2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone from 11/5 heard anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone from the 10-22/10-29 interviews on your acceptances!!!

Just got this in the mail, did anyone else get something like this?

Did anyone who got this letter receive an acceptance so far? Or is it an indication that the admission committee has finished reviewing those apps and won't make a decision on them for a few more months? Very confused :(

Did anyone who got this letter receive an acceptance so far? Or is it an indication that the admission committee has finished reviewing those apps and won't make a decision on them for a few more months? Very confused :(

I talked to some friends that attend UAB now (MS1), 2 of them received these letters last year. They don't exactly remember the timeline, but they said they got in 1-3 months after receiving that letter. So I don't think it's a bad thing... but it could mean we may be waiting a while. Also my n=2 so not super reliable info lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I talked to some friends that attend UAB now (MS1), 2 of them received these letters last year. They don't exactly remember the timeline, but they said they got in 1-3 months after receiving that letter. So I don't think it's a bad thing... but it could mean we may be waiting a while. Also my n=2 so not super reliable info lol.

Thanks! I was trying to go through the <2015 forums and couldn't find much that was encouraging, so it's good to know that the letters aren't a bad thing!

I was accepted today and received a "thank you" letter from UAB a few days ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats!! How were you notified?

Thank you! I received an email from the med school's account just before 3:00 this afternoon. To make sure I wasn't dreaming, I checked the secondary status page, and my status was updated to "Accepted -- Campus Not Assigned."

Did any out of state applicants get accepted today? Trying not to be disappointed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, I don't think the letter can be considered a soft acceptance. I would LOVE to be proven wrong BUT I think it is what it is, a recruitment letter for those that have interviewed with UAB.

Last edited:
So the first round of regular app acceptances went out around this time last year... fingers crossed! I interviewed last week. Out of state though...

Did any out of state applicants get accepted today? Trying not to be disappointed.

Do you have a tie to the state? What state are you from?

Were you asked about why would you want to go to med school in Alabama?

What are your GPAs and MCAT?

From your screenname, can we assume that you're male? Did you also apply to USA?

Has anyone received II this month?
If so, when were you completed?

Unfortunately, I don't think the [letter] can be considered a soft acceptance. I would LOVE to be proven wrong BUT I think it is what it is, a recruitment letter for those that have interviewed with UAB.

I agree. I think it's a southern thing. A polite recruitment letter post interview.

Has any reapplicant had an II yet?

Unfortunately I think we're fighting a losing battle here since they seem to not review reaps until after Jan 1.
FWIW I'm OOS but neighboring w ties, (UA grad) LizzyM ~72

edit: OH and still in "secondary in process" but submitted late August

What's the backstory with your previous app cycle? Did you interview at UAB and USA last year and get WL'd/rejected?

Did you also apply to USA? It seems to give more preference to OOS with ties/attending an instate undergrad.

Your LizzyM ~72 is certainly good enough, but are there any flaws there? Uneven MCAT? any low sections? Are you using your cum GPA or science GPA? Do you have any questionable grades in science courses?

How did your Committee Interview go at UA? What did the advisors say about your chances for an instate acceptance?

Do you have any interviews with your own state's SOMs?

Does UAB have a second look day/weekend?

Last edited:
Do you have a tie to the state? What state are you from?

Were you asked about why would you want to go to med school in Alabama?

What are your GPAs and MCAT?

From your screenname, can we assume that you're male? Did you also apply to USA?

I'm from a neighboring state and I go to an Alabama public university. I was asked why UAB, and I thought I gave a reasonable answer. LizzyM ~69. I am male, I applied to USA but haven't heard anything from them. Not much hope there.

Congrats on the acceptances for the October interviews yesterday! I interviewed on 11/5 and have not heard anything yet. Getting a little antsy over here...

