2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UAB MS-4 here, wasting time in between interviews. Any questions? Just don't ask stuff about the timing of interview invites and acceptances because that information has long since fallen out of my head.

Which campus are you on? How do you like it there?

Members don't see this ad.

Which campus are you on? How do you like it there?

I'm Birmingham campus. For the latter two years, I love it. There are pros and cons for each location. The Birmingham campus is hardcore. You're thrown into a teaching hospital and will be a part of a team very similar to what you'll experience during residency. This means that a lot of times there will be several people in between you and the attending physician. I still felt that, on most services, this dynamic worked out just fine because you're exposed to a lot of people who all are at various points in their medical education. It's sort of like being able to see the before and after shots of clinical training, which can be reassuring when you're just starting out on your clinicals and know nothing.

The good part is that, because it's the major teaching hospital in Alabama, you'll get some amazing cases. Zebras, indigent patients who present late with advanced pathology, and really complicated patients that outside hospitals can't handle. But we're not so specialized that you won't see the bread and butter cases, especially when you rotate through the VA. The team atmosphere is useful because it teaches you how to function as part of a treatment team. Whatever you want to do, whatever obscure specialty, is available here. It's also really easy to hook up with potential research projects while on the wards. If I had it to do all over again, I'd still pick the Birmingham campus as my top choice. Even though it meant that my surgery rotation work day started at least three hours before the typical work day on the branch campuses.

I obviously don't have personal experience with the other campuses, but I think Huntsville is fairly similar to the Birmingham campus. Their hospital is large (900 beds), and they have a family medicine as well as an internal medicine residency programs that staff the internal medicine, peds, and ob/gyn services. I know nothing about the Tuscaloosa or Montgomery campus other than my classmates seemed to be happy there.

I'm Birmingham campus. For the latter two years, I love it. There are pros and cons for each location. The Birmingham campus is hardcore. You're thrown into a teaching hospital and will be a part of a team very similar to what you'll experience during residency. This means that a lot of times there will be several people in between you and the attending physician. I still felt that, on most services, this dynamic worked out just fine because you're exposed to a lot of people who all are at various points in their medical education. It's sort of like being able to see the before and after shots of clinical training, which can be reassuring when you're just starting out on your clinicals and know nothing.

The good part is that, because it's the major teaching hospital in Alabama, you'll get some amazing cases. Zebras, indigent patients who present late with advanced pathology, and really complicated patients that outside hospitals can't handle. But we're not so specialized that you won't see the bread and butter cases, especially when you rotate through the VA. The team atmosphere is useful because it teaches you how to function as part of a treatment team. Whatever you want to do, whatever obscure specialty, is available here. It's also really easy to hook up with potential research projects while on the wards. If I had it to do all over again, I'd still pick the Birmingham campus as my top choice. Even though it meant that my surgery rotation work day started at least three hours before the typical work day on the branch campuses.

I obviously don't have personal experience with the other campuses, but I think Huntsville is fairly similar to the Birmingham campus. Their hospital is large (900 beds), and they have a family medicine as well as an internal medicine residency programs that staff the internal medicine, peds, and ob/gyn services. I know nothing about the Tuscaloosa or Montgomery campus other than my classmates seemed to be happy there.

Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. How did you enjoy the first couple of years? Do you have much knowledge of the similarities and differences to other comparable med schools? What did you like/dislike about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
UAB MS-4 here, wasting time in between interviews. Any questions? Just don't ask stuff about the timing of interview invites and acceptances because that information has long since fallen out of my head.

How rigorous were first two years?
Do academic classes successfully train you for USMLE?

Awesome, thanks for the detailed reply. How did you enjoy the first couple of years? Do you have much knowledge of the similarities and differences to other comparable med schools? What did you like/dislike about it?

How rigorous were first two years?
Do academic classes successfully train you for USMLE?

I'll take these two questions together since they're interrelated.

The blunt honest truth is that I hated the preclinical years at UAB. They made me regret and really question my decision to go to medical school. It all boiled down to some serious problems with the curriculum, a ridiculous attendance policy, and module leaders that seemed to exercise little control over the intended lecturers. A lot of times it felt that our administrators were so keyed into not teaching to Step 1 that they did the exact opposite. I can't tell you how many times I had to sit through a verbal circle jerk on some PhD's pet project. And I say this as someone who appreciates research, even basic science research, and wants a career in academic medicine. I owe much my preclinical education to first aid, pathoma, wikipedia, and Youtube. I really didn't feel that well prepared for Step 1.

