2022-2023 Buffalo (Jacobs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone who sent the interview confirmation email; are they supposed to get back to you? Don't want to accidentally go over the 48 hours if I did something off

For anyone who sent the interview confirmation email; are they supposed to get back to you? Don't want to accidentally go over the 48 hours if I did something off
I didn't get the confirmation either. I believe last year year people didn't get confirmation until after 48 hours too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally missed the 48 hours (face palm) do I still have a chance?

I totally missed the 48 hours (face palm) do I still have a chance?
I’d send it and show up for your appointment. I doubt a couple minutes on a weekend is going to make a difference

I’d send it and show up for your appointment. I doubt a couple minutes on a weekend is going to make a difference
Few minutes try 2 days because I read the email wrong 🙃

Few minutes try 2 days because I read the email wrong 🙃
In that case, you should probably start thinking about pharmacy school, or maybe even dentistry. How do you feel about being a lawyer? 😂

Kidding, you’ll probably be okay. Just take breath and send your reply

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the post-interview acceptance rate is? I can't seem to find that sheet with all of the schools anymore.

Just got an IS II :)

Does anyone know what the post-interview acceptance rate is? I can't seem to find that sheet with all of the schools anymore.

Just got an IS II :)
I think purplepea is accurate in the estimate. Once you confirm your interview they will send you a prep booklet (online) that has more stats in it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know the LoR maximum? On the website it says they require 3 but not sure if that's the min or the max

anyone know the LoR maximum? On the website it says they require 3 but not sure if that's the min or the max
3 is not the max. If there is a max, it is probably 7 (that’s the max for UB’s undergrad prehealth committee).

Weird question I'm hoping someone around here has experience with. I'm originally from NY (grew up here, graduated high school) but moved away for college and grad school. I've been away for about eight years. I recently moved back for family reasons and did my license/address change a few days after I submitted my secondary. Is this something to update the school on since this now makes me a NYS resident (for tuition purposes at least)?

Weird question I'm hoping someone around here has experience with. I'm originally from NY (grew up here, graduated high school) but moved away for college and grad school. I've been away for about eight years. I recently moved back for family reasons and did my license/address change a few days after I submitted my secondary. Is this something to update the school on since this now makes me a NYS resident (for tuition purposes at least)?
You might want to look into this a little more. SUNY’s website says this:

students are generally considered New York State residents if they have established their domicile in New York State for at least twelve months prior to the last day of the registration period of a particular term.

So, if you don’t qualify this term, you would next term, but I think with medical schools, if you don’t qualify when you start, you don’t qualify for the whole time. I’m not positive on this, so I would definitely call the school’s admission people and ask. They are very nice and helpful, and if SUNY policy applies, waiting till next cycle to apply could save you around a hundred grand over four years.

For anyone who interviewed already, how was it?
My interviews were very conversational. Everyone was so friendly, faculty and students included. Lunch was great. Even students who weren't a part of the interview day were wishing us all good luck and very encouraging as they walked past us. Student body seems very collaborative and happy. The school is also very beautiful, facilities are really top notch.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My interviews were very conversational. Everyone was so friendly, faculty and students included. Lunch was great. Even students who weren't a part of the interview day were wishing us all good luck and very encouraging as they walked past us. Student body seems very collaborative and happy. The school is also very beautiful, facilities are really top notch.
Did they ask more personal questions or did they dig deep into your application?

Did they ask more personal questions or did they dig deep into your application?
This isn't the first time this has happened to me, but my student interviews almost always tend to be more about my app and the specific clinical experiences I've had and how that has shaped my medical interests, and my faculty ones more often feel like I'm catching up with an old friend. lol

Just had both of my virtual interviews early this morning! Fantastic vibes from my faculty and student interviewer! All the questions seemed conversational and they really moved UB up my list of places. One of my interviewers also mentioned that the school might be revamping its curriculum for the new p/f step 1 era, but I couldn't find any details online about this.

The faculty interviewer also mentioned he sits on a lot of adcom meetings and the adcoms try their best to send decisions as quickly as possible. He guaranteed that I would have a decision very close to Oct 15th. Now, the real waiting game begins!

Last edited:
Just had both of my virtual interviews early this morning! Fantastic vibes from my faculty and student interviewer! All the questions seemed conversational and they really moved UB up my list of places. One of my interviewers also mentioned that the school might be revamping its curriculum for the new p/f step 1 era, but I couldn't find any details online about this.

