University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today! Interviewed 12/9. Really like this school and its mission. Waiting for other decisions. Deposit on 1/21 is too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
What are the stats of everyone getting accepted/waitlisted? Interviewing in a couple weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the stats of everyone getting accepted/waitlisted? Interviewing in a couple weeks.
I'm wondering the same thing as well. I feel like my stats are under par and will still get me rejected post-interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm wondering the same thing as well. I feel like my stats are under par and will still get me rejected post-interview.
Incorrect. DO schools only interview ~10% of applicants. If you receive a post II rejection, it's not due to your stats. If a school interviews you, they want to see if you are a good fit for their program. They already believe that you have what it takes to succeed in medical school.

Interviewed on 12/09. Have not gotten an email yet. I'm worried!

I am an undergrad senior and was planning on doing UNT's SMP program right after graduation in May in order to make up for my low GPA and apply across Texas. Recently, I've had a change of heart and don't want to waste any time between undergrad and grad school. The only Texas school that is accepting applications right now is UIWSOM. My GPA isn't great, so is it even worth applying right now? It would be at least another 2 weeks before I can have everything submitted, including app, transcripts, letters, etc.

MCAT: 512 (126/130/128/128)
GPA: 3.42
Yes, worth applying! I got accepted with almost identical stats.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

have many people gotten off the waitlist so far?

I am an undergrad senior and was planning on doing UNT's SMP program right after graduation in May in order to make up for my low GPA and apply across Texas. Recently, I've had a change of heart and don't want to waste any time between undergrad and grad school. The only Texas school that is accepting applications right now is UIWSOM. My GPA isn't great, so is it even worth applying right now? It would be at least another 2 weeks before I can have everything submitted, including app, transcripts, letters, etc.

MCAT: 512 (126/130/128/128)
GPA: 3.42

What are you talking about????? That 512 is fantastic. You are extremely competitive (just about anywhere). Go for it!

So how does the the waitlist work? Do they go by interview dates or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone say with confidence that this school is eligible for federal aid? I tried calling admissions yesterday, but no answer. I'm sure they're probably already on Christmas break. I think one person has previously confirmed, but just wanted to make sure.

II on 12/21. Very unexpected! Scheduled for 1/13. Stats: GPA 3.2 (bad, I know), 516, 5 years as a paramedic (probably helped)

II on 12/21. Very unexpected! Scheduled for 1/13. Stats: GPA 3.2 (bad, I know), 516, 5 years as a paramedic (probably helped)
You have a 516 and you're applying to a brand new program. How is this unexpected? I'd say you're a lock as long as you don't show up naked to the interview.

Is this your first II?

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a 516 and you're applying to a brand new program. How is this unexpected?

Is this your first II?

Because there are a lot of others applying and GPA is weighted more heavily than MCAT imo :p Also its my first II (and very late into the season).

Reactions: 1 users
Because there are a lot of others applying and GPA is weighted more heavily than MCAT imo :p Also its my first II (and very late into the season).

Lol, sorry for my snide response.

FYI, for DO, it's really not. As long as your GPA is 3.2+ you're fine. Your MCAT easily makes up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't gotten an email about my wait list but saw that I was on my portal. Should I call them?

Yeah I did that. But I didn't actually get an email stating that I was offered a wait list position.

516 on your MCAT is pretty amazing. That's easily a good MD school range!... I'm honestly surprised you haven't received more interview invites (Even despite a 3.2 GPA). Are you sure you didn't write something completely weird in your application essays??

516 on your MCAT is pretty amazing. That's easily a good MD school range!... I'm honestly surprised you haven't received more interview invites (Even despite a 3.2 GPA). Are you sure you didn't write something completely weird in your application essays??
I have 3.2 ugrad, 3.9 science, 513 mcat and got accepted here. You're decision will be based on your interview at this point. I'm sure you'll do great! Awesome MCAT.

YZOHb47.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

I think i wrote a good essay, but I didn't do them exceedingly well because I had no hope of actually getting into an MD school with my stats. I just wanted to end the process knowing that I applied to all my dream schools so I didn't spend the rest of my life wondering if I could have gotten in. More of a closure thing, I suppose. Perhaps my half-assery hurt me there.

I have 3.2 ugrad, 3.9 science, 513 mcat and got accepted here. You're decision will be based on your interview at this point. I'm sure you'll do great! Awesome MCAT.

Thanks! I worked my tail off for that score. Hopefully the interview goes well, I think it's gonna be my only one :/

I think i wrote a good essay, but I didn't do them exceedingly well because I had no hope of actually getting into an MD school with my stats. I just wanted to end the process knowing that I applied to all my dream schools so I didn't spend the rest of my life wondering if I could have gotten in. More of a closure thing, I suppose. Perhaps my half-assery hurt me there.

