2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year's prompts:

18.Describe briefly any experiences and/or skills that have made you more sensitive or appreciative of other cultures or the human condition. (3500 character maximum).

19. The honor code for the Texas A&M College of Medicine is: "A Texas A&M medical student is a professional who exhibits leadership, honesty, integrity, compassion, respect and self-discipline." Please briefly discuss what activities or personal attributes demonstrate best that you would be a good custodian of our honor code (3500 character maximum).

20. Describe any circumstances indicative of some hardship, such as, but not limited to, financial difficulties, personal or family illness, a medical condition, a death in the immediate family or educational disadvantage. (Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate. The character limit on this essay is 3500).

21. OPTIONAL QUESTION: List the area (or areas) of medicine that appeals to you and briefly explain. (Limit your explanation to 50 words or 250 characters for each area of interest you list.) Do not leave blank. If not applicable, please so indicate

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As an incoming M1, I wrote this along with a current M2’s insight. I saw a similar post last year on TTUHSC’s thread (credit to them) and thought it was a great idea and huge help! Here are some of the important questions from last year’s thread and what a lot of applicants were curious about when applying. I will update this post as new information is released.

Note: Do NOT make the mistake of waiting for a Texas A&M secondary application invitation. Secondary applications are not by invitation only, they are available to everyone applying. Submit it ASAP, CHECK WITH THE ADMISSIONS OFFICE AFTER A FEW WEEKS (AT ALL SCHOOLS) TO ENSURE THEY HAVE YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATION (some schools have glitches/never received it and applicants never knew until months after and have to re-submit late).

Secondary link: http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/apply/index.html
Secondary app deadline: October 1, 2015

Pictures of TAMHSC B/CS & Round Rock campuses/facilities, and student life: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tamhsc/sets/

(2015) Admissions Statistics of Acceptances:
(will update w/ 2015 entering class matriculants when they are posted, these are preliminary numbers including all acceptances)
- http://www.taahp.net/TAAHP 2015 Report.pdf

Avg MCAT: 32.1
Avg GPA: 3.80
First Interview Invites: begin ~June 20-July 1
Interviews: 848
Acceptances: 387
Matriculated: 200
Tuition+Fees: $16,400 - most (all?) accepted out of state students will pay this in-state tuition – 2nd cheapest medical school in the nation ;)

Prerequisite Courses:

http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/admissions/apply/index.html
https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/education_Requirements.html
Note: Texas A&M requires 3 semester hours of both Biochemistry and Statistics (math or stats department)

Grading/Curriculum/Schedule:

Grading: H/P/F
- Honors: top 15% in each course receive honors
- Pass: 70-100
- Fail: 69 and below

Curriculum:
- 1.5 years pre-clinical/2.5 years clinical curriculum
- All 200 M1’s begin in College Station for 1 year (1.5 years for Houston track) before dispersing to other rotation cities or remaining in B/CS, where they will then finish the last half year of pre-clinical curriculum before beginning rotations.

- All are required to complete a scholarly research project as well as a concentration area (in areas such as public health, global health, rural and community health, leadership and health advocacy, business, law, research, healthcare policy, biotechnology, etc.). If you’re not big into research like me, understand that having a guaranteed (and plenty) of opportunities to graduate with research and a minor will help us greatly for residency applications – we’ll appreciate it come match day for residency.

Schedule:
Labs, clinical correlation lectures, as well as weekly "Intro to Clinical Skills" and "Becoming a Physician" classes (total ~10 hours/week) are the only classes with mandatory attendance. Usually 3 half days per week w/ afternoons off for self-study time. The non-mandatory attendance classes (which constitutes most classes) are all video/audio recorded.

Year 1:
1621602_orig.jpg

Year II (Pre-Clinical):
5888181_orig.jpg

Rotation Cities/Hospital Affiliations:

http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/campuses/index.html

You will submit your campus preferences shortly after Texas match day in February (you rank them 1-5 and justify why you want your preference). Here are some of the hospital affiliates:

~35 students to Houston: #1 hospital in Texas – Methodist Hospital

~50 students to Dallas: #2 hospital in Texas - Baylor Univ Medical Center & Cook Children’s

~50 students to Round Rock/Austin: two tied at #31 hospitals in Texas - St. David's Medical Center in Austin & St. David's Round Rock Medical Center

~40 students to Temple: #10 hospital in Texas/top 15 teaching hospital in the U.S. (Baylor S&W)

~25 students to B/CS: AIM rotation program - St. Joseph Hospital, College Station Medical Center

(Most get their 1st-3rd choice. If you are unhappily assigned your 2nd/3rd choice, you can request a change at two different points during M1 year - several have switched already - however you are still able to spend a large portion of clinical years in other cities besides your main 'assigned' city if you choose.

