2020-2021 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who was put on hold first been accepted yet? Or do those of us on hold still have to wait a while?
I've been on hold since December...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in November and got on waitlist in December. Haven’t heard a word since

Update because I called their admissions office: (1) when they notify of waitlist they do not tell you your placement on the list and (2) they said to expect another notification of acceptances at the beginning of April!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No scholarships for this dude. Withdrawing my A! Good luck to everyone. South is an incredibly under rated school and they 100% take better care of their students than almost all other schools. They are great.

My advisor said we can expect a waitlist by mid-April! Does anyone have the guts to call and ask their admissions office when to expect another round of acceptances??
I’m simultaneously scared and excited for mid April now

The MSAR was updated yesterday to include the 2019-20 cycle. Two things of note. South’s median MCAT score went up 2 points (509 to 511) from the previous cycle. They also increased the number of applicants interviewed from 198 to 238. Considering they’re the accepting around the same amount of students, that would mean the post interview acceptance rate went down quite a bit.

The MSAR was updated yesterday to include the 2019-20 cycle. Two things of note. South’s median MCAT score went up 2 points (509 to 511) from the previous cycle. They also increased the number of applicants interviewed from 198 to 238. Considering they’re the accepting around the same amount of students, that would mean the post interview acceptance rate went down quite a bit.

I wonder if they interviewed the same this year. They had a month or so without interviews due to the storm, iirc.

The median for matriculated is 508. I believe it was 508 or 507 for the 2018-2019, so the stats for the students who matriculate haven't changed much

Last edited:
The median for matriculated is 508. I believe it was 508 or 507 for the 2018-2019, so the stats for the students who matriculate haven't changed much
That is true (507) but I think they said they use the average for their accepted class for comparison to us. Unless I heard wrong.

Regarding what you stated above for the interviews, it is possible they didn’t interview as many people this year. Back in Dec, they were behind a month yet they still finished interviewing mid March like they normally do. So either they interviewed more per week or they reduced the number interviews.

Reactions: 1 users
Just got that waitlist email... I guess it’s better than a rejection🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know when USA typically has waitlist movement? Looks like previously 30/40 made it from the waitlist, but I remember someone on my interview day saying they were trying to have fewer people on the waitlist this year.

Anyone know when USA typically has waitlist movement? Looks like previously 30/40 made it from the waitlist, but I remember someone on my interview day saying they were trying to have fewer people on the waitlist this year.
From previous years’ threads it looks like movement only starts on April 30. I’m hoping for some decent waitlist movement this year for those of us on there....

Reactions: 1 users

Some schools might have received more applications, but the total number of applicants was lower compared to 2019-2020. Matriculants (seats) were up though.
I believe this is class of data given that there’s no way the entering class of 2019-2020 has graduation data already.

regardless, you might be right. AMCAS came out initially that apps are up a good bit this year, but that’s counting who starts an AMCAS app and not who actually goes through with one.

When I had my feedback call with Mark Scott, he told me that this year they made the alternate list smaller because they think they won't be using it as much... So I have no idea what that means for the people on the waitlist

Reactions: 2 users
I’m a current M1 at USA - Not sure if this is helpful but I got waitlisted last year and was one of the first accepted off the waitlist. I got an acceptance call April 30th. Don’t think any waitlist acceptances were sent out prior to that since schools have to wait until students with multiple offers made their final decision, which the deadline was April 30 for last year. I assume it’s the same this year. Generally speaking I’ve heard they try to make the wait list small so more people from the waitlist get accepted than not. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
When I had my feedback call with Mark Scott, he told me that this year they made the alternate list smaller because they think they won't be using it as much... So I have no idea what that means for the people on the waitlist
Good stats. If the rest of your app has the right balance of research and volunteering, you should get in. I assume you interviewed? I was accepted at both USA and UAB

Good stats. If the rest of your app has the right balance of research and volunteering, you should get in. I assume you interviewed? I was accepted at both USA and UAB
Thanks, I interviewed at South and UAB. But I was really lacking in clinical experience so that put a little damper on things... but that is easy to work on for the next cycle if I don't get in so I'm staying hopeful!

Thanks, I interviewed at South and UAB. But I was really lacking in clinical experience so that put a little damper on things... but that is easy to work on for the next cycle if I don't get in so I'm staying hopeful!
That is the winner's attitude. Keep it up. A lot of people including my family doctor did not get in the first time but did the second. He's now one of the best GP's in the state.

Good luck today everyone still holding on. Hopefully some movement happens

Reactions: 7 users
Anyone want to call and ask if anything is likely to happen today so we can quit anxiously waiting. Maybe use a burner phone 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users