2022-2023 Duke

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @newolduser for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Duke Secondary Essay Prompts

Advocacy
Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone who was different from you or for a cause or idea that was different from yours. Define your view of advocacy. What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

Coping with Disappointment
Not achieving a goal or one’s desire can sometimes be disheartening. What have you learned/gained from your setbacks and disappointments and how does this translate to your current way of thinking? (400 words)

Value Systems
Describe a situation in which you had to utilize your values to interact with people from different backgrounds. How did those values impact the relationship? (400 words)

Leadership
Leadership, teamwork, and communication flow synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and as a contributor? What attributes do you possess as a leader and as a team member and how do you apply them on a daily basis? (400 words)

Critical Thinking
Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

Understanding the Need for Health Care Changes
Potential sources of health inequities exist. Duke’s Moments to Movement (M2M) is a collective stand to address these issues. Describe your experience and reflection with race and its relationship to disparities in health, health care and society. Consider the values of justice, diversity, inclusion and equity (400 words)

COVID-19 Implications
How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)

Tell Us Who You Are
Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated. (500 words)

Race/Ethnicity/Geographic Origin/Socioeconomic Status/ Advantage/Disadvantage/ Religious Affiliation
Use the text box below to provide additional information on how these parameters have/will influence you.(Optional, 200 words)

For PCLT (Primary Care Leadership Track) applicants:

Community Engagement

PCLT values community engagement. What is your understanding of community engagement and its value? How does community-engagement impact either research or working in a community to improve health outcomes? (250 words)

Why PCLT
What distinguishes you from other applicants to the PCLT program? (250 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
“Applications will be screened this year without MCAT score and considered for interview”

Does this mean you can still get an interview without an MCAT score or that they won’t be looking at MCAT scores when initially deciding interviews?

@wysdoc

Advocacy
Describe a situation in which you chose to advocate for someone who was different from you or for a cause or idea that was different from yours. Define your view of advocacy. What risks, if any, might be associated with your choice to be an advocate? (400 words)

Coping with Disappointment
Not achieving a goal or one’s desire can sometimes be disheartening. What have you learned/gained from your setbacks and disappointments and how does this translate to your current way of thinking? (400 words)

Value Systems
Describe a situation in which you had to utilize your values to interact with people from different backgrounds. How did those values impact the relationship? (400 words)

Leadership
Leadership, teamwork, and communication flow synergistically. What do you value most as a leader and as a contributor? What attributes do you possess as a leader and as a team member and how do you apply them on a daily basis? (400 words)

Critical Thinking
Critical thinking involves a number of characteristics. Research experience enhances critical analysis skills. Describe any research experience or another situation in which you utilized critical thinking. How will critical thinking be important in your future career? (400 words)

Potential sources of health inequities exist. Duke’s Moments to Movement (M2M) is a collective stand to address these issues. Describe your experience and reflection with race and its relationship to disparities in health, health care and society. Consider the values of justice, diversity, inclusion and equity (400 words)

COVID-19 Implications
How has the COVID-19 pandemic influenced your journey to medical school? Have these events changed your outlook on medicine’s role in society? (400 words)

For PCLT applicants:

Community Engagement
PCLT values community engagement. What is your understanding of community engagement and its value? How does community-engagement impact either research or working in a community to improve health outcomes? (250 words)

Why PCLT
What distinguishes you from other applicants to the PCLT program? (250 words)

“Applications will be screened this year without MCAT score and considered for interview”

Does this mean you can still get an interview without an MCAT score or that they won’t be looking at MCAT scores when initially deciding interviews?
The wording on their website makes it sound like they're just giving you the option to get an interview without an MCAT score so I think it's the former.

+1 OOS received! Learned that "a typical academic profile for matriculating students is an MCAT range from 500-528 and GPA range from 3.0 to 4.0." Would never have guessed

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
There is also two additional essays under "Tell Us Who You Are" that state:
1. Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated.
2. Additional Essay about impact of Race/SES/Ethnicity/Religion/Geographic Origin/Advantage or Disadvantage.

Does anybody have any idea how to approach the first one of these? I'm very confused if its supposed to be a diversity prompt or more of an autobiography?

