University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will be withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck to you all and stay blessed!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly have no idea. If I had to guess it would be that they have more qualified candidates to interview.

That's my best guess too... They already have been sending out acceptance offers for months now. But keep up hope, because as more people drop their acceptance offers (Which is SUPER common... I'm myself thinking of dropping my acceptance offer) then they will probably interview more people and you will get a shot.

Reactions: 1 users
That's my best guess too... They already have been sending out acceptance offers for months now. But keep up hope, because as more people drop their acceptance offers (Which is SUPER common... I'm myself thinking of dropping my acceptance offer) then they will probably interview more people and you will get a shot.
We'll see. I think this program is going to have a LOT of movement due to it being a brand new program.

But I received ii's from ARCOM, LUCOM, and BCOM.

They could have also read your secondary essays and thought that others were better fits for their mission. The application process is such a crap shoot.

But I received ii's from ARCOM, LUCOM, and BCOM.

Are you in-state? Perhaps they are looking for more Texas people at this point. There were a bunch of Texas residents, myself included, on my interview date.

Are you in-state? Perhaps they are looking for more Texas people at this point. There were a bunch of Texas residents, myself included, on my interview date.

NJ resident. 3.5 gpa and 500 mcat

I think that this is the main reason why.

Has anyone gotten an interview or accepted with below a 500 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Declined my offer of acceptance. Hoping that this leads to more acceptances and II for those of you waiting. Good luck!

After much deliberation, unfortunately I will be giving up my seat for UIW tonight. Out of all the new schools opening up, this one seems to be one of the most promising and in a very good location!

I hope my spot goes to someone deserving and am excited to see how UIW will progress with time!

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't apply to this school before because it states requires a premed advisor or committee letter and I only have professor and physician letters. Now I'm really regretting not applying because I'm a Texas resident and would absolutely love to stay here. Did anyone not include an advisor letter and just substitute with another professor letter without any problems?
Even if I can get away without having an advisor letter do y'all think it's worth it to apply at this point? Stats aren't very competitive: 3.44 cgpa, 3.27 sgpa, 505, decent but not incredible EC including working as a scribe >1000 hours. I've had one interview (Didnt apply early because I'm dumb) at a school I loved and am fairly confident (and hopeful!) I will get in but would choose this school solely off location. Thanks for any input!!

I didn't apply to this school before because it states requires a premed advisor or committee letter and I only have professor and physician letters. Now I'm really regretting not applying because I'm a Texas resident and would absolutely love to stay here. Did anyone not include an advisor letter and just substitute with another professor letter without any problems?
Even if I can get away without having an advisor letter do y'all think it's worth it to apply at this point? Stats aren't very competitive: 3.44 cgpa, 3.27 sgpa, 505, decent but not incredible EC including working as a scribe >1000 hours. I've had one interview (Didnt apply early because I'm dumb) at a school I loved and am fairly confident (and hopeful!) I will get in but would choose this school solely off location. Thanks for any input!!

I didn't have an advisor letter or a committee letter because my undergraduate university doesn't do those things for pre-med students. I'm pretty sure that I called UIW admissions and asked about it and told them the reason why, and they didn't seem to mind and told me to apply anyways... anyways, I got the interview invite and acceptance without those items.

I would still apply, there will be a huge turnover rate since this is a brand new medical school. A good amount of people have already been dropping their acceptance offers this week (Early acceptance offer decision deadline) for other schools so I'm confident you can at least get an interview in the near future, (especially if you're a Texas resident).

Last edited:
I didn't have an advisor letter or a committee letter because my undergraduate university doesn't do those things for pre-med students. I'm pretty sure that I called UIW admissions and asked about it and told them the reason why, and they didn't seem to mind and told me to apply anyways... anyways, I got the interview invite and acceptance without those items.

I would still apply, there will be a huge turnover rate since this is a brand new medical school. A good amount of people have already been dropping their acceptance offers this week (Early acceptance offer decision deadline) for other schools so I'm confident you can at least get an interview in the near future, (especially if you're a Texas resident).