The faculty interviewer also mentioned he sits on a lot of adcom meetings and the adcoms try their best to send decisions as quickly as possible. He guaranteed that I would have a decision very close to Oct 15th. Now, I real waiting game begins!
I forgot they had virtual too. Great they have that option :). I'm sure you did great

The faculty interviewer also mentioned he sits on a lot of adcom meetings and the adcoms try their best to send decisions as quickly as possible. He guaranteed that I would have a decision very close to Oct 15th. Now, I real waiting game begins!
Mine was great too! Such friendly staff and students. I was very impressed with the school!

Were you required to wear a mask the entire time or were you allowed to take it off during the interviews?

The faculty interviewer also mentioned he sits on a lot of adcom meetings and the adcoms try their best to send decisions as quickly as possible. He guaranteed that I would have a decision very close to Oct 15th. Now, the real waiting game begins!
Do you think it actually makes a difference if you choose virtual vs. in person if you're IS? I don't think it should given that Covid is still an issue but I'm hearing otherwise from some more traditional/old school folks.

For those who interviewed, were you able to choose the day/time of your interview?

For those who interviewed, were you able to choose the day/time of your interview?
For virtual no. They told me to be available from 8am-8pm for the week. They let you know the Tuesday of that week and interviews started Thursday. I believe in person is one set day as well that they tell you in the interview invite email.

• Wow
For virtual no. They told me to be available from 8am-8pm for the week. They let you know the Tuesday of that week and interviews started Thursday. I believe in person is one set day as well that they tell you in the interview invite email.
Ahhh thanks so much for the heads up. That's what I was worried about since I have a full-time job.

In-person are always on Wednesdays, so you could at least plan on a Wednesday off if you make it in-person

Ahhh thanks so much for the heads up. That's what I was worried about since I have a full-time job.
I know what you mean :/ I just sent an email asking if I could get a more specific date or range, because theres no way I can use 7 days of PTO for maybee 2 interview days

I was very bored waiting for a lab to start, so I stalked some of the people on this thread who had interviews already (I limited the stalking purely to SDN, so don’t get too creeped out), and I see lots of other interviews at some really good schools, I think I saw a Yale, maybe a Harvard… so, the point is, how many of you would go to UB if given multiple As?

I was very bored waiting for a lab to start, so I stalked some of the people on this thread who had interviews already (I limited the stalking purely to SDN, so don’t get too creeped out), and I see lots of other interviews at some really good schools, I think I saw a Yale, maybe a Harvard… so, the point is, how many of you would go to UB if given multiple As?
I think UB is second/third of my interviews of the places I’m realistically hoping to get into. So if UB offers solid scholarship, I would take it in a heartbeat over my current favorite realistic option.

I think UB is second/third of my interviews of the places I’m realistically hoping to get into. So if UB offers solid scholarship, I would take it in a heartbeat over my current favorite realistic option.
Fair

For me UB was my first interview received and I don’t have too many other options at this point but regardless it’s definitely one of the best schools I applied to for me personally, in terms of fit. The schools you’re right for and those that are right for you really do find you throughout this process, even when you expect or hope for something totally different (like a school you ~think~ is best for you) 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Care
For me UB was my first interview received and I don’t have too many other options at this point but regardless it’s definitely one of the best schools I applied to for me personally, in terms of fit. The schools you’re right for and those that are right for you really do find you throughout this process, even when you expect or hope for something totally different (like a school you ~think~ is best for you) 🤷🏻‍♀️
Finally made an account here after months of lurking, just because I needed to say how much I appreciated that second sentence. I really feel like that is the truth, and couldn't have phrased it any better. Thanks for the wisdom/comfort and best of luck. I hope UB sees you as a good fit too! We will all find the right school and the right school will find us, in time. Let's just keep doing well in the things under our control now, and trust that the rest will work out for the best as well.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Finally made an account here after months of lurking, just because I needed to say how much I appreciated that second sentence. I really feel like that is the truth, and couldn't have phrased it any better. Thanks for the wisdom/comfort and best of luck. I hope UB sees you as a good fit too! We will all find the right school and the right school will find us, in time. Let's just keep doing well in the things under our control now, and trust that the rest will work out for the best as well.
Welcome to SDN, Severus

• Haha
I'm happy you made an account, because you just shared some great wisdom and positivity and made SDN better for it. Best of luck to you this cycle! :)

• Care
Much love!!! <3
We will end up where is good for us, med school or not.

• Care