M.D. Plus Program:

http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/mdplus/programs-study.html

Texas A&M offers the following dual degree programs: M.D., M.D./PhD, M.D./MBA, M.D./MPH, M.D./MS in Medical Science, M.D./MS in Education of Healthcare Professionals.

If interested, (excluding M.D./PhD) you will apply to them once accepted to Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine. If accepted to a dual degree program, you will defer your M1 year, complete the master’s program, and then begin M1 year (5 years total for M.D. + Masters). You may also apply later on if you become interested during medical school. Last year, at least 5 scholarships worth $8,000 were given specifically to M.D. Plus students. This will cover the cost of the M.S. and MPH degrees completely.

(Optional) Medical Spanish / Pre-Matriculation MedCamp Program

For those interested, TAMHSC offers a free, 1 month long pre-matriculation MedCamp program that allows you to get accustomed to medical school prior to officially starting. Your housing and food are also paid for by TAMHSC completely during the program. This experience will allow participants a head-start to medical school by putting you in medical school classes, exposing you to medically relevant experiences, and pairing you with mentors that include faculty and current 2nd year medical students.

TAMHSC also offers a free, 1 month long medical Spanish course "Introductory Spanish for Health Professionals" during the summers, which you will receive a course certificate through the COM’s Office of Medical Education upon completion.

MedCamp Video:

Step 1/Match Lists:

2014 USMLE Step 1 average: 228/99% 1st time pass rate

Free USMLE prep course provided throughout M1 & MS2 years. A&M also provides USMLE Kaplan question bank. We are given 7-8 weeks time off for USMLE Step 1 studying.

You will get a detailed match list, including hospital name, on interview day.

2016 Match Results:
Text: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lication-thread.1133943/page-18#post-17571348
Download: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lication-thread.1133943/page-18#post-17564136

Texas A&M University undergraduate affiliation:

As a Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine student, you also have access to Texas A&M University’s undergraduate campus – including rec center, sporting events, intramural sports, libraries, facilities, etc.

For matriculating students, we used “Texas A&M University” federal school code for FAFSA: 003632

Class Environment/Global Health & Clinical Volunteer Opportunities:

I think most TX schools seem pretty supportive, and this definitely holds true for A&M as well. For example, it's just May and the our new entering class has had more class hangouts than I can count already, and set up a shared google drive well before M1 orientation/class even started haha. M1-M4’s have helped us immensely before we even started with housing, class notes, free textbooks, advice, etc. They're awesome.

Students are able to volunteer at the nonprofit, free “Health For All” Clinic in B/CS where you can take patient vitals, history, physical, present to physician, write SOAP notes, etc. Also annual international mission trips (during christmas break, spring break, summer, and a few throughout school) available through Global Health Outreach and Christian Medical Association (2015-2016 trips to Peru, Panama, Nicaragua, Houston, and McAllen), community health hullabaloo, health circus, and others. I will update with more opportunities as I learn about them!

Work/life balance? With 3+ half days every week, these 2 videos from the class of 2014 & 2016 answer that:

Interview Process:

For MD applicants: Two 30 minute 1-on-1 interviews. May be interviewed by MD’s, PhD’s, or current upper level students I believe. (open file – they have access to your MCAT, GPA, & app)

The questions from this page and other TX school pages prepared me perfectly for interviews:
http://schools.studentdoctor.net/school/tamushsc-com/survey/26#survey-result
(click "questions" and then "show more responses")

A&M offers student hosts for those interviewing and need a place to stay.

Application Tips:

In addition to applying early, which is the biggest piece of advice you should follow, set yourself apart from others outside of academics/research. There are thousands of applicants who excelled academically, so what makes you different? Talk about and show HOW you are compassionate, HOW & WHY you want to help people. Outside of academics, schools want to see what makes you the caring and selfless physician your app says you will be. Continuous volunteering, shadowing, healthcare experience, involvement with EC’s, etc. can help you answer some of these qualities.

Why Texas A&M?

