2022-2023 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got waitlisted 2 mins ago via email!

Members don't see this ad.

The fact that they take this long to email people about a WL/R is infuriating. Do they not know how to do a mass email...

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
+1 for the waitlist! They should update their email title though because it made me think it was an A for a moment

Reactions: 2 users
Just got a post-interview rejection. Congrats to everyone accepted, and good luck to those on the waitlist!

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
So, is WL movement purely luck at this point? Is there a way for us to know who might make it off?

So, is WL movement purely luck at this point? Is there a way for us to know who might make it off?
So I haven’t done a deep dive on this, but as far as I know, there isn’t a ranking of waitlist students that are available to us. I saw that last year someone asked on the thread whether or not it was worth it to email the admissions committee asking if they can tell the student what their chances are because they need to start planning things for their job and living situation, but I don’t remember seeing the student update the thread after.

Off the top of my head the only things we can really go off of on how much waitlist movement there will be is how many students at second look got acceptances into other T5/T10 schools or got better financial aid packages elsewhere AND the committed GroupMe numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Off the top of my head the only things we can really go off of on how much waitlist movement there will be is how many students at second look got acceptances into other T5/T10 schools or got better financial aid packages elsewhere AND the committed GroupMe numbers.
This is too much neuroticism, take a chill pill 😂😂

Is there a process for accepting the offer? Do we just plan to enroll with AMCAS and that’s it?

for second look, do we just stay in a hotel? there wasn’t much info about potential lodging so just curious!

Hey everyone, I'm a current upperclassman at Duke. I use to come on SDN back as an MS1/MS2 to help answer questions but haven't checked back in a while. Wanted to make myself a resource again and now seems like a good time given acceptances have recently gone out!

To answer a question above re: housing during 2nd look. There will definitely be options for student housing. Last I heard, they were in the process of finalizing the students who would be volunteering their spaces. Otherwise, Airbnbs/hotels are an option but less fun (imo).

I didn’t get an email but I checked the website and the banner is a Pre-II R in case anyone was still waiting

Hey everyone, I'm a current upperclassman at Duke. I use to come on SDN back as an MS1/MS2 to help answer questions but haven't checked back in a while. Wanted to make myself a resource again and now seems like a good time given acceptances have recently gone out!

To answer a question above re: housing during 2nd look. There will definitely be options for student housing. Last I heard, they were in the process of finalizing the students who would be volunteering their spaces. Otherwise, Airbnbs/hotels are an option but less fun (imo).
Hi, do you mind if I DM you to learn some more about Duke please?

1. How stressful was your 1st yr with the condensed 1yr preclinical curriculum, looking back, what are the pros and cons?

2. What is the school culture like is it collaborative, how tight-knit are students, how is the admin do they listen to students are they friendly?

3. How do you like living in Durham

1. How stressful was your 1st yr with the condensed 1yr preclinical curriculum, looking back, what are the pros and cons?

2. What is the school culture like is it collaborative, how tight-knit are students, how is the admin do they listen to students are they friendly?

3. How do you like living in Durham
1. This is a very common question we get. It’s honestly hard to compare it to any other curriculum bc I just didn’t experience it. So I wouldn’t be able to fairly say that the 1-yr curriculum is more or less stressful than anywhere else. But what I can say is the flexibility it provides us is awesome and I wouldn’t have wanted a longer curriculum to replace that. We can take STEP pretty much anytime after MS1. I know people who take it immediately after MS1, and others who take STEP 1 & 2 back to back after clinicals. It also gives us the entire MS3 yr to explore so many things, research or otherwise. MS1 yr was definitely hard and fast paced. We have exams every 2 weeks. But preclinicals everywhere are hard.

2. Definitely collaborative and very friendly! It’s a relatively small class size and you have SO many small groups that you’ll get to know most everyone pretty well. People are closer during MS1/2 yrs. I definitely felt the distance grow during MS3 yr when everyone is off doing their own things. But that was also during semi restricted COVID times.
The school very much listens to the students and their feedback. There are constant discussions about improvements to be made. Sometimes I feel like the school listens to feedback too much lol, but that’s for other conversations.

3. I come from a bigger city so Durham took some getting used to. It’s a beautiful state with mountains and the beach. And I would say it’s an up and coming city and has seen LOTS of growth in the few years I’ve been here. I can see myself settling down in a place like Durham. So it depends on what your looking for, but it’s no NYC.

1. This is a very common question we get. It’s honestly hard to compare it to any other curriculum bc I just didn’t experience it. So I wouldn’t be able to fairly say that the 1-yr curriculum is more or less stressful than anywhere else. But what I can say is the flexibility it provides us is awesome and I wouldn’t have wanted a longer curriculum to replace that. We can take STEP pretty much anytime after MS1. I know people who take it immediately after MS1, and others who take STEP 1 & 2 back to back after clinicals. It also gives us the entire MS3 yr to explore so many things, research or otherwise. MS1 yr was definitely hard and fast paced. We have exams every 2 weeks. But preclinicals everywhere are hard.

