2022-2023 Buffalo (Jacobs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh do they start giving out financial aid that early? I just assumed it’d be Mar/Apr when we’d hear back on that end.
I thought so too but I was offered a scholarship about an hour after my acceptance email!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A via email!
Hey fellow accepted student, any mention of scholarships or accepted student groups in your email? I recall past years having these, but my email did not. I just had the acknowledgment form and some info in paying the deposit

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted today :/ was my only II and it came in July.
Anyone know the likelihood of coming off of it?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted today :/ was my only II and it came in July.
Anyone know the likelihood of coming off of it?
High likelihood. Historically, the majority of Buffalo’s matriculated students came off the waitlist.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I made one, just don’t know who people really are to invite them
Can people DM you for the link so it doesn't spread around too much (as that would just defeat its purpose)? Assuming you check SDN a few times a week

Polity, the student government, will eventually make an official Facebook and/or GroupMe, but in the meantime, I made some unofficial ones. If you are accepted, DM me and I will give you the link

Reactions: 2 users
RIP I just realized I forgot to let them know I got the FAP fee waiver after I submitted the secondary, so my application was never completed. :')

Is there even a chance at this point?

For interviews, does anyone know how much flexibility they have for requests? I don't know if I'd be able to take time off from work so I'd prefer if the interview was later in the day.

For interviews, does anyone know how much flexibility they have for requests? I don't know if I'd be able to take time off from work so I'd prefer if the interview was later in the day.
I needed a similar accommodation, and they were able to do it. Let them know several weeks in advance!

I think you should let them know ahead of the interview details. I told them I couldn’t do a day without an explanation (had another interview) and they said it would be easy to accommodate.

Does anyone know when we can start applying for dorms? Or what the standard procedure/timeline is?

Does anyone know when we can start applying for dorms? Or what the standard procedure/timeline is?
I don’t believe Buffalo has dorms. From what the current students said, rent a house near campus and split it with other students.

Does anybody know historically if early waitlists have a greater chance of being accepted? Disappointed I wasn’t accepted off the bat but holding out hope for good news eventually

Wait list movement is decent here. They wait list around 200-250 people. They used to tier the wait list into thirds and let you know which third (1st, 2nd, or dreaded 3rd) you were in. Typically they would make it into the bottom of the 2nd tier by the start of the year. However there are more applicants every year. It is probably safe to assume about half of those wait-listed will be accepted.
(I'm a current 3rd year)
In terms of waitlists, this is from the 2016 thread. I imagine not a lot has changed. I also saw that they try to fill as much of the class as possible before the end of December, so it makes sense that if you are on the waitlist early, you have a better chance of eventually getting the A. But who knows, this is 6-7 years old and they might not even be doing the same as last year… it is all a mystery.

Got the A this morning around 8am!!!! Interviewed last Monday dang what a quick turn around

Reactions: 5 users
I don’t believe Buffalo has dorms. From what the current students said, rent a house near campus and split it with other students.
I emailed UB housing and asked if medical students are eligible for on-campus housing. They replied:

If you are starting at UB for spring semester, our housing application is open until December 1st. https://www.buffalo.edu/campusliving/apply-for-housing.html.

If you are not starting until fall 23, that housing application opens in late January/Early February. It will be posted on our “important dates” web page once finalized https://www.buffalo.edu/campusliving/apply-for-housing/important-dates.html.

I emailed UB housing and asked if medical students are eligible for on-campus housing. They replied:

If you are starting at UB for spring semester, our housing application is open until December 1st. https://www.buffalo.edu/campusliving/apply-for-housing.html.

If you are not starting until fall 23, that housing application opens in late January/Early February. It will be posted on our “important dates” web page once finalized https://www.buffalo.edu/campusliving/apply-for-housing/important-dates.html.
i think UB campus is like a good 20 minute drive from campus just so you know!

This is for the undergraduate school. Medical school only start in the fall and is downtown. As someone already said, it is about a 20 -minute drive, and even longer, like >1 hr if you take public transportation. UB has their own bus service that goes between the different campus, but I’m not sure if it goes to the medical school, and if it does, it might be kind of sporadic. Were you accepted? If so, PM me and I’ll put you on our group chat. No one is taking about it yet, in fact no one is talking about much yet, but eventually other people will be looking for housing/roommates too and you will be able to find better info then.

This is for the undergraduate school. Medical school only start in the fall and is downtown. As someone already said, it is about a 20 -minute drive, and even longer, like >1 hr if you take public transportation. UB has their own bus service that goes between the different campus, but I’m not sure if it goes to the medical school, and if it does, it might be kind of sporadic. Were you accepted? If so, PM me and I’ll put you on our group chat. No one is taking about it yet, in fact no one is talking about much yet, but eventually other people will be looking for housing/roommates too and you will be able to find better info then.
I see, the travel time is unfortunate. I'll definitely message the group and hopefully there's better alternatives soon.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Hey, I'm a current medical student at UB. Most of my classmates live right next to the school. People who live closer to the other campuses/farther away from the school generally live with family. There should be a shuttle between South campus (aka where the dental school is) and the medical school but I'm not personally aware of anyone who actually uses it.
Regarding the waitlist, a lot of people get accepted in May. Some before that but several people I know got the A in May. (but N=5) There isn't much of a difference between early vs late interviews in regard to getting off the waitlist.
Feel free to ask me questions. I'll try to answer them if I can.

Hey, I'm a current medical student at UB. Most of my classmates live right next to the school. People who live closer to the other campuses/farther away from the school generally live with family. There should be a shuttle between South campus (aka where the dental school is) and the medical school but I'm not personally aware of anyone who actually uses it.
Regarding the waitlist, a lot of people get accepted in May. Some before that but several people I know got the A in May. (but N=5) There isn't much of a difference between early vs late interviews in regard to getting off the waitlist.
Do you feel like it is a safe place to live around the school?

Do you feel like it is a safe place to live around the school?
It depends on where you live. Allentown, elmwood is pretty safe in my opinion but there are some areas in Buffalo that are unsafe and students don't generally live there. I was told that the rule is that if you see streets with fruit names (grape, lemon, orange, etc), you should avoid them. Try to stick to apartments west of main street.

Unrelated, but do you understand how the P/F works? The students that gave us the tour told us it is P/F for preclinical, but they still keep quintile rankings. So is it not really P/F or are the quintiles for M3 grades/scores/etc?

Unrelated, but do you understand how the P/F works? The students that gave us the tour told us it is P/F for preclinical, but they still keep quintile rankings. So is it not really P/F or are the quintiles for M3 grades/scores/etc?
On actual tests, you get a number score but at the end of the semester, you get a P/F score. On most tests, you can see the class average so you can somewhat see where you are standing. At the end of 2nd year, you get a quintile score on how you rank overall with the rest of your class. This score is supposed to be in your letters for residency.
So to some degree, it isn't true pass-fail but it really does help relieve the stress of medical school when you don't have to worry about the number as much.

A this morning 😭😭😭

lmao so ummmm is it safe to say I won't be getting an II? Is it worth sending an update?
I think it’s far from over. I was looking over the thread from last year and it seemed like the most activity was in the Spring

Hey all, current student here. Just wanted to bop in and say congrats to those who were already accepted or received II, and to those who haven't -- don't give up hope yet! Personally I didn't interview until February during my cycle. There's still plenty of time!

Happy to answer any questions you may have about JSMBS or Buffalo :) Send me a DM or reply to this thread if you think it's a question others may have.

Best of luck!

Anyone get a decision recently?

Last edited: