2021-2022 South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I completed secondary in July and haven't heard a thing

It’s so silent from both Alabama schools for me. 😢

Members don't see this ad.

Is it time to prepare for a reapp?? I'm sed
Yeah I’m considering preparing for it. I was put on hold in November and haven’t heard anything back yet. Haven’t even gotten an interview from UAB yet which is weird. Probably be better safe than sorry

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah I already reached out to my pre health advisor and started the process of getting ready to applying again. Luck favors the prepared so I didn’t want to wait lol

I'm not sure if/when you interviewed, but I interviewed in November and was placed on hold soon after. I recently spoke with a student at USACOM who told me that November interviews were early (positive sign), USA is still doing interviews, and that in march/april is when a lot of students start finalizing their schools so a lot of spots open up (also positive sign). I say this as encouragement in that there is definitely still hope if you have been placed on hold. So I would start preparing for reapp towards late february, my advisor for my graduate program suggested the same time frame for preparation for reapp.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if/when you interviewed, but I interviewed in November and was placed on hold soon after. I recently spoke with a student at USACOM who told me that November interviews were early (positive sign), USA is still doing interviews, and that in march/april is when a lot of students start finalizing their schools so a lot of spots open up (also positive sign). I say this as encouragement in that there is definitely still hope if you have been placed on hold. So I would start preparing for reapp towards late february, my advisor for my graduate program suggested the same time frame for preparation for reapp.
Hi, did you send in an update letter or anything at this current time or should you wait to play your cards towards the end?

Hi, did you send in an update letter or anything at this current time or should you wait to play your cards towards the end?
No I haven’t sent an update letter yet. I’m waiting to see how it plays out.

Does south Alabama accept update letters? How would I send that in to them.

I didn't send an update letter, but I did update my application with new information by contacting Deborah Fetherland.

Idk if any of y'all go to UA right now, but I just got some rather unfortunate news from one of the premed advisors. Granted, I take anything they say with a colossal grain of salt because we all know how they are, but I digress. She said that she hasn't talked to anyone who was placed on hold and then accepted prior to being put on the waitlist. She pretty much told me ill end up on the waitlist which sucks massive balls. Anyway just wanted to share the news.

Idk if any of y'all go to UA right now, but I just got some rather unfortunate news from one of the premed advisors. Granted, I take anything they say with a colossal grain of salt because we all know how they are, but I digress. She said that she hasn't talked to anyone who was placed on hold and then accepted prior to being put on the waitlist. She pretty much told me ill end up on the waitlist which sucks massive balls. Anyway just wanted to share the news.
Her not hearing about anyone in that situation wouldn't that depend on the sample size of UA applicants, and if you were to be moved to the waitlist, wouldn't that be a good sign?

Members don't see this ad :)
Her not hearing about anyone in that situation wouldn't that depend on the sample size of UA applicants, and if you were to be moved to the waitlist, wouldn't that be a good sign?
Very true that the sample size does greatly impact the data. Also I wouldn’t say making the waitlist is a “good” sign. Historically they accept 30 of the 40-50 people who make the waitlist, which is decent odds. However, I would’ve hoped I made the point cutoff by this time I mean I interviewed in god damn early October I guess I royally ****ed my interview all the way up

Very true that the sample size does greatly impact the data. Also I wouldn’t say making the waitlist is a “good” sign. Historically they accept 30 of the 40-50 people who make the waitlist, which is decent odds. However, I would’ve hoped I made the point cutoff by this time I mean I interviewed in god damn early October I guess I royally ****ed my interview all the way up
I was looking up some information on their SOM website, and found in April 2022 "students that have not been accepted will be placed on alternate/wailist or rejected list." So I guess we just have to wait from now till then for any word? I interviewed early Dec and still on hold. And I guess odds if you make on waitlist is 60-75% Acceptance, idk honestly for me I am starting to throw away this cycle and prepare for next year ig.

Hi! Does anyone know how long the interview day is? Wondering if I could still work my afternoon shift after it haha

Over by 1:00 CST.
Screenshot_20220119-165738.png

• Love
Can I ask what kind of stuff you included before? I got a new job tutoring the MCAT for Kaplan and I'd like to put that in my app but I am not sure if it is worth emailing in an update letter for it

The first email was letting them know I had provided something that was required before being considered for an interview. I just wanted to make sure they were aware as soon as possible. The second was a grades update from my last semester in school.

It really comes down to what you think might sway the admissions committee. The admission department is so friendly I can't imagine any update would hurt your chances.

WDE

The first email was letting them know I had provided something that was required before being considered for an interview. I just wanted to make sure they were aware as soon as possible. The second was a grades update from my last semester in school.

It really comes down to what you think might sway the admissions committee. The admission department is so friendly I can't imagine any update would hurt your chances.

WDE
Dude thanks for the advice!
And war eagle!!

Does anyone know how many more interview dates are left? What's the waitlist/on hold movement like currently, etc?

Does anyone know how many more interview dates are left? What's the waitlist/on hold movement like currently, etc?

Last year, they interviewed into March. I haven't heard of any movement off of the hold list.

I got called with an II today! IS, had secondary submitted in like July

When Are we supposed to receive the decision from interview? I thought it was today but still have not heard anything

When Are we supposed to receive the decision from interview? I thought it was today but still have not heard anything
Still nothing? I also haven't heard anything, and I was under the impression that we would hear either yesterday or today.

Still nothing? I also haven't heard anything, and I was under the impression that we would hear either yesterday or today.
Same but still nothing :( maybe since both of us haven't heard anything yet that means they are just running late

Waitlist puts you at a higher chance than the post-II hold ^^

I got the acceptance this morning, first in-state A so very relieved

Reactions: 2 users
Because the waitlist number is around 40 ppl, and usually 30 ppl get off the waitlist to turn into an A, meanwhile a post-II hold means that you are still being evaluated with the upcoming people, and you're spot in the wailist is not guaranteed still.

I interviewed back in December, and I thought they said they would send the waitlist to us in February. Can anyone confirm?

I interviewed back in December, and I thought they said they would send the waitlist to us in February. Can anyone confirm?

Not sure about this year, but last year they interviewed through March and released the waitlist at the beginning of April.

Not sure about this year, but last year they interviewed through March and released the waitlist at the beginning of April.
From what I can tell, tomorrow Feb 23rd should be the last round of interviews. Hope this helps!

Anyone that interviewed yesterday know when they the are sending more offers? Or has anyone in general spoke to the admission committee recently?

Anyone that interviewed yesterday know when they the are sending more offers? Or has anyone in general spoke to the admission committee recently?
Interviewed last week. Was told ADCOM met yesterday (Wednesday).

Ok so I interviewed on Sept 13 and was on hold a couple weeks later. I haven't received a waitlist email yet. Is this good new? Or did they completely forget I exist lmao

Ok so I interviewed on Sept 13 and was on hold a couple weeks later. I haven't received a waitlist email yet. Is this good new? Or did they completely forget I exist lmao

The waitlist probably hasn't been made yet. Last year it was released around April 1st iirc.

Reactions: 1 users
Anxious to see the results of the waitlist spots...

Me too! All MD schools are required to send enough acceptances to fill their class by March 15th, right?

Correct.

"4. By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

At South specifically, does the background check email always come before an acceptance email? Input from those of you that have already been accepted would be greatly appreciated.

Here's some info about the waitlist.

Attachments

• MSAR Waitlist Procedures_1_8.20.pdf
    132.6 KB · Views: 136
Reactions: 1 users
Any accepted students received financial aid offers yet?

WL just now. I will be removing myself from the WL as I have other options! I hope this helps with movement for all of you guys. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users