Duke-NUS GMS II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys..

Just wondering.. Are there any of you who are applying for 2010 intake and have been interviewed but haven't received any updates yet?

All of my friends are either on hold or rejected already..
I'm kinda looking fwd to receiving a letter from Duke-NUS, whether rejection or acceptance.. As long as I know asap, I would be happy so that I can prepare what I shd do after my graduation.. Btw, I called Ms Tammie, she said it's prob by the end of April everyone will have received the application results.. :confused:

Same here, I haven't receive any information either... I dunno if that's a good sign or a bad sign... though sounds pretty bad to me lol

Members don't see this ad.

Should be taken as a good sign!! I've got a feeling (woohoo) that some acceptances would be rolled out this Friday.. Womanly, non-trustworthy instinct. D-DAY y'all! I hope for good news for all of us!! :xf:

Cosppocrates: are you currently in NTU or NUS?

Same here, I haven't receive any information either... I dunno if that's a good sign or a bad sign... though sounds pretty bad to me lol

:)
Should be taken as a good sign!! I've got a feeling (woohoo) that some acceptances would be rolled out this Friday.. Womanly, non-trustworthy instinct. D-DAY y'all! I hope for good news for all of us!! :xf:

Whiteprincess apparently you are becoming good at analysing the acceptance trends!;) I think your instinct is gonna to be pretty accurate , I too believe quite likely that there will be offer letters going out this Friday! All the best to everyone here who is waiting, I will be rooting for you guys! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Yeah good luck! :thumbup: Sure its going to be good news!

Duke (Durham's Duke) is sending out their decisions now. Acceptances, WLs, Rejections.. Check out their thread. Some of the stats of people who were rejected/WL are absolutely amazing. >35 MCAT, stellar GPA in a Top 20 school. WOW.

Tammie mentioned that there will be an interview session in April, anyone know the date?

Are they still interviewing people for 2010 intake? Does anyone know when they stop interviewing?

Wow.. I thot this month is gonna be the last month of interviewing? :eek:

Btw guys.. Duke-NUS is really a good school, with brilliant and enthusiastic students, considering that even a person who has higher position than Research Scientist is thinking of applying for MD program ;)..

According to posts from last year... This should be a good sign! Hope to hear your good news soon! Good luck to all:thumbup:

Nothing.... anyone?? Cmon Duke-NUS!! Show us some love like how we've shown you!!! :love::love::love:

Nothing.... anyone?? Cmon Duke-NUS!! Show us some love like how we've shown you!!! :love::love::love:

Keep refreshing for new mails in your mailbox between 1730 and 1800 hours Singapore time, that's when the acceptance mails are usually out :) All the best guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm..
My friend received acceptance offer last 2 weeks in the morning tho'.. :cool:

Keep refreshing for new mails in your mailbox between 1730 and 1800 hours Singapore time, that's when the acceptance mails are usually out :) All the best guys!

sigh.... it's so hard to keep waiting isn't it?

I remember the admissions staff saying that all decisions--acceptance/WL/rejections, will be sent by snail mail. so maybe they've made the decisions but have yet to send them out? you think? :rolleyes: refute me if I'm wrong

anyways all the best to everyone here waiting!

sigh.... it's so hard to keep waiting isn't it?

I remember the admissions staff saying that all decisions--acceptance/WL/rejections, will be sent by snail mail. so maybe they've made the decisions but have yet to send them out? you think? :rolleyes: refute me if I'm wrong

anyways all the best to everyone here waiting!

Hmm.. I know some friends applying or studying in Duke-NUS.. And based on their experiences:

1. one friend applied and was waiting for interview application. Then, she told me, finally she got rejected and not shortlisted for interview.

2. one friend was interviewed in December, and received rejection letter (snail mail) last week.

2. four friends received admission offer by email. (either on Monday or Friday)

3. two friends are waitlisted (notified by email)

4. one friend (already in Duke-NUS third year), received her admission offer via snail mail in mid March three years ago!!! hehe....

I think it's most prob by snail mail that we'll receive news from them :eek:

@Yanzhi: my friend was interviewed on 19th of Nov 2009.

