2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, reapplicant here. So excited for another round of hurry up and wait!

MCAT July 18th, I think I'll be 100% complete late August. Good luck all

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UAB just notoriously slow about sending their secondaries out?

Uab is slow for getting all their stuff out. Secondaries, acceptances, waitlists, tiers on the waitlist etc.

For MSTP, I received an email on Thursday (7/16) saying that our applications were being reviewed and that we would hear back in two weeks. Any other MSTP applicants here? Hopefully we hear back by exactly 7/29, or better yet, even sooner. ;)
Best of luck to everyone applying to UAB!!

For MSTP, I received an email on Thursday (7/16) saying that our applications were being reviewed and that we would hear back in two weeks. Any other MSTP applicants here? Hopefully we hear back by exactly 7/29, or better yet, even sooner. ;)
Best of luck to everyone applying to UAB!!

I received that same email for MSTP.
It was odd for me because my committee letter hasn't been submitted yet so I was surprised that I'm being reviewed already.
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I received that same email for MSTP.
It was odd for me because my committee letter hasn't been submitted yet so I was surprised that I'm being reviewed already.
Best of luck!

Oh, wow! That is really interesting. I was a little surprised that they are getting back to everyone at the same time as well. But hopefully we will both hear some great news soon! Thank you and best wishes to you as well!

Having done this last year and also knowing a lot of UAB med school students - don't hold your breath on UAB. They will take every second allotted to them and delays are common

Any MSTP people hear back from UAB yet? I received an email on Thursday of two weeks ago saying that they would notify us "in 2 weeks" if we had been selected to interview. Two weeks would be tomorrow, and I'm getting so anxious!!!! Lol trying to stay calm here but wondering what boat other MSTP applicants are in! Thanks so much and good luck to all!!

Funny EDIT: I just had a heart attack because I got an email from UAB. But it was a complete false alarm! I posted on this thread because my friend received an email earlier basically saying "you should apply to the MSTP at UAB. And if you already have applied, thanks!" I just received the same email. :) Currently alternating between laughing and crying! Hahaha!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Any MSTP people hear back from UAB yet? I received an email on Thursday of two weeks ago saying that they would notify us "in 2 weeks" if we had been selected to interview. Two weeks would be tomorrow, and I'm getting so anxious!!!! Lol trying to stay calm here but wondering what boat other MSTP applicants are in! Thanks so much and good luck to all!!

Funny EDIT: I just had a heart attack because I got an email from UAB. But it was a complete false alarm! I posted on this thread because my friend received an email earlier basically saying "you should apply to the MSTP at UAB. And if you already have applied, thanks!" I just received the same email. :) Currently alternating between laughing and crying! Hahaha!

I'm in the same boat as you. Received the email two weeks ago and have heard nothing yet.

Don't interpret silence from UAB as anything. Seriously, they do this kind of stuff every year.

Just wondering if any MSTPs had heard anything. It's been 2 weeks now and I was really hoping for some contact!

Just wondering if any MSTPs had heard anything. It's been 2 weeks now and I was really hoping for some contact!
Nothing yet... but really hoping that tomorrow will bring some good news! :)

Received the "MSTP Supplemental Information Form" today. Did anyone else get this? Looks like there is some kind of screen with this form before they decide interviews (and give another secondary?). It's a little confusing, I think!
Also, if you did get this, do you know what to do with the "List all conferences you will be attending this year and any presentations you will give"? I thought it was strange that it is asking what we might do this year rather than what we have done in the past. I feel like my plans for this year really haven't been finalized so I don't exactly know of anything to put here?

Received the "MSTP Supplemental Information Form" today. Did anyone else get this? Looks like there is some kind of screen with this form before they decide interviews (and give another secondary?). It's a little confusing, I think!
Also, if you did get this, do you know what to do with the "List all conferences you will be attending this year and any presentations you will give"? I thought it was strange that it is asking what we might do this year rather than what we have done in the past. I feel like my plans for this year really haven't been finalized so I don't exactly know of anything to put here?

Yep, I just got this too. Looks remarkably like a secondary application to me!

Anyway, I have attended conferences this year, and might be attending one more so I plan to write about the ones I already attended this year, and then about the one I might attend and explain that whether I attend or not is based on finances etc.

Yep, I just got this too. Looks remarkably like a secondary application to me!

Anyway, I have attended conferences this year, and might be attending one more so I plan to write about the ones I already attended this year, and then about the one I might attend and explain that whether I attend or not is based on finances etc.

YES! Honestly, this looks as much like a secondary as I've ever seen ;) I'm curious as to what the real "secondary" will be.

