University of the Incarnate Word (UIWSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmilingTooth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Secondary Essay Prompts:
  1. Explain how your exposure to and experience in the medical profession has helped prepare you for osteopathic studies? Provide specific examples. (Max. 1000 words)
  2. UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission? (Max. 1000 words)
Good luck to everyone applying!

For More info: http://www.uiw.edu/som/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First time DO applicant here. Have strong ties to San Antonio and would love to attend here. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I saw it said their interviews are MMI. Anyone ever done one and/or have tips? :)

Reactions: 1 user
So I saw it said their interviews are MMI. Anyone ever done one and/or have tips? :)
I have done it last year at ATSU-SOMA. There are different versions of it. The one at SOMA was like speed dating. We had 3-minute timers set to see 10 different people (mix of faculty and staff). Each person you meet will ask you a question and basically have a mini-conversation. Now UIWSOM might have a different format where they let you read a prompt for 5 mins. to come up with an answer and then talk to you on the issue. In any case, they are just trying to know you better. Just be confident and provide a rationalization for why you chose your responses. Good Luck!

Great MMI Video:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
MMI will vary with schools but the one I did as part of a program I was involved, you had 8 rooms and each room will give you 2 minutes to read the prompt and 6 minutes to talk about it. It sucks when you have no clue wth a prompt was asking.

Last edited:
I know its a private school, but does UIWSOM prefer instate students?

I'm sure that like all private schools they will take a lot more OOS students than the 90% IS/10% OOS that the Texas public medical schools do. But I do know that on the UIW website "[Receiving provisional accreditation status] is a crucial step in UIW’s goal of addressing the healthcare needs of San Antonio and South Texas." I've seen this at multiple OOS schools I interviewed at last year, they usually want to see someone with a interest in learning and staying in their state.

I'm sure that like all private schools they will take a lot more OOS students than the 90% IS/10% OOS that the Texas public medical schools do. But I do know that on the UIW website "[Receiving provisional accreditation status] is a crucial step in UIW’s goal of addressing the healthcare needs of San Antonio and South Texas." I've seen this at multiple OOS schools I interviewed at last year, they usually want to see someone with a interest in learning and staying in their state.

Gotcha, thanks for your answer! Do you know if they screen for a minimum Mcat/GPA in order to receive a secondary for this school?

Can anyone comment on what the area of San Antonio is like? well for the school area atleast

Members don't see this ad :)
Still nothing from this school right? Not even confirmation about primary being received?

Still nothing from this school right? Not even confirmation about primary being received?
Nothing so far. On their website, they say they will send out secondaries starting July 1. Let's hope we hear from them soon :)

Can anyone comment on what the area of San Antonio is like? well for the school area atleast

I went to UT-San Antonio for undergrad and the city is absolutely amazing. UIW is minutes from downtown, close to Brackenridge park, and the zoo. I'd do anything to be able to go back.

Primary received email today!

I received primary confirmation also. It says they are reviewing the files before sending out secondaries. So we will have to wait for the prompts.

Secondary!

Both of these have 1000 word limits.
Explain how your exposure to and experience in the medical profession has helped prepare you for osteopathic studies? Provide specific examples.

UIWSOM is the first faith-based school of osteopathic medicine in Texas and mission driven. How will you contribute to the UIWSOM by fulfilling this mission?

Reactions: 2 users
I'm kinda stumbled on the 2nd question lol.

I'm not a religious person so idk how I will answer question 2.

I'm not a religious person so idk how I will answer question 2.

Maybe just state how your past experience will help them fulfill their mission? All they care abt is mission afterall

I didn't get one but I didn't get an application received until Thursday. Hopefully I will get one

As a Muslim, question 2 will be interesting to write. I do actually like the faith-based component and emphasis by UIW and think having a curriculum based in spirituality can be useful and minimizing the likelihood of being jaded or cynical as a medical student, resident, and beyond. I have seen too many attendings that appear to be devoid of emotion when someone dies.

As a Muslim, question 2 will be interesting to write. I do actually like the faith-based component and emphasis by UIW and think having a curriculum based in spirituality can be useful and minimizing the likelihood of being jaded or cynical as a medical student, resident, and beyond. I have seen too many attendings that appear to be devoid of emotion when someone dies.
I agree. Although the school is Catholic and aims to serve in the Judeo-Christian practice, I personally think those are actually awesome guiding principles in medicine.

Submitted ;). Love this city. So close to home. Family nearby. Ready to see what is next.

Reactions: 2 users
Submitted ;). Love this city. So close to home. Family nearby. Ready to see what is next.

Wow, did you use up all 1000 words!? It's been 2 hrs for me and I am still trying to do the first prompt lol

Y'all ain't playing games.

Wait, is this school open for the upcoming year?!