2. Definitely collaborative and very friendly! It’s a relatively small class size and you have SO many small groups that you’ll get to know most everyone pretty well. People are closer during MS1/2 yrs. I definitely felt the distance grow during MS3 yr when everyone is off doing their own things. But that was also during semi restricted COVID times.
The school very much listens to the students and their feedback. There are constant discussions about improvements to be made. Sometimes I feel like the school listens to feedback too much lol, but that’s for other conversations.

3. I come from a bigger city so Durham took some getting used to. It’s a beautiful state with mountains and the beach. And I would say it’s an up and coming city and has seen LOTS of growth in the few years I’ve been here. I can see myself settling down in a place like Durham. So it depends on what your looking for, but it’s no NYC.
Thanks for answering my questions.

Hi everyone! Pre-II R :( Submitted and was complete Aug 16, 2022. Secondary received 07/20th. CASPer 4th Quartile. Application update sent Oct 25 2022 - had some important additions. The amount of time I spent on those 8 grueling essays, not even to receive an email that I had been rejected - pretty low from Duke. Absolutely criminal leaving students in limbo like that LOL

Canadian student from Toronto , 3.98 GPA, 515 MCAT, Strong ECs (in terms of employment and volunteering in my opinion but: three hospices over the past 4 years in Ontario, >60 hours shadowing (Emergency medicine mostly, Surgeries in OR), working over a year in a hospital inpatient surgery as a PA, PT during undergrad). Rock climbing as a hobby for a while, spent a good amount of time on my essays/descriptions focusing on Dr. Grays suggestions (I thought).

As a Canadian rn my American schools cycle is going: 12/16 Pre II Rs, one soft R, 3 still waiting. Got some love from Ontario schools so maybe I am just not meant to go to the US for an MD.

No research though which may have done it but oh well. Congrats to all the candidates who received interviews, and my fellow Rs out there! Goodluck to you all!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! Pre-II R :( Submitted and was complete Aug 16, 2022. Secondary received 07/20th. CASPer 4th Quartile. Application update sent Oct 25 2022 - had some important additions. The amount of time I spent on those 8 grueling essays, not even to receive an email that I had been rejected - pretty low from Duke. Absolutely criminal leaving students in limbo like that LOL

Canadian student from Toronto , 3.98 GPA, 515 MCAT, Strong ECs (in terms of employment and volunteering in my opinion but: three hospices over the past 4 years in Ontario, >60 hours shadowing (Emergency medicine mostly, Surgeries in OR), working over a year in a hospital inpatient surgery as a PA, PT during undergrad). Rock climbing as a hobby for a while, spent a good amount of time on my essays/descriptions focusing on Dr. Grays suggestions (I thought).

As a Canadian rn my American schools cycle is going: 12/16 Pre II Rs, one soft R, 3 still waiting. Got some love from Ontario schools so maybe I am just not meant to go to the US for an MD.

No research though which may have done it but oh well. Congrats to all the candidates who received interviews, and my fellow Rs out there! Goodluck to you all!!!
Canadian medical schools are held in high regard. Regardless of your outcome, I am sure you'll end up where you need to be. Best of luck on your journey. You've got a stellar application.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone gotten a request for a background check?

My girlfriend was accepted to Duke Law and they're giving out money for lodging etc. for second look weekend. Anyone know if the med school does anything similar?

I emailed financial aid and they said to contact them if I haven’t heard back by April 15th, but does anyone know when *typically* people hear back about it?

Hi! I am building a school list and looking for current M3/M4's that can speak a little bit about Duke Medical School!

Specifically, I have the following questions (please feel free to answer as many as you have time for, I know it is a lot!):

1. What is your preclinical grading system, and how long is your preclinical period?
2. How often did you have exams during your preclinical years?
3. Are these exams based more on lecture/in-house or NBME material?
4. What are the attendance expectations (for lecture, PBL, etc)?
5. What happens if you fail an exam (is it marked on your transcript)?
6. What is your clinical grading system?
7. What % of students earn honors per rotation (if applicable)?
8. Who chooses which order your rotations are in (students, lottery, other)?
9. If you could describe the environment during your rotations in one word, what would it be?
10. How much time do you have for electives?
11. Do you have AOA?
12. Are students ranked (openly, internally, or not at all?)

Thanks so much in advance for answering! I appreciate you making time for this

Pre-II R as well, that subject line has me ROLLING lol

• Haha
I received my financial aid package this week and it was very generous. I come from a middle-upper income family so wasn't expecting to be given much, but it really surpassed my expectations. I'm just one person, but maybe take that into account if you are worrying about your aid packages.