2019-2020 University of the Incarnate Word School of Osteopathic Medicine (UIWSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Current third year here. There's a post from April 11 about local apartments, on the on the UIWSOM facebook page you should have been added to when you accepted. If you were not added to that page, just email admissions.

Ohh do we have to contact admissions to be added to the FB group? I just made a Facebook account and I keep getting denied lol :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Ohh do we have to contact admissions to be added to the FB group? I just made a Facebook account and I keep getting denied lol :unsure:

I assumed they added whoever has been accepted/paid their deposit... so emailing wouldn't hurt!

Members don't see this ad :)
So when does WL movement usually start to kick in? Given that I’m on 2 WL’s right now for Texas schools, I’m assuming my best course of action is to be ready to reapply this upcoming cycle.

Just wanted to know what would be a reasonable timeframe for me to be cautiously optimistic with the WL movement before I start going all in on my applications and sinking money again before it’s considered late for this upcoming cycle.

So when does WL movement usually start to kick in? Given that I’m on 2 WL’s right now for Texas schools, I’m assuming my best course of action is to be ready to reapply this upcoming cycle.

Just wanted to know what would be a reasonable timeframe for me to be cautiously optimistic with the WL movement before I start going all in on my applications and sinking money again before it’s considered late for this upcoming cycle.
Hi, Texas resident here. In the EXACT same boat as you. And I REALLY dont want to rewrite my PS, ask for LOR updates, etc. WL movement is said to pick up VERY soon. However, that doesn't mean (if you are eventually pulled off the WL) that you wont get pulled off at a later date after you've already thrown application money into the wind. I'd start writing and preparing the material you need and then set a hard date for yourself to submit.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, Texas resident here. In the EXACT same boat as you. And I REALLY dont want to rewrite my PS, ask for LOR updates, etc. WL movement is said to pick up VERY soon. However, that doesn't mean (if you are eventually pulled off the WL) that you wont get pulled off at a later date after you've already thrown application money into the wind. I'd start writing and preparing the material you need and then set a hard date for yourself to submit.

Exactly what I've been doing, too! 2 WL's - begging for movement so I don't have to re-take my MCAT and deal with these applications again. Just expect the best and prepare for the worst (aka having to re-apply).

WL offers have started this week because people are dropping from multiple acceptance offers down to one. Things will move even more after April 30.

Appreciate the input. Hoping for the best for all of us :)

Waitlist sucks lol

I was in the EXACT same boat last cycle. I was waitlisted and didn’t know whether I should apply again or wait it out. My advisor told me that people tend to have a better shot the earlier they apply. It was a gamble but I didn’t want to risk not getting in this cycle.

The day applications for DO opened up I had ready my PS, LOR’s, etc. I didn’t retake my MCAT. I applied to 12 schools and heard back from 8 before July. If you have the money, then I would suggest investing it in to the next cycle as early as possible. It is better to be safe than sorry. I had multiple acceptances and way more interviews this cycle *possibly* because I applied so early. I do hope you get off that waitlist though.
Could you PM Me? :)

I was in the EXACT same boat last cycle. I was waitlisted and didn’t know whether I should apply again or wait it out. My advisor told me that people tend to have a better shot the earlier they apply. It was a gamble but I didn’t want to risk not getting in this cycle.

The day applications for DO opened up I had ready my PS, LOR’s, etc. I didn’t retake my MCAT. I applied to 12 schools and heard back from 8 before July. If you have the money, then I would suggest investing it in to the next cycle as early as possible. It is better to be safe than sorry. I had multiple acceptances and way more interviews this cycle *possibly* because I applied so early. I do hope you get off that waitlist though.

What were your STAT's if you don't mind me asking and when did you submit your application? Were they all DO schools?

LizzyM is 60, I submitted a completed application before June 1st (transcripts! Take! forever!), and the schools that I heard back from were all DO (I did apply to a couple MD though).

That's what I am planning on doing this round! What was your MCAT if you don't mind sharing? Mine was 505 but I am planning to retake in July.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was accepted in March. Last week I received an acceptance at another school that will be a better fit. I have withdrawn my seat. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone,

I was accepted in March. Last week I received an acceptance at another school that will be a better fit. I have withdrawn my seat. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! Are you OOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just withdrew from the WL position. GL y'all!

Reactions: 2 users
When should we expect to see wait list movement? May 15th? The wait is killing me :(

Hello everyone,

I just made an account to add some information about the waitlist.

I interviewed virtually with UIWSOM on March 31st.

On April 22nd I was offered a position on the waitlist. I accepted the spot right away.

Today (May 4th) I was offered a spot in the upcoming class. I plan to accept it.

I am excited and just wanted to share my own experience.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello everyone,

I just made an account to add some information about the waitlist.

I interviewed virtually with UIWSOM on March 31st.

