2021-2022 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to be a military doctor on gawd
Please bro please you gotta believe me bro please I just want to serve my country bro please

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Please bro please you gotta believe me bro please I just want to serve my country bro please
lol now now, everybody's had a little starry-eyed bushy-tailed boot in them at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Praying for more movement this week onwards. Manifesting the good news soon! Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doing my duty to contribute to the SDN data set: got the call from Dr Liotta today, Army. Congrats to the rest of the acceptees, and for everyone else, hang in there! Your time will come.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
Doing my duty to contribute to the SDN data set: got the call from Dr Liotta today, Army. Congrats to the rest of the acceptees, and for everyone else, hang in there! Your time will come.
Congrats dude.

How do you guys handle the negative feeling of probably not getting off the waitlist and having to reapply?
As it being my second cycle applying, its tough. No way to really get around that part. Just try to focus on what you can improve for the next cycle and definitely look into applying DO. I got my A this year at UNECOM and will be attending there, but keep your chin up. This stuff is definitely competitive.

Reactions: 3 users
As it being my second cycle applying, its tough. No way to really get around that part. Just try to focus on what you can improve for the next cycle and definitely look into applying DO. I got my A this year at UNECOM and will be attending there, but keep your chin up. This stuff is definitely competitive.
That’s my plan to take a gap year and improve my app. I have to opportunity to go to civilian school next year (bridge program). But my fiancé and I are military. He is active military but I’m not. So if I go to civilian school, we probably are not going to workout and have to breakup. USUHS is the only way that we can work. It sucks. The waiting makes things more complicated.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
That’s my plan to take a gap year and improve my app. I have to opportunity to go to civilian school next year (bridge program). But my fiancé and I are military. He is active military but I’m not. So if I go to civilian school, we probably are not going to workout and have to breakup. USUHS is the only way that we can work. It sucks. The waiting makes things more complicated.
I wish you the best of luck. Be sure to mention your situation during the interview when they ask you "Why us?" as that is a really valid reason for wanting to go to USUHS! I hope it works out for you.

I wish you the best of luck. Be sure to mention your situation during the interview when they ask you "Why us?" as that is a really valid reason for wanting to go to USUHS! I hope it works out for you.
Thank you so much. Ya, might be too late to mention it now since I’m already been done with the interview. Just waiting for movement. Next time I’ll mention it if I have to reapply again.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much. Ya, might be too late to mention it now since I’m already been done with the interview. Just waiting for movement. Next time I’ll mention it if I have to reapply again.
Everything happens for a reason. Whatever is meant to be, will be. Keep the faith!

Got the call off the waitlist for Army yesterday. Interviewed in September, WL in November. Excited to meet y’all as classmates in the fall!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users

It.is still early. Don't lose hope. You could mention personal reasons in an updated letter of interest. It is a long shot but can't hurt.

• Love
I am in a similar situation. My fiancé is going to usuhs. I am waitlisted and as of now I’m attending a civilian school on HPSP. Here’s the thing - it’s 4 years. Sure it’ll suck if we have to live apart for 4 years, but at the end of it we’ll both be military and we’ll try to stay stationed together. There’s ALWAYS a risk of separation with dual military couples, but if you love each other you find a way to make it work. I’m not saying it’s easy and there aren’t compromises made, but you make it work. Going to a civ school doesn’t have to be the death of your relationship if you don’t want it to be. But I know the stress you’re under and you’re definitely not alone

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation. My fiancé is going to usuhs. I am waitlisted and as of now I’m attending a civilian school on HPSP. Here’s the thing - it’s 4 years. Sure it’ll suck if we have to live apart for 4 years, but at the end of it we’ll both be military and we’ll try to stay stationed together. There’s ALWAYS a risk of separation with dual military couples, but if you love each other you find a way to make it work. I’m not saying it’s easy and there aren’t compromises made, but you make it work. Going to a civ school doesn’t have to be the death of your relationship if you don’t want it to be. But I know the stress you’re under and you’re definitely not alone

I like your plan. Best wishes at civilian school if USUHS doesn't work out. Love will find a way to keep you all together!

I’m sorry you’re also going through this and I wish you guys the best. I’m glad to know that there’s someone else who are going through this too. I am happy that it is working for you. May I ask how far away are you guys?

We did long distance before during deployment. He said he doesn’t want to do long distance again, especially years of long distance. At some point, we want to have kid too. He would rather breakup than does long distance. We thought about him getting out and do GS jobs, but he already has 10-11 years in the military. I want the best for his career.