Additionally, feel free to ask here or PM me or other students why we chose A&M over other schools, or if you need help comparing them like I did last year (I would love to help and answer any questions)! I could write forever on why I chose A&M, I couldn’t be happier that I decided to come here and wouldn’t change my decision at all. A&M is growing rapidly and immensely, and I am excited to be apart of it. Here are a few of the many examples: within the last few years, they gained the top 2 hospitals in Texas as main rotation hospitals, and now the majority of our class will train in 3 of the top 10 hospitals in Texas. In 2015, they just built a brand new gross anatomy, teaching, and research building with offices, teaching labs, specimen rooms, prep areas, tank wash rooms, chemical and specimen storage rooms, locker rooms, etc. This building was designed so that it can be further expanded in the future. Additionally, in 2014, A&M HSC received a 68% increase in federal funding and crossed the $100 million threshold in total annual research expenditures. You will hear all about the ambitious vision/growth at interview day, it’s exciting times.

I encourage you to ask students at any school you interview at why they chose that school, if they’re happy with their decision, and what they do outside of school – I found that most students at all the TX schools seemed pretty honest and extremely helpful. Since most TX schools are pretty similar educationally, find what else is important to you (location, opportunities outside of school, support, etc) and compare them. Finally, any other questions, feel free to ask me, other current students, or A&M admissions - they are extremely welcoming and WANT to help you (they’ll even meet with you individually should you not get accepted to help you improve for the next application cycle). Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Went to the 2015 Pre-Medical Symposium and absolutely fell in love with the place. Look really forward to applying here!

Reactions: 1 users
For the optional secondary question.

Is it 250 characters with or without spaces?

For the optional secondary question.

Is it 250 characters with or without spaces?

I think it's safer to assume it is 250 including spaces, since the rest of the essays follow that formula. Each question has a text box and they 'complain' if you go over their character limit (it starts deleting other characters). Hope that helps. Maybe a previous applicant or current student can confirm one way or the other.

How did you guys approach the honor code question?

I am trying to decide between specific examples of behaviors or generalizations through my work/experiences.

@Cawolf, I used specific examples for 5 of the characteristics and a generalization/lesson (related to a work experience but not an action I completed myself) for the sixth.

Has anyone received "true" for either the primary app or MCAT scores? I submitted on 5/2, just curious how long I should wait before contacting the school--I only have "true" for the secondary and the fee.

Has anyone received "true" for either the primary app or MCAT scores? I submitted on 5/2, just curious how long I should wait before contacting the school--I only have "true" for the secondary and the fee.

Chlorini, I believe you never see "true" for the MCAT scores. I think somewhere in the secondary instructions it tells you that if your MCAT scores have been received by TMDSAS, then you can go ahead and assume A&M has your MCAT scores, too.

As for the primary app, I don't have "true" yet either. I think we submitted the primary and secondary the same or similar days (5/2 primary, 5/3 secondary). Based on last year's thread, there was a day about one month after people submitted secondaries where A&M downloaded the primaries. Can a previous applicant confirm that last part? It's hard to tell exactly what happened from last year's thread.

@Chlorini @SweetCaroline7 I submitted around mid May also and it took a couple weeks for everything to be marked "true." As long as you have submitted (and paid) both your TMDSAS and secondary apps, I would think A&M would receive them pretty soon, as long as TMDSAS has received your MCAT scores (check that). The first II's this past cycle started late June so you both are way ahead of schedule, which is great!

Members don't see this ad :)
How are y'all responding to the human condition one? Or are you going the culture route?

How are y'all responding to the human condition one? Or are you going the culture route?
I was about to ask the same question, particularly the human condition. What does it means? Can I describe my experience with people suffering?

I think that would work. I think its asking what experiences made us understand humanity maybe?

I used that prompt to discuss my experiences where I interacted with people different than myself - it is really open-ended though.

If you don't mind, what was your theme for the essay?
I used that prompt to discuss my experiences where I interacted with people different than myself - it is really open-ended though.
its a tough one. I have been pondering on it for the past few days. I grew up in another country. But don't think I can use that for the experience with other culture.

I discussed my work experiences in an area that faced a unique set of challenges, and how working with this group of people imparted me with a greater understanding of the human condition.

Status went to "Under Review" this morning.

its a tough one. I have been pondering on it for the past few days. I grew up in another country. But don't think I can use that for the experience with other culture.