So.. taking stock:

The count now stands at 20. (people who I know personally and have talked to on the forums)

NOT including people who keep a low profile and/or not read this forum..

Buffer: 20 + 15 = 35. ~25 more offers.

Optimistic much? For all we know, there's only 5 spots left.. .....

Hmm.. I know some friends applying or studying in Duke-NUS.. And based on their experiences:

1. one friend applied and was waiting for interview application. Then, she told me, finally she got rejected and not shortlisted for interview.

2. one friend was interviewed in December, and received rejection letter (snail mail) last week.

4. one friend (already in Duke-NUS third year), received her admission offer via snail mail in mid March three years ago!!! hehe....

Seems like all the acceptance are sent out by email first. Now snail mail is just plain scary. Anyway best luck to all of us who havent heard from the school yet

So.. taking stock:

The count now stands at 20. (people who I know personally and have talked to on the forums)

NOT including people who keep a low profile and/or not read this forum..

Buffer: 20 + 15 = 35. ~25 more offers.

Optimistic much? For all we know, there's only 5 spots left.. .....

I know the feeling:p Hang in there everyone. I wish all of you the best.
Also, I don't know how many intl students have been accepted, but it seems like students that get accepted here have good enough credentials to get accepted at schools in the States and elsewhere, so I think quite a few of them will withdraw.

BTW, yeah, Duke is crazy. I interviewed there last time, and I got rejected outright... I totally blew my interview then. I think avg MCAT of the ppl matriculating there is 35...

Last edited:
Hello fellow applicants out there. I am also in the same boat. decided to join in and wait with you guys. Was in the Feb 9 applicant's day and nothing heard out since. Haha anyway all the best to you people who are waiting for the news =)

Hello fellow applicants out there. I am also in the same boat. decided to join in and wait with you guys. Was in the Feb 9 applicant's day and nothing heard out since. Haha anyway all the best to you people who are waiting for the news =)
Hey there.. So we were at the same Applicant's Day.. I haven't heard anything either. So hard to plan for anything whilst fate is hanging still huh. Hope to hear more good news in the coming week..

Hey there.. So we were at the same Applicant's Day.. I haven't heard anything either. So hard to plan for anything whilst fate is hanging still huh. Hope to hear more good news in the coming week..

Yeah me too. but i have to graduate first la. so now busy with FYP and praying to get in. this period last year it seems that much of the people got their letters, so i guess its coming liao. i just hope i wont fall into the limbo....the wait is killer!!

pardon my singlish, i thought i should give some introduction to the local lingo here for the international applicants out there

Yeah me too. but i have to graduate first la. so now busy with FYP and praying to get in. this period last year it seems that much of the people got their letters, so i guess its coming liao. i just hope i wont fall into the limbo....the wait is killer!!

pardon my singlish, i thought i should give some introduction to the local lingo here for the international applicants out there

wahlaoz .. first time hear singlish on this forum! .. and I realise your name laksa - yong tau hu! haha sooo cool! A good crash course for those coming in! :laugh:

wa kaoz. Is your SDN handle named after your fav dish? Then I better change whiteprincess to hokkienmee :thumbup::thumbup:

wahlaoz .. first time hear singlish on this forum! .. and I realise your name laksa - yong tau hu! haha sooo cool! A good crash course for those coming in! :laugh:

sibei LOL...

esp hearing whiteprincess say wa kaoz... LOL

welcome to the thread laksa - yong tau hu (something i always eat on monday in NUS science canteen)...

wa kaoz. Is your SDN handle named after your fav dish? Then I better change whiteprincess to hokkienmee :thumbup::thumbup:

haha nice to know you guys. anyway NUS arts canteen's laksa yong tau hu is real cheap and good. really recommend that to you people if you have not tried it. :D hope to hear good news from you ppl.

Just wanted to share with you guys. Submitted my PhD (life science) application today. Both my PIs wrote strong rec letters. If this doesn't work out, at least I know that I have an incredibly exciting project coming up this July. :thumbup:

Life is what you make of it!!!

It's been more than 2 weeks since I heard ppl received news from Duke-NUS (accepted and rejected)... Will we only hear from them in April... :poke:

That's a sick emoticon!! loves it.

Sigh. I don't know if "no news is good news" is valid anymore...

