2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a little confused in this conversation. ADW1994: did you receive the "you are still competitive email" after submitting AMCAS but prior to receiving the supplemental form?

starfun21: I have received 3 emails total from UAB MSTP:
1. 7/16 saying that my application was received and that I'm under review
2. 8/3 with the supplemental that looks like a secondary
3. 8/5 "Your supplemental application has been processed and is now under review by the MSTP Admissions Committee"

Oh well, this is all confusing to me. I prefer the portal system where I can see what is happening!

Yeah, I got the email after my primary submission but before receiving any other form from Alabama... Seems strange right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused in this conversation. ADW1994: did you receive the "you are still competitive email" after submitting AMCAS but prior to receiving the supplemental form?

3. 8/5 "Your supplemental application has been processed and is now under review by the MSTP Admissions Committee"

Oh well, this is all confusing to me. I prefer the portal system where I can see what is happening!
you're fine! I applied late and so they may have altered the emails.

Inky, this is exactly what I have received. Not sure about the congratulations/"you are still competitive" email. Thanks so much for taking the time to clarify and explain what you've heard as well! I also definitely prefer the portal system or something a bit more clear, but hopefully we will just all hear some good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
you're fine! I applied late and so they may have altered the emails.

Thank you as well, maximus, for letting us know! It seems like maybe the "you're still competitive" email was for later submissions. It's confusing with so many different emails from UAB floating around! So I'll try not to worry about it at all and just hope for the best for all of us!

Reactions: 1 user
I noticed on UAB's website that it is "strongly recommended but not required" for the medical school that you have 2 additional personal recommendations. I had 5 letters already in my letter packet, so I'm not sure if sending another 2 would be wise! Did anyone applying MSTP send the personal references? Just curious as to what other applicants have done. Thank you!

EDIT: the link to where this information is listed on the UAB website. http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/future-students/admissions/letters-of-recommendation

I noticed on UAB's website that it is "strongly recommended but not required" for the medical school that you have 2 additional personal recommendations. I had 5 letters already in my letter packet, so I'm not sure if sending another 2 would be wise! Did anyone applying MSTP send the personal references? Just curious as to what other applicants have done. Thank you!

EDIT: the link to where this information is listed on the UAB website. http://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/future-students/admissions/letters-of-recommendation
No I don' think so

Any other MSTP people just get an email from UAB about some kind of symposium next month?? I'll click on the links in a minute but just from reading the email, I can't tell what this means at all! Probably doesn't mean anything and is kind of just a blanket invitation to everyone who applied, but figured I'd see what everyone else thinks!
@maximus_the_1
@ADW1994
@inky

EDIT: And the application for a student travel award appears to be due in 3 days, and you must have submitted an abstract already to the symposium? Just so confused overall and wondering what other MSTPs are doing!

Any other MSTP people just get an email from UAB about some kind of symposium next month?? I'll click on the links in a minute but just from reading the email, I can't tell what this means at all! Probably doesn't mean anything and is kind of just a blanket invitation to everyone who applied, but figured I'd see what everyone else thinks!
@maximus_the_1
@ADW1994
@inky

Sadly, I agree with your assessment. I got all excited for a minute and then realized it was probably just sent to all applicants.

Oh well. I think the first MSTP II went out around this time last year for UAB so I was very nervous when the email first arrived :-(

Sadly, I agree with your assessment. I got all excited for a minute and then realized it was probably just sent to all applicants.

Oh well. I think the first MSTP II went out around this time last year for UAB so I was very nervous when the email first arrived :-(

Thanks so much for your response! I did notice that the symposium is completely student-run, so part of me is just thinking that this was more of an FYI sent out to all applicants. But then I'm also like, "well, maybe they'll know if I go, plus it could be a really amazing opportunity to meet current MSTPs at all 3 participating universities" and so now I just have no idea what to do!! Are you thinking of looking in to it? I wish they let us know more than 3 days in advance of when we would need to submit an abstract, etc for a travel award!

Ha, I feel ya with the nerves!! I still cringe a little every single time I get an email. And especially when I see it's from a school! I think this will be less so with UAB though now that they've sent us soooooo many. ;)

Thanks so much for your response! I did notice that the symposium is completely student-run, so part of me is just thinking that this was more of an FYI sent out to all applicants. But then I'm also like, "well, maybe they'll know if I go, plus it could be a really amazing opportunity to meet current MSTPs at all 3 participating universities" and so now I just have no idea what to do!! Are you thinking of looking in to it? I wish they let us know more than 3 days in advance of when we would need to submit an abstract, etc for a travel award!

