2018-2019 Emory University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Emory University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below (200 words)."

For this question, would it be appropriate to mention a significant personal adversity/ life circumstance (I didn't mention anywhere on primary because I saved it for secondaries)? Or are they really only looking for updates?

"If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below (200 words)."

For this question, would it be appropriate to mention a significant personal adversity/ life circumstance (I didn't mention anywhere on primary because I saved it for secondaries)? Or are they really only looking for updates?
This is for updates since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary received! When I log into the portal, I only have the option for a program select and no space for prompts. Hopefully just a technical issue!

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received! When I log into the portal, I only have the option for a program select and no space for prompts. Hopefully just a technical issue!

Same. I can't even click on the program I want to select - it seems to be grayed out. I even updated my Chrome browser.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! I only have the option for program select, but I'm not able to click on a program - when I try to select a bubble, nothing happens. Anyone else having this issue?

Secondary received! I only have the option for program select, but I'm not able to click on a program - when I try to select a bubble, nothing happens. Anyone else having this issue?
Yes, same issue here! Seems to be what everyone’s experiencing...

anyone else not receive the secondary?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For MD/PhD:
Please describe your interest in the research of THREE current Emory faculty. How does their research relate to your interests and goals as a physician scientist? (1000 characters)

For MD:
All are 200 words
  1. List your entire curriculum plan for the current academic year. If you are not currently in school, please briefly describe your plans for the coming year.
  2. Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences.
  3. Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected.
  4. What do you consider to be the role of the physician in the community?
  5. If you have any updates or new information to report since you have submitted your AMCAS primary application, please briefly describe below.

@Lucca

Reactions: 3 users
Secondary received, good luck everyone!

Do I need to write anything for the fifth essay if there isn't anything truly new for me to put? I answered this question in the first essay largely.

Secondary submitted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something slightly frustrating about Emory is that their median LizzyM comes out to 71.9, yet all I saw on the past years Emory threads were LizzyMs of 75+ getting II’s. Mine is 72-73, but my mcat is a little low for Emory (514, ORM). Maybe it’s that I’m starting to regret my mcat performance more and more as the days in the cycle go by, and interviews haven’t even started yet...

I’ll stop talking before I overly validate all of you that got high scores ;), but boy does this feel bad, especially because I hit higher on all aamc practice tests, and because I really want to go here.
Selection bias bro.

A 514 is great! Your scores are fine for Emory, especially with that 3.9+.

Still waiting on secondary... LM = 75, OOS. However I don't have my letters in yet, so this may be a factor?

My LizzyM score was 72.3, I think I may be on the low end of having a shot here, wish me luck anyways!

No secondary yet either, OOS and verified mid-June. Oh well, always good to have another one looming ahead

When inputting the course numbers, if you've taken more than just the minimum requirements, (i.e. more than 8 hours of biology credits with lab) do you just put in enough classes to hit 8 credits or list all biology classes?

When inputting the course numbers, if you've taken more than just the minimum requirements, (i.e. more than 8 hours of biology credits with lab) do you just put in enough classes to hit 8 credits or list all biology classes?
The least you put, the better imo. They just wanna make sure you hit the minimum. I would say maybe the humanities is where you could add extra if its in a lot of different fields and subjects.

My LizzyM score was 72.3, I think I may be on the low end of having a shot here, wish me luck anyways!

I mean like I said, their median LizzyM is 71.9. The problem is people of so many different LizzyMs hear nothing from them and get rejected in March. You might as well apply, especially if your MCAT is high

Selection bias bro.

A 514 is great! Your scores are fine for Emory, especially with that 3.9+.

Thanks for the kind words dude. At least I know to be patient, I realize most of these schools will decide yes/no on their high mcat folks first. If I get an interview invite, it'll be October or later

Could we use the final prompt as additional info not in AMCAS, or is it updates only?

What do they want with the health related question? If I am just supposed to describe my experiences in the healthcare field I have already done that on my primary application.

What do they want with the health related question? If I am just supposed to describe my experiences in the healthcare field I have already done that on my primary application.
I just repeated what I had put on my primary application in a very concise way, like l sort of listed what I had done putting a sentence for each activity

Something slightly frustrating about Emory is that their median LizzyM comes out to 71.9, yet all I saw on the past years Emory threads were LizzyMs of 75+ getting II’s. Mine is 72-73, but my mcat is a little low for Emory (514, ORM). Maybe it’s that I’m starting to regret my mcat performance more and more as the days in the cycle go by, and interviews haven’t even started yet...

I’ll stop talking before I overly validate all of you that got high scores ;), but boy does this feel bad, especially because I hit higher on all aamc practice tests, and because I really want to go here.

You are not alone. As someone that is in the same neighborhood as your MCAT score, I am in the same position. 2 of my practice tests were 2 points higher than my test. I let it go as soon as possible after the scores came out because I knew I couldn't do anything about it and there was no point complaining about a 90+ percentile score (which many other applicants would kill for).

But this application cycle starting up and seeing all the past years threads for a lot of my schools is making me wanna slap myself upside the head for not prepping hard enough for the MCAT. All we can do is just move on and hope for the best.

I have this odd feeling about this cycle that I am not going to get a single interview invite from any of the schools where I am around the median, let alone my reach schools. No clue where it stems from but the gut feeling is there.

Anyone else still waiting on OOS secondary? Is there a way to ask Emory if they've sent us one? I have nothing in my inbox from them but am paranoid that they sent it and I haven't done it yet.
yup

Reactions: 2 users
For the 'Program Select' page, do we need to answer the two questions if we selected MD Only?

Anyone else still waiting on OOS secondary? Is there a way to ask Emory if they've sent us one? I have nothing in my inbox from them but am paranoid that they sent it and I haven't done it yet.
I'm OOS and received mine 7/12/18 around 10:00 eastern time. LizzyM=74

For anyone else who checked the MD/MPH or MD/MA in bioethics and had to explain how your interest in the dual degree intersects with medicine, how are you then answering the later question "Briefly describe your interest in Emory and the Emory degree program you have selected?" Obviously I plan to address why I am interested in Emory specifically, but I'm wondering to what extent I need to talk about my dual degree selection again or if I should focus on the MD part. It seems like there's a lot of potential for overlap here.

Unsure about the
"Briefly describe your health-related experiences. Be sure to include important experiences that are in your AMCAS application, as well as any recent experiences. (200 Words)" prompt.

My understanding is that it is only about clinical experiences, such as volunteering and shadowing, but my father says that I should include my basic research as well? Can someone shine some light on this dilemma?

Submitted a few minutes ago! recieved on the 12th