2022-2023 South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @turtler81 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 South Alabama Secondary Essay Prompts

C. Areas of Interest: Although interests may change, what areas of medicine are you primarily interested in at the current time? (200 characters)

G. Out-of-State Applicants: Although our primary obligation is to residents of the State of Alabama, we do consider competitive applicants from neighboring states and applicants with strong ties to the State of Alabama. Please write a brief essay explaining your ties to the State of Alabama. (2000 char) (optional)

H. Optional Essay: The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefits from the inclusion of students with broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society. (3500 char) (optional)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received 7/12. App verified 7/12. I don't know whether I count as IS or OS since I am in their expanded IS service region in a neighboring state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received 7/12. App verified 7/12. I don't know whether I count as IS or OS since I am in their expanded IS service region in a neighboring state.
if you dont mind can you share their secondary?

I was the wait list for last cycle. Reapplying early decision this time. Submitted my primary yesterday and got asked to do my secondary this morning.

Questions:
C. Areas of Interest: Although interests may change, what areas of medicine are you primarily interested in at the current time? (200 char)
G. Out-of-State Applicants: Although our primary obligation is to residents of the State of Alabama, we do consider competitive applicants from neighboring states and applicants with strong ties to the State of Alabama. Please write a brief essay explaining your ties to the State of Alabama. (2000 char) (optional)
H. Optional Essay: The learning community at the University of South Alabama College of Medicine benefits from the inclusion of students with broad life experiences, as well as students from diverse backgrounds. The Admissions Committee encourages you to share life experiences that you may have had and/or important factors in your background that illustrate your readiness for practicing medicine in a multicultural society. (3500 char) (optional)
@wysdoc

If I am IS, should I still answer this question and follow the directive "please write a brief essay explaining [my] ties to the State of Alabama"? Or is the header "Out-of-State Applicants" meant to suggest that only OOS folks should answer?

If I am IS, should I still answer this question and follow the directive "please write a brief essay explaining [my] ties to the State of Alabama"? Or is the header "Out-of-State Applicants" meant to suggest that only OOS folks should answer?
I believe this is for OOS applicants to answer.

Does South Alabama screen before sending a secondary?

Does South Alabama screen before sending a secondary?
The website says "all U. S. citizens who apply and international applicants with permanent resident status will be sent a secondary application." So no.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received a regular decision interview invite last week, and I was complete August 1st. I'm also in-state.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone out-of-state with strong ties heard anything?

if anyone else gets an acceptance, feel free to reach out! it would be great to make some friends before starting.

RD II received today.
Secondary Submitted 7/29
In-State

Has anyone not gotten a secondary application from this school? Submitted end of July.

Anyone know when to expect post-interview decisions? Interviewed mid-October
I interview Oct. 19 and they told us that adcom will be meeting this Wednesday and we should be getting a decision anywhere from end of this week to before the start Thanksgiving break

I got an Acceptance 5 minutes ago!!
In-State, 507 MCAT
Secondary Submitted Late July, Interviewed 10/19
Good luck to all of you!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I got an acceptance too!
In-state 509 MCAT.
Secondary Submitted Late July, Interviewed 10/22

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just got an A over email, beyond excited!
IS, LM 75, submitted secondary late July, interviewed late September

“Hold“:/
IS. LM 68.7
Genuinely thought the two interviews went very well. Maybe not lol
Anyone got a realistic vibe on the odds going forward with a “hold”?
Best wishes to everyone

IS LizzyM 74, submitted 9/1. Haven't heard anything since. Interviewed at UAB almost a month ago. Anyone else in the same boat? Wondering if I did something wrong or somehow missed an e-mail from them, is there anyway to check communication status from the weird portal they use?

“Hold“:/
IS. LM 68.7
Genuinely thought the two interviews went very well. Maybe not lol
Anyone got a realistic vibe on the odds going forward with a “hold”?
Best wishes to everyone
So does "hold" mean like wait until April or we still might hear before January?

IS LizzyM 74, submitted 9/1. Haven't heard anything since. Interviewed at UAB almost a month ago. Anyone else in the same boat? Wondering if I did something wrong or somehow missed an e-mail from them, is there anyway to check communication status from the weird portal they use?
IS LizzyM 78 in the same exact boat submission date and everything

I got an 'on hold" email as well. Really bummed.
Just read through last year’s 2021-2022 thread. Looks like most “holds” ended up being notified of either waitlist or rejection between mid-February and late March. So not great odds unfortunately 🤞

Just read through last year’s 2021-2022 thread. Looks like most “holds” ended up being notified of either waitlist or rejection between mid-February and late March. So not great odds unfortunately 🤞
Ugh. And I thought my interviews went well.

IS LizzyM 78 in the same exact boat submission date and everything
I know multiple people from last cycle who were IS and high stats, but didn't get II's until late Dec/Jan (one of them may have been even later). I know one of them submitted in September, idk about the other ones. They all got accepted within a week of interviewing though.

I know multiple people from last cycle who were IS and high stats, but didn't get II's until late Dec/Jan (one of them may have been even later). I know one of them submitted in September, idk about the other ones. They all got accepted within a week of interviewing though.
I received an II on Friday and submitted June 28th. My LM score is 71.

Yep! Me too, but the opposite, I know multiple low stat applicants that got an interview in January after submitting a letter of continued interest, they got the interview the day after they sent the letter and accepted a week later.

Yep! Me too, but the opposite, I know multiple low stat applicants that got an interview in January after submitting a letter of continued interest, they got the interview the day after they sent the letter and accepted a week later.
How low of stats are we talking here? I'm curious bc I haven't received an II invite yet and would like to send a letter of continued interest if that would help me at all!

How low of stats are we talking here? I'm curious bc I haven't received an II invite yet and would like to send a letter of continued interest if that would help me at all!
IDK; I think I am in the same boat as you.

How do we submit a letter of continued interest? Do we just email the admissions department?

I was put on hold too a few weeks ago (LM 75, OoS, interviewed 10/5). I'm pretty bummed. Is it possible that OoS applicants have less priority than IS applicants post-interview?

Has anyone had luck getting an interview after sending a letter of interest? I’m in state with average stats, haven’t heard from them since submitting secondary

^Want to hear if anyone has reached out this year so far? Hasn't seemed to be a whole lot of interviews out there.