If you think that you could relate this to sensitivity of/appreciation for other cultures, I don't see why not! You have firsthand experience with another culture, and depending on the country maybe multiple cultures. There are aspects of that experience that you can bring to your work as a physician. Is there any reason you don't want to use that as the topic/theme?

Oooh me too, how exciting.

My first status change of the year!

:highfive:

Very exciting, right?! :clap: The first "Under Review" last year was 6/19, so this is soooo early! I don't know if that means they are actually reviewing applicants earlier this year or if it just means we have a longer wait under this status before any potential II.

@SweetCaroline7

I was just going to look that up! Do you know if the submission date was earlier this year for TMDSAS? Or could you always submit before June?

What was the first date of notification of reject or interview after "Under Review"?

@Cawolf, here are the dates from last year:
TMDSAS application available: 5/1
First SDN user "Under Review": 6/19
First II: 6/20
First II date (as far as I could tell): 8/21

Two things I noted from last year's thread:
1. II on 6/20 was considered early compared to the previous year
2. There is a "Pending" status prior to "Under Review." I don't know if that was eliminated this year or we both just missed the "Pending" status. I've been logging into BAMF once per day, but I guess I still could have missed it.

Edit: Whoops. First "Under Review" last year was 6/19, not 5/19.

@SweetCaroline7

"Pending" was my status while everything was not listed as "True", after I paid for my secondary. So I would bet yours was pending up until it switched.

Edit: I just saw your edit. Well that changes everything. If last year II went out just days after Under Review, how will that affect this year? I guess we just have to wait and see.

I can live vicariously through you TX residents. They might hold off on OOS interviews, it isn't very common to see many OOS applicants in the TX threads.

Last edited:
@Cawolf, see my edit. I got the month wrong the first time. Our "Under Review" status actually appeared about a month earlier than last year. I do think it will probably remain this way and II will go out around the same time as last year. It seems too early for even IS interview invites.

You live vicariously through us on TX interviews, we live vicariously through you on OOS interviews ;) I wish you the best of luck!

If you think that you could relate this to sensitivity of/appreciation for other cultures, I don't see why not! You have firsthand experience with another culture, and depending on the country maybe multiple cultures. There are aspects of that experience that you can bring to your work as a physician. Is there any reason you don't want to use that as the topic/theme?

Thanks for the response. I don't have any reason for not using it. Just confused how it fits in.

Thanks for the response. I don't have any reason for not using it. Just confused how it fits in.

Just a thought: how old were you when you moved to the US? Assuming you have memories from this time, did you have any negative or positive experiences in adjusting to culture/life in the US? Maybe someone was rude or maybe they helped you out in a moment you needed help. Maybe that shaped your understanding of the difficulties of being an immigrant or not speaking the primary language (if that's the case). Even if you didn't have an experience directly relating to medicine (making this up off the top of my head but for example, accompanying a parent to the ER because they have chest pain and they can't easily communicate their symptoms to the doctor), growing up in another culture probably shaped who you are in some way. The flip side is that in certain parts of the US, if you so choose, you could go your whole life and encounter very little diversity. In that sense, you may be able to relate to those different from you.

That said, I think the responses above are also correct and it is a rather open-ended question. I'm sure you could write about anything that answers the main question and they do provide you with another option other than cultural diversity.

Just a thought: how old were you when you moved to the US? Assuming you have memories from this time, did you have any negative or positive experiences in adjusting to culture/life in the US? Maybe someone was rude or maybe they helped you out in a moment you needed help. Maybe that shaped your understanding of the difficulties of being an immigrant or not speaking the primary language (if that's the case). Even if you didn't have an experience directly relating to medicine (making this up off the top of my head but for example, accompanying a parent to the ER because they have chest pain and they can't easily communicate their symptoms to the doctor), growing up in another culture probably shaped who you are in some way. The flip side is that in certain parts of the US, if you so choose, you could go your whole life and encounter very little diversity. In that sense, you may be able to relate to those different from you.

That said, I think the responses above are also correct and it is a rather open-ended question. I'm sure you could write about anything that answers the main question and they do provide you with another option other than cultural diversity.

I moved to the U.S. When I was 19. True, I grew up in a country with different cultures with people speaking different languages. I was able to interact with everyone even with the differences.

Woohoo! Under review!

Who else loved A&M's prompts? I felt their questions were easy to answer and that I was able to write a response that accurately reflects who I am.

