2015-2016 Texas A&M Health Science Center Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@Nysor_bttw Thanks a lot for providing your perspective as a med student at TAMU.
Do you think you can provide a link for the new 1.5 yr clinical curriculum that was implemented for your class this year?

Members don't see this ad.

That should be in your information folder from when you interviewed here, or at least a bare bones look at it. I'm not actually able to give out a schedule, unfortunately. If you have any specific questions about the curriculum or its layout, feel free to let me know over PM!

^ that's a good point, but this portion at least is public information from TAMHSC's website (from the online student handbook), if it's what you're asking for:

7610531_orig.png

It may look like a lot (which medial school definitely is), but 3 of those rows of classes are not time consuming at all. HEAL and ICS only meet 1x per week, and EBMSR rarely ever meets in class (1st semester it's just 1 online module/week - and it ended early November). Then December up until clinical rotations is all 1 system block at a time.

Aside from that, here are the public links if you want any additional information from where I got that from, let me know if you have any other questions or need any explanations!

http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/degrees/md.html
http://medicine.tamhsc.edu/curriculum/index.html

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@osteo141 Thanks a lot for that curriculum link.
Also, could you comment on whether the curriculum is half-day or full day? How often does the Gross Anatomy lab meet?

Also, could you comment on whether the curriculum is half-day or full day? How often does the Gross Anatomy lab meet?

They gave us a handout at the interview. 8-11 class M-F. Anatomy/histo from 1-4 MTW. Opp time Thurs and Fri after 11 AM.

Anatomy lab times have been erratic for us. Usually it is twice per week, but there have been some weeks with one and this week we have three. You form groups of six at the beginning of the block with A, B, and C subgroups and every lab one of those groups is out, which is a nice bit of free time every couple of labs. It's a bit cumbersome when you have 2 histology labs per week concurrently during the first few tests, but nothing unmanageable.

As far as full day versus half, that depends on the day. Usually if it's a day with just lectures we are out by 12, but if there's a lab the day can run from 8 to 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! Can someone create a Facebook page? Idk how but would love to start seeing who my classmates will be!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Can someone create a Facebook page? Idk how but would love to start seeing who my classmates will be!
Bumping this up. Congratulations and welcome to the class!

The FB Group can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1249618311730499/

Congratulations to those already accepted and good luck to those who have and will be interviewing! Hope the prematch and match bring you all great news.

As acceptances and matches go out, its a good idea to start bringing classmates together! Several of us deferred last year in order to join the M.D. Plus Program and will be matriculating into this years class. We have created the class Facebook page so that members can begin communicating with other incoming classmates, asking questions to current students, and getting a feel for their new Aggie Med Student family.

The FB Group can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1249618311730499/

or by searching "TAMHSC COM: Class of 2020"

Again, Congrats and Good luck!

I'm a bit nervous, I am really hoping for A&M to interview as I'm very very familiar with both Cstat and Temple campuses (especially since I'm undergrad at A&M as well). But have pre-matched UNT and just got an II from UTRGV. Do y'all think II's are still going out for A&M?

I'm a bit nervous, I am really hoping for A&M to interview as I'm very very familiar with both Cstat and Temple campuses (especially since I'm undergrad at A&M as well). But have pre-matched UNT and just got an II from UTRGV. Do y'all think II's are still going out for A&M?
Idk but I'm in the same boat as you, 68 LizzyM score and i graduated from A&M in may and I haven't gotten an II from them. So I'm clueless as to why

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent them an update a few weeks ago and they said they don't accept updates after an application has been submitted. I wonder if that applies to letters of interest.

I'm planning to send mine out today - have you sent them any letters?

So dumb question, but what exactly is this, and how do I send it. Is it basically just sending them an email if you haven't got a pre-match and say if accepted, I intend to go here?

So dumb question, but what exactly is this, and how do I send it. Is it basically just sending them an email if you haven't got a pre-match and say if accepted, I intend to go here?

No it's a Letter of Interest which is basically a letter that says "I'm really interested in your school, please give me an II" With volunteering and/or research updates added along with your reasons for wanting to attend the program.

You snail mail them or email them directly to the admissions committee.

What you're thinking of are Letters of Intent which normally occur when someone is wait listed.