I can't really give you any kind of blinding insight since I'm not a part of admissions. I can't tell you much more than you already know: your GPA is below average for UAB, and I have no idea what happened to MCAT scoring since I took it. As an in-state applicant your biggest hurdle is going to be getting an interview. The fact that both your GPA and MCAT are, in your words, "eh" is going to hurt you. Most people I know with a meh GPA made up for it with a solid MCAT, or vise versa. However, I do think that UAB takes other parts of an application into consideration. Two big things at UAB are primary care and research--showing a dedication to one or both of those can help your application.

That's all I've really got. The waiting sucks, I know, but hang in there. I got interview invites as late as January. It's still relatively early.

image.jpeg

As you can see, that applicant's 499 MCAT is about an old MCAT 25. To be competitive as an unhooked applicant, I would imagine that the MCAT would need to be at least a 505.

I'm OOS, accepted, no ties to the state/school, wasn't asked why UAB.

Does UAB have a second look day/weekend?

Are you a regular MD applicant? What are your stats? Are you male or female? Do you have any hook?

During my app year, there wasn't a Second Look Day, but don't know if that's changed.

I'm from a neighboring state and I go to an Alabama public university. I was asked why UAB, and I thought I gave a reasonable answer. LizzyM ~69. I am male, I applied to USA but haven't heard anything from them. Not much hope there.

I think you have a better chance at USA. However, be patient with USA. I'm instate, was verified in Aug of my app year, and wasn't invited to interview until Dec for a January date. I was accepted about 48 hours after the interview. USA is very strange...or at least it was...nearly everything by snail mail. Maybe now they've joined the 21st century with their app process. I wish I could remember the name of the contact person there, but she was great about answering any questions. edit....her name is Peggy Terrell.

How does that LizzyM ~69 break down? Is the MCAT balanced?

Status changed today to Secondary Complete and Under Review. Hopefully this means I'll get an II very soon!! Oh and interviewed at South today. Super nice people and laid back environment.

Status changed today to Secondary Complete and Under Review. Hopefully this means I'll get an II very soon!! Oh and interviewed at South today. Super nice people and laid back environment.

Great, you interviewed at South. Did they tell you when they'd do their acceptances? When I applied to South, acceptances often came within 2 days. If that is still the case, you might be accepted on Friday.

Are these your stats:

31 years old 3.77 cGPA 3.66 sGPA 512 MCAT (roughly MCAT 32 and LizzyM 69?)

If so, I think you have a very good chance of being admitted within a couple of days.

Does USA still use the same rubric?

Last edited:
USA is very strange...or at least it was...nearly everything by snail mail. Maybe now they've joined the 21st century with their app process. I wish I could remember the name of the contact person there, but she was great about answering any questions. edit....her name is Peggy Terrell.

No. The only electronic communication is the secondary email; after that, you send the secondary via snail mail... and decisions are also received through snail mail.

Great, you interviewed at South. Did they tell you when they'd do their acceptances? When I applied to South, acceptances often came within 2 days. If that is still the case, you might be accepted on Friday.

They should mail decisions starting November 20.
The rubric is 5 points interview:2.5 points GPA:2.5 points MCAT, per the director.

No. The only electronic communication is the secondary email; after that, you send the secondary via snail mail... and decisions are also received through snail mail.

They should mail decisions starting November 20.
The rubric is 5 points interview:2.5 points GPA:2.5 points MCAT, per the director.

Yes, same rubric as back then. Yes, and decisions mailed thru snail mail.

BTW...if you get accepted to South as well, you may end up getting a merit offer from both schools as they try to protect their yield.

Last edited:
4.0 30 mcat and I interviewed early October... Still haven't heard back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are a couple of people using your account? Do you have a MCAT 31 or 30

I have a 30...may have mistyped...does it make a difference? I have an 8 on verbal which may be holding me back...

Are these your stats:

31 years old 3.77 cGPA 3.66 sGPA 512 MCAT (roughly MCAT 32 and LizzyM 69?)

