Duke-NUS GMS II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats flowergirl!!! I KNEW YOU'D GET IT!!!! WHOOOHOOO!!!

Thanks! I'm glad the wait's over. Good luck to all who are still biting your nails.. Should hear lots more news coming. Btw I received email notification, but also awaiting the snail mail package.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm glad the wait's over. Good luck to all who are still biting your nails.. Should hear lots more news coming. Btw I received email notification, but also awaiting the snail mail package.

Are you Singaporean? You must have exceptional background and scores, because, as I recall, you had a pretty late interview.

Btw, were you on the hold-list?

Last edited:
Goldendaffodial is amazing!!! You deserve it :thumbup::thumbup: Every ounce of it. Good luck people!

Are you Singaporean? You must have exceptional background and scores, because, as I recall, you had a pretty late interview.

Last edited:

Yes I am local. And nope, I wasn't on the on hold list. Just attended interview on 9 Feb and then didn't hear anything until yesterday.

I guess my main strengths are: experience, both clinical and research - I have worked in the healthcare sector for the past 10 years, and have been co-PIs/collaborators in a number of studies. My GPAs and MCAT scores were pretty decent too, so that helped :) I had been so worried about the latter, cos it had been a while since I'd touched the sciences, but I guess the one month that I took off from work to study full-time for it helped.

whiteprincess - thanks for your support and kind words - keeping my fingers crossed for you too! :xf:

Yes I am local. And nope, I wasn't on the on hold list. Just attended interview on 9 Feb and then didn't hear anything until yesterday.

I guess my main strengths are: experience, both clinical and research - I have worked in the healthcare sector for the past 10 years, and have been co-PIs/collaborators in a number of studies. My GPAs and MCAT scores were pretty decent too, so that helped :) I had been so worried about the latter, cos it had been a while since I'd touched the sciences, but I guess the one month that I took off from work to study full-time for it helped.

whiteprincess - thanks for your support and kind words - keeping my fingers crossed for you too! :xf:

Congratulations goldendaffodil! Been following you since the early time on this thread. :) You've come full circle!

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Congratulations goldendaffodil! Been following you since the early time on this thread. :) You've come full circle!

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Haha.. what do you think..??

Older than the current oldest student :p I've got a kid too! And she's adorable!!

Haha.. what do you think..??

Older than the current oldest student :p I've got a kid too! And she's adorable!!

Hehe, that's really cool. :) Congratulations again. :)

I've been considering putting this off till slightly later in life, so obviously I was a bit curious.

Good luck to you. Wish you the best. :)

Hehe, that's really cool. :) Congratulations again. :)

I've been considering putting this off till slightly later in life, so obviously I was a bit curious.

Good luck to you. Wish you the best. :)
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by.. And that has made all the difference."

Better late than never,Iftekhar25!

Congrats GoldenDaffy!!!
yup! Certainly agree with all of the above! :)
you're an inspiration! Thanks so much for posting :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats GoldenDaffy!!!
yup! Certainly agree with all of the above! :)
you're an inspiration! Thanks so much for posting :thumbup: :thumbup:

Haha.. Thanks. 'GoldenDaffy' sounds too close to Daffy Duck for comfort.. :p

I wandered lonely as a cloud,
That floats on high o'er hills and vales,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host of golden daffodils,
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

For oft, when on my couch I lie,
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye,
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats GoldenDaffodil and others who are accepted! Duke-NUS is a fantastic place!

lol... the legendary BlackTalon... read your posts in the previous thread... :)
never knew u were gonna reply to this thread again... :)

Congrats GoldenDaffodil and others who are accepted! Duke-NUS is a fantastic place!

lol... the legendary BlackTalon... read your posts in the previous thread... :)
never knew u were gonna reply to this thread again... :)

OMG, legendary?!?! How did I get that status?