@wysdoc

1. Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated.
2. Additional Essay about impact of Race/SES/Ethnicity/Religion/Geographic Origin/Advantage or Disadvantage.

Does anybody have any idea how to approach the first one of these? I'm very confused if its supposed to be a diversity prompt or more of an autobiography?

@wysdoc
Hmm, last year the full prompt was "Tell us more about who you are. You may provide additional information that expands your self-identity where gender identification, racial and/or ethnic self description, geographic origin, socioeconomic, academic, and/or other characteristics that define who you are as you contemplate a career that will interface with people who are similar AND dissimilar to you. You will have the opportunity below to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

Because of the wording there, I did interpret it as a diversity essay but not sure if they are looking for something different this year since they've shortened the prompt.

@wysdoc
take it as whatever allows you to say what you would like to say about yourself.

take it as whatever allows you to say what you would like to say about yourself.
It just seems strange to list my hobbies or something, but I guess that is what they want? I think I'll also use it to possibly explain why I am interested in medicine in general.

For those who are applying MSTP only (without secondary consideration for MD), you only have to complete the "Value Systems" essay prompt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if Duke looks at material from previous cycles when reviewing applications? Wondering if I can reuse a few old essays on this god forsaken secondary.

1. Does anybody know if there is a "Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application" prompt this year?
2. Is the "Additional Essay about impact of Race/SES/Ethnicity/Religion/Geographic Origin/Advantage or Disadvantage." optional?

1. Does anybody know if there is a "Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application" prompt this year?
2. Is the "Additional Essay about impact of Race/SES/Ethnicity/Religion/Geographic Origin/Advantage or Disadvantage." optional?

1. Yes, there is a space under Additional Considerations, "Please let us know of any additional information that you would like us to consider while reviewing your application:" without a specific word count
2. Yes this essay is optional

Are these also 400 words each? Also, would anyone mind posting the exact wording of the second prompt? Thanks :)

Are these also 400 words each? Also, would anyone mind posting the exact wording of the second prompt? Thanks :)
First is 500 words, the second is 200 words and the prompt is:

Race/Ethnicity/Geographic Origin/Socioeconomic Status/ Advantage/Disadvantage/ Religious Affiliation
Use the text box below to provide additional information on how these parameters have/will influence you.

+1 OOS received! Learned that "a typical academic profile for matriculating students is an MCAT range from 500-528 and GPA range from 3.0 to 4.0." Would never have guessed
LMAO had the same exact reaction - also, "Historically, because of the highly competitive applicant pool those candidates with MCAT scores under 500 have not been successful in obtaining an interview."

im sorry but i literally do not understand what this is asking:
Value Systems

can anyone translate this for me? I had to utilize my values to interact with diverse populations? This is so vague, do they just mean like tell me your value system and then an experience where you showed this value system? like i dont judge other people and when someone was in the hospital where i volunteer i didnt judge them... maybe this is a very simple question then?

Finally, a secondary where you don't have to manually write out your course info- it's so much better to just select from a drop-down menu.

Reactions: 5 users
im sorry but i literally do not understand what this is asking:
Value Systems

can anyone translate this for me? I had to utilize my values to interact with diverse populations? This is so vague, do they just mean like tell me your value system and then an experience where you showed this value system? like i dont judge other people and when someone was in the hospital where i volunteer i didnt judge them... maybe this is a very simple question then?
If you value honesty, maybe you used your honesty to be up front with a patient and that made them respect you
If you value family, maybe you and a patient bonded over talking about your loved ones
If you value acceptance, maybe you accepted a patient for who they were and they extended the same courtesy to you.

And just try to choose a story that's about working with someone different than you, whether that's in terms of race, SES, gender identity, etc.

Something like this I think would work for the prompt.

First is 500 words, the second is 200 words and the prompt is:

Use the text box below to provide additional information on how these parameters have/will influence you.
Thanks, I adjusted the prompts list in the top post.

God damn this app was a f**cker to complete, but my god that was the prettiest secondary portal Ive ever seen. It actually worked like it should have.

For the COVID prompt, should we talk about how COVID may have affected our path like shutting down of opportunities and other personal experiences? Or should it solely be about how the pandemic influenced you to go to med school? I feel like it didn't have a drastic influence on me as I was already on the path.

