2022-2023 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences (USUHS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks so much for sharing both stories! Did they tell you your app was put on "re-review" status? The waiting is definitely getting to me, and hearing about your timeline helped for sure. I'm not entirely sure how they move through the apps so trying to get a better understanding of it.
One thing I'll say is please don't get too stressed about not hearing something right now. Basically getting an interview this early in cycle takes partially being an exceptional candidate by their standards but also a lot of luck and most fantastic applicants will get their invites in later fall as well like October and November. I went through this last year lol and I got my interview from here in December (and I fully expect that if you really care about this school the way you do, and you have grades in their realm of acceptable, you will be hearing from them soon:) ).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
II just now!! I was told weeks ago that I was rejected for meds but I kept persisting and emailing, don't give up y'all!! I've been crying for 10 minutes haha

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you recently passed the MEPS physical for HPSP, would you still need to get a separate physical for USUHS?
not sure if anyone answered this already but I just saw this in their email: "MEPS physicals used for HPSP are not accepted"

Thanks so much for sharing both stories! Did they tell you your app was put on "re-review" status? The waiting is definitely getting to me, and hearing about your timeline helped for sure. I'm not entirely sure how they move through the apps so trying to get a better understanding of it.
Yes! So I reached out to Capt Liotta for an update in September and he told me that my application has been reviewed and that I was on hold. Everyone in admissions is great about answering questions and being as transparent as they can when you reach out

Last edited:
II just now. Complete 7/26. LM 80. So much paperwork ahead lol. I will be abroad for the gap year and might need to fly back for my physical 😭 but super excited the dream is one step closer. One of my top choices!

Reactions: 1 user
II! Complete 6/30. LM 72. Received the email about my application being complete in the 2nd week of August.

My interview week is just “XXXXXXXX”

Anyone else have this issue. I’m stressseeddddd

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! So I reached out to Calt Liotta for an update in September and he told me that my application has been reviewed and that I was on hold. Everyone in admissions is great about answering questions and being as transparent as they can when you reach out
Hey, I am aware that the email that they sent a while back stating that my application is in review mentioned how they did not want us to reach out for an update until December. Do you suggest I wait or go ahead and ask for an update as you did? Thanks

Also a warning to those who are paranoid about waiting too long for medical schools to respond to you, this school really embraces waiting and everything takes much longer than you think it should. So if you don't hear back for too long there is a high chance that they will get to you but you just need to be a little extra patient than you thought was necessary.

Might as well get used to having to “hurry up and wait”

im still confused about what 'complete' means. is that the day of completion of the secondary or when they email you that youre complete and advancing to the review process?

im still confused about what 'complete' means. is that the day of completion of the secondary or when they email you that youre complete and advancing to the review process?
Generally when people say their "complete date" , they're talking about the latter

yeah usually a complete email will say you are "under review"... "people are in line before you" etc.

Has anyone received a secondary yet?
My daughter did yesterday. My question is how flexible is the medical waiver board when the school wants a high caliber candidate (yeah...I'm clearly partial)? By the letter of BuMED instruction all things are waiver-able potentially, but my life in the Navy tells it differently. I know my daughters is likely facing an initial DQ, but I told her to march forward anyway through the entire process....make THEM say no. Just don't say no to yourself. Looks like a tremendous program, especially for those seeking a career medical path in the military. Go luck to all & keep pushing....

re/

Sierra Sailor

Last edited:
My daughter did yesterday. My question is how flexible is the medical waiver board when the school wants a high caliber candidate (yeah...I'm clearly partial)? By the letter of BuMED instruction all things are waiver-able potentially, but my life in the Navy tells it differently. I know my daughters is likely facing an initial DQ, but I told her to march forward anyway through the entire process....make THEM say no. Just don't say no to yourself. Looks like a tremendous program, especially for those seeking a career medical path in the military. Go luck to all & keep pushing....

re/

Sierra Sailor
I am not prior service so I really can't say for sure if you know of better examples. What I do know, is that this school takes the DoDmerb stuff fairly serious. Even really high caliber candidates with 515+ scores and high GPAs will eventually have to face a DQ if they don't meet a requirement and the school really has no role in bending the rules (and they won't try). A lot of conditions are waivable if meds are not fully needed. For example, you might have a psych diagnosis but without prescriptions you can usually get away with it. With certain check ups, the majority of the large number of standards can be bent but it really depends on what condition your daughter has. If she is a high caliber candidate, I have heard that going the HPSP route can be slightly more lenient (I am not expert on this). The other option, if she is really good but wants a career in the military, is to go through all the training and then enlist. USUHS of all paths to military medicine will usually be the toughest on meeting the military requirements because not only are you under active duty commission but the purpose of this program is to train people with the vision to become long term military physicians. So if the intention is leave debt free, maybe there are other options available. Also, applying never hurt anybody and I think that your daughter, like anyone else, should try and see what happens. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
The other option, if she is really good but wants a career in the military, is to go through all the training and then enlist.
The only part of this paragraph I disagree with. The DQ's for USUHS and enlisting are the same, but for someone who just wants a career in the military, PLEASE don't enlist if you have a degree. Unless you want a 19/20 year old straight out of high school to be your boss, the least you need to do is commission lol

The only part of this paragraph I disagree with. The DQ's for USUHS and enlisting are the same, but for someone who just wants a career in the military, PLEASE don't enlist if you have a degree. Unless you want a 19/20 year old straight out of high school to be your boss, the least you need to do is commission lol
Sorry I guess that is what I meant lol, but yeah there is no going around the health standards, that stuff is necessary to get your unconditional acceptance

Has anyone currently on active duty heard anything back yet? App was complete and under review 15AUG and my conditional release was received 1SEP.