Reactions: 1 users
No it's a Letter of Interest which is basically a letter that says "I'm really interested in your school, please give me an II" With volunteering and/or research updates added along with your reasons for wanting to attend the program.

You snail mail them or email them directly to the admissions committee.

What you're thinking of are Letters of Intent which normally occur when someone is wait listed.

Thanks for the info! Okay, so letters of intent are meant to be done after match? And I might add, me emailing and pestering the UTSW admissions committee got me an II, so it is worth trying!

Thanks for the info! Okay, so letters of intent are meant to be done after match? And I might add, me emailing and pestering the UTSW admissions committee got me an II, so it is worth trying!
Letters of intent can probably be done before the match, but I think they are only slightly helpful after the match when applicants are waitlisted.

Just got my acceptance letter. Yay it's official!!:soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Diaz said that letter of intent doesn't mean anything to her so its pointless sending them in to this school. But she probably doesn't receive all of them, right?
How do we make sure someone else gets the letter of intent?

Greatest moment of my life when I opened that email!

pre-matched today at 4:41

3.6 , 30, non-trad, ORM.

So grateful they saw who I really am on my interview day and were willing to give me a chance!

For the people that will read this thread next cycle... feel free to msg me in any and all things related to being old or having red flags on your app.

Nice nice!! This makes me hope :)
When did you interview btw?
I interviewed 11/12

Nice nice!! This makes me hope :)
When did you interview btw?
I interviewed 11/12

I interviewed like first week of August IIRC, and good luck!

* edit I looked and I interviewed 8/20

Last edited:
Are any of you going to that pre-match celebration thing on the 5th?

Thinking about going and taking the family. Would this be kid appropriate you think?

Thinking about going and taking the family. Would this be kid appropriate you think?

It think it depends on his/her age/s. I'm bringing my husband, but I'll be leaving my littles with Gma. I would love to see another non-trad there!

Last edited:
Edit: Double, post, sorry.

Recently I was thinking about what I needed to do, to best prepare me for starting school. I know that the common advice is to just enjoy yourself, no studying, take a trip etc...

However, I need to take two classes this spring to finish off the pre-reqs. But I was thinking that this is really a great opportunity to work on something I am pretty terrible at to be honest..... that being, organizing class materials to become as efficient as possible.

I am pretty much terrible with excel, decent with Anki, and no experience with OneNote. I feel like being functionally efficient with these programs, would be a big help in hitting the ground running come this summer.

So I found this awhile back when I was studying for my MCAT. I was using Anki and could not figure out the image occlusion add on.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCFoCMhFecNEbuZNmzhz0_g

Anyways, I found myself watching one of his videos last night, where he is talking about his "medical school desktop setup" and I saw he is a current student here! I will not name drop him here, but obviously you will see his name if you click on the link.

I know this is a long shot, because he is probably super busy, but man I would love to pick his brain and get some pointers in getting myself setup to be more organized and efficient.

If there are any current students that could PM me and possibly pass along my contact info that would be awesome!

*double post

Last edited:
Recently I was thinking about what I needed to do, to best prepare me for starting school. I know that the common advice is to just enjoy yourself, no studying, take a trip etc...

However, I need to take two classes this spring to finish off the pre-reqs. But I was thinking that this is really a great opportunity to work on something I am pretty terrible at to be honest..... that being, organizing class materials to become as efficient as possible.

I am pretty much terrible with excel, decent with Anki, and no experience with OneNote. I feel like being functionally efficient with these programs, would be a big help in hitting the ground running come this summer.

So I found this awhile back when I was studying for my MCAT. I was using Anki and could not figure out the image occlusion add on.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCFoCMhFecNEbuZNmzhz0_g

Anyways, I found myself watching one of his videos last night, where he is talking about his "medical school desktop setup" and I saw he is a current student here! I will not name drop him here, but obviously you will see his name if you click on the link.

I know this is a long shot, because he is probably super busy, but man I would love to pick his brain and get some pointers in getting myself setup to be more organized and efficient.

If there are any current students that could PM me and possibly pass along my contact info that would be awesome!

Please stop. Just relax. Preparing ahead is a terrible use of your time, and very few of us listened when they said we shouldn't. This is from experience. Make flash cards of your favorite recipes. Study the back of your sunglasses. Make an excel document of the beers you want to try, and check those off. Enjoy the last bit of true laziness and freedom you can have: it doesn't stop until retirement once you start.

