2019-2020 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did they say anything about a virtual second look? I didn't receive the email that 2nd look was cancelled lol
I didn't receive it either but I didn't RSVP to second look. I was thinking about emailing them tomorrow if I don't get anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Does Duke extending spring break and going to all online classes impact the medical school as well? Any epidemiologists on hear want to give the odds that our first semester of med school will be online only? I don't think this is likely at all, but I didn't predict Duke going to online classes or cancelling second look at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
@MC_Infarction @olderbrooklyndoc I remember someone at my interview day mentioning that most of the first years live in the same apartment complex - if this is truue could you point me in the right direction please? thanks!!
There are quite a few apartment complexes within walking distance from the hospital. The most popular apartments, which are right across from campus, are Trinity Commons and Lofts at Lakeview:

Quite a few other options are available on LaSalle, a little further, but still walkable (imo):

Happy to discuss more via PM if you'd like!

Reactions: 1 user
Does Duke extending spring break and going to all online classes impact the medical school as well? Any epidemiologists on hear want to give the odds that our first semester of med school will be online only? I don't think this is likely at all, but I didn't predict Duke going to online classes or cancelling second look at all.
So, where it stands right now is that all classes/didactic sessions have been moved to online/cancelled, but clinical duties (with isolation restrictions, been in place for a while) are still happening right now. All that being said, very rapidly updating situation and I don't think anyone knows quite what to expect.

Is there/will there be a fb group? Would really appreciate this especially now that second look is canceled.

Reactions: 9 users
Awesome! Do you guys know anything about how the MD/MPH program works with Chapel Hill? I'm very interested in doing a dual degree but I'm not sure how feasible it is to get both in 4 years--I've heard that Duke allows students to pursue dual degrees during their 3rd year, and the UNC MPH program can be finished in 1 year? I'm also not sure how the cost would work for this; would I be paying tuition to Duke, UNC, or both?

I can speak on this a bit.

Completing a dual degree at Duke and getting out in 4 years is completely reasonable as far as time commitments go. The structure of the third year is basically focused around completing a scholarly project under the guidance of a mentor. Because most masters level programs are going to require scholarly research/projects, the school of medicine is flexible in allowing you to double dip tp fulfill this requirement. There are many degree options available to Duke medical students. The MPH at chapel hill is a very popular option (several students each year from Duke go this route), the MBA at Duke Fuqua School of Medicine is also a popular option however it will require an extra year to complete. There are degrees in public policy, management if clinical informatics, law, engineering, and then there is always the option to pursue degrees at away institutions.

Some things to consider
1. Cost: You will be paying dual tuition for your third year at the SOM as well as the tuition for whatever other program you are enrolled in. This will definitely increase your total cost of attendance, however there are some nuances to this. By the time third year rolls around, if you were planning on the MPH at chapel hill, you will have had plenty of time to establish yourself as a resident of NC, allowing you to pay in-state tuition at UNC. If you decide to pursue the Masters of Management in Clinical Informatics, this degree is technically housed under the school of medicine at Duke and as a dual enrollee you will be eligible to obtain a 50% tuition break on your masters degree. There is also an annual fund available to Duke medical students pursuing dual degrees, depending on the year and the amount of students pursuing a dual degree this may work out to approx 8-12k in scholarship money. Degrees requiring extra years (MBA, JD for example), you will have to pay a continuing education fee that totals around 600 dollars (thats right, six hundred, not six thousand) and that counts as your "tuition" for that year at Duke SOM, you will still be on the hook for tuition at your other program. This continuing education fee applies to anyone taking an "exta" third year, regardless of if you are pursuing another degree or not.

2. Timing: With the recent switch to Step 1 being pass/fail, it is really hard for me to comment exactly on how that is going to affect the future flow through Duke's third year. It used to be that students would take a protected block of time for "dedicated" Step 1 studying. My guess is that the focus will just shift to Step 2 CK and the dedicated block will just be used for this exam instead. Many students, if not most, would take their dedicated block immediately at the start of 3rd year and slay the Step 1 beast before beginning the research portion of their year. Dual degree students have to plan a little differently. It is hard to take a dedicated block of time when you have multiple schedules to balance (classes for your masters, random required courses through Duke for third year, any kind of extra curricular activities you might be involved in). Many dual degree students will shoot to use their winter break or other break from their masters to really take dedicated study time. The later into third year you get, the more you start to plan and worry about applications for residency and the start of interview season. The overall picture I am trying to paint is that you will no doubt be busier in some ways if you choose to pursue another degree, however it is a small sacrifice to make to be able to graduate with multiple degrees within 4-5 years.

I hope the wall of text was informative and not an overload. Since our classes have been cancelled I will have time to answer any further questions about dual degrees, Duke, Duke basketball, Durham, the dog scene in town, basically whaever.

Best of luck to all you amazing people!

Is there/will there be a fb group? Would really appreciate this especially now that second look is canceled.

Seconding! I was kind of hoping to use this weekend to find some potential roomies as well since rent is SO not fun on your own... if there's anyone on the same boat and there isn't already a group available, maybe we should make one to have people connect with one another?

Seconding! I was kind of hoping to use this weekend to find some potential roomies as well since rent is SO not fun on your own... if there's anyone on the same boat and there isn't already a group available, maybe we should make one to have people connect with one another?
We should make a GroupMe!

