2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received a II for the 17th!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
My LizzyM is only a 63. But I have lots and lots of extracurriculars and leadership.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Their last interview day is the 17th...you'd probably have better luck calling.
They have 2 more dates in January I believe. I don't think Dec 17th is their last date.

According to the admission office, (I called) they will not be having January interview. Dec 17th is the last one. Letter of Interest will not be of any help. Good luck to everyone!

They have 2 more dates in January I believe. I don't think Dec 17th is their last date.

My friend called a few days ago regarding her status and she told me the office told her that December 17th was the last date.

December 17th does seem early, though. I thought most schools went into Jan.

Interesting. Last year they interviewed well into January. Had 2 dates in January.

I'll ask tomorrow :) anyone have any questions they want answered? I don't mind being a messenger!

If you could ask when she anticipates the next round of pre-matches, that would be great!

Members don't see this ad :)
So to answer a few questions, today is confirmed to be the last interview date of this season. About the pre-matches they said that they DOUBT there will be anymore pre-match offers sent out before the match. The interview day here was pretty great and the staff and students are incredibly friendly!

Reactions: 3 users
To any accepted OOS students and current med students at A&M (@Command @nice2you @dogsareawesome23 @osteo141 and others)

Have you heard of anyone getting an OOS acceptance and not receiving a $1000 scholarship? Do all OOS receive the scholarship? Thank you

To any accepted OOS students and current med students at A&M (@Command @nice2you @dogsareawesome23 @osteo141 and others)

Have you heard of anyone getting an OOS acceptance and not receiving a $1000 scholarship? Do all OOS receive the scholarship? Thank you
I think it's pretty common to get the scholarship. I haven't heard of anyone not getting it.

I'm an IS applicant and submitted my secondary in August. 3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT, but I haven't heard back for an interview yet. Would it be a good idea to e-mail and request a file review (I know Texas A&M does these)?

I'm an IS applicant and submitted my secondary in August. 3.9 GPA and 512 MCAT, but I haven't heard back for an interview yet. Would it be a good idea to e-mail and request a file review (I know Texas A&M does these)?
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure their last interview was last week.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure their last interview was last week.
Alright, thanks. I was looking on their website, and it says that they do file reviews from January-June and that I can request one by e-mailing the dean of admissions. Has anyone done this before?

Holy ****. The match list here from last year is pretty incredible! Really hoping to match here on Feb 1st!

Anesthesiology at UCLA, Chicago, Mayo, Baylor, UTSW
IM at UCLA, Beth Israel, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Vandy, and Colorado
Peds at Cinci and Baylor
Neuro, Plastics, and Optho at Baylor
PM&R at Penn
Vasc Surgery at MGH

Reactions: 1 user
Alright, thanks. I was looking on their website, and it says that they do file reviews from January-June and that I can request one by e-mailing the dean of admissions. Has anyone done this before?
Yes. After my 2014 application was unsuccessful, I scheduled a conference with Leila Diaz and she gave me constructive feedback on my application.
Also, when did you apply to TMDSAS? Your stats are solid when it comes to applying.

That's pretty late. I have a feeling if you had submitted it in May when it opened, things would be a different story. By August they had already had 2 or 3 interview dates.

Yes. After my 2014 application was unsuccessful, I scheduled a conference with Leila Diaz and she gave me constructive feedback on my application.
Also, when did you apply to TMDSAS? Your stats are solid when it comes to applying.
I applied in late July (after my MCAT score came in) and completed my secondary in August

So will we not be seeing more pre match offers? I feel like they were super super conservative on offering pre matches this cycle. Does that mean we will see more match offers come match day?

Future doctors,

If any of you have any concerns/questions regarding the new curriculum, or are wondering how effective it will be (as my entering class of 2019 was), I just want to share that our professors tell us nearly every exam that we have scored the highest avg they've ever seen here. I say this just to reassure anybody concerned or questioning the new curriculum, and want to show you all that our 1.5 year (and new) pre-clinical curriculum is absolutely manageable and that it has proven to be very, very effective and successful thus far (hopefully our step scores later on will also support this). Please ask any and everything you may want to know about the school, curriculum, life, etc. All of us are happy to answer any questions! Good luck in the match and ranking your schools!