UNECOM is my #2! But this coming cycle will be my first round of apps.

UNECOM is my #2! But this coming cycle will be my first round of apps.
I certainly wish you the best of luck. Please reach out if you are going to visit UNECOMs campus. I'd be happy to show you around and talk about the school!

ACCEPTED! I got the call that I was off the waitlist for Navy around 1430 today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

• Love
ACCEPTED! I got the call that I was off the waitlist for Navy around 1430 today. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Congratulations. Welcome aboard!
Looks like you and your fiance can now have an easier go of things with your support system nearby.

BTW: You would get worse choices at Penn State HPSP for internship as USUHS has a higher priority for military residencies.

Last edited:
Congrats! I'm kind of in the same situation you were a couple days ago except for having a fiancé.
I have a spot at another school with HPSP, which I'm thankful to have, but I'm just waiting for Army to show me some love. I mean, historically the Army isn't about that sort of thing and it's probably the Stockholm talking but I'm at the point in my career where it doesn't make sense to stop short of 20. There's no adventure, lifestyle, or community like it.
Yeah, it's definitely the Stockholm.

So really not all that similar a situation

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi all! Any one know of any waitlist movement at all this week?

Accepted two days ago for Army. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Reactions: 5 users
Soooooo much for the predicted large amount of waitlist movement at the beginning of May (if SDN is representative of the total amount of movement). 🤷‍♀️ Best of luck to everyone staying patient and keeping themselves busy. 💪

Soooooo much for the predicted large amount of waitlist movement at the beginning of May (if SDN is representative of the total amount of movement). 🤷‍♀️ Best of luck to everyone staying patient and keeping themselves busy. 💪
I don’t think SDN is as representative as people think it is to be honest.

I don’t think SDN is as representative as people think it is to be honest.
I've been advised by my counselor there hasn't been a lot of movement either. Still, as you say, SDN probably isn't a good sample population, not that it affects waiting anyway.

USUHS, if you compare to last year, has had a lot of movement. There is still more to come in my opinion but reduced with respect to last 3 weeks. Have faith, there is more to come.

Last edited:
I've been advised by my counselor there hasn't been a lot of movement either. Still, as you say, SDN probably isn't a good sample population, not that it affects waiting anyway.
I interviewed at Drexel back in early March and they still havent given me my final decision. That school has had absolutely zero WL movement because they havent even finished reviewing interviewees. This is a weird cycle and there's still time. If youre on any waitlist, you have made it further in the process than most. Remain patient and dont lose hope!!

I just got the call today (Air Force)!!! I am beyond excited to meet you all this August.

Take it from someone who basically was hopeless about getting off the WL to tell you that y’all need to continue to have hope. I was told there were several other A’s given out today too so the WL is moving. Good luck all!

• Love
Hello, is there any prior service Air Force who were accepted that can help me with a question?
Do you know when our Date of Separation would be? I assume it would be 31 July 2022, which would be the day before Orientation on 1 Aug 2022... Any guidance?

Note: I haven't had anyone reach out to me regarding orders yet, but I just got the conditional acceptance this morning, so that could be why. However, the more I wait, the more the TMO dates get pushed back.

Thanks in advance!

Hello, is there any prior service Air Force who were accepted that can help me with a question?
Do you know when our Date of Separation would be? I assume it would be 31 July 2022, which would be the day before Orientation on 1 Aug 2022... Any guidance?

Note: I haven't had anyone reach out to me regarding orders yet, but I just got the conditional acceptance this morning, so that could be why. However, the more I wait, the more the TMO dates get pushed back.

Thanks in advance!

You will get unconditional soon and after that but before Aug 1st they will issue orders. That is all I know as I just found a place to live there

I think it’s absolutely unreal that they call the waitlist a delayed acceptance. With all due respect, they blatantly lied about how they evaluate the waitlist and proceed to string along the vast majority of candidates when in reality there is no chance of being accepted at all. They need to be more forthright about how they describe things. I would love to serve but when there is no chance of me being accepted putting me on a waitlist and getting me hype for no reason is not the way. We’ll be back next year but I’m very disappointed by this. Would have rather been rejected at this point.
I hear your frustrations. Did you call them and they reported there was no chance? This post, while warranted, seemed a little random.

