2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh that's amazing!!! Looking forward to receiving info on that.

I meant to say this before, but I think that A&M offered the most student interaction over any of my interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

I meant to say this before, but I think that A&M offered the most student interaction over any of my interviews.
How was the actual interview? Overall pretty conversational?

How was the actual interview? Overall pretty conversational?

Two 30 minute open-file interviews that were a mix of discussion and structured questions. It seemed to me that the interviewers are responsible for "pitching" you to the committee. With that in mind their goal is two-fold; if they want to "sell" you and to be able to address concerns on your application. So if you consider discussing your application conversational, then yes. :) I had one interview that went really well and one that was poorly prepared and literally read my PS during the interview. . .

Members don't see this ad :)
Two 30 minute open-file interviews that were a mix of discussion and structured questions. It seemed to me that the interviewers are responsible for "pitching" you to the committee. With that in mind their goal is two-fold; if they want to "sell" you and to be able to address concerns on your application. So if you consider discussing your application conversational, then yes. :) I had one interview that went really well and one that was poorly prepared and literally read my PS during the interview. . .
Did you have any awkward pauses while he was reading through your PS lol? I would love to have a structured interview with back and forth dialogue.

Did you have any awkward pauses while he was reading through your PS lol? I would love to have a structured interview with back and forth dialogue.

Yes, if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

WOW!!!!!!!! I'm speechless!!!!!!

Just received an II from Texas A&M!!!!!!!! Had to blink a few times to make sure that it was my email address they sent to.....
Also, I had sent them a Letter of Interest a week and a half ago and I am like 99% sure that helped me get this II. My advice to anyone waiting for an interview, SEND THEM LETTERS OF INTEREST!!!!!! Don't think that they won't matter you just dont know!! I wrote my Letter to Dr. Diaz and Mr. Maldonado. Spoke with Dr. Diaz last year when I was looking to retake my MCAT and spoke with Mr. Maldonado at the Symposium this Spring.

Good luck to all!
CONGRATS!! I'm so proud I was really hoping you would!!

You mentioned they interview all in the way into january? Why do you say that? Their website says they stop mid-december. Are they offering dates in january?

Last edited:
Way to go Texan2414! I know how hard you've worked for this day and you deserve it as much as anyone. Good luck in your interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I've been reading posts for a while and have a question that hasn't come up yet. Did those of you who sent a letter of interest send it via snail mail, email, or dropped it off in person?

Hi, I've been reading posts for a while and have a question that hasn't come up yet. Did those of you who sent a letter of interest send it via snail mail, email, or dropped it off in person?
I just sent an email last friday to the admissions email address saying my stats are X, I've been doing X since graduation, what about my app is keeping me from getting an interview considering they are above your averages. Just be pretty straightforward don't sugar coat it saying its your dream to go to school at A&M or anything like that.

I just sent an email last friday to the admissions email address saying my stats are X, I've been doing X since graduation, what about my app is keeping me from getting an interview considering they are above your averages. Just be pretty straightforward don't sugar coat it saying its your dream to go to school at A&M or anything like that.
Yes, I emailed it to the main admissions as well as to Dr. Diaz and Mr. Maldonado.

Way to go Texan2414! I know how hard you've worked for this day and you deserve it as much as anyone. Good luck in your interview!
Thank you so much for your supportive words!

CONGRATS!! I'm so proud I was really hoping you would!!

You mentioned they interview all in the way into january? Why do you say that? Their website says they stop mid-december. Are they offering dates in january?
Instead of saying the applications be released at end of December, it now says end of January.
The same thing happened last year and they extended invites well into January. I believe they interview well until mid-January last year.

This year, I can only speculate that they will be interviewing more applicants because UT Dell and UTRGV will no doubt siphon applicants so all TX schools will have to interview more applicants to ensure their entering classes are met.

Members don't see this ad :)
So based off of other people's experiences should I send a letter of interest or not? Some of my advisors have suggested against it but some of you have said it worked for you theoretically?

So based off of other people's experiences should I send a letter of interest or not? Some of my advisors have suggested against it but some of you have said it worked for you theoretically?
At this point it can't hurt.

I sent an email to admissions last week basically saying what my stats are and my what activities have been and why tf haven't I received a II yet. And I got a II today so idk if that email did the trick or not but it cant hurt
Are you IS or OOS? I also sent a letter a little over a week ago but I haven't heard anything. I sent mine directly to Mr. Maldonado.

For the letters of interest you sent to the admissions office, who did you address?

