2020-2021 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know they’re a little behind. They said they were a month behind in December. They’ll continue to interview until March.

I’m similar to you but also opposite. Also IS, ORM, complete in late August but LM is like 68. UAB ignored me for a while and rejected me recently, while I got an II to South in November.
What is LM? Thanks 😁

Members don't see this ad.

Any out of State interviews/acceptances yet? I have a brother at USA and was hoping to at least interview here

Members don't see this ad :)
Any out of State interviews/acceptances yet? I have a brother at USA and was hoping to at least interview here
I interviewed this past week, from a neighbor state and have really strong ties to USA COM though, fingers crossed for good news on Friday

Good luck to you How! How often does the committee meet?
Thank you! And they didn't say, but the trend looks like ~ every 2 weeks on a Wednesday, releasing decisions on that Friday. (Not sure if you've interviewed, so you may know this, but for anyone else.) The way they review is on a score out of 10, and each time the committee meets, they make a threshold score and they accept anyone above that score which will lower as time goes along and they need to fill more spots. So if you're not above that score the first time, you get an "on hold" email, which means each time the committee meets, if they lower the threshold to a number you're above, you'll be accepted. E.g. I get scored a 7.5, but the threshold is 7.8, I'll get an "on hold" email this Friday, but in a month, they lower the threshold to a 7.3, I'll get accepted following that meeting.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! And they didn't say, but the trend looks like ~ every 2 weeks on a Wednesday, releasing decisions on that Friday. (Not sure if you've interviewed, so you may know this, but for anyone else.) The way they review is on a score out of 10, and each time the committee meets, they make a threshold score and they accept anyone above that score which will lower as time goes along and they need to fill more spots. So if you're not above that score the first time, you get an "on hold" email, which means each time the committee meets, if they lower the threshold to a number you're above, you'll be accepted. E.g. I get scored a 7.5, but the threshold is 7.8, I'll get an "on hold" email this Friday, but in a month, they lower the threshold to a 7.3, I'll get accepted following that meeting.
Ahh gotcha thanks! My interview is coming up this Week. Do you know if they consider the rest of your app in your interview score or is it solely an interview score, assuming they've already made whatever considerations of your app to even invite you?

Also so that means its about a 2 week turn around? I interview on Wednesday so I doubt I'll be considered the same day. With it being 2 interviews I wonder if you have to have a certain score for both or if they are additive scores.

Last edited:
Ahh gotcha thanks! My interview is coming up this Week. Do you know if they consider the rest of your app in your interview score or is it solely an interview score, assuming they've already made whatever considerations of your app to even invite you?

Also so that means its about a 2 week turn around? I interview on Wednesday so I doubt I'll be considered the same day. With it being 2 interviews I wonder if you have to have a certain score for both or if they are additive scores.
I think it will be considered the same day based on what Mr. Scott said, and its 5 points for metrics (2.5 GPA, 2.5 MCAT), and 5 points for committee score which includes both the interview and the rest of your app since they average the scores from all members of the committee, not just the two interviewers, but the interview plays a big role as far as the discussion they have that day and subsequent score, I think it focuses more on interview, but all factors considered since it is open file and the interview is very focused on your application. So the application component definitely isn't tossed.

On last year's thread, there was discussion of USA sending out interview invites to lower stats applicants in mid-February. Is that actually a thing the school normally does?

Any fellow imterviwees from yesterday? How did everyone feel about their interviews? To those that have not interviewed if you have questions I'd be glad to discuss 🙂

Any fellow imterviwees from yesterday? How did everyone feel about their interviews? To those that have not interviewed if you have questions I'd be glad to discuss 🙂
Congratulations on interviewing! Can you describe the timeline of your interview day? My interview is on the 24th! Super pumped!

Congratulations on interviewing! Can you describe the timeline of your interview day? My interview is on the 24th! Super pumped!
Thank you! So they will send you a full rundown as well but basically after everyone logs on (around 9 am) adcom members will introduce themselves have a little small talk while they wait for everyone. There was definitely at least a 10 minute period before ours got started. There will be 15-20 other interviewees so you can make small talk while you wait.