How amazing would it be if they sent invites the week of review like last year?

It is a pipe dream, but fun to consider.

I hope so! Is anyone else checking their email like a crazy person??

Haha.

I try to limit myself. I am currently packing to move cross country and procrastinating with these threads. I am driving through Texas and visiting a few cities next week, which should be fun. I have only been to Dallas and El Paso.

Lol, I have set up my med school email account to ping if it gets an email. It would be like, :love::soexcited::claps:if they sent out invites in a similar timeframe as last year. I think with the holiday weekend it is very unlikely, but maybe next week?! Probably not, though.

@Cawolf, moving across the country the year before you potentially move elsewhere for school?! Must have something very exciting on your plate!

@SweetCaroline7

Well, not really. I just finished my post-bac program and moving home for applications.

Oooh. Yeah, that makes sense. :smack: I hope you find our great state to your liking, and congrats on finishing the post-bacc!

Thanks, it has been a long couple years.

I look forward to it. Going to a Ranger's game too, which I am very excited about.

@bizze

Thanks.

We were trying to figure out if the "Under Review" status a month earlier than last year meant quicker interview invites, or a longer review period. Thoughts?

I'm an incoming M1 at A&M. I was in y'all's shoes last year and I know how stressful this whole process can be. I chose A&M because it was the most welcoming school I interviewed at. I felt at home here, and the environment seemed more collaborative and encouraging. I have an M2 friend that goes here, and one of his professors even stayed on campus til 10:00 PM on a Sunday night to help a group of her students. I chose A&M over the other 5 schools I interviewed at. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me :)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an incoming M1 at A&M. I was in y'all's shoes last year and I know how stressful this whole process can be. I chose A&M because it was the most welcoming school I interviewed at. I felt at home here, and the environment seemed more collaborative and encouraging. I have an M2 friend that goes here, and one of his professors even stayed on campus til 10:00 PM on a Sunday night to help a group of her students. I chose A&M over the other 5 schools I interviewed at. If you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me :)
Heck yes! Dr. Chen, our anatomy professor, routinely stays out till 10pm on weekdays and weekends to provide anatomy reviews for your tank group before exams

question about the hardship essay. I already talked about the major hardship in my life in one of the TMDSAS essays, I have been fortunate to have had really only one significant situation that warrants talking about.. do I just rephrase it for this essay? I don't want to be redundant

question about the hardship essay. I already talked about the major hardship in my life in one of the TMDSAS essays, I have been fortunate to have had really only one significant situation that warrants talking about.. do I just rephrase it for this essay? I don't want to be redundant

I asked this same thing to A&M (and other schools') admissions last year, and I was told not to simply repeat what has already been said. What I did was (briefly) further expand/gave new info on the hardships I had already mentioned in my TMDSAS essay, along with including some other hardships I hadn't mentioned previously, but I didn't repeat any information. If you feel like you've sufficiently explained your only hardship and how it has affected/influenced you in previous essays, you don't need need to repeat it or include anything else for this prompt - just mention it has already been discussed. I know plenty of people who didn't have a significant hardship to write about and still got accepted, so don't worry if you don't have anything else to include!

I asked this same thing to A&M (and other schools') admissions last year, and I was told not to simply repeat what has already been said. What I did was (briefly) further expand/gave new info on the hardships I had already mentioned in my TMDSAS essay, along with including some other hardships I hadn't mentioned previously, but I didn't repeat any information. If you feel like you've sufficiently explained your only hardship and how it has affected/influenced you in previous essays, you don't need need to repeat it or include anything else for this prompt - just mention it has already been discussed. I know plenty of people who didn't have a significant hardship to write about and still got accepted, so don't worry if you don't have anything else to include!
Thank you!

My secondary on the BAMF system just switched to under review. Anybody know how long it will be "under review" before they decide whether I get an Interview Invite?

My secondary on the BAMF system just switched to under review. Anybody know how long it will be "under review" before they decide whether I get an Interview Invite?

A few of us have been Under Review since 5/22.

Last year the people who went under review around this time started seeing invites (if sent) as early as 6/20 - see post 25 in this thread.

Last year interviews went out at the end of this week.

I hope to hear about some status changes this Friday for you Texans! :soexcited:

Well, my TMDSAS was transmitted on 5/19. Had to wait a couple of weeks for transcripts and the committee packet. My status went under review before my packet went through, which I thought was very strange.