I think it’s absolutely unreal that they call the waitlist a delayed acceptance. With all due respect, they blatantly lied about how they evaluate the waitlist and proceed to string along the vast majority of candidates when in reality there is no chance of being accepted at all. They need to be more forthright about how they describe things. I would love to serve but when there is no chance of me being accepted putting me on a waitlist and getting me hype for no reason is not the way. We’ll be back next year but I’m very disappointed by this. Would have rather been rejected at this point.
A waitlist spot means meeting criteria for acceptance but without any available (not obligated) seats in the class. How do you believe they lied about the waitlist?

So many don't pass physical or medical requirements which causes them to add from wait-list. From year to year this varies. Several hold into all acceptances until last minute which prompts use of waitlists There was one school with a ranked wait-list who over accepted and then chose just a couple who ranked lower than others...that is not being transparent. The whole system from school to school has issues..

I did not call them but at the same time it’s June. For there to be movement at this point would require those who were offered a spot off the waitlist to drop which is not super likely. The math shows that movement should not really be happening that much. Sure there is a chance but it’s certainly hyped up way too much. I’m honestly not upset about not getting in, med school is competitive so you can’t hang your head over it. However, I do have a problem with the lies. I think they should ideally be more competitive about their waitlist and put more people (such as myself) on the alternative list so that 100% of people on the waitlist are getting in and they can then draw from the alternate list. I am sure that Around the same number of people will come off the waitlist as last year so doing that straight up makes everyone life a little easier.
You sound like you'd be miserable at usu.

Reactions: 7 users
@AMANEY01

Semantically speaking, the waitlist IS a delayed acceptance for a proportion of applicants. This is true for all medical schools - not just USUHS. Yes, the system isn't great. I understand your frustration because I'm in the same boat as you. I was on the same boat last cycle, too. However, it's blatantly false to claim that "in reality there is no chance of being accepted at all". Unless this system is even more broken than we realize and the numbers reported by both USU and AAMC are fabricated, approximately 40-50% of the WL will end up receiving an acceptance. As reported by both students and adcoms at USU (literally in your WL letter), being placed on the waitlist here means you met the criteria for acceptance without there being any available seats. Some students are more qualified than others, so that's also taken into consideration. If the class size were like 500, there would be no need for a waitlist but government budgets don't work that way. It's not some black hole that USU pulls out of.

As mentioned, there are several schools that don't have CTE/PTE (or whatever it's called) until June. Some students do hold onto acceptances until the very last minute. There are individuals who will end up medically DQ'ing, dropping out, or failing physical requirements. USU experiences the most waitlist movement in April/May. It slows down in June and stops sometime in July/August. I didn't believe it until I received an A at the end of July last cycle. I took a calculated risk when I declined my spot, knowing that I could end up on the WL again (and here I am). I know that I may not be accepted, but I don't regret anything. I'm very well ready to reapply for a third (and probably final) time after taking another gap year. Another year of AMCAS improvements, personal growth, and time isn't enough to get between me and my dream. Did you know that the average age of incoming medical school students is now 25-26?

Be a little more humble. Be a little more grateful. We've all worked hard to get where we are. We're all tired and stressed. The whole system is flawed but it's the best that we have. You have every right to be frustrated, but understand that this little inconvenience doesn't exist in the grand scheme of things.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
@AMANEY01

Semantically speaking, the waitlist IS a delayed acceptance for a proportion of applicants. This is true for all medical schools - not just USUHS. Yes, the system isn't great. I understand your frustration because I'm in the same boat as you. I was on the same boat last cycle, too. However, it's blatantly false to claim that "in reality there is no chance of being accepted at all". Unless this system is even more broken than we realize and the numbers reported by both USU and AAMC are fabricated, approximately 40-50% of the WL will end up receiving an acceptance. As reported by both students and adcoms at USU (literally in your WL letter), being placed on the waitlist here means you met the criteria for acceptance without there being any available seats. Some students are more qualified than others, so that's also taken into consideration. If the class size were like 500, there would be no need for a waitlist but government budgets don't work that way. It's not some black hole that USU pulls out of.

As mentioned, there are several schools that don't have CTE/PTE (or whatever it's called) until June. Some students do hold onto acceptances until the very last minute. There are individuals who will end up medically DQ'ing, dropping out, or failing physical requirements. USU experiences the most waitlist movement in April/May. It slows down in June and stops sometime in July/August. I didn't believe it until I received an A at the end of July last cycle. I took a calculated risk when I declined my spot, knowing that I could end up on the WL again (and here I am). I know that I may not be accepted, but I don't regret anything. I'm very well ready to reapply for a third (and probably final) time after taking another gap year. Another year of AMCAS improvements, personal growth, and time isn't enough to get between me and my dream. Did you know that the average age of incoming medical school students is now 25-26?