Can some one help me translate this questions:

Don't really understand what it's asking for.

Thanks.

Can some one help me translate this questions:

Don't really understand what it's asking for.

Thanks.
I talk about my community's experience with accessing care (Mexican Immigrant(s))

For the COVID prompt, should we talk about how COVID may have affected our path like shutting down of opportunities and other personal experiences? Or should it solely be about how the pandemic influenced you to go to med school? I feel like it didn't have a drastic influence on me as I was already on the path.
Any thoughts ?

"Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

Is this meant to be a biography style essay? Similar to the Vanderbilt one?

Did anyone else get two secondary invites? For whatever reason, I got one last Wednesday and another today. Same activation code.

"Tell us more about who you are. This is your opportunity to tell us how you wish to be addressed, recognized and treated."

Is this meant to be a biography style essay? Similar to the Vanderbilt one?
I was wondering the same. I'm hoping that's what they mean because I'm not really understanding what else one would write for that.

I was wondering the same. I'm hoping that's what they mean because I'm not really understanding what else one would write for that.
Duke has changed up their questions quite a bit from last year (but their secondary is still one of the longest!)
If you want to see how they worded this question with more detail last year, look here: #1
Maybe they wanted to leave it more open to your interpretation this time by leaving it general.

Duke has changed up their questions quite a bit from last year (but their secondary is still one of the longest!)
If you want to see how they worded this question with more detail last year, look here: #1
Maybe they wanted to leave it more open to your interpretation this time by leaving it general.
Thank you so much! Reading that other prompt is a very helpful way of thinking about it.

Does anyone know if the prompt "Race/Ethnicity/Geographic Origin/Socioeconomic Status/ Advantage/Disadvantage/ Religious Affiliation
Use the text box below to provide additional information on how these parameters have/will influence you.(Optional, 200 words)" is the equivalent of a disadvantage essay? I am asking because it includes the word "advantage" too, which I find a little confusing. Thanks!

Does anyone know if the prompt "Race/Ethnicity/Geographic Origin/Socioeconomic Status/ Advantage/Disadvantage/ Religious Affiliation
Use the text box below to provide additional information on how these parameters have/will influence you.(Optional, 200 words)" is the equivalent of a disadvantage essay? I am asking because it includes the word "advantage" too, which I find a little confusing. Thanks!
I can see where a person could consider some of those categories an advantage.You don't have to include every one of those options, just focus on one or two. Or don't write this one at all; it's optional.

Any admitted PCLT students? I am wondering if this program is more difficult to get into because of the small class size, the website seems to show about 8-10 students per classn but maybe there are less applicants? Is it better to apply now or after first year if admitted? The website says that it is possible to apply during M1. Also, is this program binding? Any other details/experiences also greatly appreciated!

Is everyone addressing risk directly in the advocacy essay? I'm focusing on my clinical experience working with the intellectually and developmentally disabled community and I genuinely don't see any risk in advocating for this population to receive proper supports, but it feels weird to slip that into the essay. Advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Is everyone addressing risk directly in the advocacy essay? I'm focusing on my clinical experience working with the intellectually and developmentally disabled community and I genuinely don't see any risk in advocating for this population to receive proper supports, but it feels weird to slip that into the essay. Advice is appreciated!
I don't think you would need to in this case.

Can someone share what the word limit is for the "further information" section? I'm referring to the very last part of the secondary app. Thanks!

Can I just ask what more a person could possibly have to write after that long secondary?? Kidding/not kidding

I go back and forth every day on whether I will fill this one out. I know I will, but I continue to push it down in the queue as I pre-write secondaries lol!

Last edited:
hahaha I was thinking about adding my pre-written for a question from last year's secondary. glad to lyk I did not

Can I just ask what more a person could possibly have to write after that long secondary?? Kidding/not kidding

I honestly did a “Why Duke” essay as it was quite literally the only topic I didn’t already extensively write about

Reactions: 2 users
Does duke med school use rolling admissions? I know Harvard isn't rolling so I am doing my Harvard secondary at the end. Should I do same for duke?
I don't think Duke does rolling admissions. I think if you submit before late August or even mid-September, you should still be okay. But my best bet is always by mid to late August.