BUT, things are changing. It may be a little begrudgingly, but the administrators have started to acknowledge and work towards addressing the problems in the preclinical curriculum. Attendance is no longer mandatory. Half of the exams in a given module are NBME. Anatomy has instituted MS4 tutors to rotate through the room during dissections. We've also had a decent amount of turnover in our administrators, and some fresh blood has taken their places. Of specific note is Dr. Van Wagoner, who was recently promoted from his normal post as internal medicine clerkship director to assistant dean for students. He is one of the kindest people you'll ever meet, and he is widely known among students to be one of the biggest advocates for medical students at UAB. Overall, I feel like the current set-up, especially with taking so many NBME exams and lesser emphasis on in-house exams, is a much better way to prepare students for the boards. The classes behind mine are definitely in a much better position going into their dedicated Step 1 prep time than my class and the classes ahead of me.

As for the curriculum, we're hardcore systems based. You'll start off with Patients, Doctors, and Society (PDS), which is the only truly pass/fail grade you'll receive at UAB. It's a pain to wade through, but I give props to our administrators for instituting this two week class. It gives you a chance to get into a groove, make friends, and figure out how you're going to take notes and study during medical school. It's low incredibly low stress. You'll then move through "fundamentals" which goes through the more basic science topics like biochemistry, cell and molecular, micro, immunology, etc. After that you tackle each organ system. You cover everything: embryology, anatomy, physiology, pathology, and pharmacology during each organ module. During first year you cover: cardio, pulm, GI, and renal. Cardio and pulm are consistently well taught and heavily run by actual practicing clinicians. GI is difficult because the in-house exam is made up of "guess what I'm thinking" questions (not board style, as the directors like to claim). During second year you cover: musculoskeletal/derm/rheum, neurology, hematology, endocrinology, and reproduction. The msk and neuro modules were a disaster when I took them, largely due to the course directors for each module. Those people have since been replaced.

I feel like third and four year is where UAB really shines. We have some great educators on the wards. Though I'm undoubtedly biased, I feel like the best rotations are medicine, pediatrics, family medicine, and emergency medicine. I'm not into more surgically oriented specialties, and I feel like there's some malignancy in those departments. But I've also had friends who go through those rotations quite happily, so YMMV. The bottom line is that I absolutely, 100% felt prepared for Step 2 CK... and I killed it as a result. For fourth year, you get 12 weeks total of time off (not counting two additional weeks for Christmas break) to study for step 2 (CK and CS), residency interviews, and vacation, and the elective choices are awesome.

TLDR: Preclinicals sucked at UAB but are improving, the clinical years are awesome.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you'll have Introduction to Clinical Medicine (ICM) during your first and second years. This class guides your early clinical experiences with patients. Unfortunately I feel like a lot of what you get out of this class is based on who your clinical preceptor is. Some put in more effort than others. They've attempted to change this by hand selecting and paying ICM preceptors. I don't have an opinion on whether or not this worked in the long run. The current third years and below would probably have a more updated opinion based on the changes. I had a love-hate relationship with this class. I enjoyed getting out of the classroom to see actual patients, but the program directors of thise class seem to be in love with busy work and pointless projects that only look good on paper. I will say that this class and the associated OSCEs prepared me pretty well for Step 2 CS. I was better able to see the worth of this class only after completing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
@UABMS4 Thanks so much for that honest response. I loved what I've seen of the school so far but it is great to hear from someone who has been through it. I'm sure I'll come up with some more questions to pester you with soon!

No problem, y'all. I'm more than happy to provide as much information as y'all want. I will not sugar coat it because I feel like way too much of that happens as it is. If you have any more questions just hit me with an @UABMS4 and I'll try to respond when I get a chance.

I will say that I am incredibly happy with my decision to attend UAB. I didn't feel that way during the preclinical years, but I feel like in retrospect you will appreciate a lot of the things you'll hate about the preclinical years when you're in the trenches. For me, the third and fourth year curriculum made up for the bull**** of the preclinical years. I can't say enough good stuff about the clinical educators and residents in most of our core curriculums. For that reason UAB is actually at the top of my list for potential residency spots.

I also appreciate the fact that they're are attempts to fix things. There's nothing worse than feeling like your legitimate complaints are falling on deaf ears. The fact that changes are being instituted to combat all the things I hated the most gives me hope that the preclinical years have improved. But I'd really suggest talking to the current second years if you get a chance. They're the second class to go through the changes and can provide better insight as to whether the changes implemented have fixed the problems I outlined.

Good luck, y'all. It's a rough process. Stay distracted and stay positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Any current or past students willing to share their likes/dislikes and experiences at UAB? Interviewing here soon and I'd love to hear current students' thoughts about the school as it's one of my top choices.

What do you want to know? I'm a MS3 at UAB.

It's an excellent med school. It's very well funded. The facilities are first class. I've been sent on numerous presentations all over the US, all paid for by the SOM.

I was well-prepared for my Step I exam and scored in the high 250's, which is high enough to be competitive for any speciality.