Thanks for sharing your plan with the research question. I have also attended conferences this year and was hoping I could write about those as well. However, the question is worded "Please list any regional or national conferences you will be attending during this academic year. If you will be presenting your work, please list the title and authors of your presentation/poster" so I wasn't sure if I could get away with putting anything I have done in the past? Seems like it has to be from like September to May?

YES! Honestly, this looks as much like a secondary as I've ever seen ;) I'm curious as to what the real "secondary" will be.

Thanks for sharing your plan with the research question. I have also attended conferences this year and was hoping I could write about those as well. However, the question is worded "Please list any regional or national conferences you will be attending during this academic year. If you will be presenting your work, please list the title and authors of your presentation/poster" so I wasn't sure if I could get away with putting anything I have done in the past? Seems like it has to be from like September to May?

Yeah, I just looked at the question closely and I'm not sure.
I think I'm going to go for something like "While I am not certain of my plans for this academic year I plan to continue as I have done so far this year" and then tell them what I have done so far, and then I will end with "these are the conferences I hope to attend".
I will try and keep it brief though. It's just that I've presented at 3 conferences so far this year and I have no presentations upcoming so I want to show them I have been active (I do plan on submitting for future conferences but the deadlines haven't come yet).

I think if we keep our past activities to just this year it shouldn't hurt our app.

What do you (and others in this position) think?

Yeah, I just looked at the question closely and I'm not sure.
I think I'm going to go for something like "While I am not certain of my plans for this academic year I plan to continue as I have done so far this year" and then tell them what I have done so far, and then I will end with "these are the conferences I hope to attend".
I will try and keep it brief though. It's just that I've presented at 3 conferences so far this year and I have no presentations upcoming so I want to show them I have been active (I do plan on submitting for future conferences but the deadlines haven't come yet).

I think if we keep our past activities to just this year it shouldn't hurt our app.

What do you (and others in this position) think?

Funny!! We sound so similar :) I also presented at 3 conferences this year, and although there are a few conferences that I have my eyes on for this year, they don't typically even register people for months. So I just find the question very strange?

I would also love to hear what others are thinking. I was planning on maybe answering that my plans are not definite but that I may explore a few venues (and list them). But then put a note on the bottom of the presentations I have given recently? I may even end up calling the admissions office on this one to get some insight into what would be appropriate... think that would be a good idea?

Funny!! We sound so similar :) I also presented at 3 conferences this year, and although there are a few conferences that I have my eyes on for this year, they don't typically even register people for months. So I just find the question very strange?

I would also love to hear what others are thinking. I was planning on maybe answering that my plans are not definite but that I may explore a few venues (and list them). But then put a note on the bottom of the presentations I have given recently? I may even end up calling the admissions office on this one to get some insight into what would be appropriate... think that would be a good idea?

Wow, yeah, very similar! :)
I think your plan sounds reasonable, but I see no reason why it would be bad to call the admissions office about it if you wanted to.

Also, how long are your answers going to be? It seems like there's no limit but I have various ranges of lengths for these types of question so I'm not sure if I should use my paragraph length answers or my page length answers! (especially for questions like what have you been doing since graduating because I graduated a few years ago).

Wow, yeah, very similar! :)
I think your plan sounds reasonable, but I see no reason why it would be bad to call the admissions office about it if you wanted to.

Also, how long are your answers going to be? It seems like there's no limit but I have various ranges of lengths for these types of question so I'm not sure if I should use my paragraph length answers or my page length answers! (especially for questions like what have you been doing since graduating because I graduated a few years ago).

Hi again! So I have no idea how long my answer for that weird research question #6 will be. It looks like there is a very, very small 500 character limit listed on the top of the form though for questions 7-10 (so that will include the post-graduation question for you). It's only like 3 sentences, so very small!

Hi again! So I have no idea how long my answer for that weird research question #6 will be. It looks like there is a very, very small 500 character limit listed on the top of the form though for questions 7-10 (so that will include the post-graduation question for you). It's only like 3 sentences, so very small!

Wow, yes, thank you for pointing that out I hadn't seen that!

Wow, yes, thank you for pointing that out I hadn't seen that!
No problem! Best of luck with the application process!

Hopefully we will figure out what to do about the upcoming presentation/conference question!

according to msar what % of OOS ers are accepted? without strong ties to AL?

id really love to get an interview here. but im not sure how well i fit in.

in OOS w research heavy background, LizzyM of 71. do i stand a chance here? no connections to bama

Has anyone who did not apply as Early Decision gotten a secondary yet?

Last year they didn't send them out until ~September 15th.

