Duke-NUS GMS II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breakaway

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys and Girls,
The last thread was closed so I opened a new one here. So, who is waiting for news of the interview currently? Or have anyone received news already?

Members don't see this ad.

well still finishing up with the numerous essays and getting some documents in order but should be submitting my application by 25 oct after that its the wait for interviews

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been waiting for about a month now... Has anyone heard anything yet?

how do u apply anyway? do u have those 5 big essays like u have for duke?
anyone here singaporean and doing this after ur BS in nus/ntu/smu?

Reactions: 1 user
just got the interview invite via email!

from their website it looks like this month is the time that they start reviewing applications, so if you're considering applying, it's not too late to submit. the 5 essays are the same as Duke's (ibelieve).

if you email Tammie Zhu (the admissions exec), she's really helpful and responds quickly.
also, it looks like it's to your advantage to have your materials sent before you finish your app, it takes awhile to mail overseas.

i'm pretty excited, singapore is such an awesome city and NUS is one of the best schools in Asia! Duke ain't bad either ;-)

I just got my interview invite as well. That was extremely fast considering I got a notification that my application was complete less than a week ago! I was invited to come to Boston, but I'm hoping they have an interview day on Duke campus as I'm a student at Duke right now...

Me too!! Just received the interview invite via email. So excited!

for you guys that received the interview congrats. May I just ask did you guys receive a secondary application with more essays after submitting the primary application or did you just need to submit the first one with the personal statement ,ethic etc. Thanks

I just got my interview invite as well. That was extremely fast considering I got a notification that my application was complete less than a week ago! I was invited to come to Boston, but I'm hoping they have an interview day on Duke campus as I'm a student at Duke right now...

hey gte,
i contacted the Duke-NUS office about it and it looks like they are considering a durham interview date but it won't be until early next year. not sure where Duke-NUS falls amongst your school preferences, but it's a top choice for me. so even though i originally had something important on the november date and boston is inconvenient for me too, i'm definitely gonna go.

for you guys that received the interview congrats. May I just ask did you guys receive a secondary application with more essays after submitting the primary application or did you just need to submit the first one with the personal statement ,ethic etc. Thanks

there wasn't a secondary, although there is an on-the-spot essay during the interview day. good luck with the primary essays though, they're a handful, same one's as Duke's. should be worth it though!

thanks, jahen.
yeah, Tammie told me they will have one in Jan, but I don't wanna wait that long, so I decided I'm gonna go to Boston.
It's your first choice? Are you from Singapore, or around there? I know Singapore is a great city, but I don't know enough about the school. Guess I'll find out more in Boston.

biomd,
yeah, as Jahen said, no secondary. App is pretty grueling, but not identical to Duke app. Duke app is the toughest secondary by far! No other school comes even close...

thanks, jahen.
yeah, Tammie told me they will have one in Jan, but I don't wanna wait that long, so I decided I'm gonna go to Boston.
It's your first choice? Are you from Singapore, or around there? I know Singapore is a great city, but I don't know enough about the school. Guess I'll find out more in Boston.

biomd,
yeah, as Jahen said, no secondary. App is pretty grueling, but not identical to Duke app. Duke app is the toughest secondary by far! No other school comes even close...

not from singapore, but i hear from friends that it's a really cool place. as far as "first choice" goes, i'll be happy to go to any school that'll take me! but yeah, Duke-NUS seems like a much better program than i think most people realize. i would definitely love to go there.
you should check out their facebook group, they have a ton of videos and more info than you can find on their website.

Hi, has anyone been to the applicant day yet? care to share how it went please? thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, has anyone been to the applicant day yet? care to share how it went please? thank you.

I went to the one on the 5th, and I must say, the program really impressed me. The TeamLEAD session seems like a very creative and effective way of teaching and learning.
The interviews were pretty chill, Deans Cook and Stenberg were very affable and helpful, and other applicants I met there seemed pretty cool as well. From what I've heard there as well as what I researched on my own, Duke-NUS really offers a quality education, perhaps just as good, if not better, as that you would get in the States or Europe. If 5 year service commitment is not a big negative for you, I would recommend giving this school a serious consideration.
As for preparing for the interview and essay, there isn't really much to prepare for. Just know your background, what you wrote in the application, and don't overthink the essay portion.

I see, thanks for the reply. So I suppose the essay is another one of those ethical/moral type question? or more like generaly essay? Also, what is the structure like for the interview day? you have a team lead session for how long? were the interviews back to back with the essay as the last part??

Hey all,

I just got my invitation to the January applicant day in SF

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas of what to expect.

Also I'm curious if there's any way to look up the number of accepted students (I read 55 was the number in the old thread) versus the total number invited for an interview.. I've tried google but it isn't doing much for me.

i wish they didnt have the slave for ssm lee for 5 years thing. if not i wud definitely apply :S

I see, thanks for the reply. So I suppose the essay is another one of those ethical/moral type question? or more like generaly essay? Also, what is the structure like for the interview day? you have a team lead session for how long? were the interviews back to back with the essay as the last part??

It depends. Our TeamLead session went way longer than the schedule, but that wasn't because it wasn't well organized or dragged out for too long. It just went so well, and discussions were very interesting. My schedule said everything including lunch should have been over by 1 or 1:30, but I was done after 3.
They stagger the interviews. Only two interviewers are there, so some ppl will be working on their essays while others are interviewing. I was in the very first session (only 4 of us in that group) that started the day at 8:15. Since only 4 of us were there, we had our two interviews and essay back to back, but about 8 people showed up for the later group that came in around 10:30 when my group was done with all of our interviews and essays, so their schedule must have been different. They started with TeamLEAD session whereas my group ended with it, and since 8 ppl were in that group, some ppl may have had to wait between interviews. All 12 of us did TeamLEAD together.
Essay was situational ethics question, but wasn't really too difficult to answer, I think. I'm not sure if the questions are the same at every interview, though.

Hey all,

I just got my invitation to the January applicant day in SF

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or ideas of what to expect.

Also I'm curious if there's any way to look up the number of accepted students (I read 55 was the number in the old thread) versus the total number invited for an interview.. I've tried google but it isn't doing much for me.

I think for the last yr's class, or the class before that, they received over 800 applications for ~50 places. I'm not sure how many people were actually interviewed, though. So this school may be more competitive than a lot of the schools in the US statistically. But I have a feeling that with South Asian culture/mentality, strong stats, a.k.a. GPA and MCAT, will put you at a considerable advantage. I also got the impression from the presentation that was given and the applicants there that they kind of care about the school you attended, so the name recognition of your school may help if you went to an ivy-league school or Duke, for instance. I could be wrong, though.

^ . singapore is in south east asia -.-

Does one get an interview invitation after the LORs are received or after completing the online application?

hi all
i have submitted all my things in mid-Nov and now waiting for my MCAT exam in Jan 2010
anyone had the interviewed?

Does one get an interview invitation after the LORs are received or after completing the online application?

I think everything has to be submitted before the application is reviewed.

hi all
i have submitted all my things in mid-Nov and now waiting for my MCAT exam in Jan 2010
anyone had the interviewed?

yeah, I had mine on Nov. 5th.

how is it going? is it the same with previous years like on the spot essay, group discussion and an individual interview? mind to share more? thx

how is it going? is it the same with previous years like on the spot essay, group discussion and an individual interview? mind to share more? thx

yeah, that's basically how it works. See the posts above.

how long does it take to get the login email after registering?

almost immediately, it should be automatically send out by the system

time pass extremely slow while waiting for updates and MCAT exam

Hi, I have several MCAT books for sale, they really helped me greatly in my MCAT prep, got a real high score for my science scores.

1) Examkrackers, with 3 subjects books namely Biology, General Chem,Organic Chem.

2) Kaplan MCAT Premier Program (with CD ROM), very comprehensive review.

3) Barrons MCAT (4 full length practice tests included inside)

4) Princeton Review MCAT CBT (math and science reviews)

5) Nova's Physics MCAT book (really recommend for physics review)

All are in good condition. At very reasonable price, available in Singapore only. Contact me!

cheers

Hi, I have several MCAT books for sale, they really helped me greatly in my MCAT prep, got a real high score for my science scores.

1) Examkrackers, with 3 subjects books namely Biology, General Chem,Organic Chem.

2) Kaplan MCAT Premier Program (with CD ROM), very comprehensive review.