Then adcoms reps talk a little bit about the business side of things such as Fafsa, the potential of coming to visit at some point, and they also give a breakdown of exactly how applicants are chosen for admission from that point forward. This was about 30-35 minutes. They also just talked about some of the unique things south has to offer such as small class sizes, surrounding community, etc.

Then you have 2 interviews. You'll be invited to breakout rooms. Both about 40 minutes with a 20 minute break in between. My first one (around 10 am) was pretty much all conversation. She really only asked me one "typical" question about a research project I had done then it was literally all convo.

Second interview (around 11 am) began with some more of the tough questions to assess basically my confidence, my interest in the school and how seriously I've thought about the decision for medicine. After those questions were asked and (I think) I answered them successfully it became totally conversational.

Q&A session with current students (we were a little behind but between noon and 12:30). You'll be broken into groups of maybe 5-7 interviewees and 1 or 2 students for like 30 minutes or so. We actually ran over. Pretty chill just ask whatever you want.

There was a Q &A in the schedulde with admissions but we didn't really do it.

Then finally everyone returned to the main meeting room, some closing comments were made and a quick survey and we were done!

If you have any additional specific questions feel free to message me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mmm well I guess they’ve sent theirs out for the day then. Anyone know when/if there is another round?

Mmm well I guess they’ve sent theirs out for the day then. Anyone know when/if there is another round?
Usually they email throughout the day till 4pm, so I wouldn’t say it’s done unless you already got a hold email.

Reactions: 1 users
Usually they email throughout the day till 4pm, so I wouldn’t say it’s done unless you already got a hold email.
My apologies I just assumed they’d basically be mass “insert name here” type emails. That’s much more hopeful!

My apologies I just assumed they’d basically be mass “insert name here” type emails. That’s much more hopeful!
Every new interviewee who hasn't already received A or hold will hear SOMETHING back. Either acceptance or hold... then if you are on hold you won't hear anything until either acceptance or rejection but from what I understand just making it to the interview phase gives you a huge chance of being accepted eventually.

received an Il this morning! IS, complete late July. interview scheduled for the first week of March!

Any idea when we will know about interview offers for EAP?

Does anyone know if any people who were previously on hold were accepted last week or if it was only those who had interviewed since the December update?

Does anyone know if any people who were previously on hold were accepted last week or if it was only those who had interviewed since the December update?
Well I don't know but I can say that anyone who was previously put on hold who's overall score (from stats and interview day) was above whatever their secret threshold is, was accepted. Otherwise they remained on hold and will remain until the point that the threshold has dropped at or below their score. So theoretically, if they have done a score drop, it was possible for December people to have been accepted but unfortunately I don't know the specifics.

Does anyone know if they will be sending out acceptances tomorrow? Given that it will be two weeks since the last occasion.

Does anyone know if they will be sending out acceptances tomorrow? Given that it will be two weeks since the last occasion.
I hope so, that email about the Choose Your Medical School tool had me really antsy last week...

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody have any idea when their next batch of acceptances is?? I've heard they are typically active late in the cycle, but I have no idea what to expect from them...

Is south still sending out interview invites or are they pretty much winding down at this point?

Does anybody know how many people USA ends up accepting? Like how many people over their class size do they usually accept??

Is south still sending out interview invites or are they pretty much winding down at this point?
I know they just had some interviews yesterday....last I looked though the fb group had about 97 people in it. However this includes some faculty and current students so I'm not exactly sure how full their first year class is now...

Does anybody know how many people USA ends up accepting? Like how many people over their class size do they usually accept??
I saw somewhere that they accept ~125 each cycle for the class of 74 students

Attachments

• msar_waitlist_procedures_11_132_2020.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 90
On interview day I was told they normally end up accepting about 130 throughout the entire cycle. I am assuming about 100 of that is people who get accepted after the interview and then the other 30 are those that get pulled from the waitlist later on.

I was told by someone who is an M1 here that this upcoming Wednesday is the last day of interviews, so hopefully, there will be another batch of acceptances soon!

If the interviews are today, then it should be this Friday. Their response time is pretty quick.
I think pretty quick is debatable, but I've got nothing else to do but wait so whenever they want to send an A my way is fine by me. 1 more day, week, month, or season.