2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete and under review about a week ago. They don't send you email reminders, I was just bored in class one day and decided to check. Submitted 8/17.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete & under review for about 4 months last year.

"Complete & Under Review" = "your file is somewhere in this room."

I'm sure you guys will have a better experience, I didn't get in after all :)

Members don't see this ad :)
When were you complete?
I submitted everything on 8/11, and I don't think it took much longer than a week for my secondary to be complete & under review. My status switched to "Remain Under Consideration for Interview" for a few days before II on 9/8

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know if/how we can send post-secondary updates about new jobs/clinical experiences? I see that we can email about grades and academic honors but I can't find anything for different updates.

Members don't see this ad :)
Me! Mine did sometime last week

Cool -- when did you submit/have everything complete? I submitted everything near the end of August (26th-28th I think?) and am still under processing... I'm wanting to give them a call to make sure there aren't any issues, but other people have said they've been in process for a long time as well.

Cool -- when did you submit/have everything complete? I submitted everything near the end of August (26th-28th I think?) and am still under processing... I'm wanting to give them a call to make sure there aren't any issues, but other people have said they've been in process for a long time as well.

I'm still at "Secondary in process" as well. Was complete at the same time as you.

People still in the "Secondary in process" stage, are any of you reapplicants? I just found this information on their website "In the best interests of applicants, Reapplicant applications will be reviewed starting after January 1, 2016, however the applications must be completed by the deadlines given. This later review process is done so that any reapplicant has time and can send in supplemental information to add to their application (fall course grades, additional shadowing/volunteer, etc.) for the Committee to review." and hope that doesn't mean that I will be in "processing" until January 1, 2016.....

Edit: Submitted August 15, 2015 and still in processing.

People still in the "Secondary in process" stage, are any of you reapplicants? I just found this information on their website "In the best interests of applicants, Reapplicant applications will be reviewed starting after January 1, 2016, however the applications must be completed by the deadlines given. This later review process is done so that any reapplicant has time and can send in supplemental information to add to their application (fall course grades, additional shadowing/volunteer, etc.) for the Committee to review." and hope that doesn't mean that I will be in "processing" until January 1, 2016.....

I am a first-time applicant. I know of someone who submitted on ~August 17-19 as a first-time applicant who has progressed on to "Complete/Under review."

****. Shiiiiiit. I completely forgot about this. Sigh. I am so sick of this process.

Ca'mon South Alabama, its on you to calm my nerves through the holiday season

Thanks for posting - probably saved me a bunch of panic attacks while I waited to hear something

I was complete 8/12, they're probably just making their way down the line

Any current or past students willing to share their likes/dislikes and experiences at UAB? Interviewing here soon and I'd love to hear current students' thoughts about the school as it's one of my top choices.

****. Shiiiiiit. I completely forgot about this. Sigh. I am so sick of this process.

Ca'mon South Alabama, its on you to calm my nerves through the holiday season

Thanks for posting - probably saved me a bunch of panic attacks while I waited to hear something

I'm right there with you, buddy. Re-applying with improved EC's and praying I get in this time. I'm praying for you too.

Secondary in process. IS, nontrad, ~72 LizzyM (took new mcat, rough conversion). Waiting on committee letter :cryi::cryi::cryi:

Good luck to the OOS applicants. UAB's tough for OOS.

I'm first time applicant. Sent in my secondary and everything by the end of august. My status is still "Secondary in Process." Should I call them or anything? OOS.

I'm first time applicant. Sent in my secondary and everything by the end of august. My status is still "Secondary in Process." Should I call them or anything? OOS.
I wouldn't, I submitted within a week of when they first sent out secondaries and haven't heard anything OOS. Just sit tight!

For those of you with secondaries- did you expand on your EC descriptions above and beyond what was automatically imported by AMCAS??? We get 1500chars for everything, just not sure if it will help/hurt to use up all of that space (it DOES say "Brief Description")...

For those of you with secondaries- did you expand on your EC descriptions above and beyond what was automatically imported by AMCAS??? We get 1500chars for everything, just not sure if it will help/hurt to use up all of that space (it DOES say "Brief Description")...

I added some more to some of my listings, but not all.

II yesterday (10/2)! OOS, but I went to Auburn.
Can anyone who has already interviewed here describe how it went/format? Thanks!

II yesterday (10/2)! OOS, but I went to Auburn.
Can anyone who has already interviewed here describe how it went/format? Thanks!

What date did you submit your secondary?

What date did you submit your secondary?
Mid august, I think I submitted on 8/15. The portal didn't update to "complete and under review" until about a week or so ago.

Mid august, I think I submitted on 8/15. The portal didn't update to "complete and under review" until about a week or so ago.

Do you mind me asking what your stats are like? (GPA, MCAT, EC's)

Do you mind me asking what your stats are like? (GPA, MCAT, EC's)
Yeah I am a non traditional applicant, naval submarine officer. Mech engineering 3.75c 3.89s, 31 mcat

II received yesterday, 10.2.

Submitted secondary late-ish August. Processed application on 9.24. AL resident, first-time traditional applicant.

Any current or past students willing to share their likes/dislikes and experiences at UAB? Interviewing here soon and I'd love to hear current students' thoughts about the school as it's one of my top choices.

Really awesome school! We have A) a great faculty who are heavily invested in our experience, B) an amazing set of facilities to explore all areas of medicine, and most importantly, C) the people in every class are incredible. They really become your lifelong friends, and there is more social interaction and collaboration here than at many allopathic schools.

There are endless opportunities to pursue high-level research here; if you rank schools by NIH funding, this campus blows many tier-1 schools out of the water. I have really enjoyed our longitudinal intro to clinical medicine course, and I am getting very comfortable in the wards/clinic. The only downside that I can think of is that research-intensive schools generally tend to go beyond the scope of the board-exam content. However, in recent years, the school is gearing the experience for more success on step-1, and I am confident that the MS-2 class will rock step-1 this summer. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
What are the odds of receiving an interview when put on the "remain under consideration for interview" status?

What are the odds of receiving an interview when put on the "remain under consideration for interview" status?
I got this status too, I think it's neither good nor bad. They have an option where they reject you flat out, so at least we didn't get the boot.

I got this status too, I think it's neither good nor bad. They have an option where they reject you flat out, so at least we didn't get the boot.

How are you guys already in this category when it's only October?

Can anyone comment 0n the interview day, especially the MMI process at UAB?

I don't think so since they told us to look at the admissions page for the requirements. Sadly, I missed the MCAT score by 1 point. I know I had a bad MCAT but I had hope and to miss it by 1 point. :(
What other schools are you applying to? And hope this cycle is going well for you! Im in a similar boat

Oh oops! Hadn't even read the email yet lol. There are definitely some schools where you can petition saying that even though your MCAT doesn't meet those requirements, you have something else like an exceptionally high GPA, or 1000000 hours of clinical work, or TFA etc. and that they should still consider you. Idk if this school would do that, but hey just a thought!
do you know any schools on top of your head?

Just checked my status and it now says that my file is remaining under consideration for interview, I'm assuming this is like a small pool? I'm OOS (but neighboring). Hoping we hear good news soon!