Be a little more humble. Be a little more grateful. We've all worked hard to get where we are. We're all tired and stressed. The whole system is flawed but it's the best that we have. You have every right to be frustrated, but understand that this little inconvenience doesn't exist in the grand scheme of things.
This is why I love the community here on SDN. Wholesome, thank you!

• Love
@AMANEY01

At the risk of someone trying to act bigger than they are by saying "just to caveat/piggyback/echo what they said".... actually I don't care, I'm going for it. And don't take this as a personal attack, this is meant for everyone.

One thing I really wish/hope everyone would grasp is that this is still the military. The medical corps is an entirely different animal from the rest of the military. It's a lot more casual and personable, even more so than the Air Force ;), but it's still the military, like a domesticated husky is to a wolf if that makes sense. While there aren't Drill Sergeants/Drill Instructors storming around knifehanding and yelling at people, there's a lot to this lifestyle that folks will need to get used to. While prior-service people will need to get used to smiling and acting like real people, prior-civilians have a lot more on their plate, and to keep it relevant here, uncertainty is a big one.

More than just not knowing things because of not possessing the need-to-know, there are a lot of things that we won't know, oftentimes not until the last minute. Orders probably won't get cut until the last minute, there will be a problem with pay, what time is assembly, when are we going home, what uniform are we wearing, where are we going, what will we be doing, where are we sleeping, what's the weather going to be like, do I need cold weather gear, where's the pizza?
I've had friends get jerked around on orders, "hey you're going on this rotation, pack up your house."
(packs up house) "hey never mind, orders got pushed back 4 months."
(unpacks house) "hey they need senior guys as instructors, pack up your house."
(packs up house) "hey never mind, they found someone."
(unpacks house) "hey they need you to replace this one guy, got nightmarish diarrhea. probably AIDS."
(packs up house) "hey never mind, there's only a couple months left so the colonel said not to bother."
(unpacks house) "hey, battalion commander said he wants you in-country next week for the final exercise."

Military operations from combat operations to orders getting pushed down from Human Resources Command to last minute "hey the commander needs this done before we cut out for the day" will always have some amount of uncertainty, some more than others, that's just how it is. Believe me, it'll always be there. This is often what drives training schedules, so when the call comes down and the commanding general needs to know who is ready to go, they'll know who to send.
Believe me, I understand the frustration, I really do, but if going to USUHS and getting on active duty is your goal, there's a lot you will need to get used to.

TL;DR - uncertainty is always going to be there, might as well get used to it now or reconsider your choices.

Reactions: 7 users
At the risk of someone trying to act bigger than they are by saying "just to caveat/piggyback/echo what they said".... actually I don't care, I'm going for it. And don't take this as a personal attack, this is meant for everyone.

One thing I really wish/hope everyone would grasp is that this is still the military. The medical corps is an entirely different animal from the rest of the military. It's a lot more casual and personable, even more so than the Air Force ;), but it's still the military, like a domesticated husky is to a wolf if that makes sense. While there aren't Drill Sergeants/Drill Instructors storming around knifehanding and yelling at people, there's a lot to this lifestyle that folks will need to get used to. While prior-service people will need to get used to smiling and acting like real people, prior-civilians have a lot more on their plate, and to keep it relevant here, uncertainty is a big one.

More than just not knowing things because of not possessing the need-to-know, there are a lot of things that we won't know, oftentimes not until the last minute. Orders probably won't get cut until the last minute, there will be a problem with pay, what time is assembly, when are we going home, what uniform are we wearing, where are we going, what will we be doing, where are we sleeping, what's the weather going to be like, do I need cold weather gear, where's the pizza?
I've had friends get jerked around on orders, "hey you're going on this rotation, pack up your house."
(packs up house) "hey never mind, orders got pushed back 4 months."
(unpacks house) "hey they need senior guys as instructors, pack up your house."
(packs up house) "hey never mind, they found someone."
(unpacks house) "hey they need you to replace this one guy, got nightmarish diarrhea. probably AIDS."
(packs up house) "hey never mind, there's only a couple months left so the colonel said not to bother."
(unpacks house) "hey, battalion commander said he wants you in-country next week for the final exercise."