Anyway, I hope my posts were of some use. Ugh... this week's insane... like 20 lectures.... I'll drop in when I can though... especially during boring pharma classes :laugh:

OMG, legendary?!?! How did I get that status?

Anyway, I hope my posts were of some use. Ugh... this week's insane... like 20 lectures.... I'll drop in when I can though... especially during boring pharma classes :laugh:

haha. Yeah, I think you're quite famous by now! :laugh: A nice surprise to have you drop by! Thanks for looking for us. now we aspire to be like you (i.e. accepted) ;)

anyone heard anything so far?? April's coming in 2 days.... :scared:

Hmm.. an info from admission team member: the class will be finalized towards the end of May.. and yes, there're still some spaces available.. :)

haha. Yeah, I think you're quite famous by now! :laugh: A nice surprise to have you drop by! Thanks for looking for us. now we aspire to be like you (i.e. accepted) ;)

anyone heard anything so far?? April's coming in 2 days.... :scared:

Hmm.. an info from admission team member: the class will be finalized towards the end of May.. and yes, there're still some spaces available.. :)

can you specify who you heard this from? and how many more space?

I PM-ed you..
Sorry but I don't feel it's good to reveal ppl's name in forum.. :confused:

Btw.. i talked to another person from admission team, the person said that acceptance letter will be sent in the next few weeks (by the end of April).

In the case that there're rejection/withdrawal from the admitted applicants, the place might be given out to those who're on-hold, probably around early June.

can you specify who you heard this from? and how many more space?

Last edited:
Hello all lovely people on SDN, it was indeed a boring day at work.

But something happened at 6:06pm that changed my life forever.

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After dreaming about it for 2_ years, I'm going to become a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

same here.....:p

After dreaming about it for 2_ years, I'm going to become a doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's great guys!!!:D congrats whiteprincess and maksimsg!!! you both must be over the moon!!! glad to hear the good news!

lol CONGRATULATIONS! HOLY MOLY!

wow... such sudden news after that few weeks of silence...

CONGRATS to everyone... great news... so happy for all the SDN peeps who got in... it seems like most of the SDN people got in... can't imagine how u guys felt when opening that envelope...

Well well... anyone applying for the 2011 intake??? lol... i guess i have been asking it since some time ago...

yeah, this is life, full of changes and sometimes rapid changes....

well, we can meet before term starts right ?:D

MAKSIM!!!! Just yesterday, we were both lamenting on the indecisiveness of it all !!!!!!

Can't wait to meet you this Fall!!!!!!!! (trying to act angmoh, sorry)

My goodness, what a sudden flood of happiness!!! :) Congrats to all who has gotten in :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

See you all in the google group that was recently created - you should be invited soon.

whiteprincess - so happy for you!!

CONGRATS to everyone... great news... so happy for all the SDN peeps who got in... it seems like most of the SDN people got in... can't imagine how u guys felt when opening that envelope...

Well well... anyone applying for the 2011 intake??? lol... i guess i have been asking it since some time ago...

Didn't you get accepted?

Really happy for you, White princess! You surely deserve that!!
Enjoy the remaining few months before school starts and c ya soon!
MAKSIM!!!! Just yesterday, we were both lamenting on the indecisiveness of it all !!!!!!

Can't wait to meet you this Fall!!!!!!!! (trying to act angmoh, sorry)

Thank you dreamdukenus and flowergirl! Can't wait to meet you!

Btw, for prospective applicants, PM me if you wanna know how I approached my application differently this year.

I'm selling my MCAT books too. Let me know if you're interested ! I will donate some of them to duke-nus as well... :):):)

Really happy for you, White princess! You surely deserve that!!
Enjoy the remaining few months before school starts and c ya soon!

Hi ---

I'm new to SDN. This thread has been really helpful in getting a better sense of application/interview process for Duke-NUS. Thanks all for your contribution.

Anyway, I'm planning to apply for 2011 intake -- taking MCAT in May 2010 (for the 2nd time, actually; last one was taken in 2007) and would probably be working toward completing my apps for the 'early acceptance option'.

