2021-2022 Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does having a family member connected with UIC significantly help with OOS admissions? I'm deciding whether or not to apply..the more I read, the more I like this school tbh
Not sure how much it impacts their decision, but the secondary does ask legacy questions including if you have a relative affiliated with the U of I system.

Members don't see this ad.

II! OOS with no ties to Illinois. 4th quartile Casper. I believe some schools look beyond stats and this is one of those schools

I just want to say I think this is a medical school that looks fondly at applicants who reinvent themselves. I'm a non-traditional career changer that's been working hard to improve my app these past couple of years. I'm extremely thankful for this interview and wish you guys the best!

Complete date is 8/11. I did not submit my ACT and SAT score because I would have had to pay extra to receive them because my scores are to old too access online. Haha. Also it could have taken out to a month to receive them!! I completed Duet, Snapshot and Casper.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
II! OOS with no ties to Illinois. 4th quartile Casper. I believe some schools look beyond stats and this is one of those schools

I just want to say I think this is a medical school that looks fondly at applicants who reinvent themselves. I'm a non-traditional career changer that's been working hard to improve my app these past couple of years. I'm extremely thankful for this interview and wish you guys the best!

Complete date is 8/11. I did not submit my ACT and SAT score because I would have had to pay extra to receive them because my scores are to old to access online. Also it could have taken out to a month to receive them!! I completed Duet, Snapshot and Casper.
congrats! Did u just get it?

Members don't see this ad :)

Complete date is 8/11. I did not submit my ACT and SAT score because I would have had to pay extra to receive them because my scores are to old too access online. Haha. Also it could have taken out to a month to receive them!! I completed Duet, Snapshot and Casper.
Similar story to you, but IS and alum of the U of I system and couldn’t agree more about their philosophy! Wishing you the best!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone interviewed yet? I was wondering how intense the MMI questions were and what resources you possibly used to practice for it? I have my interview on Wednesday

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, did you write your "area of interest" questions with references to specific UIC programs, or did you just answer the questions without any reference to UIC programs? I'm confused by the lack of word count limits and don't want to go too far LOL

Hey guys, did you write your "area of interest" questions with references to specific UIC programs, or did you just answer the questions without any reference to UIC programs? I'm confused by the lack of word count limits and don't want to go too far LOL
Did not reference programs considering I completed this secondary in June and had no knowledge of the programs.

I was just emailed that I’m complete but I haven’t completed Snapshot yet, has this happened to anyone else? Not sure why I was marked complete, but I guess I have some time to get it done because I’m officially in the queue now

Congratulations..
Still waiting for II. Completed on 7/9, 3.9/515/3rd quartile/IS. Should I be worried?
You should definitely be fine with those stats, keep holding on! A bit of anecdotal evidence here and I may be somehow doxxing myself lol, but close to 90% of my interview group was from Cali (including myself), so I feel like they definitely go in batches (by region in some cases) with OOS first for IIs.

edit: said IS instead of OOS lmao oops

Last edited:
To add to the above comment: I read through last year's thread and it seems that UICOM delays IS interviews to much later in the cycle and does OOS/OOR ones first. n = 1 but I'm OOS and have an interview scheduled for soon

Has anyone interviewed yet? I was wondering how intense the MMI questions were and what resources you possibly used to practice for it? I have my interview on Wednesday
Interviewed last week, didn't prepare at all lol. All of the faculty and the dean were super approachable and kind and made it clear that the interview wasn't meant to be stressful but just to provide an opportunity to be yourself in front of them. The MMI questions were for the most part pretty typical, they were basically scoping out how well you would be able to handle medical school.
1-2 questions came out of left field in terms of subject matter (some topics I was genuinely surprised that would come up in a med school interview lol) but none of them were anything you needed to know any specific healthcare policy/ethical principles for. Only thing I would say is don't spend too long on your initial answer since they have multiple follow-up questions prepared for each 5 minute MMI block. I definitely did this and spent too long on the initial portion multiple times, not sure if it affected my evaluation in any way.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed last week, didn't prepare at all lol. All of the faculty and the dean were super approachable and kind and made it clear that the interview wasn't meant to be stressful but just to provide an opportunity to be yourself in front of them. The MMI questions were for the most part pretty typical, they were basically scoping out how well you would be able to handle medical school.
1-2 questions came out of left field in terms of subject matter (some topics I was genuinely surprised that would come up in a med school interview lol) but none of them were anything you needed to know any specific healthcare policy/ethical principles for. Only thing I would say is don't spend too long on your initial answer since they have multiple follow-up questions prepared for each 5 minute MMI block. I definitely did this and spent too long on the initial portion multiple times, not sure if it affected my evaluation in any way.