Reactions: 7 users
So will we not be seeing more pre match offers? I feel like they were super super conservative on offering pre matches this cycle. Does that mean we will see more match offers come match day?

From when they did a Q&A they said about 50% of the class is on match, 25% was pre match, and the remaining split between waitlist and other programs :) of course that's a rough estimate.

From when they did a Q&A they said about 50% of the class is on match, 25% was pre match, and the remaining split between waitlist and other programs :) of course that's a rough estimate.
Also keep in mind that 25% ratio is subject to change as those prematchers might decide to go to another school. I'm really optimistic for match day!

For the benefit of future generations, I want to point out that I wrote a letter of interest to Texas A&M and never received an interview. Rejected today OOS LizzyM~71.

Reactions: 2 users
My rejection email had the subject Release of Applicants and said that the school has concluded its interviews this year. Are all texas med schools this quick? I haven't heard back from other texas schools I applied to. Should I consider those lost causes as well?

My rejection email had the subject Release of Applicants and said that the school has concluded its interviews this year. Are all texas med schools this quick? I haven't heard back from other texas schools I applied to. Should I consider those lost causes as well?
Baylor is still interviewing. I think most the others are done or almost done though. Sorry, I know that's not the news you want to hear.

Baylor is still interviewing. I think most the others are done or almost done though. Sorry, I know that's not the news you want to hear.

aw man, that sucks. thanks for letting me know. Wow schools in texas gets done early.

Rejected today. OOS as well.

I'm pretty sure all OOS applicants get a $1000 scholarship to bring their tuition costs down. And I think a lot of instate people get a grant as well if they have all their paperwork in.

I can confirm that not ALL OOS applicants get the tuition waiver scholarship. The administration is capped at a certain amount and they are very competitive to obtain. A good amount of OOS students do get them but it is definitely not all of them. Just wanted to clear that up.

Hey guys, I'm applying next year, but have a quick question about letter of evals. Texas A&M stated they REQUIRE 2 letter of recs from professors while TMDSAS does not specify in the eval letter portion. If I send only 1 letter from a professor, does that mean that my app is N/A for A&M? Thank you for answering!

Hey guys, I'm applying next year, but have a quick question about letter of evals. Texas A&M stated they REQUIRE 2 letter of recs from professors while TMDSAS does not specify in the eval letter portion. If I send only 1 letter from a professor, does that mean that my app is N/A for A&M? Thank you for answering!
No. I sent one letter from my chem professor, one from my mentor who is an MD, and one from my sports coach in college and I got accepted.

^That's great to know because I was scrambling to get a 2nd professor letter. Thank you so much!

Am I the only one who feels like I am going to throw up every day waiting for the dang match!? I really want to go here and was hoping for a second round of Pre-Match but hey only 18 day 21 hours and 9 min. Not that I am counting or anything...

How do I know if im rejected or not? the portal just says interviewed...

Are you OOS? They've only sent out pre-II rejections, and since you already interviewed (and if you are IS) then they don't actually reject you it's more of a silence thing until the match.

It depends on if you are IS or OOS, IS doesn't find out until the match on Feb 1st at 8:00 am. For out of state I don't know.

Are you OOS? They've only sent out pre-II rejections, and since you already interviewed (and if you are IS) then they don't actually reject you it's more of a silence thing until the match.
I'm IS :)
That's good to know, thank you all!

Am I the only one who feels like I am going to throw up every day waiting for the dang match!? I really want to go here and was hoping for a second round of Pre-Match but hey only 18 day 21 hours and 9 min. Not that I am counting or anything...

Nope you're not the only one, I am really hoping for A&M myself as well, it's an amazing school. Unfortunately, according to TMDSAS pre-match offers can no longer be extended after Dec. 31 but I am so excited and hopeful for Match day!

If y'all are still in school, try using OneNote this semester to see if you like it. I find easier and more organized than paper

Well ended up deciding not to go here sooooooo one lucky person will be getting my acceptance spot! Good luck to everyone :)

Reactions: 2 users