Please stop. Just relax. Preparing ahead is a terrible use of your time, and very few of us listened when they said we shouldn't. This is from experience. Make flash cards of your favorite recipes. Study the back of your sunglasses. Make an excel document of the beers you want to try, and check those off. Enjoy the last bit of true laziness and freedom you can have: it doesn't stop until retirement once you start.

Point taken and I can appreciate what you are saying, maybe I didn't articulate very well what I said earlier. I don't really intend on "preparing"..... more I just want to make myself more familiar with those programs and figure out what pc I want to work with etc. Thanks again!

swivelj, how would you recommend learning anki if i don't have any class to put it to use towards?

I haven't really used it for anything else, but a guy I work with, who speaks several different languages, uses Anki. Again, it really depends on how creative you are with creating flashcards that will probably determine how you utilize it. You could write multiple choice questions, fill in the blank, diagrams etc. It also has a "cloze deletion" feature and an "image occlusion" feature as well. Regardless, anything you are interested in and think is worth committing to long term memory would be ideal for Anki.

I would recommend watching some youtube videos about how to utilize the features I just mentioned. There are also a couple of threads floating around on here with tips, tricks, etc.

I need to learn how to use the tagging feature myself, I always just created entire decks by category..... which was a mistake looking back.

does anyone know how lenient a&m is with rescheduling for interviews? they gave me a 2 day notice.. Also, do they only interview on thursdays?

does anyone know how lenient a&m is with rescheduling for interviews? they gave me a 2 day notice.. Also, do they only interview on thursdays?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they only interview on Thurs! I'm also pretty sure they'll let you reschedule, just give them a decent reason that isn't accusatory (i.e. don't say "I wasn't given enough time to prepare!"). Congrats! You'll love the interview day here.

Also did everyone that interviewed here receive an email from Navy Medicine about a week ago? It seems to congratulate us for being accepted, but the thing is... I have not been accepted! haha

It goes like this:

"Congratulations! Now comes the time to think about how you are going to pay the cost of attending school. Students may get medical school paid for or earn a generous salary. You can do all of this while attending your school of choice and emerging debt-free. We have several students at the Temple campus who are enrolled in the programs mentioned below. Contact me to help you discuss and choose the program that offers you the greatest advantage."

you can receive the military scholarship before being accepted so they send them out prematurely from what ive heard

Diaz said that letter of intent doesn't mean anything to her so its pointless sending them in to this school. But she probably doesn't receive all of them, right?
How do we make sure someone else gets the letter of intent?
I sent an email to admissions last week basically saying what my stats are and my what activities have been and why tf haven't I received a II yet. And I got a II today so idk if that email did the trick or not but it cant hurt

I sent an email to admissions last week basically saying what my stats are and my what activities have been and why tf haven't I received a II yet. And I got a II today so idk if that email did the trick or not but it cant hurt
War date is your interview

WOW!!!!!!!! I'm speechless!!!!!!

Just received an II from Texas A&M!!!!!!!! Had to blink a few times to make sure that it was my email address they sent to.....
Also, I had sent them a Letter of Interest a week and a half ago and I am like 99% sure that helped me get this II. My advice to anyone waiting for an interview, SEND THEM LETTERS OF INTEREST!!!!!! Don't think that they won't matter you just dont know!! I wrote my Letter to Dr. Diaz and Mr. Maldonado. Spoke with Dr. Diaz last year when I was looking to retake my MCAT and spoke with Mr. Maldonado at the Symposium this Spring.

Good luck to all!

Reactions: 15 users
I signed up for Dec 17th btw! They interview all the way into January.

Can someone speak about their interview day? I also noticed that unlike UTMB, TAMHSC doesn't have a student social the day before - is the only time you get to meet with other students at the Interview day iteself?

Thanks,

Can someone speak about their interview day? I also noticed that unlike UTMB, TAMHSC doesn't have a student social the day before - is the only time you get to meet with other students at the Interview day iteself?

Thanks,

I had a social in B/CS the night before my interview.

The social in Temple was a casual dinner at a restaurant w/med students.

There's a social in Temple as well. They just don't send you info about it until like the Monday before your interview.
Oh that's amazing!!! Looking forward to receiving info on that.