2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received II for 2/25. I was getting paranoid because both reapplicant dates are less than two weeks away, but I guess it all worked out.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone from December interviews heard at all? Is this whole process behind or will they send out a huge batch after reviewing that many interview dates?

I interviewed mid-November and haven't heard anything beyond "Campus Choices Received." OOS. Hopefully we'll hear next week, I'm freakin out, man...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had pretty much written off UAB, seeing as I was under consideration since August, but I finally got an II. I am instate and have below average stats, but bolster them with some kick ass experience. Hold on hope! extremely intimidated by the interview process, but the instate acceptance rate helps a bit.

has anyone received merit aid from here yet? Just wondering the timeline

Should we be anxious about checking email on Mondays or Fridays if we are looking for an acceptance? Do we know when they tend to go out?

Should we be anxious about checking email on Mondays or Fridays if we are looking for an acceptance? Do we know when they tend to go out?
Just looked back through this thread, and seems like acceptances have gone out on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays so far.

Check your emails guys and gals! A batch of acceptances just went out! See you guys in the fall!!!!

No campus assignment yet though.

accepted this morning~!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody from the 1/14 interview receive any news?

Guess I got passed over again...does uab mostly wait list people in March?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious, have they sent out any rejections yet? I get that the process is they give us a score and they admit us when they're ready to admit someone with our score... So is there a score low enough that they would just outright reject you up front? I'm basically wondering if it's good news to have not heard anything post interview or if there is just going to be one big batch of rejections in April.

has anyone received merit aid from here yet? Just wondering the timeline
The timeline varies. Some people will get scholarships up front. Others won't find out until after starting that they'll get aid. I got smaller scholarships (<$10k) and I was in the latter group. I think it was like on the second day of orientation that I found out I got financial aid not in the form of loans.

Guess I got passed over again...does uab mostly wait list people in March?

Just curious, have they sent out any rejections yet? I get that the process is they give us a score and they admit us when they're ready to admit someone with our score... So is there a score low enough that they would just outright reject you up front? I'm basically wondering if it's good news to have not heard anything post interview or if there is just going to be one big batch of rejections in April.

So I think the timeline has extended slightly from when I applied. The big picture is still the same. Whatever the stated deadline is, that's when they'll issue the rejections and waitlist placement. Until then, no rejections. There's no real way to guess when acceptances come out. There's typically one big batch a few weeks prior to the waitlist/rejections though... at least in years past.

To those who were accepted, congrats! Looking back, I have no regrets about attending UAB for medical school. The clinical years, especially at the Birmingham campus, are awesome. I just finished up residency interviews, and the UAB name definitely carries substantial weight. If y'all have any questions just let me know. I pop in and out of here between electives.

Dr. Smith mentioned today that acceptances/waitlists/straight rejections will be sent out by late March

Birmingham Campus assignment!

Dr. Smith mentioned today that acceptances/waitlists/straight rejections will be sent out by late March
Does that mean that's the next time anyone will hear anything? or is that mostly referring to the waitlist/rejections?

Isn't there an interview day on March 31st?

LOL there sure is. And now that I look at the packet, theres another reference that says final decisions will be made by April. This is along with the powerpoint slide that Dr. Smith was referencing, which says final decisions will be made by late March. He did quote this line and seemed to emphasize late March.

In summation: "You'll find out some time" -UAB

Does that mean that's the next time anyone will hear anything? or is that mostly referring to the waitlist/rejections?

Dr. Smith was referencing waitlist/rejections/final pre-waitlist acceptances. He dropped the line "some will find out in the next couple weeks." But at this point, I don't really trust any estimated dates with UAB.

I'm just going to assume I'll find out in 2019, and be surprised if its any earlier.

Montgomery assignment.

Last edited:
did he say yesterday when the committee is meeting next?

Does anyone know if there is already a Facebook group for accepted individuals?

Anyone know if they're still giving out IIs? Silence since November but status still shows as "Remain Under Consideration for Interview"

They should.
Also there are still three interview dates available in March.

Anyone got advice or tips on what interview / interview day will be like? Just know it's a combo of traditional + MMI....would appreciate any and all pearls of wisdom! thanks!

Anyone got advice or tips on what interview / interview day will be like? Just know it's a combo of traditional + MMI....would appreciate any and all pearls of wisdom! thanks!

It was the longest interview day I attended so get a good nights sleep, eat well, know your app and be friendly.

It was the longest interview day I attended so get a good nights sleep, eat well, know your app and be friendly.
thanks! did they ask you specific questions re about your app? or did you just try to reference it during the MMIs? I think 8 mins is going to fly by per session

thanks! did they ask you specific questions re about your app? or did you just try to reference it during the MMIs? I think 8 mins is going to fly by per session

They made us sign a nondisclosure agreement, so I doubt you're going to get any specifics.

Try googling MMIs at UAB and look for any articles or websites that UAB produced as open information

Per above, we cant disclose specifics about the MMI/asked questions. MMI prep is worthless in my mind and tests skills that you either have or you don't. I really just recommend being well rested, being confident and being friendly.

For anyone that interviewed today, did Dr. Smith say when the next admissions committee meeting would be?

He said final decisions would be made mid-march. Those who are accepted outright will be notified and those waitlisted should be notified before or on April 1st. Im not for sure, but I think he said Committee will meet 2 more time before the March 15th. Please do not hold me to these stats because I am just relaying the message.

Reactions: 3 users
He said final decisions would be made mid-march. Those who are accepted outright will be notified and those waitlisted should be notified before or on April 1st. Im not for sure, but I think he said Committee will meet 2 more time before the March 15th. Please do not hold me to these stats because I am just relaying the message.

Thanks a ton for posting, and nobody should ever hold anyone to dates heard from UAB.

That confirms what I heard, but as someone posted, they have an interview date March 31st (the one before is March 10th, which works).

I have 2 theories for that last interview date: its a typo, or its an interview solely for waitlist spots. I've applied to another school that is now only interviewing for the waitlist, so I guess other schools could be doing that too.

Ohhh I'm holding you to those stats! UAB is known for being on time with acceptances and waitlists! Congrats on your interview also.

I got the vibe that the last few interview dates are make up dates.

Been waiting since October...probably wait listed

For anyone that interviewed today, did Dr. Smith say when the next admissions committee meeting would be?
He said the next meeting is this coming week, so the next batch of acceptances shouldn't be far out.

If you are waitlisted, what's the chance of getting an acceptance?

Dr. JohnDorian

I'm from AL

If you got an interview at all, the chances are high. Their acceptance rates for IS students is a very high percentage of those who are interviewed. Stay hopeful.

If you got an interview at all, the chances are high. Their acceptance rates for IS students is a very high percentage of those who are interviewed. Stay hopeful.

What about oos and no response since October?