2015-2016 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted this morning via email; interviewed a few weeks ago. OOS LM 72. ecstatic!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I'd like to say congrats to everyone accepted, and to be patient to everyone still waiting to hear. I am currently an MS1 at UAB and know what it was like to be in all of your shoes, so if you guys have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them now that I have some time off.

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody at UA receive their final grades and wanting to send an update to UAB? I got A's in Janna's & Secor's classes and I'm pretty stoked..

Do they take updates?
You got an A in human phys???? I would update every single school you applied to with that:eek:

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! I'd like to say congrats to everyone accepted, and to be patient to everyone still waiting to hear. I am currently an MS1 at UAB and know what it was like to be in all of your shoes, so if you guys have any questions, i'd be happy to answer them now that I have some time off.

Hey! I am curious about the "Remain under consideration for interview" status.... Im OOS and have been in this status for almost 2 months now.

Hey! I am curious about the "Remain under consideration for interview" status.... Im OOS and have been in this status for almost 2 months now.

Hi there
Im IS and have been in this status for over 2 months. I wonder too whether i will ever get a II or not..

Hi there
Im IS and have been in this status for over 2 months. I wonder too whether i will ever get a II or not..

SAME (I'm out of state, with a connection to Birmingham, AL). I've seen that other people have gotten invites from this status but it's driving me nuts! Sent an update about a month ago, no idea how receptive they are though.

Congrats to those accepted!! Did you all interview in December?

As far as I know, that just means exactly what it says. My current roommate had that status for almost 5 months, got an interview and was accepted less than a week later. The only advice I have, which isn't what you (or I when i was in your shoes) want to hear, is to be patient and go with the flow. If you're a strong applicant, you'll get an interview so no need to worry. It's honestly taking a while because you're OOS, which is normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted a while back. Likely will not attend, but wishing best of luck to everyone still waiting!

submitted secondary early November. Just checked the portal today and saw "Secondary Complete & Under Review" I sent updated grades right before Christmas. Just happy I'm not still "Secondary In Process."

Have any re-applicants heard anything since the New Year? Patiently waiting...!

Have any re-applicants heard anything since the New Year? Patiently waiting...!
Nothing yet. My guess is that they are reviewing the re-applicant applications this week and will start sending out II's in the next week or two. I did, however, receive an II from USA today.

Nothing yet. My guess is that they are reviewing the re-applicant applications this week and will start sending out II's in the next week or two. I did, however, receive an II from USA today.

Nice, enjoy your time down in Mobile. I interviewed there in October and had a great experience. I'll repost if I hear anything from UAB in the upcoming weeks.

I also called into the office to make sure they received my update two times today, and both went straight to voicemail. Not even sure if they are back in the office.

Does anyone know if UAB has rejected anyone for an interviews at this point? Trying to stay optimistic about me being in the "Remain Under Consideration" group for 2 months now lol. IS applicant

Does anyone know if UAB has rejected anyone for an interviews at this point? Trying to stay optimistic about me being in the "Remain Under Consideration" group for 2 months now lol. IS applicant

+1

Last edited:
@UABme, I'm new here, but I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me. I'm a freshman at Washington University in St. Louis, currently on the pre-med track. I plan to apply to (and really want to attend) UAB medical school down the road, since I am an in-state student. However, obviously, I can only do so much during the summer. For this reason, would you recommend that I focus most of my time and effort on research, shadowing physicians, or volunteering? Which one of these do you think helped you the most in your admission? My second question: when would be a good time to start preparing for the MCAT, in your opinion?

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but it needs to be said that you need to be doing volunteering (ideally clinical AND non clinical), shadowing (general practitioner and/or peds first and foremost, and ideally branching out just a bit afterwards), AND research (you can just do menial stuff to check the box, but publications are what makes you more competitive). As far as MCAT -prep-, the best time to do that would be somewhere around 3 or 4 months prior to your registered MCAT date and with a solid schedule laid out ahead of time.