Ha, I feel ya with the nerves!! I still cringe a little every single time I get an email. And especially when I see it's from a school! I think this will be less so with UAB though now that they've sent us soooooo many. ;)

I'd love to go but I'm not an undergrad so I can't get a travel award and I'm already going to a conference in October so I think my boss will kill me if I go to another so close to when I will (hopefully!) be taking time to go to interviews! It does seem like a great opportunity. If I lived closer I might consider it.

I'd love to go but I'm not an undergrad so I can't get a travel award and I'm already going to a conference in October so I think my boss will kill me if I go to another so close to when I will (hopefully!) be taking time to go to interviews! It does seem like a great opportunity. If I lived closer I might consider it.

Sorry -- forgot you weren't an undergrad! I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the symposium will entail and if it's worth the money (even with the travel award, it will still cost somewhere around $200, I estimate). I feel like this is just another major decision to make at the moment without much time to make it! Just going to take a deep breath and try not to worry. Everything will work out somehow!

Sorry -- forgot you weren't an undergrad! I'm still trying to figure out exactly what the symposium will entail and if it's worth the money (even with the travel award, it will still cost somewhere around $200, I estimate). I feel like this is just another major decision to make at the moment without much time to make it! Just going to take a deep breath and try not to worry. Everything will work out somehow!

I will say that over the past year I've made an effort to submit abstracts to conferences and attend whenever I can and every time it has been extremely worthwhile.
If you have something to submit I think there's no harm in submitting. It will always look good on a C.V. or as an update for your application!
( I'm not the best at encouraging others to be responsible. I have so many conferences I want to attend and I can't afford it and my boss will kill me if I go to any more so I like to live vicariously through others :nod: )

I will say that over the past year I've made an effort to submit abstracts to conferences and attend whenever I can and every time it has been extremely worthwhile.
If you have something to submit I think there's no harm in submitting. It will always look good on a C.V. or as an update for your application!
( I'm not the best at encouraging others to be responsible. I have so many conferences I want to attend and I can't afford it and my boss will kill me if I go to any more so I like to live vicariously through others :nod: )

LOL! Thanks, @inky. I'll definitely have to think about it! I recently moved to a new lab because my old one closed down, but I could still present my old project. I might apply for the travel award and then if I am granted that, I will know that they think I have something valuable to contribute (plus it will be financially easier) so it would be a good idea for me to push my comfort zone and go out there on a whim! I'll decide... tomorrow lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
For OOS students applying, for the question asking any connections to the state (1500 characters), can I just say that I currently reside in Tuscaloosa as I complete my degree at The University of Alabama? I feel like that's all I need to say, but I'm worried that since they give us 1500 characters that I may need to expand upon that.

I am writing about my tenure in this state as well as the fact that I have paid Alabama income taxes for 2 years now.

Any ideas for the "Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application" prompt? I don't want to leave it blank. Only thing I can think of is "Why UAB".

Last edited:
LOL! Thanks, @inky. I'll definitely have to think about it! I recently moved to a new lab because my old one closed down, but I could still present my old project. I might apply for the travel award and then if I am granted that, I will know that they think I have something valuable to contribute (plus it will be financially easier) so it would be a good idea for me to push my comfort zone and go out there on a whim! I'll decide... tomorrow lol.

Last night at 11pm I decided to just submit something. Lol. We shall see how it shakes out.

Reactions: 1 users
Last night at 11pm I decided to just submit something. Lol. We shall see how it shakes out.

HA! That's awesome. I've been thinking that I will also submit for the award and just check the box that says "I will only attend if given the award" or something like that. Figured I'll try it this way since the award is due tomorrow but then I have another week or so before needing to make another decision ;) Maybe I'll see you there if we both end up going!

Can anyone who chose yes for "Do you consider yourself rural?" give me an example of how they described their experiences in essay form? I am just not sure what exactly they are looking for especially since my community is considered rural by population standards but not what I would consider disadvantaged or poor....

How are other OOS applicants answering the connection regarding ties to the state? I live in a bordering state and don't really have any significant ties to Alabama.

Received the undergraduate travel award funded by the NIH today from the UAB, Emory, and Vanderbilt conference! Took a little bit of the sting out of being placed on hold at a top choice school earlier :) I will be at the SEMSS conference in Nashville next month now. @ADW1994, will I see you there? :)

Received the undergraduate travel award funded by the NIH today from the UAB, Emory, and Vanderbilt conference! Took a little bit of the sting out of being placed on hold at a top choice school earlier :) I will be at the SEMSS conference in Nashville next month now. @ADW1994, will I see you there? :)

Congrats!

