2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are you guys already in this category when it's only October?

No idea, I submitted the secondary the day it was sent (whenever that was) if that helps. This is one of the few schools I've heard anything from.

Members don't see this ad.

Just checked my status and it now says that my file is remaining under consideration for interview, I'm assuming this is like a small pool? I'm OOS (but neighboring). Hoping we hear good news soon!

I think its more like being put on hold.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else wishing UAB had a history of giving out decisions on 10/15? Based on past threads seems like they don't send anything out til ~10/25 :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II just now! OOS but have some ties. Complete mid August. I think my status was only at secondary under review for about a week and a half. In fact, I checked this morning and it was under review and got an invite an hour or so later.

Did anyone else's app status show that the letter requirement had not been met? My secondary was complete and received back in august and all of my letters have received dates next to them. It just says "no" in the row about the letter requirement being met. The current status still says "secondary in progress" :/ Any ideas? I was thinking of calling but all of their instructions say don't call or email to check if materials have been received.

Did anyone else's app status show that the letter requirement had not been met? My secondary was complete and received back in august and all of my letters have received dates next to them. It just says "no" in the row about the letter requirement being met. The current status still says "secondary in progress" :/ Any ideas? I was thinking of calling but all of their instructions say don't call or email to check if materials have been received.
My situation is somewhat similar. My letters have all been received and are marked as so in the secondary portal, but mine says "yes" in the row about letter requirements being met. I am still under "secondary in progress" though. So maybe they've received all your letters, but they don't satisfy their criteria. What letter option did you do? Three individual?

My situation is somewhat similar. My letters have all been received and are marked as so in the secondary portal, but mine says "yes" in the row about letter requirements being met. I am still under "secondary in progress" though. So maybe they've received all your letters, but they don't satisfy their criteria. What letter option did you do? Three individual?

I did the three individual letters and they met the criteria; two science faculty members and one personal letter. So I'm very confused :/

I did the three individual letters and they met the criteria; two science faculty members and one personal letter. So I'm very confused :/
Well that is weird. I'd say that's a good enough reason to at least email them. But that's just my opinion.

Worst case scenario if you email them: They tell you they haven't gotten around to your file to read your letters yet.
Worst case scenario if you don't: Because your letter requirement is marked as unmet, your file doesn't get reviewed, and your app is severely delayed at a school with rolling admissions.

EDIT: I would send an email just to be safe!

II! OOS LizzyM 69
Submitted around 8/17, went to "still under consideration" status before II

Members don't see this ad :)
II today! So excited, I couldn't believe it at first! OOS, LizzyM 66-67. I was under the "still under consideration" status for a couple of weeks before the II.

so I'm in the portal trying to schedule an interview date and no dates are showing up...anyone else running into this problem? I've sent an email to see what's going on.

Accepted! Interviewed 10/1.

I'm really bummed. I just found out that there were technical difficulties with my app after emailing the school and it is just now going to show that my letter requirement has been met. Does this mean that my application will only be processed as if it's been complete since today? I completed it as early as possible back in early August so I'm afraid that now I'm in a situation where I'm being processed late :/

guys I submitted my secondary app 2 months ago and my status is still "secondary in process." Should I be worried? Is anyone else the same? I'm OOS. I was wondering if I should call but I don't want to bother them.

Reactions: 1 users
guys I submitted my secondary app 2 months ago and my status is still "secondary in process." Should I be worried? Is anyone else the same? I'm OOS. I was wondering if I should call but I don't want to bother them.
Email them. I was in the same boat and it was fixed the next day :)

Email them. I was in the same boat and it was fixed the next day :)
I emailed them about 3 weeks ago and the person basically just copied and pasted from the website that says something like "you may be in this status for an extended amount of time." So I'm kinda iffy about emailing them again.

What did you say to them?
So, I was actually at a meeting with one of the heads of the admissions committee. I brought up my concern with the secondary. She told me to email.

It's UAB. They may not be having a particularly great day. You have to hit their admissions office at the right time.

So, I was actually at a meeting with one of the heads of the admissions committee. I brought up my concern with the secondary. She told me to email.

It's UAB. They may not be having a particularly great day. You have to hit their admissions office at the right time.

Was this a meeting you requested? And they don't seem to mind persistent emails?

I emailed them about 3 weeks ago and the person basically just copied and pasted from the website that says something like "you may be in this status for an extended amount of time." So I'm kinda iffy about emailing them again.