It's been more than 2 weeks since I heard ppl received news from Duke-NUS (accepted and rejected)... Will we only hear from them in April... :poke:

Maybe they are deciding between whiteprincess and vimn... lol... just kidding...

i hope you 2 receive good news... i guess they are deciding the last pool of people...

That's a sick emoticon!! loves it.

Sigh. I don't know if "no news is good news" is valid anymore...

Congrts on your new journey in research. Passion is all it takes and apparently, you have it all!

This admission season is not over yet right? I am happy to know they actually send out rejection letters already.

Let this game finish quickly please.....:thumbup:

Just wanted to share with you guys. Submitted my PhD (life science) application today. Both my PIs wrote strong rec letters. If this doesn't work out, at least I know that I have an incredibly exciting project coming up this July. :thumbup:

Life is what you make of it!!!

Yes, I totally second that. On the up side, no acceptances have been sent out since the last wave. So it's coming people!!

Be afraid, be very...afraid. :laugh:

Congrts on your new journey in research. Passion is all it takes and apparently, you have it all!

This admission season is not over yet right? I am happy to know they actually send out rejection letters already.

Let this game finish quickly please.....:thumbup:

Hello guys,

There was an admission seminar at the engineering auditorium this afternoon in school so i dropped by and managed to talk to Dr. Stenberg. there was free pizzas. but more importantly, it seems that tomorrow is the last batch of interviewees and Dr Stenberg kinda implied(i didnt ask specifically) that they are going to finalise everything soon. so i am not too sure if those of us who are waiting had been sent our letters already or are we gonna be review together with this last batch. I also talked to one of the admission staff and they have confirmed that "rejection letters are sent out already(but maybe not acceptance), and if you have not heard anything means you are still in the game."

oooooo suspense!!

Laksa YTF, thanks for sharing. I'm surprised that tomorrow's the last batch of interview. Last year, it went all the way to April! Yeah rejection letters have been sent out. But not all! I'm sure there's still a pile. Pessimistic much? :(

I'm thinking that they will review tomorrow's batch, accept the 3-4 people they most definitely (confirm plus chop plus guarantee) want, and let the rest of us fight it out.

Hey ytf, I PM-ed you. :)

Hello guys,

There was an admission seminar at the engineering auditorium this afternoon in school so i dropped by and managed to talk to Dr. Stenberg. there was free pizzas. but more importantly, it seems that tomorrow is the last batch of interviewees and Dr Stenberg kinda implied(i didnt ask specifically) that they are going to finalise everything soon. so i am not too sure if those of us who are waiting had been sent our letters already or are we gonna be review together with this last batch. I also talked to one of the admission staff and they have confirmed that "rejection letters are sent out already(but maybe not acceptance), and if you have not heard anything means you are still in the game."

oooooo suspense!!

Thanks for the post laksayongtauhu! yup, I also heard from someone something somewhat similar to what you said. :nod: Things should be finalized within the next few weeks after the last interview tomorrow. I think the review should include those still waiting for a response..... :scared: :uhno:

I'm also in the still-waiting group
From what I heard, Duke-NUS also plans to take in 56 students this year.
And till now, 45 applicants have already accepted their offer, leaving only 11 spots left...

That's scary...

Last edited:
Wow..
how do you know that it's 45 :eek: very few places left for us........
Btw.. I heard from my friend, that her friend (sounds complicated, yea) went for interview in October 2009, and got accepted yesterday..

I'm also in the still-waiting group
From what I heard, Duke-NUS also plans to take in 56 students this year.
And till now, 45 applicants have already accepted their offer, leaving only 11 posts left...

That's scary...

So let's not needlessly raise each other's blood pressure with what "someone something somewhat" said, and focus on what we know for certain.

It seems there are applicants that received deferred decision letters*, and those that haven't. So what's the difference?
Do those in the deferred decision pool stand a better chance? Or are those without the deferred letters first in line for an acceptance (or rejection)?

Letting everyone know which group you're in, and whether you've received a rejection or acceptance since mid-Feb would help us understand the admission process better.

I've received a deferred decision letter from the committee about a month ago and have not heard anything yet.