Reactions: 2 users
I would assume they haven't, since it's only the middle of interview season. I'm with ya on the feelings of optimism though!!!! :)

I know this wasn't directed towards me, but it needs to be said that you need to be doing volunteering (ideally clinical AND non clinical), shadowing (general practitioner and/or peds first and foremost, and ideally branching out just a bit afterwards), AND research (you can just do menial stuff to check the box, but publications are what makes you more competitive). As far as MCAT -prep-, the best time to do that would be somewhere around 3 or 4 months prior to your registered MCAT date and with a solid schedule laid out ahead of time.
Thank you for the information!

Been in "Remain Under Consideration" for awhile. Know your pain
Positive thing is 6 remaining interview dates. We still have time

Anyone else able to pay the deposit without a status change post interview?

Anyone else able to pay the deposit without a status change post interview?
I was wondering about that too. I haven't gone through all the way for a payment option but I do have the link and option to pay.

How long have you had access to the link?

Been in "Remain Under Consideration" for awhile. Know your pain
Positive thing is 6 remaining interview dates. We still have time

I interviewed back on 12/03. Looking at the interview dates of the accepted students doesn't help put together a timeline either, because they are kind of all over. My guess is that they have a formula for granting acceptances in a way that leaves a proportionate number of spots at each branch campus as they fill out the class. I'm hoping to hear something back by late Jan./early Feb. though. It would've been nice to get an acceptance before my birthday though :(

I interviewed back on 12/03. Looking at the interview dates of the accepted students doesn't help put together a timeline either, because they are kind of all over. My guess is that they have a formula for granting acceptances in a way that leaves a proportionate number of spots at each branch campus as they fill out the class. I'm hoping to hear something back by late Jan./early Feb. though. It would've been nice to get an acceptance before my birthday though :(
They do have a crazy formula. I had a friend that was accepted last year and they essentially assign you a score based on some wacky formula. After your score is assigned, they move the acceptance line down until the class is filled. There's an IS bonus but that's all I know

Also, I just checked my portal and it still says "campus choices received" But I also see a button that says pay your deposit to reserve a spot in the class, does that mean that I got accepted??????

Also, I just checked my portal and it still says "campus choices received" But I also see a button that says pay your deposit to reserve a spot in the class, does that mean that I got accepted??????

You should receive an email if you got accepted. Also, you will have a campus assignment upon acceptance. So it will say "Accepted-Birmingham campus assignment" or something like that. I also have the "pay your deposit online" button on the secondary homepage. Is that where you see yours? Or is it somewhere on the application status page?

You should receive an email if you got accepted. Also, you will have a campus assignment upon acceptance. So it will say "Accepted-Birmingham campus assignment" or something like that. I also have the "pay your deposit online" button on the secondary homepage. Is that where you see yours? Or is it somewhere on the application status page?
It's on the secondary page

I have that too. Are you sure it wasn't there before? I can't remember.

Does anyone know how to answer the MMI there? Are there any acting scenarios? Difficulty Level? any examples if you can give will help! I also heard there are writing stations? Can someone please tell me about this? Just a little worried haha

You are asking us to do something illegal. We cannot talk about the MMI's.

What does it say when you click on it? Does it take you to a page where you can pay or tell you that its only for accepted students?

What does it say when you click on it? Does it take you to a page to make a payment or does it tell you that its only for accepted students?

It must be a glitch. However, before yesterday, it said that it was for accepted students only.

It must be a glitch. However, before yesterday, it said that it was for accepted students only.

Seems odd to be a "glitch" but I don't want to make any assumptions. What happens if we just pay it? Lol

How long have you had access to the link?
I interviewed back in October and I think it's been there since. I dont know if it's an indication of anything. I think we might be grasping at straws but I've been doing that since December, lol.

Is there anyone who cannot access the payment page that has interviewed? Anyone call?

I interviewed back in October and I think it's been there since. I dont know if it's an indication of anything. I think we might be grasping at straws but I've been doing that since December, lol.

Yea I honestly never paid attention to it until someone mentioned it here. Hm it could only mean good news or no news at least lol