3) Barrons MCAT (4 full length practice tests included inside)

4) Princeton Review MCAT CBT (math and science reviews)

5) Nova's Physics MCAT book (really recommend for physics review)

All are in good condition. At very reasonable price, available in Singapore only. Contact me!

cheers

whats high?

Bannie, that's pretty blatant!

Yeah, but what's high? LOL.

I heard Barron's and PR's Cracking the CBT is pretty sucky.

i know her marks now :p
and they ARE high :thumbup:

and why are you putting down her wares=p
now nobodys gonna buy them!!!

i never used barrons... so i dont know.
on the other hand... i did PR, but i dont know whats the PR mcat cbt=/

how about examcracker and kaplan? are they similar to the real exam? which one is most difficult?

Has anyone who went to the Boston applicant day heard back yet?
The wait is killing me. I really want to get into this school.
Does anyone know to expect their reply by e-mail or snail mail?
And for those who are still waiting to hear about interviews, good luck, guys. I hope you get good news.

How did your interview go? Can you give a run-down?

I'm just curious.. But for what it's worth, I am still waiting to go to the one in Jan so I'm assuming that you wouldn't hear back until after that batch (?)

Seems to make sense to me, so the anxiousness is probably not warranted at this point..

Totally unused. Bought from amazon but decided not to take in the end.

1) The Princeton Review- Cracking the MCAT CBT 2nd Edition
2) Barron's MCAT 2009 12th Edition

Both are the latest as of now. Both are brand new, untouched.
Deal in Singapore only. PM me or Email me at [email protected]

Thanks and good luck!

:hello: Season's greetings to all fellows! Cheers for the coming year and may all dreams come true :)

I'm waiting to hear from Duke-NUS, so anxious, and still anxious. Dreamed about the school in 2 nights already. Am I having the worst post-interview syndrome here~ :laugh:

I look forward to hearing more voices here:highfive:

Happy New Year!!!

Hey everyone! Belated Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all! :laugh:
Ya, I'm waiting to hear news as well! You're not the only one with post interview syndrome!!! I seem to have developed a compulsive urge to check my email :laugh: haha! I'm nervous 'cos my CAP and MCAT scores were pretty low :(... looks like the first batch of acceptance letters have been sent out? What are the stats of the person who was accepted whiteprincess? care to share? Please don't be offended by me asking, but any information would be helpful...:) Thanks so much!
wishing everyone all the best! same, hope to hear from more people out there! :love:

Hey dreamdukenus and lifescience, which interview date did you guys go to? Both dorky dorky nicks by the way. Mine is way more bimbotic. :D

Fret not, we're all in the same gloomy boat. The guy I know that got accepted was from NUS Life Science. High MCAT probably. MCAT is darn important, no matter what they say.

Anyone here from the Nov 19 interview batch?

Anyone interviewing on 5th Jan? Does anyone know what kind of certificates they expect from us?

Hi WhitePrincess and lifescience :),

I'm from the first batch of interview, on Oct 29. I think essays and interviews are far more important. I probably didn't do well in these two. Regret it so much. My chance of offer is probably not much. Good luck to you! Happy to see u guys n girls posting here. It's always great to have companions to share the same pursuit :)
Hey dreamdukenus and lifescience, which interview date did you guys go to? Both dorky dorky nicks by the way. Mine is way more bimbotic. :D

Fret not, we're all in the same gloomy boat. The guy I know that got accepted was from NUS Life Science. High MCAT probably. MCAT is darn important, no matter what they say.

Anyone here from the Nov 19 interview batch?

Hi Lifescience,

I have a personal feeling that interview is far more important. If you've done an effort in impressing them with your essay and interview, you can be confident :)

Hey everyone! Belated Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all! :laugh:
Ya, I'm waiting to hear news as well! You're not the only one with post interview syndrome!!! I seem to have developed a compulsive urge to check my email :laugh: haha! I'm nervous 'cos my CAP and MCAT scores were pretty low :(... looks like the first batch of acceptance letters have been sent out? What are the stats of the person who was accepted whiteprincess? care to share? Please don't be offended by me asking, but any information would be helpful...:) Thanks so much!
wishing everyone all the best! same, hope to hear from more people out there! :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.