Question. I did my BS in Biology at an institution in the USA. I also have a MA from an institution outside of Singapore/USA/Canada in a subject that is not so related to natural/health sciences. Do you think it's worth (expected) to get my MA transcript evaluated by the World Education Services (WES)? It would be helpful if anyone here is/was in a similar situation or has some insight...

Thanks!

Hey there, look forward to meeting you too.. :)

I've also got MCAT books to sell, Kaplan and Princeton. PM me if interested! Good luck to all who are still waiting - it's not the end yet; and to all who are applying for 2011.

Hi ---

I'm new to SDN. This thread has been really helpful in getting a better sense of application/interview process for Duke-NUS. Thanks all for your contribution.

Anyway, I'm planning to apply for 2011 intake -- taking MCAT in May 2010 (for the 2nd time, actually; last one was taken in 2007) and would probably be working toward completing my apps for the 'early acceptance option'.

Question. I did my BS in Biology at an institution in the USA. I also have a MA from an institution outside of Singapore/USA/Canada in a subject that is not so related to natural/health sciences. Do you think it's worth (expected) to get my MA transcript evaluated by the World Education Services (WES)? It would be helpful if anyone here is/was in a similar situation or has some insight...

Thanks!
Hi, welcome to SDN. I believe it is a requirement that transcripts outside of US and Singapore be evaluated by WES. I did my undergrad in the UK and had to submit the evaluation too.

Hi, im new to SDN, i might be applying for the 2011 intake! but im not confident of getting accepted though..

oh wells....i'll be graduating this may! what about u?

Hi, im new to SDN, i might be applying for the 2011 intake! but im not confident of getting accepted though..

oh wells....i'll be graduating this may!

does anyone have any idea as to why Duke-NUS review everyone's financial aid before acceptance?

does anyone have any idea as to why Duke-NUS review everyone's financial aid before acceptance?

I may be wrong on this, but they do not review an applicant's FA until they are accepted or waitlisted.

Gathering FA info right after the interview is just procedural and it is timed in such a way that when someone gets the offer, the FA is not too far behind.

they do send FA package within a week after acceptance, so they may review FA and general application simultaneously.

I may be wrong on this, but they do not review an applicant's FA until they are accepted or waitlisted.

Gathering FA info right after the interview is just procedural and it is timed in such a way that when someone gets the offer, the FA is not too far behind.

I think Dr. Kamei mentioned this during my "Applicant Day." They offer a comprehensive package, so I guess they cut down on the lead time required on gathering information like this.

They even asked me for "correct documents" just a week before I got rejected, so it looks like their workflow involves locking down all financial aid supporting documents before a decision is made.

If you're wondering if financial situation has any bearing on an applicant's chances, then consider this:

I am a single parent, and sole breadwinner in my household of 4. Going back to full-time studies would mean that my household is incomeless for 4 years.

Yet Duke still accepted me, with a fairly generous financial aid deal - by no means sufficient to cover everything, but nonetheless generous on their part.

Hope that's some solace to all who are worried.

If you're wondering if financial situation has any bearing on an applicant's chances, then consider this:

I am a single parent, and sole breadwinner in my household of 4. Going back to full-time studies would mean that my household is incomeless for 4 years.

Yet Duke still accepted me, with a fairly generous financial aid deal - by no means sufficient to cover everything, but nonetheless generous on their part.

Hope that's some solace to all who are worried.

very interesting, thank you for sharing

Hey all, I've been following this thread on and off. Thinking of applying for the 2011, took the MCAT once before and did horribly - used Examkrackers. Saw goldendaffodil and whiteprincess mentioning they still had their MCAT stuff, was wondering what material did the 2 (and anyone else) of you use.

Btw, I PM-ed both of you, so do check your inbox! Tks!

And heartiest congrats to all that got into the class of 2010!

Status
Not open for further replies.