Now we just need to hear back from UAB for real!

Congrats!

Now we just need to hear back from UAB for real!

Thank you so much, @inky! I definitely hope we both hear some good news from UAB soon!! Best of luck with everything and thanks again for the support.

secondary submitted, probably my least favorite secondary. glad that's over!

Congrats!!! And yes, I did as well so you will see me :D

How's everyone feeling about their chances? I submitted my application on Wednesday. Anyone from the Birmingham area?

Submitted my secondary a few days ago. I'm a 'hammer, living in Homewood.

Last edited:
How should I interpret the email explaining the MSTP program? Does every applicant get one?

I had a heart attack loading the page but no, my AMCAS definitely says "Regular MD"

The email I got...

JdXjzDs.png

The email I got...

JdXjzDs.png
Yeah, that looks like they send it to many applicants. I would ignore it unless you want to change you app to MSTP!

Also, my MSTP applicant friends @starfun21 , @ADW1994 , and others: do you see how that email says "decisions being sent out daily". Has anyone heard anything? I had written in my spreadsheet that I'd hear by 8/31 but I have no idea where I got that info from!

Does anyone know how strict UAB is on submitting the secondary within 2 weeks of receiving the invite to complete the secondary? If I submit beyond 2 weeks, would they not even consider my application?

Does anyone know how strict UAB is on submitting the secondary within 2 weeks of receiving the invite to complete the secondary? If I submit beyond 2 weeks, would they not even consider my application?

I would do it within two weeks, or risk not getting an early interview date.

any MSTP interviews yet?

Nothing yet from me either. Hopefully soon though!
@inky - I saw your name as the last poster on this thread and a little part of me jumped with the hope that you had received an II! Lol I feel so invested in all of my fellow applicants' successes on SDN and just can't wait to see everyone get interviews :) I hope you hear good news from UAB soon!

Nothing yet from me either. Hopefully soon though!
@inky - I saw your name as the last poster on this thread and a little part of me jumped with the hope that you had received an II! Lol I feel so invested in all of my fellow applicants' successes on SDN and just can't wait to see everyone get interviews :) I hope you hear good news from UAB soon!

I have this (hopefully realistic) expectation that I'll get to meet you in Birmingham soon!
Anyone have idea when the MSTP people will hear something?

For the imported "most meaningful experiences," did anyone just copy the "experience descriptions" + "most meaningful experience remarks" from their AMCAS primary application to UAB's secondary application? In that case, some of descriptions would already reach the 1500 character limit on their secondary. Or should I write about the "meaningful experience" focusing on a different aspect on the secondary?

For the imported "most meaningful experiences," did anyone just copy the "experience descriptions" + "most meaningful experience remarks" from their AMCAS primary application to UAB's secondary application? In that case, some of descriptions would already reach the 1500 character limit on their secondary. Or should I write about the "meaningful experience" focusing on a different aspect on the secondary?

I was in the mindset of just copying both and then reducing them so they would fit... However, I just went ahead and rewrote each of the experiences that also had the extra "meaningful experience essay" to fit into the 1500 characters. I wrote them in a way that showed how the experiences would make me a good fit for UAB and UAB a good fit for me.

I edited some and left others. In most of them, I added some extra comments about what I learned from my experiences or gave a little extra detail on stories I had to share. Secondary submitted today in the early morning hours!

Is anyone else having trouble marking sections as complete prior to submission? I am tempted to just hit submit without the sections marked, but I am concerned that those sections won't save.

Is anyone else having trouble marking sections as complete prior to submission? I am tempted to just hit submit without the sections marked, but I am concerned that those sections won't save.

Every section should have a green check mark prior to submission. Contact the admissions office if you're having technical difficulties or try using a different PC or browser.

Has anyone's status moved from "Secondary in Process" to "Complete and Under Review"? I have been "In Process" for the last few days so I am getting a bit worried . . . Also does anyone know if UAB is receptive to ITA emails from OOSers?

I have been In Process for a while now. We just have to be patient! :)

I have been "In Process" for 2.5 weeks now, I called and they said that's normal and it may take an extended period of time.

Y'all this is UAB. They are notoriously slow with everything. They did not release final decisions last year until April 30th which was the day you had to commit to one medical school.

If you want an efficient admissions process, you have most definitely applied to the wrong school.