Military operations from combat operations to orders getting pushed down from Human Resources Command to last minute "hey the commander needs this done before we cut out for the day" will always have some amount of uncertainty, some more than others, that's just how it is. Believe me, it'll always be there. This is often what drives training schedules, so when the call comes down and the commanding general needs to know who is ready to go, they'll know who to send.
Believe me, I understand the frustration, I really do, but if going to USUHS and getting on active duty is your goal, there's a lot you will need to get used to.

TL;DR - uncertainty is always going to be there, might as well get used to it now or reconsider your choices.

and the point is...you have an issue with Airforce! Just Kidding.

I have said this before and mean it. The truth is everyone who was accepted or waitlisted has what it takes based on USUHS criteria and I would be honored to be classmates with all of you. Selection off the waitlist may be slowing down alot but it is continuing..be patient. Remember, selection is just a numbers game and some of it is really subjective and somewhat arbitrary. On a personal note, if you can put up with the aggravation of being told what to do and the uncertainty of being in the military, this life is for you. Bear with it even if it takes another cycle to realize your dreams, it will be worth it to those who know what they are getting into.

Last edited:
and the point is...you have an issue with Airforce! Just Kidding.

The truth is everyone who was accepted or waitlisted has what it takes based on USUHS criteria and I would be honored to be classmates with you. Selection off the waitlist may be slowing down alot but it is continuing..be patient. Remember, selection is just a numbers game and some of it is really subjective and somewhat arbitrary. On a personal note, if you can put up with the aggravation of being told what to do and the uncertainty of being in the military, this life is for you. Bear with it even if it takes another cycle to realize your dreams, it will be worth it to those who know what they are getting into.
lol well Air Force is the happiest branch so of course Dirt Force has to hate them ;)
it's mostly jealousy but also when air crews don't put us over the drop zone.
and much like waiting for those planes to arrive so we can get on them and jump, our waiting continues. maybe we'll get scratched, maybe we'll get the green light. at this point we have no control over it.

Just want to remind everyone on the WL that they probably don't have to go through the entire list to get to you. Some people "ahead" of you will have already committed to other schools or never wanted to be in the military any way and turn down the offer. Moral of the story, it only takes ONE!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
I just got the call from Capt. Liotta this morning for Air Force!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
As I said, WL is still moving...albeit at a slower pace. Keep the faith. It ain't over until it's over. For the reasons I stated in an earlier post, this is one school that admits off the wait-list well into July. Too early to give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hi! Has anyone been admitted with a sub 500 score (but above their 496 screening minimum?) Please no discouraging comments. I think I'm only applying to USU anyways because it's the only school I want to go to but got a 498
Hey! Their avg class matriculant MCAT is around 510/511. I wouldn't count yourself out of the running completely depending on other factors of your application. The only cost to you would be the primary fee as the secondary is free to submit. It couldn't hurt to retake and raise that score to increase your competitiveness.

Hi! Has anyone been admitted with a sub 500 score (but above their 496 screening minimum?) Please no discouraging comments. I think I'm only applying to USU anyways because it's the only school I want to go to but got a 498
Hi MangoMouse! USU is open about the fact that they value other attributes like leadership, history of service (either community or military), and cultural fit over test scores. That being said, test scores and grades will be evaluated as a means to predict success in a rigorous academic program. Capt. Liotta mentioned in a podcast interview that the AAMC’s stance is that a score of 500 indicates an applicant has the foundation to succeed in medical school curriculum, and USU follows that philosophy.

As ftrdr2021 pointed out, there’s nothing to lose by applying here, because it’s free. I would recommend learning as much as you can about the program and listen to Capt. Liotta’s interview on All Access: Med School Admissions. He speaks to what the school is looking for aside from test scores, and even mentions that USU is known for rejecting high metric applicants because they aren’t a fit for the program in other ways. If you feel you’re a great fit and are excited about military medicine, I would go for it and build a strategic application that showcases why you’re going to be an excellent military physician and what you’ve done to serve those in need in the past. Best of luck!

I would also add that if you have prior service (active duty or even rotc or reserves) you might be ok. However, if not I would personally try to retake asap or consider also applying to some DO schools and HPSP. At the end of the day you’ll be a military doctor either way. For those that aren’t prior military usuhs has much higher standards for GPA and MCAT. Good luck!