2018-2019 Emory University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I shifted through last years threads and as far as I can tell the last release cycle in March only accepted people that interviewed in late February so good luck! And for those of us that interviewed earlier and didn’t hear back yet let’s all just hope they change it up this year and take us all :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I shifted through last years threads and as far as I can tell the last release cycle in March only accepted people that interviewed in late February so good luck! And for those of us that interviewed earlier and didn’t hear back yet let’s all just hope they change it up this year and take us all :)

Usually optimistic but having been looked over numerous cycles, lack of evidence from previous threads (for being reviewed each wave), I believe it is safe to say most of us will be wait-listed and ultimately rejected. :thumbdown::(

Usually optimistic but having been looked over numerous cycles, lack of evidence from previous threads (for being reviewed each wave), I believe it is safe to say most of us will be wait-listed and ultimately rejected. :thumbdown::(
Yep, an M2 told mentioned that he knew people who were interviewed in October and heard back in February, and while some people even get off the waitlist, I think it's fair to say that it won't be the wave of acceptances we're hoping for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

It might be different this year with traffic rule changes

Got the packet in the mail today! I checked my portal yesterday morning and it hadn't updated but now it is!!

WAHOO CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL THIS FALL :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
Got the packet in the mail today! I checked my portal yesterday morning and it hadn't updated but now it is!!

Congratulation friend! Mind letting us know when you interviewed? :)

OMG CONGRATS! which part of the country do u live in? maybe they're updating portals based on geographic location (i'm pathetically hopeful right now lol, it's a bit sad)

For those accepted, have any of you been accepted MD/MPH? Tryna hope that maybe the reason why I haven't heard back yet was because they wait to do all the MD/MPH decisions until they interview all applicants in the MD/MPH pool lol (interviewed back in Novermber :dead: )

Hey all! I hope I am not too late. My interview is tomorrow and they said that I should wear tennis shoes with my suit since there is going to be a lot of walking. Since we are all semi neurotic is it okay for me to do this? Do not want to give wrong impressions.

Hey Bushido! I am also interviewing tomorrow and I believe they mean bring tennis shoes to change into, so definitely arrive in professional shoes. It’s mentioned in the interview confirmation email. See you tomorrow!

Aighty aight. Deferred from the first school I interviewed at and rejected from the only other interview. Just sent out a mass of update letters so here’s to hoping for the best ;)

Last edited:
Is the last interview data on February 22nd? (lol rip)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also wondering this. Has anyone sent a post-II letter of interest/update?
They're not receptive to it. During the interview day, they said not to send thank you notes/emails or anything else. After the last acceptance wave, they'll let you know what you need to do if you're on the alternate list (I think that involves writing something).

They're not receptive to it. During the interview day, they said not to send thank you notes/emails or anything else. After the last acceptance wave, they'll let you know what you need to do if you're on the alternate list (I think that involves writing something).

They told us to use a section on the portal for updates and such. They just said not to e-mail them about it.

R pre-II. Complete mid July. Oh well, I'm staying in NY!

Cheers, all!

Pre-II R, as I expect for all other pre-II peeps at this point since the email said “Interview season has closed.”

Got that pre-II R finally, complete 9/5, ah well

Pre-II R. Thought they were interested because of an email encouraging the app but guess not. Enjoy the donation Emory, I'll see y'all on the other side.

Anybody else having a hard time getting accepted into the Facebook group for some reason? I’ve canceled and re-sent my request three times now.

JUST GOT AN ACCEPTANCE CALL! A DREAM COME TRUE :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
Omg congrats!!!! Did you recently interview? Thought the last wave wouldn't be until next week!
I interviewed on one of the last interview days! On the phone they told me acceptance letters still aren’t going out until Monday

There was also someone who got an acceptance call the Friday before release day. That one ended up being a diversity recruitment thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a general pattern. I think we can still expect Monday letters and Tuesday portal updates.
Nah it wasn’t a diversity recruitment move. I’m asian lmao

Reactions: 2 users
There was also someone who got an acceptance call the Friday before release day. That one ended up being a diversity recruitment thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a general pattern. I think we can still expect Monday letters and Tuesday portal updates.
Yikes. I’m “URM” as some like to say, and I only got an email, no call.

Do people still think only people who interviewed on one of the last days has a shot at getting accepted on this last acceptance day?

Yikes. I’m “URM” as some like to say, and I only got an email, no call.
What email? I got an email about coming for second look but I haven't received an "official acceptance". wondering if it's a mistake.

what are the thoughts on the clinical years not being pass/fail? can any current students comment too? thank you!

I'm just an applicant but I don't think any medical schools have pass/fail clinical years?
Some of the top medical schools do have pass/fail clinical years, and a few more are moving to it. There are some schools that have P/F during the traditional Clerkship clinical year, but give traditional grades for sub internships. Most competitive specialties require that students do one or two away rotations anyway in their chosen specialty and during those rotations, they would be graded too.

Of course, the more that a medical school uses P/F for grading, the more likely that the Step exams, especially step 1, will end up having more weight when it comes to Residency applications. And this is not a good thing. The issue with Step 1 scores being used for residency decisions is that the test was not developed to distinguish a 228 from a 238 from a 248. The test was developed to decide whether medical school graduates should be able to get a license. When you use a test for something it was not designed for (ie lacks internal validity), that is very suboptimal. So the medical schools with P/F throughout the curriculum do struggle a bit about how to provide useful information to the residencies when students apply to residency.

I was accepted in October and have not received any information about second look... am I the only one?

Good luck this week ppl!! May our mailboxes runneth over with acceptance letters :)

of course my mailroom is under renovation currently lol...is it reliable that the 'status' on the portal would change tomorrow if we were to get in? (since I am unable to check my actual mail until realistically Wedn)......also did Emory mention anything about the portal status changing? I don't remember them saying anything.

of course my mailroom is under renovation currently lol...is it reliable that the 'status' on the portal would change tomorrow if we were to get in? (since I am unable to check my actual mail until realistically Wedn)......also did Emory mention anything about the portal status changing? I don't remember them saying anything.
Yes, the portal should be indicative. My letter didn't actually arrive until Saturday so I doubt you'll receive it by Wednesday. Good luck!!!!!!

it changed on wednesday for me!