To be perfectly honest, I think you kind of shot yourself in the foot on this one! I know this won't make you feel any better, but I have a lower MCAT score and GPA than you, and I've had multiple MD interview invites, in addition to a DO acceptance from this school, (UIW)... Not everyone school focuses solely on grades or MCAT scores, sometimes it's about the person's life experiences or their reasons for going into medical school. Next time, I would develop some more self confidence and give it everything you have, and not assume that you aren't good enough for their program. Good luck to you in your future endeavors though!

Yeah. I guess I'm getting antsy since I've gotten no pre match offers from TMDSAS schools. Thanks for the advice; waiting for the holidays to be over is probably smart no matter how long its been since so many people are likely off. Rereading the complete email it says it could take eight weeks so maybe I'll wait for that to tick by and call after Jan 1 like you say if I still can't stand it and haven't heard. Thanks again.

Im having the same issues with a lot of Texas schools, I was complete Aug 23 and still no II from them or any indication they have even looked at my app except a completion email :/

To be perfectly honest, I think you kind of shot yourself in the foot on this one! I know this won't make you feel any better, but I have a lower MCAT score and GPA than you, and I've had multiple MD interview invites, in addition to a DO acceptance from this school, (UIW)... Not everyone school focuses solely on grades or MCAT scores, sometimes it's about the person's life experiences or their reasons for going into medical school. Next time, I would develop some more self confidence and give it everything you have, and not assume that you aren't good enough for their program. Good luck to you in your future endeavors though!

Thanks lol! I wish I had seen someone like you say that before I applied! All was told by my advisors is that I shouldn't even bother to do AMCAS since I wouldn't hear a thing from anyone. Plus I probably didn't apply to enough of the mid-low MD schools. I haven't been completely rejected yet by all of them, but no II either. Praying for a miracle, my app wasn't terrible, but its not perfect either.

I was accepted with a 3.7 cGPA and 508, but they may weigh stats differently based on the specifics of your ECs? Good luck to everyone. :)

Dang, 010011, those stats should have gotten you an MD acceptance for sure, especially in TX if you are a resident. Are you planning on attending UIW?

Dang, 010011, those stats should have gotten you an MD acceptance for sure, especially in TX if you are a resident. Are you planning on attending UIW?
I applied MD as well, but I was late. I really like the mission of the osteopathic schools I've looked into, especially UIW, so I think I will be attending...

Hopefully I see you there. Interview in less than two weeks.

WOOP WOOP! Interview invite scheduled for Jan 14, anybody else scheduled for the same date? If so lets go grab some lunch the day before and calm some nerves :)

Cancelled Jan. 13th interview. Nothing against UIW, my hazlewood act benefits wouldn't count here.

for those who have been accepted, how long did it take to receive an official acceptance letter packet by mail?

for those who have been accepted, how long did it take to receive an official acceptance letter packet by mail?

Probably less than 2 weeks after I paid the deposit.

Just wondering, did any of you who were accepted get in without a DO letter?

I have lots of primary care volunteer experience with underserved patients, however my work was in a free clinic run by an MD. I have an II scheduled for 1/14. I started shadowing a DO in my area this month and will continue to do so, but a letter from him won't be available until much later.

I have lots of primary care volunteer experience with underserved patients, however my work was in a free clinic run by an MD. I have an II scheduled for 1/14. I started shadowing a DO in my area this month and will continue to do so, but a letter from him won't be available until much later.

The DO letter doesn't really matter at all. I got in without one.

I got in without it.

Hey people!

I was accepted here on 11.11 and have paid the deposit. To all the other accepted folks, I'm wondering if the school has sent out any further communications regarding when school will start, financial aid (when should I fill out a FAFSA?!), and other nuts and bolts related to matriculation. At this point, I have received from them a very thoughtful Christmas card, as well as an official admission letter, and a cute little USB with housing options near campus. wondering if I've maybe missed any other information they might've sent out!
Thanks!

Does anyone have an interview scheduled for 1/14 and would like to meet up the day before? I fly into SAT at around 2pm, figured it would be nice to know some people in advance.

Who's interviewing on 1/13? I live in California, so I will have to start waking up early so that I won't be so sleepy on Friday. Breakfast starts at 5:30am PT. 0_0
I'm getting nervous and excited about this interview!!!

Who's interviewing on 1/13? I live in California, so I will have to start waking up early so that I won't be so sleepy on Friday. Breakfast starts at 5:30am PT. 0_0
I'm getting nervous and excited about this interview!!!
I'm interviewing on 1/13 as well! I live in Maryland.