I got the exact same response. Emailed them about the issue on September 9th, didn't get a response until October 1st.

Edit: I am hesitant to email them again for this exact reason and the time it took to get a response.

I'm really bummed. I just found out that there were technical difficulties with my app after emailing the school and it is just now going to show that my letter requirement has been met. Does this mean that my application will only be processed as if it's been complete since today? I completed it as early as possible back in early August so I'm afraid that now I'm in a situation where I'm being processed late :/
Did the status page show that your letters were received before you figured out they weren't?

Any more acceptances from those who have interviewed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any more acceptances from those who have interviewed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i interviewed on 10/1 like some of the others who got acceptances and my status is still "campus choices received" so not quite sure what that means

Interviewing tomorrow but can't fall asleep, this should be fun :arghh:

Funny!! We sound so similar :) I also presented at 3 conferences this year, and although there are a few conferences that I have my eyes on for this year, they don't typically even register people for months. So I just find the question very strange?

I would also love to hear what others are thinking. I was planning on maybe answering that my plans are not definite but that I may explore a few venues (and list them). But then put a note on the bottom of the presentations I have given recently? I may even end up calling the admissions office on this one to get some insight into what would be appropriate... think that would be a good idea?
I know this is WAY late to be answering this question but I haven't seen the answer anywhere - the reason for UAB MSTP asking about conferences you are going to/presenting at is either members of the UAB MSTP (faculty or students) are at pretty much every conference and will find you and talk to you if you are there too.

I know this is WAY late to be answering this question but I haven't seen the answer anywhere - the reason for UAB MSTP asking about conferences you are going to/presenting at is either members of the UAB MSTP (faculty or students) are at pretty much every conference and will find you and talk to you if you are there too.

Hi, @hoya2008!! It's actually hilarious to see you replying to this now because I JUST got an interview invitation for the MSTP yesterday! ;) I'm soooooooo excited!

I ended up calling Dr. Lorenz a few months ago and she explained things exactly as you mentioned above. I wound up attending SEMSS and met Dr. Lorenz there. She is such a kind person and I'm really looking forward to meeting more people in the MSTP at UAB in the next month or two!

Thanks for your comment!

Can anybody who has interviewed talk about their interview experience?

The traditional interview was a little less personal than others. It's only 25 minutes so all we did was go over my application and I expanded upon questions they had about it. The MMI was actually a lot of fun except for 1 station, which the rest of the interviewees that day agreed was difficult. Other than that, the tour of the campus was amazing and the admission staff was very friendly.

The traditional interview was a little less personal than others. It's only 25 minutes so all we did was go over my application and I expanded upon questions they had about it. The MMI was actually a lot of fun except for 1 station, which the rest of the interviewees that day agreed was difficult. Other than that, the tour of the campus was amazing and the admission staff was very friendly.

Agreed with coldcase mostly. I interviewed last Thursday. I felt that my traditional interview was fairly objective/straightforward, although I didn't really feel like it allowed my adcom member to get to know me much better. All stations of the MMI were pretty enjoyable and thought-provoking. I can definitely see why they're being used by schools more and more.

My only complaints were that the campus tour was a little superficial and that the medical students giving tours went ahead at lunch before the applicants. I've had family admitted at UAB before, and the hospital tour is basically just walking through the public floor of the medical center and Children's of Alabama. I understand there are patient privacy concerns, but other schools I've interviewed with have really shown off their clinical facilities.

Last edited:
So the first round of regular app acceptances went out around this time last year... fingers crossed! I interviewed last week. Out of state though...

So the first round of regular app acceptances went out around this time last year... fingers crossed! I interviewed last week. Out of state though...
At the interview last week, they said it might take over a month to get a decision, but we'll see.

They have already started sending out regular app acceptances. All of us who interviewed on 10/1 and were accepted were regular app. I'm not sure how frequently they will go out from here, but some have for sure.

They have already started sending out regular app acceptances. All of us who interviewed on 10/1 and were accepted were regular app. I'm not sure how frequently they will go out from here, but some have for sure.

O God. Officially terrified now. Seats are disappearing and I haven't even gotten the II yet. I need more beer.

UAB MS-4 here, wasting time in between interviews. Any questions? Just don't ask stuff about the timing of interview invites and acceptances because that information has long since fallen out of my head.