Just got a secondary request, in-state reapplicant, normal decision

Re-applicant here. Got my secondary yesterday. Let the fun begin.

LOL I love the contrast between first time recipients and reapplicants

Got the secondary! OOS, does anyone know if they prescreen?

I don't think so since they told us to look at the admissions page for the requirements. Sadly, I missed the MCAT score by 1 point. I know I had a bad MCAT but I had hope and to miss it by 1 point. :(

I don't think so since they told us to look at the admissions page for the requirements. Sadly, I missed the MCAT score by 1 point. I know I had a bad MCAT but I had hope and to miss it by 1 point. :(
Oh oops! Hadn't even read the email yet lol. There are definitely some schools where you can petition saying that even though your MCAT doesn't meet those requirements, you have something else like an exceptionally high GPA, or 1000000 hours of clinical work, or TFA etc. and that they should still consider you. Idk if this school would do that, but hey just a thought!

Secondary received just received. OOS. Can anyone post prompts?

Secondary received just received. OOS. Can anyone post prompts?
Briefly indicate how you would add diversity to our medical school class. (1500 character maximum)
Where do you see yourself in your medical career fifteen to twenty years from now? (1500 character maximum)
Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application. (1500 character maximum)

+ the opportunity to expand on your activities/EC section. they are automatically imported from AMCAS

odd question here: i was accepted to UAB's BS/MD program back in high school but chose not to accept it. do I need to check off the box as a re-applicant to the school then?..

To the people who received the MSTP form that technically isn't a secondary: did you ever get an email stating "Your application has moved over to the Initial Review Phase of the application process; therefore, it is now under review and remains competitive at this time" ?

To the people who received the MSTP form that technically isn't a secondary: did you ever get an email stating "Your application has moved over to the Initial Review Phase of the application process; therefore, it is now under review and remains competitive at this time" ?

Hey! I submitted the "supplemental form" that looked a whole lot like a secondary (ha!) on 8/6, I believe. I received an email yesterday that said: "Just sending an e-mail to let you know that your supplemental application has been processed and is now under review by the MSTP Admissions Committee." Is this different than the one you received?

The email that contained the actual supplemental form for me was more similar to what you've quoted, since it told me that they completed their initial review and determined that I meet the "basic requirements necessary to become a successful MSTP student" at UAB. Let me know if this is similar to what you've heard!

Good luck!!!

I got the email you are talking about but never received the supplemental form...

Hey! I submitted the "supplemental form" that looked a whole lot like a secondary (ha!) on 8/6, I believe. I received an email yesterday that said: "Just sending an e-mail to let you know that your supplemental application has been processed and is now under review by the MSTP Admissions Committee." Is this different than the one you received?

The email that contained the actual supplemental form for me was more similar to what you've quoted, since it told me that they completed their initial review and determined that I meet the "basic requirements necessary to become a successful MSTP student" at UAB. Let me know if this is similar to what you've heard!

Good luck!!!

The actual message stated "Congratulations!! Your application has moved over to the Initial Review Phase of the application process; therefore, it is now under review and remains competitive at this time. Another update should be expected soon."

The actual message stated "Congratulations!! Your application has moved over to the Initial Review Phase of the application process; therefore, it is now under review and remains competitive at this time. Another update should be expected soon."

Hmmm, weird!! I just checked back through my inbox and can't seem to find one stating that. Now I'm a little worried! Lol. When exactly did you receive that one?? Sorry you haven't received the supplemental form yet -- but sounds like it's coming to you soon! :)

Hmmm, weird!! I just checked back through my inbox and can't seem to find one stating that. Now I'm a little worried! Lol. When exactly did you receive that one?? Sorry you haven't received the supplemental form yet -- but sounds like it's coming to you soon! :)

I wouldn't worry. I received it a couple days ago. And I added Alabama to my primary late so I'm not surprised I haven't received the supplemental form yet.

I wouldn't worry. I received it a couple days ago. And I added Alabama to my primary late so I'm not surprised I haven't received the supplemental form yet.

I'm a little confused in this conversation. ADW1994: did you receive the "you are still competitive email" after submitting AMCAS but prior to receiving the supplemental form?

starfun21: I have received 3 emails total from UAB MSTP:
1. 7/16 saying that my application was received and that I'm under review
2. 8/3 with the supplemental that looks like a secondary
3. 8/5 "Your supplemental application has been processed and is now under review by the MSTP Admissions Committee"

Oh well, this is all confusing to me. I prefer the portal system where I can see what is happening!

I left out the Congratulations because it didn't seem warranted lol!! All they said was your application is now going through the initial review