*keep in mind this is different from a waiting list, but rather a re-review by committee at a later date aka hold list

Last edited:
Hi all,

Have a couple of books on medical school essays (real essays that worked), detailing how to highlight your personal qualities and achievements for your application. Found them very useful and insightful. Don't think they are found in borders/kino at present.

Will sell them for very reasonable price! Do PM me!

Usually, I would like to NOT listen to "someone said something".. But unfortunately, there must be some truth in that. :(:(

I heard that no acceptances were sent out since feb 26, but I heard this piece of news on Tuesday. So maybe on Wed they did sent out some? For future references, I would really like Duke-NUS to insert the link to this forum inside the applicants' day file. And make posting about their status mandatory!!! Haha.

Rowerling, have you tried calling Duke-NUS for info about your status?

So let's not needlessly raise each other's blood pressure with what "someone something somewhat" said, and focus on what we know for certain.

It seems there are applicants that received deferred decision letters*, and those that haven't. So what's the difference?
Do those in the deferred decision pool stand a better chance? Or are those without the deferred letters first in line for an acceptance (or rejection)?

Letting everyone know which group you're in, and whether you've received a rejection or acceptance since mid-Feb would help us understand the admission process better.

I've received a deferred decision letter from the committee about a month ago and have not heard anything yet.

*keep in mind this is different from a waiting list, but rather a re-review by committee at a later date aka hold list

"By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for MD-PhD programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

So by next next wednesday, all decisions would have to be made.

Last edited:
Ooooh, the suspense! :) Good luck to you guys! Sounds like most people here are still competing since very few outright rejections!

I really hope you do suggest to Duke that... "Duke-NUS to insert the link to this forum inside the applicants' day file. And make posting about their status mandatory"...

this will certainly help the future generations like us...

all the best ya...

Usually, I would like to NOT listen to "someone said something".. But unfortunately, there must be some truth in that. :(:(

I heard that no acceptances were sent out since feb 26, but I heard this piece of news on Tuesday. So maybe on Wed they did sent out some? For future references, I would really like Duke-NUS to insert the link to this forum inside the applicants' day file. And make posting about their status mandatory!!! Haha.

I think it would be out of line to bug admissions about my status, as I am sure they will eventually come. As long as they're meticulously looking at each applicant, I wouldn't bother. Beside, I wouldn't want to give them any reasons not to like me.

"By March 30 of the matriculation year, March 15 for MD-PhD programs, each school or program have issued a number of offers of acceptance at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and have reported those acceptance actions to the AAMC Section for Medical School Application Services."

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm

So by next next wednesday, all decisions would have to be made.

Not necessarily. First Duke-NUS is not affiliated with AAMC. We didn't apply through AMCAS therefore, Duke-NUS doesn't have to abide by their schedule. Second, all students apply to Duk-NUS MD first, and apply for the PhD program their second year in medical school.

I really hope you do suggest to Duke that... "Duke-NUS to insert the link to this forum inside the applicants' day file. And make posting about their status mandatory"...

this will certainly help the future generations like us...

all the best ya...

Really? Fat chance. SDN is perhaps the least professional forum imaginable for academic institutions to associate with. Any imbecile can come in and troll discussions, take Duke-NUS previous excursion into China and Eastern Asia SDN for example
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=677893

Then again, in Singapore, the government does operate through Facebook..

Last edited:
yeah i wouldn't take it too seriously too... but i believe they should set up a private forum or something for potential candidates...

I think it would be out of line to bug admissions about my status, as I am sure they will eventually come. As long as they're meticulously looking at each applicant, I wouldn't bother. Beside, I wouldn't want to give them any reasons not to like me.

Not necessarily. First Duke-NUS is not affiliated with AAMC. We didn't apply through AMCAS therefore, Duke-NUS doesn't have to abide by their schedule. Second, all students apply to Duk-NUS MD first, and apply for the PhD program their second year in medical school.

Really? Fat chance. SDN is perhaps the least professional forum imaginable for academic institutions to associate with. Any imbecile can come in and troll discussions, take Duke-NUS previous excursion into China and Eastern Asia SDN for example
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=677893

Then again, in Singapore, the government does operate through Facebook..

Status
Not open for further replies.