How was the one-on-one? Good luck and I'm rooting for an A for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
How was the one-on-one? Good luck and I'm rooting for an A for you!
Thanks so much! The one-on-one (at least with the interviewer I had) actually had a few more MMI-like questions at the beginning (we heard you like MMIs...) but after that was pretty chill and conversational. I don't believe it was closed-file but my guy didn't ask me to expand on anything specific from my app. Mainly just talked about the school's mission, different campuses and how that fits with you, and what to expect as a medical school/healthcare professional. A lot of repetition/crossover with some of the questions from the MMI round tbh. Plenty of time to ask questions too.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much! The one-on-one (at least with the interviewer I had) actually had a few more MMI-like questions at the beginning (we heard you like MMIs...) but after that was pretty chill and conversational. I don't believe it was closed-file but my guy didn't ask me to expand on anything specific from my app. Mainly just talked about the school's mission, different campuses and how that fits with you, and what to expect as a medical school/healthcare professional. A lot of repetition/crossover with some of the questions from the MMI round tbh. Plenty of time to ask questions too.

Awesome, thanks!

It would be great to get some love from my alma mater and being IS.

These "Join the UICOM Admissions Team at the AAMC Virtual Medical School Fair" posts are straight-up evil now :cautious:

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
Reading all these comments about IS people not getting II yet gives me hope

Do the scholarly concentration impact admission decisions at all?

Hello! OOS here, just got interview invite :D (First of this cycle). Completed application by August 3. Good luck everyone 🤞

Hello! OOS here, just got interview invite :D (First of this cycle). Completed application by August 3. Good luck everyone 🤞
Congrats! Seems like they are continuing their trend of sending OOS II first.

Do the scholarly concentration impact admission decisions at all?
They don't necessarily affect admissions. However, if admitted, they do influence campus selection as some concentrations are only available at specific campuses.

To give hope to some people stressing about not getting an II, UIC is my state school and I was super bummed about not getting an II early. I sent an update mid-October. I ended up getting the UICOM II late January after I had assumed they were rejecting me. Give it time and don't let the stress consume you!

Reading all these comments about IS people not getting II yet gives me hope
OOS for Illinois but this is exactly what seems to be happening at my state school (Colorado). On Virginia's thread, it looks like they have a similar thing going on too. I have no idea why, but it seems like a relatively common thing for state schools to do. We'll get the IIs soon, don't worry!

do they send campus preference before or after we are accepted?

II today! OOS, URM, non-traditional. Complete 7/15

• Love
Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering how much time do you get to read the question before you start answering for the MMI round?

Thanks for sharing your experience! I was wondering how much time do you get to read the question before you start answering for the MMI round?
No problem! They give you about 2 minutes to think about each question with their camera off then about 5 to give your response before you move on to the next round

Has anyone here applied early decision? I did and my secondary was complete in early July and have yet to hear about an interview.

Has anyone here applied early decision? I did and my secondary was complete in early July and have yet to hear about an interview.
I did not but just curious. What were the requirements of applying early decision? I see that you had to set up a meeting with the dean to see if you're a good candidate but were there any stat cutoffs?

I did not but just curious. What were the requirements of applying early decision? I see that you had to set up a meeting with the dean to see if you're a good candidate but were there any stat cutoffs?
No stat cutoffs technically, but in the meeting I told them my GPA and MCAT. Also, the dean did tell me they like to see ED applicants have similar stats to the average stats of the matriculants the year prior.

Last edited:
Was anyone sent an invitation to interview for the UIC Post Bacc Program after submitting a secondary? Assuming this is a rejection to their medical program.

No problem! They give you about 2 minutes to think about each question with their camera off then about 5 to give your response before you move on to the next round
Sorry for asking a lot questions! I was wondering if you were able to be off from zoom call for the duration of the break.

Sorry for asking a lot questions! I was wondering if you were able to be off from zoom call for the duration of the break.
Yes! There are several mini-breaks and a few larger ones

II received this morning! IS, ORM, 3.6x, 515, 3rd quartile Casper.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Did anyone who already interviewed this month send an update letter? I’m not sure If I should try to send one in before the Oct 15th acceptance date

For this of you who have already interviewed, when did you receive links to the interview? I’m just wondering bc on my portal is the schedule but no links.

For this of you who have already interviewed, when did you receive links to the interview? I’m just wondering bc on my portal is the schedule but no links.

You should get an email 2 days before your interview day with your group assignment and Zoom links

Great. Thank you!

No problem! Good luck on your interview! Remember to enjoy it. I absolutely loved my interview day at UICOM. To echo what was said in past comments, the faculty are all incredibly understanding and kind, which helped make the interview day much less stressful.

And if you haven’t already (and have the availability), I would recommend attending the student meet-and-greet. It was a great, informal way to talk to current students.

No problem! Good luck on your interview! Remember to enjoy it. I absolutely loved my interview day at UICOM. To echo what was said in past comments, the faculty are all incredibly understanding and kind, which helped make the interview day much less stressful.

And if you haven’t already (and have the availability), I would recommend attending the student meet-and-greet. It was a great, informal way to talk to current students.
Thank you! I did yesterday and it was very insightful. :)