Thanks I guess I'll give it a try! whats another $90 at this point when youve already spent thousands :eyebrow:

Accepted!
Waitlisted from the Oct. 21st interview group and got the call that I have been pulled off the waitlist and accepted yesterday evening (12/16).

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted!
Waitlisted from the Oct. 21st interview group and got the call that I have been pulled off the waitlist and accepted yesterday evening (12/16).
Awesome! Congratulations!!

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Random question. But for those who were accepted and received a call about your acceptance, was it from the dean?
I did not get a call or letter, just an email. I did get a couple Christmas cards though!

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Last edited:

I know when I interviewed in October, Dr Dharamsi made it sound like they were just inundated with people that they really wanted to interview and get to know better; having said that, they are also very highly interested in people that match their mission to work in the local / south Texas area. If you have a connection or association with the region, I'd definitely give it a go.

As another general update, the facebook group for accepted individuals is up to 35! Given that most of that group is from SDN folks, I'd ballpark that they're somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 full at the moment, but that's literally just guesswork on my part.

Hey y'all, I interviewed with the first group and even met a few of y'all and received the first batch of acceptances and loved the school, however I received a prematch to a school close to Dallas where I'm from so I'll be withdrawing my acceptance. Hope one of y'all gets it! Good luck guys! :)

I applied somewhat late, but have stats that are decent for a new DO school (3.4ish and 505) and am a Texas resident. No love from UIW (yet anyway). I realize there will be movement, but does anyone think it would be worth giving them a call and seeing why no II yet?

I applied somewhat late, but have stats that are decent for a new DO school (3.4ish and 505) and am a Texas resident. No love from UIW (yet anyway). I realize there will be movement, but does anyone think it would be worth giving them a call and seeing why no II yet?
How long has it been? You need to wait at least 3 weeks before thinking about calling.

To keep anonymity in case UIW trolls these things, more than three weeks but somewhat less than eight weeks.

To keep anonymity in case UIW trolls these things, more than three weeks but somewhat less than eight weeks.
Ok. I'd honestly wait and call after the holidays. As long as you received a complete application email, calling won't do much, IMO.

Yeah. I guess I'm getting antsy since I've gotten no pre match offers from TMDSAS schools. Thanks for the advice; waiting for the holidays to be over is probably smart no matter how long its been since so many people are likely off. Rereading the complete email it says it could take eight weeks so maybe I'll wait for that to tick by and call after Jan 1 like you say if I still can't stand it and haven't heard. Thanks again.

For those who interviewed in early Dec (Dec 9!) are we supposed to hear back by Christmas?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II today! Scheduled for 1/14. Any immediate advice? I do plan on reading above on this thread, just no time right now haha.

If they are sending out invites today, maybe the committee is meeting about the 9/10 interview group as well. It would be awesome to know their decision before Dec 30th!

Interviewed on 12/09. Just received post-II waitlist. Felt like the school was a great match and that I interviewed really well. :unsure:

Same here. Really liked San Antonio too. I think there will be a lot of movement on this waitlist

Let's hope so. I have seen a handful of people on here turning down acceptances. I'm thinking that since it'll be a new school, people will be more likely to choose more established schools.

Waitlisted here today after the interview on 12/10. I am sure there will be quite a bit of movement, but I have to make a decision to deposit 2k at ACOM by Jan. 13. I am a Texas resident, so it will be a tough decision to eat 2k if I get pulled off. What is 2k, anyways? lol

Accepted!!! Interview 12/10. My first medical school acceptance. I'm going to be a doctor?!? Thank you SDN for your support. I cried bad. Always wondered what this moment would feel like. Now i know :)

Reactions: 10 users
Accepted today 12/22!:) Interviewed 12/10. I got the email while sitting in a drive thru line and started screaming at the top of my lungs. I will never forget this moment, my first acceptance to medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed 12/09, accepted today 12/22... still taking it all in! was looking for "Just kidding" at the end of the email.
Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users