If so, I think you have a very good chance of being admitted within a couple of days.

yeah thats me!!

What's the chance that you get II from USA and not from UAB?
Is it harder to get II from UAB?

I have a 30...may have mistyped...does it make a difference? I have an 8 on verbal which may be holding me back...

An 8 might be holding you back from a quick acceptance. However, if you're going to be low in a section, that's the one that med schools are less concerned about. I think in the end you'll be accepted since your GPA is so strong.

I don't think you need to worry yet. I was interviewed in Oct, but not accepted until February ~LizzyM 74. It was very frustrating because my app was strong, no irregularities, 4.0 BCPM, 3.9 cum, balanced MCAT. My exGF interviewed the same time, with similar stats, and was accepted shortly after being interviewed. I think they accept those who fit some concern or need first, and then wait to fill the rest of the spots. At the time, UAB was more male-heavy, so while it was annoying, I understand why they accepted my exGF so soon....strong stats and very attractive. (I'm only half-kidding. Being an attractive female (with good stats, of course), can be a big plus.)

The only other concern *might* be your undergrad. Usually med schools don't care where you went, but when I was applying, I noticed that the applicants from a couple of the lower-ranked schools instate seemed to have had a harder time.

But to answer your Q....No, it shouldn't make a difference, 30 or 31, particularly with your GPA. I was mostly asking if another person was using your acct because in one recent post it looked like you were saying that you haven't gotten any II's, but in another it said that you interviewed in early October.

I forgot....are you instate? If not, what tie do you have to Alabama?

Last edited:
Congrats on all those with an acceptance. For those without, don't sweat it. UAB tends to accept most of the class at the end of the application season. A good portion of the final class gets in off the wait list.

The admissions process is basically a roll of the dice. There's a lot of chance involved. And It doesn't really change once you apply to residency. Try not to speculate too much. It's kind of useless. If I've learned nothing over the last four years, it's that UAB does things on their own time frame. Good luck.

What's the chance that you get II from USA and not from UAB?
Is it harder to get II from UAB?

Yes, it's harder to get an II from UAB. UAB is a well-ranked school, and it's trying to climb the rankings ladder. It's not unusual for someone who's been accepted to UAB to also be accepted to USA....but not the other way around.

Which is more appropriate, mailing a thank you letter to the person that did my interview through the admission's office or sending an email through the admission's office?

Which is more appropriate, mailing a thank you letter to the person that did my interview through the admission's office or sending an email through the admission's office?

I think there were instructions to send thank you letters to the admissions office.

@SOMBound13 , wondering if you can speak to the specific points raised by @UABMS4 , whether improvements to the curriculum have been successful, the current role of the module leaders (uabms4 specifically cited msk and neuro being replaced), increased use of NBME exams and success on STEP among your peers. Also curious about the success of incenting ICM preceptors to be more effective.

Looks like some of the upperclassmen have answered questions very thoroughly! I'm an MS1 procrastinating for my immunology/pathology exam if anybody have more questions for the less experienced, but closer to you guys!

Is anyone else that submitted the secondary a while ago still at the "Secondary In Process" point? :whistle:

I was in process for what felt like forever. I pretty much stayed there until they were ready to issue more interview invites.

Does anyone know whether "remain under consideration" means you will get an interview invite somehow. Or does it mean you might but also might not.

Question: If UAB doesn't take into account your campus selection for admissions purposes(as they said during the interview day) then why do they ask for campus preference before they give acceptances?

I hate to be cynical, but it doesn't really make sense.

Question: If UAB doesn't take into account your campus selection for admissions purposes(as they said during the interview day) then why do they ask for campus preference before they give acceptances?

I hate to be cynical, but it doesn't really make sense.
It isn't related to the acceptance. They just want to have the list so they don't have to nag you later on for the campus preferences. Getting to the interview stage itself already puts people at a high chance of acceptance (75% IS, 70% OOS).