We don't get "grades" per se, we are told scores, but the main thing is what quartile you're in. For competitive specialties, you have to be in the top quartile....that's probably true for all SOMs

It's a pretty social SOM. From what I understand, that's a southern thing. We have parties and socials. Our White Coat Ceremony was a weekend of events. The alums are very financially supportive with scholarships, hosting a White Coat weekend dinner for families and guests, providing our White Coats, etc.

Since the state is small, population-wise, but the med school is highly ranked, it is the pride of the state. The Board of Regents is focused on making UAB SOM even stronger than it already is.

Right now, I'm in rotations and loving it.

If you're worried about culture shock, don't be. I'm not originally from the state, but am instate now. I'm from the west coast. It's a very cosmopoliton city and med school. There is no culture shock....at all.

Yes, the school does seem to take "forever" with decisions, particulary with non-URM males. Females seem to have an easier time at both AL SOMs. UAB was the last med school that accepted me (I had other acceptances), but it was my top choice, so the decision was easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like some of the changes have improved the preclinical curriculum. Having two years worth of NBME exams under your belt before taking Step 1 is HUGE. It absolutely changes how you study, and for the better. My class only got one year of that due to the timing that the change was instituted. It is, by far, the best change to the preclinical curriculum put into practice in my opinion.

Though, I have to point out, that although @SOMBound13 did exceedingly well on Step 1, that's not the average experience at UAB. We were never given the numbers about our class, but UAB students have historically been close to or marginally above the national average. The class above mine was a hair above the national average at 228 (when the national avg was 227) for Step 1 and in the mid-to-high 240s for Step 2 (when the national avg was 238-239).

Y'all I'm really nervous (as I'm sure everyone is, haha). My grades are eh (~3.0) and my MCAT is eh (499), but I think my resume is good, I went to a good school (Furman), and I'm an in-state applicant. Anyone in the same boat? I would love to hear from current UAB students or current applicants/reapplicants.

Y'all I'm really nervous (as I'm sure everyone is, haha). My grades are eh (~3.0) and my MCAT is eh (499), but I think my resume is good, I went to a good school (Furman), and I'm an in-state applicant. Anyone in the same boat? I would love to hear from current UAB students or current applicants/reapplicants.

I'm also an in-state applicant and still waiting for II.
Completed in 10/12

Members don't see this ad :)

I can't really give you any kind of blinding insight since I'm not a part of admissions. I can't tell you much more than you already know: your GPA is below average for UAB, and I have no idea what happened to MCAT scoring since I took it. As an in-state applicant your biggest hurdle is going to be getting an interview. The fact that both your GPA and MCAT are, in your words, "eh" is going to hurt you. Most people I know with a meh GPA made up for it with a solid MCAT, or vise versa. However, I do think that UAB takes other parts of an application into consideration. Two big things at UAB are primary care and research--showing a dedication to one or both of those can help your application.

That's all I've really got. The waiting sucks, I know, but hang in there. I got interview invites as late as January. It's still relatively early.

Has any reapplicant had an II yet?

Unfortunately I think we're fighting a losing battle here since they seem to not review reaps until after Jan 1.
FWIW I'm OOS but neighboring w ties, (UA grad) LizzyM ~72

edit: OH and still in "secondary in process" but submitted late August

Unfortunately I think we're fighting a losing battle here since they seem to not review reaps until after Jan 1.

You and me both friend.. Same LizzyM, same situation, same status. My problem is I'll be out if the country from the end of January till the end of April so I may be SOL.

Same boat, but IS, UAB undergrad and grad school. Just started a research tech job in the DOM so hopefully this will help out my app! And I'm happy to know I'm not the only one with that status lol.

Well at least it's comforting to know I'm not the only one. Keep the faith y'all and stay distracted

Reactions: 3 users
Sounds like some of the changes have improved the preclinical curriculum. Having two years worth of NBME exams under your belt before taking Step 1 is HUGE. It absolutely changes how you study, and for the better. My class only got one year of that due to the timing that the change was instituted. It is, by far, the best change to the preclinical curriculum put into practice in my opinion.

Though, I have to point out, that although @SOMBound13 did exceedingly well on Step 1, that's not the average experience at UAB. We were never given the numbers about our class, but UAB students have historically been close to or marginally above the national average. The class above mine was a hair above the national average at 228 (when the national avg was 227) for Step 1 and in the mid-to-high 240s for Step 2 (when the national avg was 238-239).

Was the national average 227 when you took it? I haven't really kept track of the history, but it seems to increase each year. Either way, as mentioned, having 2 years of NBME exams is huge.

What I've noticed, and this may be true of many state SOMs, is that you have a mixed bag of students. You have some that are striving for top stats because they want a competitive residency, and you have some who seem ok with rather average results because their goals are different. One of my housemates is just fine with passing.

Also...I don't know how those admitted thru that rural medicine program are affecting numbers. From what I've heard, their stats as admits were modest at best, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that their Step 1 scores might be modest.

