2022-2023 CA University of Science and Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi new applicants! I am a current M2 and a Student Ambassador here at CUSM, so if later in the cycle you're invited to an interview it's possible you'll see me during the interview day. The application process is long and stressful as I'm sure you all know, so if I can help with any of your questions or concerns please feel free to tag me or send me a dm! Best of luck to you all during this new application cycle you guys got this!
Thank you. I do have a question - it's more of a question for all medical schools in general.
Is it true med schools don't invite students with much higher stats to interviews for yield protection? like, if my scores are like 99th percentile?

Members don't see this ad.

is anyone having trouble with the integrity question? I am honestly not sure what to write for this. Been stuck on it for some time

Thank you. I do have a question - it's more of a question for all medical schools in general.
Is it true med schools don't invite students with much higher stats to interviews for yield protection? like, if my scores are like 99th percentile?
This is tough to answer and tbh I'm not sure if there's any definitive way to prove that yield protection happens unless you hear it directly from someone on an admissions committee (which won't happen). I think if you're 99th in stats for mcat and gpa and the rest of your app is really good then yeah you may not want to apply to some of the newer or less competitive MD/DO schools because they'll probably think you don't see them as a serious option. If you think yield protection has happened to you in the past then I'd reach out to that specific school and ask if they can give you any insights as to why you weren't accepted or offered an interview. From there you can take the appropriate steps to make sure you're a better fit and hopefully it'll work out in your favor.

But basically to answer your question I'd say yes it can happen (ngl I'm pretty sure it's happened to me a couple times) but rather than chalking it up to yield protection I'd try asking myself what could I have done to make myself a better fit for that particular school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II received 8/26/22 IS

However, I am unsure of how to schedule an interview. It says to use the applicant gateway portal, but nothing is appearing. Is anyone else having the same problem?

II received 8/26/22 IS

However, I am unsure of how to schedule an interview. It says to use the applicant gateway portal, but nothing is appearing. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Same issue as you! I just received an II as well.

Edit: Issue has been fixed! :)

Last edited:
Congrats! when is your completion date? Is there any status update in Portal ?
I was complete 8/2. I’m able to schedule my interview now!
IS, LM 71, WARS 76, ORM

Reactions: 1 users
II today, Completed on 08/23. IS, MCAT 515+, ORM.

Last edited:
My first II received today!! submitted 08/09/22
MCAT: 513
GPA: 3.68
ORM

The first available dates are 10/28 and 11/04. They will send you another email with the interview scheduling link attached.

Members don't see this ad :)
II! No place in the portal to schedule an interview though

II received today. Submitted 8/18. Also waiting for the portal to update to schedule. Nothing yet.

I had to wait for a second email from CUSM Admissions to schedule my interview, it came ~30 minutes after initial interview email

I had to wait for a second email from CUSM Admissions to schedule my interview, it came ~30 minutes after initial interview email
Yup. My 2nd email took about 2 hours, but after it came, I could schedule. Good luck, everyone!

I received the two emails for interview invite last Friday and had scheduled a 10/14 2:30 interview, then today I got the same two invite emails AGAIN and then an email stating my interview will take place between 10am-3pm? I had the impression the 5 hour long session would start at 2:30pm. Just super confused because Im scheduled to work that morning so this throws everything off

didnt even get a secondary from CUSM but people getting IIs. C'est la vie.... time to be a bone wizard

Reactions: 4 users
Hey friends, I've been lucky enough to receive a II from CUSM on Monday evening 8/29. The only date it gave me was early December, which seemed late. Is that normal for this early in the cycle?

Late post, but I received an II from CUSM on 8/26. Scheduled my interview for 10/14. Complete on 8/9.

Secondary received 8/1, but submitted only on 8/22/22. Was there a deadline to submit secondary application?

Accepted the interview on the portal but did not get an email confirmation. Should I email them or is that too neurotic?

Late post, I was complete 8/16 and received II on 8/18. LM 70, WARS 75, IE resident for 1 year. At that time the earliest interview day was 10/14.

I scheduled my interview and did not get an email confirmation either, but the application portal indicates that I'm scheduled. I honestly wouldn't worry about it @AGmetaknight

Congrats! Did you receive any completion email and what was the Portal status before send II??
Yes, I got a confirmation email after I submitted secondary & honestly not sure what portal status was!

Question about completion date for CUSM. I got an email saying thanks for submitting secondary and that my app was under review by committee now. Is this basically saying my application is complete?

Yep once you submit your secondary your application is complete!

A little late, but II received on 09/13, only interview dates available were in december

The deadline is in December! I personally would turn it in just bc if you don't then your chances are for sure zero.
adding on to this, this was one of the secondaries I totally procrastinated on and ended up not submitting, and I received a call from CUSM last week asking if I still intended to submit and that if I got a secondary, they liked me (?) so I am also scrambling to finish this one lol

Submitted 8/3 but haven't heard anything yet :(. Does anyone know if they take application updates?

Submitted 8/3 but haven't heard anything yet :(. Does anyone know if they take application updates?
I'm not sure if they're policy has changed since I applied two years ago, but if it hasn't then they don't take updates. They also unfortunately don't take letters of intent. My workaround when I was applying was to send additional LORs through my AMCAS portal later on in the application cycle. Not sure if it made a significant difference but it's the only updates to your app they'll accept.

II just now! crazy how I submitted the secondary 6 days ago... turn around time is immaculate omg
IS ORM LizzyM 66 ... current earliest available dates were 1/20 and 1/27

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
does anyone know if the stats on msar about how many oos people were interviewed/matriculated are accurate? lol