2020-2021 University of South Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Praying for everybody including myself who is currently on the waitlist to hear some good news soon, I know it gets pretty stressful just sitting here waiting

Reactions: 5 users
Well, fingers crossed that today we get some more waitlist movement

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a bad sign if we haven't heard anything yet? I thought there would be more waitlist movement yesterday and today given that the deadline for holding one acceptance was April 30th. Does anyone know what the chances are for hearing back after the beginning of May?

Reactions: 1 user
Is it a bad sign if we haven't heard anything yet? I thought there would be more waitlist movement yesterday and today given that the deadline for holding one acceptance was April 30th. Does anyone know what the chances are for hearing back after the beginning of May?
When I was stalking previous years threads, it seemed like the latest people posted about waitlist movement was May 15th. It seems like South moves kind of slowly tho and I guess we can’t be sure how many calls they sent out yesterday.

Do you guys think they let you know if you’re not accepted from the waitlist? Or is it more of just a waiting game until the school year starts? I truthfully just want to my chances of getting moved from the waitlist so I can plan for the upcoming fall lol

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think they let you know if you’re not accepted from the waitlist? Or is it more of just a waiting game until the school year starts? I truthfully just want to my chances of getting moved from the waitlist so I can plan for the upcoming fall lol
I feel the same way. From what previous years threads look like, once the last week of May has come the odds significantly decrease to nill. But I don't think they send rejections to the waitlist since if someone does back out last minute they still have a pool.

I feel the same way. From what previous years threads look like, once the last week of May has come the odds significantly decrease to nill. But I don't think they send rejections to the waitlist since if someone does back out last minute they still have a pool.
At some point I have to make real decisions and I can’t do that with one last little tiny coal burning. It’s ridiculous they don’t at least give us a general idea of where we are on the waitlist

Reactions: 1 users
At some point I have to make real decisions and I can’t do that with one last little tiny coal burning. It’s ridiculous they don’t at least give us a general idea of where we are on the waitlist
I agree, I need to get a job if I don't get in, but I wanna get hours before the next cycle...but I don't want to accept a job and then bail on them because I may get in

Reactions: 3 users
Rooting for everyone who is on the WL! For those of you who have been accepted, is there an accepted students groupme or Facebook group?

I’m honestly about to just call them and point blank ask if I’m close enough on the waitlist to still consider it an option. I don’t think that’s unprofessional or inconsiderate. I started this process of making applications over a year ago and it’s absurd to still be in the dark

I’m honestly about to just call them and point blank ask if I’m close enough on the waitlist to still consider it an option. I don’t think that’s unprofessional or inconsiderate. I started this process of making applications over a year ago and it’s absurd to still be in the dark
If you do that, let us know how it goes!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really thought there would be more waitlist movement this week... I know not everyone uses sdn, but definitely thought it would be more. Is there any other way we can check to see if movement is even happening?

All of you guys should be in getting ready for med school. I went to UAB med school a long time ago and am sitting here watching as my son with great stats 515 on his MCAT and a honest desire to help people waits on only 1 waitlist with diminishing chances to get in. Something isn’t right. He has 4 years of Vice President of engineers without borders and leading a group to Bolivia to establish an irrigation system for farmers who have drought 8 months of the year. He went to Honduras with his 87 year old grandfather to work on water purification in Honduras. He went with me to Kenya on a medical mission trip where he assisted with removing the leg of a guy with HIV and osteosarcoma not to save his life but to remove the smelly leg so he could be around his relatives as he died. The advice he has gotten so far for next application to improve his chances of getting in med school is to help more people locally. So he has been helping the wrong people??? What part of diversity is this???
I think you’re probably just not aware of how competitive admissions has become.

Its insane. There are applicants with PhD’s, military service, 3.8+ GPA’s, and high MCAT scores that can’t get in due to lack of clinical experience or some other arbitrary stat.

At my UAB interview this year there were 2 Yale grads, business owners, ect. I was 1 of 3 people with military experience.

I personally had a 3.8 GPA, 513 MCAT, director level clinical experience, former business owner, then 6 years in the Marine Corps. I volunteered hundreds of hours while balancing a full time job wife/daughter + school.

Only got 2 interviews and both were in state (UAB and South.)

I think you’re probably just not aware of how competitive admissions has become.

Its insane. There are applicants with PhD’s, military service, 3.8+ GPA’s, and high MCAT scores that can’t get in due to lack of clinical experience or some other arbitrary stat.

At my UAB interview this year there were 2 Yale grads, business owners, ect. I was 1 of 3 people with military experience.

I personally had a 3.8 GPA, 513 MCAT, director level clinical experience, former business owner, then 6 years in the Marine Corps. I volunteered hundreds of hours while balancing a full time job wife/daughter + school.

Only got 2 interviews and both were in state (UAB and South.)

You will a great doctor. I’m glad you got in. I hope he won’t give up and will follow your path.

You will a great doctor. I’m glad you got in. I hope he won’t give up and will follow your path.
No doubt your son will as well. I understand your frustration as I’d feel the same if my daughter had to go through this process (which God knows what it will look like in 18 years.)

Something that really, really makes a difference now days is story telling and marketing ability. I had an author, adcom for PhD, and like 3 other people look over my personal statements for not only errors but just finding a way to make it exciting.

I think that helped me.

Has there been any waitlist movement since last week that I'm not seeing or did they just accept a wave on last Monday and then radio static ever since?

I noticed that their Facebook group went up by 10 people... so I am assuming that means there was movement?

So...nose goes for who calls and asks about waitlist movement?

Usually after decision day on April 30th, people who have multiple acceptances have to pick one, and as a result a flood opens that is very short lived since each school has been through their apps several times and doesn't take long to make final decisions.

There’s still waitlist movement. I got off of it yesterday. Hope you guys the best of luck. Interviewed in January.

Who wants to call or email and ask about current/future waitlist movement?

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone called yet since April 30th with what USA anticipated for waitlist movement? Really have my hopes up for getting off this waitlist and really wish they would let us know at least what our position is on the waitlist. Have been putting off getting my app ready to reapply but sadly have started that process yesterday.

I don't really know if this directly correlates to WL movement, but since April 30th there have been about 15 people join the incoming class facebook group. So maybe they are about 15 people down the WL. Not sure if this is actually true, but it's the only thing I have seen to kind of go off of when it comes to WL movement.

movement is still happening, got the call today at 11:30am EST. So so excited! best of luck to you guys still waiting to hear, i know its a tough process but all your hard work will pay off eventually! stay strong

Reactions: 5 users
Praying we hear some good news this week 🤝 good luck to all of you

Anyone received any hopeful news this week? Planning on calling them tomorrow to maybe get some form of an encouraging update on what the reality of waitlist movement will be from here on out.

How'd the call go?
Anyone received any hopeful news this week? Planning on calling them tomorrow to maybe get some form of an encouraging update on what the reality of waitlist movement will be from here on out.

I just got off the phone with Mark Scott and he said that movement has come to a screeching halt and he didn't think there would be much more movement...

I just got off the phone with Mark Scott and he said that movement has come to a screeching halt and he didn't think there would be much more movement...
Hmm well I didn't talk to Mark Scott, I talked to Deborah Fetherland so I don't know what will actually happen. I guess either way is unpredictable since movement is mostly dependent on people withdrawing their position which is random.

Let’s hope there some movement today or this upcoming week so my l spark of faith can live a little longer

Well I just got a rejection email. Good luck to everyone else.

Just got the rejection email as well. It was a pleasure sitting through all of this with you. Good luck to the rest of you

I did as well, kinda shocked but I guess I’m glad there’s no more waiting game 🤷🏼‍♀️ Best of luck to everyone re-applying!

Has anyone heard anything? I know it is super late in the cycle now, and there won't be much movement left. Just trying to keep my hopes alive!

Has anyone heard anything? I know it is super late in the cycle now, and there won't be much movement left. Just trying to keep my hopes alive!
I was under the impression that they sent an email to everyone on the waitlist ending their cycle but if you didn’t get an email that said anything like that, then I guess there’s still a sliver of hope for you

I was under the impression that they sent an email to everyone on the waitlist ending their cycle but if you didn’t get an email that said anything like that, then I guess there’s still a sliver of hope for you
I didn't receive a rejection or "end of the cycle" email, so they must be paring down the list.

Yah I also haven't received a rejection letter yet. For those who are still waiting, have you already begun the reapplication process or do you have to withdraw from the waitlist before you start on the next cycle?

Yah I also haven't received a rejection letter yet. For those who are still waiting, have you already begun the reapplication process or do you have to withdraw from the waitlist before you start on the next cycle?
You can just reapply, you don’t have to wait. You won’t get your fees refunded or anything though if you’re accepted.

Accepted today, so there is still some movement.