On April 22nd I was offered a position on the waitlist. I accepted the spot right away.

Today (May 4th) I was offered a spot in the upcoming class. I plan to accept it.

I am excited and just wanted to share my own experience.

Awesome, congrats!!! Would you mind sharing your stats or a LizzyM score?

Reactions: 1 users
Awesome, congrats!!! Would you mind sharing your stats or a LizzyM score?

I filled in the LizzyM and it gave me a score of 65.

I also should note that I am a nontraditional student. I am in my 30s and I think my work/volunteer experience was a big part of my application, though that is just a guess. This is my first cycle applying and I applied quite late.

I have learned a lot lurking this site. I assumed I would need to apply again next cycle. It feels nice to be on the path after waiting so many years.

I had a pretty abysmal time as an undergraduate. My grades suffered and I didn't even attend my graduation.

Supposedly Henry Ford said: “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” I guess in my old age I have taken that to heart.

Reactions: 7 users
I filled in the LizzyM and it gave me a score of 65.

I also should note that I am a nontraditional student. I am in my 30s and I think my work/volunteer experience was a big part of my application, though that is just a guess. This is my first cycle applying and I applied quite late.

I have learned a lot lurking this site. I assumed I would need to apply again next cycle. It feels nice to be on the path after waiting so many years.

I had a pretty abysmal time as an undergraduate. My grades suffered and I didn't even attend my graduation.

Supposedly Henry Ford said: “The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing.” I guess in my old age I have taken that to heart.
Congratulations! You should be really proud of yourself, this is a huge achievement and I admire people like you who stick to their dreams and goals. I too am on the waitlist and I really hope I get accepted, this my second time applying :(
Did you send any update letter or letter of intent?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, I’m an incoming student and I was wondering if anyone has any insights on living near campus vs closer to downtown. Living in an area I like is pretty important to me, but I can see how being close to campus would be great for the 8 am classes. Would you say most people live near campus?

When I toured, I didn’t see a whole lot of people studying on campus. Do most people study at home/elsewhere? If so, I don’t think living far away would bother me. If most people study on campus though, I figure I would want to be nearby.

Thanks in advance!

hi! Incoming student - so can’t entirely answer your question but I feel the same way. I’m moving to San Antonio from NYC and know how important city living is for my mental health, lol. I know I probably can’t indulge in all the fun activities but just being “in it” will be enough.

With that said, a friend of mine is a property manager in SA and suggested The Pearl area. I’m definitely going to be living closer to downtown.

This may have already been asked but it’s my first time checking the thread as an incoming student:

Is there a Facebook group for c/o 2024?

Congratulations! You should be really proud of yourself, this is a huge achievement and I admire people like you who stick to their dreams and goals. I too am on the waitlist and I really hope I get accepted, this my second time applying :(
Did you send any update letter or letter of intent?

I did not send anything after my interview except for the "Thank You" notes, which they advised me to send via email.

I am not really familiar with those types of letters, so it was something I did not even consider.

I hope you get a spot. I look forward to potentially being classmates.

So I see there’s 135 members in the Facebook group and the class total is 160. Does this mean the class isn’t full or just that all accepted applicants have not joined the fb group? Also, does anyone have a rough estimate of how many students are waitlisted? What are the odds to be pulled from the waitlist and accepted? Can any current students give some advice?

I did not send anything after my interview except for the "Thank You" notes, which they advised me to send via email.

I am not really familiar with those types of letters, so it was something I did not even consider.

I hope you get a spot. I look forward to potentially being classmates.
Thank you! I decided this is my last try, application and MCAT (so many retakes) have been pretty tough, especially on my mental health... So I am grateful for being on the WL. It was the only interview invite I got. If I don't get in, I am giving up on my dream. What kills me is that I don't have any plan B, there's nothing else that interest me. Fingers crossed.

So I see there’s 135 members in the Facebook group and the class total is 160. Does this mean the class isn’t full or just that all accepted applicants have not joined the fb group? Also, does anyone have a rough estimate of how many students are waitlisted? What are the odds to be pulled from the waitlist and accepted? Can any current students give some advice?
Not a current student, but I am also on the WL. I was thinking of calling admissions later and asking if the call is full. I am pretty sure they won't say how many ppl are on the list. And from what I have been reading on here, some ppl waitlist late in the cycle got accepted before those waitlisted early in the cycle. So I am guessing that the WL is ranked by file and not just a first-come first-serve basis... I guess there's no way to know your odds.

Not a current student, but I am also on the WL. I was thinking of calling admissions later and asking if the call is full. I am pretty sure they won't say how many ppl are on the list. And from what I have been reading on here, some ppl waitlist late in the cycle got accepted before those waitlisted early in the cycle. So I am guessing that the WL is ranked by file and not just a first-come first-serve basis... I guess there's no way to know your odds.
The best I think they could divulge is if they've already started pulling from the WL or if they are thinking of doing so within the next several days.