I'm IS.. i just sent it to the general admissions email and said To whom it may concern..

Interviewed in Temple a month ago. Loved the program, but it was my most stressful interview to be honest. Lots of canned questions, not conversational. Very friendly faculty, just be advised. You'll do well I'm sure. I got the impression they really look at the applicant as a whole.

I sent them one yesterday after reading this and I got a response just now saying they don't accept updates after TMDSAS has been submitted :( sad day

Does anyone have any ideas about attire for the pre-match lunch Saturday? I figured business casual but I couldn't find anything definite on the event invite.

Does anyone have any ideas about attire for the pre-match lunch Saturday? I figured business casual but I couldn't find anything definite on the event invite.
Never mind, just got the email they sent later this afternoon. Business casual it is!

This will be my very first post to SDN. I never thought I'd actually be posting, but as I'm an avid reader I thought I might...Anyways to the juicy stuff...

I JUST GOT MY INTERVIEW INVITATION TO MY DREAM MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!! The email was at 8:30AM. IS. I'm not URM. Traditional. LizzyM 68. I had to blink a few times like @texan2414 haha. I was complete 06/01. Guys, if you are out there with any doubts, just know that IT IS POSSIBLE. Do NOT lose hope. I almost did. But you need to stay positive and grind through it. BTW SEND THEM LETTERS OF INTEREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SENT THEM MINE THREE DAYS AGO!!! AND HERE I AM. I've also done research, clinical work, shadowing, etc. etc. Interview date is 12/17 at Temple. Hopefully, I get to meet you @texan2414 ;) WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::soexcited:

Reactions: 9 users
This will be my very first post to SDN. I never thought I'd actually be posting, but as I'm an avid reader I thought I might...Anyways to the juicy stuff...

I JUST GOT MY INTERVIEW INVITATION TO MY DREAM MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!!! The email was at 8:30AM. IS. I'm not URM. Traditional. LizzyM 68. I had to blink a few times like @texan2414 haha. I was complete 06/01. Guys, if you are out there with any doubts, just know that IT IS POSSIBLE. Do NOT lose hope. I almost did. But you need to stay positive and grind through it. BTW SEND THEM LETTERS OF INTEREST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SENT THEM MINE THREE DAYS AGO!!! AND HERE I AM. I've also done research, clinical work, shadowing, etc. etc. Interview date is 12/17 at Temple. Hopefully, I get to meet you @texan2414 ;) WHOOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap::soexcited:
Congratz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hoping to see you on the 17th!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Might be a tad bit late, but does A&M send out confirmation email saying they received your application? I am looking at my email history and all I have from them is the order receipt from submitting the secondary.

EDIT: Nvm, my app says under review on the BAMF portal. So they should have all my material. Now whether to send in a letter of interest or not... hmm

Last edited:
For those of you that were accepted, what did your portal status say leading up to your acceptance?

so I originally had a question about letters of interest, but today, on the day of my UTRGV interview I got an A&M II for 12/17!!!!! So excited!!!' See you soon @Aggie Doctor and @texan2414

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thought this cycle was over for me but I just received an II here this morning! Withdrawing because I have an offer to a top choice and interviewing is getting expensive... Best of luck to everyone else though, there's still hope!!

Reactions: 4 users
Btw I am from temple originally so if anyone has questions feel free to ask!

Thought this cycle was over for me but I just received an II here this morning! Withdrawing because I have an offer to a top choice and interviewing is getting expensive... Best of luck to everyone else though, there's still hope!!
Are you IS?

Does anyone know around what date they sent out a second round of pre-match offers last year?

II today!!! Scheduled for the 17th!! I am very excited! Sent a letter of interest last week and it seems to have helped!! For those who interviewed here, how was your interview day!!??

II today!!! Scheduled for the 17th!! I am very excited! Sent a letter of interest last week and it seems to have helped!! For those who interviewed here, how was your interview day!!??
Temple campus or college station?

Aww I am interviewing at Temple. Anyways, best of luck to you!

Honestly, I talked to Katelyn* the other day and asked about this and she said that she doubts there will be any more pre-match offers as A&M is being pretty tentative with over-extending. So in all likelyhood we'll be waiting til Match day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I was super surprised to get an II for the Bryan campus for 12/17 today. IS, lizzy ariound 70

Ultimately, decided to withdraw my interview, even though A&, seems like a wonderful place. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Did anyone find out if getting a military scholarship email correlated with acceptance?

I get lots of emails about the military scholarship...then again I am currently applying for it