If anyone wants to join an unofficial FB page just to try and meet a couple people or maybe find a potential roommate, we could probably get plenty of people on it just through SDN. I just threw a FB page and GroupMe together so I'll drop a link

FB: Log into Facebook | Facebook
GroupMe: GroupMe

Have they already decided on merit aid? I remember someone saying they do it after second look, or would it be in the regular financial aid offer if you got it?

Have they already decided on merit aid? I remember someone saying they do it after second look, or would it be in the regular financial aid offer if you got it?
I had emailed and they said after second look. If you already got your financial aid that doesn’t mean you could not possibly still receive merit aid.

There are quite a few apartment complexes within walking distance from the hospital. The most popular apartments, which are right across from campus, are Trinity Commons and Lofts at Lakeview:

Quite a few other options are available on LaSalle, a little further, but still walkable (imo):

Happy to discuss more via PM if you'd like!

@fortheangels the 2nd look team is also releasing a series of videos w/ apartment and home tours by current students so you can get a virtual sense of what these properties look like. I live in one of the big complexes and am happy to discuss more.

Also, feel free to PM for more detail!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a weird question, but is there anyone on here who's accepted but is thinking of attending a different program? I'm really looking to share some perspectives.

^^^Also, wondering about whether anyone has heard about merit aid. Would appreciate any information!

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone have any information on Duke's stance on admitted students changing their classes to P/F due to the pandemic? My school is offering the option to change to pass/fail and still count towards major requirements and it would be nice to not have to worry much.

Does anyone have any information on Duke's stance on admitted students changing their classes to P/F due to the pandemic? My school is offering the option to change to pass/fail and still count towards major requirements and it would be nice to not have to worry much.
Are you referring to your undergrad transcript for this semester? First, take all this with a grain of salt because I don't know the 'official' school stance. 1. You're admitted - unless something totally egregious happened (e.g. you fail a required class or something) what reason would they have to rescind your application at this point? They want you to attend! 2. Undergrad campus switched to a similar policy, so I feel like it would be unfair of them to hold you to a different standard compared to their own undergrads. And clerkships are doing something similar for the rest of the year.

Got merit offer in the middle of the night ln (1:18am eastern???)

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I also got a call about merit money today at 1:30 pm ET. Didn't say the exact amount. Said they would send an updated financial aid package with the scholarship included.

Edit: they sent the email with the scholarship added to my financial aid package also at 1:18 am ET. Guess they like that time?? Certainly is one of my new favorite times. :soexcited:

Last edited:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but should I go ahead and complete the CSS profile even though I'm just on the waiting list? I already completed the FAFSA. I saw the deadline for CSS for Duke was tomorrow, so I'm just wondering if I need to do it. Thank you!

I would say still complete CSS. That is just coming from someone on hear once telling me to submit all the financial aid info to any school you get an interview invite to. I'm by no mean an expert.

Anyone know if it’s too late for an LOI? I didn’t want to send one before I knew my financial aid situation at other schools. Thanks!

Anyone know if it’s too late for an LOI? I didn’t want to send one before I knew my financial aid situation at other schools. Thanks!
Like you're currently on the waitlist, or accepted and wanting to get more financial aid?

Like you're currently on the waitlist, or accepted and wanting to get more financial aid?
On the waitlist! Could not commit to definitely going to Duke if accepted before knowing my financial situation at other schools, but now I’m pretty confident that I can.

On the waitlist! Could not commit to definitely going to Duke if accepted before knowing my financial situation at other schools, but now I’m pretty confident that I can.

I don't think there's any harm in it, even if it is "too late." But I doubt they have finalized waitlist offers by now so I think you might as well shoot your shot!

I don't think there's any harm in it, even if it is "too late." But I doubt they have finalized waitlist offers by now so I think you might as well shoot your shot!
Yeah, I agree with this.

@nsbullfrog I’d send it ASAP because people will drop schools (including duke) tomorrow and the next day with the April 15th deadline and they might try to make offers from the waitlist soon thereafter?

As crazy as this feels to say, I am withdrawing my acceptance at Duke today. I hope it helps one of you out and that you have a wonderful time there!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
As crazy as this feels to say, I am withdrawing my acceptance at Duke today. I hope it helps one of you out and that you have a wonderful time there!
+1, can't believe it but sincerely hopes it goes to someone here <3

• Love
+1, can't believe it but sincerely hopes it goes to someone here <3
It's truly surreal. I felt so lucky to get in there in the first place that I still feel a little nuts saying no. I'm confident about the program I'm choosing, but wow.... Duke was special. Hope you have a great experience at yours.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Did anyone get a call today? Last year they started accepting people from the waitlist on May 1st

Got the call from Dr. Yee a half hour ago. Completely shocked!

Edit: any groupme or fb page to join? I tried the link from a few pages back and it didn’t work. Trying to make up for lost time! :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew from my acceptance a couple days ago. Hardest decision of my life—I really loved this school. Hope the spot goes/went to y’all, SDN gang! Thank you for keeping me grounded throughout this process <3

Got accepted from the waitlist yesterday, I'm beyond excited! I really wasn't expecting to get in

Reactions: 6 users
Withdrew from the waitlist. I called to ask about possible movement and they said it is possible there will be more movement (did not mention if it would be 1 person or 10)

I GOT THE CALL TODAY!! I'm literally in shock!!

I'm so paranoid I'm going to do something wrong or that it wasn't real lol

Reactions: 5 users