Has anyone currently on active duty heard anything back yet? App was complete and under review 15AUG and my conditional release was received 1SEP.
It’s pretty early so far, I believe they’ve only just recently began sending out II. I was complete around the same time as you and I haven’t heard anything yet. For your release do you just have the signed off letter or did you send it to your admissions advisor at usu? I have my LOA signed off but haven’t done anything with it so far.

It’s pretty early so far, I believe they’ve only just recently began sending out II. I was complete around the same time as you and I haven’t heard anything yet. For your release do you just have the signed off letter or did you send it to your admissions advisor at usu? I have my LOA signed off but haven’t done anything with it so far.
I'm an active Army O, USUHS requires the LOA be sent directly from human resources command. If you have any questions about the LOA for the Army DM me, the instructions/examples on the schools website weren't super clear about the process. It initially looked like the first O5 in my chain of command needed to sign it, but they actually want my branch chief to sign the memo.

Does it still hold that it takes around 4-6 weeks to receive a response on your application after you receive the complete email? Truly the only school I want to go to, so this wait is doubly painful (don't tell the other schools).

I think I got the II at 5:00 pm today. They didn't give me a day or anything yet though. Do they give you that after you fill out the interview form?

I think I got the II at 5:00 pm today. They didn't give me a day or anything yet though. Do they give you that after you fill out the interview form?
Congratulations. Can u share your stats? Do u have connections to Armed forces

Just received one as well. There is a second email that gives you the week.

Does anyone know if there is mandatory P.T. every morning at this school or is it something you can do on your own?

on your own.
Depends on branch. Definitely not everyday but army does group PT like once a week~ish, navy did group PT 2x a week during orientation and theoretically might have it occasionally through the year but haven’t yet, I’ve never seen Air Force PT but they played flag football one morning lol

• Haha
Im not saying I will get one just saying I haven’t heard anything yet but ok
Yeah, I am not saying you will either. But radio silence is usually how it goes for this school and then suddenly everything changes. When I applied last year, I did not hear anything until mid to late December after being complete by July. But those who were rejected did not get anything till January or February

Depends on branch. Definitely not everyday but army does group PT like once a week~ish, navy did group PT 2x a week during orientation and theoretically might have it occasionally through the year but haven’t yet, I’ve never seen Air Force PT but they played flag football one morning lol
Hi, I am a replicant. I was interviewed last year and was waitlisted initially just like you but ended up not getting accepted off the waitlist. I had a chance to speak with the director of admissions Ms. Stearman, and actually went on a tour of the school with her in Bethesda. I am considering writing an email to her regarding my status just like you did last year. When I asked for application feed back she said that nothing really stood out but I should apply early (which I did), but I understand that waiting is also part of the military and I do not want to seem neurotic. Some advice would be really helpful!

Hi, I am a replicant. I was interviewed last year and was waitlisted initially just like you but ended up not getting accepted off the waitlist. I had a chance to speak with the director of admissions Ms. Stearman, and actually went on a tour of the school with her in Bethesda. I am considering writing an email to her regarding my status just like you did last year. When I asked for application feed back she said that nothing really stood out but I should apply early (which I did), but I understand that waiting is also part of the military and I do not want to seem neurotic. Some advice would be really helpful!

Are you a Blade Runner fan?!

Also went on a post II tour of USUHS recently. I know there’s got to be people like me who are/were on the fence about applying to a military medical school as a civilian for a wide range of reasons. PM me if anyone would be interested in my thoughts on irl vibes, school/curriculum presentations, and facilities compared to other med schools.

Edit for posterity: A received 10/17 -> App withdrawn 12/27

Last edited:
We’re at bushmaster but I’ll PM you within the next day or so! If they’re saying your app does t stand out the big thing is to make sure you’re essays have improved (you’ve probably already submitted these), you have super strong Rec letters (this really helped me. I submitted an additional letter for after I got waitlisted), and he persistent. Even if you’re a lukewarm applicant if you make them believe that you are all in on being a military physician, then the odds are in your favor for getting accepted

I recently shadowed a physician who served in the navy for many years and after hearing about his experience, I began to consider serving as a medical professional myself. I spoke to a few other family members who have served (non-medical) and am very interested in USUHS. I completed all my other secondaries for other schools very early, but my experiences in the past few months have made me want to apply to USUHS. Do you think it is too late for me? Stats (in case that makes any difference): 3.85/513
Their secondary application is free so I would apply if I were you! There's no harm really!

I interviewed this week and had a great experience. However, I noticed on the post-interview email they said fall classes would lengthen the time frame for a decision. I'm a senior right now and my fall semester ends late December and grades early January. Would they not consider me until January?

I interviewed this week and had a great experience. However, I noticed on the post-interview email they said fall classes would lengthen the time frame for a decision. I'm a senior right now and my fall semester ends late December and grades early January. Would they not consider me until January?
Wondering this same thing, I hope not.