The best I think they could divulge is if they've already started pulling from the WL or if they are thinking of doing so within the next several days.
I think they've already started, because I've been noticing the FB group going up by 10 members every week or so...

I think they've already started, because I've been noticing the FB group going up by 10 members every week or so...
Haha oh. Someone in this thread has already said they started. Im sorry. I didn't realize which school this alert came from. Im on two WLs and the other hasn't started yet. UIW has definitely began. They'll have large movement beginning of May and then slow movement for the rest of the summer until orientation starts, as people start moving around less and less.

I think you’re right..it definitely has to be based on file. I’ve been on the waitlist since early October - fingers are still crossed though!

I think you’re right..it definitely has to be based on file. I’ve been on the waitlist since early October - fingers are still crossed though!
Yes they do have a ranking of the waitlisted applicants but will not tell you where you stand on that list.

Hello! I didn't apply this year, but am considering applying next year. I was just wondering what kind of clinical experiences people put on their applications? I spoke to an admissions rep who stated that hospice volunteering would be considered non clinical, but didn't elaborate further as to why. They also said that my previous encounters with patients (during my clinical internships) didn't count as clinical, so I'm just a little confused as to what exactly this school considers to be clinical experience.. thanks!

Thank you! I decided this is my last try, application and MCAT (so many retakes) have been pretty tough, especially on my mental health... So I am grateful for being on the WL. It was the only interview invite I got. If I don't get in, I am giving up on my dream. What kills me is that I don't have any plan B, there's nothing else that interest me. Fingers crossed.

I can certainly understand the discouraging nature of this whole thing. I was dreading having to do the process again.

I hope you do get accepted. I do not know your personal history with school or applying, but if for whatever reason you are not accepted, I hope you try again. The very fact you got waitlisted, even at one school, says you are someone a school would want. Accepted or not, from this point forward you can only get stronger as a student/applicant.

It seems a lot of us focus pretty heavily on the "numbers." I could be wrong in this, but it seems even with great MCAT and a GPA, you aren't guaranteed anything. We need physicians who are more than a couple of metrics. Though anecdotal, I have been out of school for almost a decade, and have been actively pursuing this for the past five to six years. I gave up when I received my undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.34, and entered the workforce adrift in a sea of uncertainty. I had no Plan B either. Everything I encountered as a working adult pointed me back towards medicine.

My step-father entered medical school at 34. He had a classmate who got in on her sixth cycle at 40.

Maybe I'm just preaching to the choir, but I have faith you will make an excellent, mature and empathetic physician.

Reactions: 8 users
I can certainly understand the discouraging nature of this whole thing. I was dreading having to do the process again.

I hope you do get accepted. I do not know your personal history with school or applying, but if for whatever reason you are not accepted, I hope you try again. The very fact you got waitlisted, even at one school, says you are someone a school would want. Accepted or not, from this point forward you can only get stronger as a student/applicant.

It seems a lot of us focus pretty heavily on the "numbers." I could be wrong in this, but it seems even with great MCAT and a GPA, you aren't guaranteed anything. We need physicians who are more than a couple of metrics. Though anecdotal, I have been out of school for almost a decade, and have been actively pursuing this for the past five to six years. I gave up when I received my undergraduate degree with a GPA of 3.34, and entered the workforce adrift in a sea of uncertainty. I had no Plan B either. Everything I encountered as a working adult pointed me back towards medicine.

My step-father entered medical school at 34. He had a classmate who got in on her sixth cycle at 40.

Maybe I'm just preaching to the choir, but I have faith you will make an excellent, mature and empathetic physician.
Thank you for taking the time to write this, it means a lot! And thank you for believing in me. I will keep you posted, and I wish you a successful career. Well deserved!

For people that got off the waitlist, did you get an email or a call?

Which makes me wonder whether the class is full or not.

I want to know why they interviewed soo many people if their class size is ~160. There were about 40 applicants on my interview day

I wonder how many people were waitlisted lol

There were 90 people during my interview day
If you don’t mind me asking, when was your interview? Trying to understand why they would interview so many at a time. Almost like a panic move if you interviewed late

I interviewed 2/21 and got waitlisted almost immediately. I’d say there was between 75-100 people then (not sure exact #) and there was another group the very next day. They interviewed a LOT of people.

If you don’t mind me asking, when was your interview? Trying to understand why they would interview so many at a time. Almost like a panic move if you interviewed late
My interview was Sept 27th. It was packed.

Seems like they overdid it and packed their waitlist

Yeah that’s no fun. Who knows the extent of movement we’ll get.

Traffic day for DOs typically occurs around May 15 so definitely still early for waitlist movement