Last edited:
I'm also an in-state applicant and still waiting for II.
Completed in 10/12

Same position as you all. IS with "remain under consideration for interview". My secondary was fully complete 10/24. Hope we all get interview invites soon!!!!

Same position as you all. IS with "remain under consideration for interview". My secondary was fully complete 10/24. Hope we all get interview invites soon!!!!

Hopefully we get one by this week!
I checked the thread from last year and it seems that people got IIs a week before the interview week.

Yes! Just got my status changed to secondary and complete after months of being in processed.

Was the national average 227 when you took it? I haven't really kept track of the history, but it seems to increase each year. Either way, as mentioned, having 2 years of NBME exams is huge.

What I've noticed, and this may be true of many state SOMs, is that you have a mixed bag of students. You have some that are striving for top stats because they want a competitive residency, and you have some who seem ok with rather average results because their goals are different. One of my housemates is just fine with passing.

Also...I don't know how those admitted thru that rural medicine program are affecting numbers. From what I've heard, their stats as admits were modest at best, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that their Step 1 scores might be modest.

The avg was 227 the year before I took it. It changed to 228 shortly after I took it. Not sure what happened after my class.

Anyone from 10-22 or 10-29 interview days hear anything yet about acceptances??

Any other applicants thinking about doing the MPH as well? Current students, any thoughts on the program?

Does sending Grades from fall semester senior year that are much higher than your gpa help your case or do they even look at that?

Secondary still in process!! Interviewing with South Wednesday. Friends who completed roughly one week before me have already received II's, so I expected to see something change in a week's timeframe to no avail. I'm guessing that I will probably be finished processing and receive some notification around time for the next batch of interviews? Does anyone know when that may be??

Secondary still in process!! Interviewing with South Wednesday. Friends who completed roughly one week before me have already received II's, so I expected to see something change in a week's timeframe to no avail. I'm guessing that I will probably be finished processing and receive some notification around time for the next batch of interviews? Does anyone know when that may be??
I'm assuming it will be after this Thursday interviews. I'm in the same situation already gotten an II from South. When did you submit yours?

Anyone have any idea when interviewers will hear back? I know that they said anytime from now until April...but wasn't for sure when the committee meets

Last edited:
Anyone have any idea when 10/22-29 interviewers will hear back? I know that they said anytime from now until April...but wasn't for sure when the committee meets

It looks like they have released decisions mostly on Fridays, and in years past, it looks like they've admitted people on the Friday a week or two before Thanksgiving... So maybe the 10.22/29 interviewees could hear back for the first time this Friday?

That's total speculation on my part though!

Interviewed on 11/5. In state, LizzyM ~70. The wait is killing me. Still waiting on II from USA.

Yes. I took a really late august mcat. Hopefully we both will get interviews!
Yeah, pretty similar. One of my letters got turned in very late, so I think that's pushed me back a little bit. Yes, I hope we both do! Best of luck to you!

Just got this in the mail, did anyone else get something like this?

Attachments

• IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 182
I'm assuming it will be after this Thursday interviews. I'm in the same situation already gotten an II from South. When did you submit yours?

I submitted my secondary 9/22. However, my committee letter didn't get uploaded until 10/30. This did not stop South from giving me an II though, which is this Wednesday. Perhaps it was because I already had two other individual letters in, but I can't be sure. Friends of mine that were in exactly the same position as me received their committee letters exactly one week prior to me and got an II on 11/7.

Interviewed on 11/5. In state, LizzyM ~70. The wait is killing me. Still waiting on II from USA.

USA is so weird about II's. If you're a male, you can easily have to wait until late Jan for an II...and then get accepted a day or two later. If you're a female (instate), with good stats, you'll get interviewed in the fall.

Do you have any sort of hook? URM?

If not, I'm sorry to say but I would be surprised if you got an II. Your MCAT is low (about a MCAT 25) and your GPA is low. Is that your cum GPA and your science GPA?

Unless you're a URM or have some hook, I don't see you getting into UAB or USA.

You might even be too low for DO schools....not sure. Did you apply to any DO schools?

Does Furman have premed advising?? What did your advisor tell you about your chances?

Last edited:
Interviewed on 11/5. In state, LizzyM ~70. The wait is killing me.

Just to give you some perspective. I interviewed 3 years ago, the first week in October. LizzyM ~74. I wasn't accepted until February. A friend of mine, similar stats (but a female) interviewed the same day and was accepted in November.

Just got this in the mail, did anyone else get something like this?
I got that yesterday. I died a little when I saw the envelope. I read the first line and screamed for joy, the second line made me mad. Why must they play with my emotions like that?!

Acceptance just now! I interviewed 10/29

My previous post on the timing of the news was WRONG!

Accepted just now!!! Interviewed 10.29... Can't wait to meet some of you guys next year!

Reactions: 5 users