2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got II for 12/1!! First II of the season for me :)
Submitted 11/10, LizzyM 67 MCAT 510

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
II as well!! Second of the season! LizzyM ~71. MCAT 516. They don't give you an option for the interview date interestingly enough. Let's get excited!

Reactions: 7 users
The couple of you who who received II - congrats!!! IS/OOS? And did you all submit quickly after receiving the secondary? I just submitted this weekend lol, but that's still a wonderfully fast turnaround.

Members don't see this ad :)
The couple of you who who received II - congrats!!! IS/OOS? And did you all submit quickly after receiving the secondary? I just submitted this weekend lol, but that's still a wonderfully fast turnaround.

IS. I got the secondary last Friday 11/10, submitted Saturday 11/11 afternoon. As someone who has been getting mostly silence since I applied in late August, this turn around felt really good :^)

Reactions: 5 users
IS. I got the secondary last Friday 11/10, submitted Saturday 11/11 afternoon. As someone who has been getting mostly silence since I applied in late August, this turn around felt really good :^)

Happy for you!!! Being on top of submission, you earned it! :clap: definitely not expecting such a fast turnaround with thanksgiving this week / having just submitted, but hoping to hear something back relatively quickly as well!

Reactions: 1 users
OOS and just got one for early Dec a ah I am so happy!!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Best way to wake up ... I see a nice thing Christmas gift. So any advice on MMI prep because I need to kill those "b***s"

Pardon my french... I am just exited!!!

Anyone worried about the heavy PBL focus here? Seems like it might be similar to LECOM-Bradenton.

Sent from my SM-A300H using SDN mobile

Best way to wake up ... I see a nice thing Christmas gift. So any advice on MMI prep because I need to kill those "b***s"

I know this is a weird question but how was the letter worded? I’m just curious to see how positive letters are worded.

For those of you with II (first of all, congrats!), I am wondering if you also applied Nova DO? If so, did you interview for that program already?

I know this is a weird question but how was the letter worded? I’m just curious to see how positive letters are worded.
"congratulations!" that's how it started. For a second, i thought they were offering me a pre-II acceptance. :)

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you with II (first of all, congrats!), I am wondering if you also applied Nova DO? If so, did you interview for that program already?
I just completed Nova DO's secondary yesterday, so havent interviewed there yet.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!

Honestly, after prepping for and attending an MMI, my advice would be to look up a solid list of prompts, and just practice coming up with clear responses. There are a lot of prep videos online (I watched the Course Grinder ones on Youtube) that offer specific strategies, but ultimately I think its important to come up with a method that works for *you*. That can only be found by running through as many scenarios as possible, and seeing how you can best achieve a clear and concise response.

I think I tried too much to follow the formula from those videos on my first couple of stations, and struggled a little bit, before kind of doing my own thing on later stations and feeling a lot more confident/comfortable with my responses.

FWIW, I believe most MMI stations involve a 2-minute period for reviewing the prompt (outside of the room), followed by an 8-minute window to answer. So if you're trying to replicate scenarios, that's the format I'd follow. My hope would be that Nova manages to execute organized MMIs, but there may be some slight issues with them being brand new (idk what format they use for the DO school).

Edit: Also, when did you submit your secondary??

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Submitted on 11/11 here as well, I guess I didnt impress them enough :D I wonder how many interviews they will be giving out?

Last edited:
Congratulations!

Honestly, after prepping for and attending an MMI, my advice would be to look up a solid list of prompts, and just practice coming up with clear responses. There are a lot of prep videos online (I watched the Course Grinder ones on Youtube) that offer specific strategies, but ultimately I think its important to come up with a method that works for *you*. That can only be found by running through as many scenarios as possible, and seeing how you can best achieve a clear and concise response.

I think I tried too much to follow the formula from those videos on my first couple of stations, and struggled a little bit, before kind of doing my own thing on later stations and feeling a lot more confident/comfortable with my responses.

FWIW, I believe most MMI stations involve a 2-minute period for reviewing the prompt (outside of the room), followed by an 8-minute window to answer. So if you're trying to replicate scenarios, that's the format I'd follow. My hope would be that Nova manages to execute organized MMIs, but there may be some slight issues with them being brand new (idk what format they use for the DO school).

Submitted on the 14th!

Nope, not at this time

Oh shoot, I was about to say that that is some next level turnaround lmao. I submitted over the weekend, so here's to hoping for the both of us to hear back soon after thanksgiving!

I submitted the 14th but haven't heard any news yet

anyone know what the tuition will be here? Trying to decide to apply here lol

51k for in-state, 54k out of state

I'm really interested to see if they offer scholarships. I get that they're a private institution, but I just can't imagine them pulling in a competitive class without offering some incentive. New school, very different curriculum, high tuition in comparison to all the FL state schools - any student choosing between Nova and another acceptance would probably have a lot of reservations. It's not to say that they couldn't pull in a class fully composed of people who only receive admittance there. But, I'd imagine they want to go beyond that.

I'm really interested to see if they offer scholarships. I get that they're a private institution, but I just can't imagine them pulling in a competitive class without offering some incentive. New school, very different curriculum, high tuition in comparison to all the FL state schools - any student choosing between Nova and another acceptance would probably have a lot of reservations. It's not to say that they couldn't pull in a class fully composed of people who only receive admittance there. But, I'd imagine they want to go beyond that.

Agreed, I grew up in the area and would love to come back - but I don't think I'd turn down my current acceptances without getting fiscal incentives at Nova.

Dang I slacked off on the seconday thinking it would be waste of time and money, wasn't expecting such a fast turn around. Submitting today!

Long time lurker, first time poster. II received 11:39 PM on 11/19/86. 2° received 11/10, submitted 11/16. IS, nontrad, cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.86, 510, research/volunteering/paid clinical work hours all in the 1000's. Old job was in state politics. Interview is on 12/1.

Reactions: 6 users
Long time lurker, first time poster. II received 11:39 PM on 11/19/86. 2° received 11/10, submitted 11/16. IS, nontrad, cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.86, 510, research/volunteering/paid clinical work hours all in the 1000's. Old job was in state politics. Interview is on 12/1.
congratulations.
DID you get a confirmation email when you submitted

II received 11:39 PM on 11/19/86.

what_year_is_it.jpg

:p congrats!

Reactions: 13 users
Ok just submitted my application here. Don't feel like I did a great job on it, but also at this point, was just so tired from writing essays

Ok just submitted my application here. Don't feel like I did a great job on it, but also at this point, was just so tired from writing essays

lol my concern was more that I hadn't written a secondary essay in months. I was able to reuse some old ones, but idk whether my new ones were that great or not haha. Hoping for the best!

We are like application twins, lol. I'm also interviewing then and am a nontraditional applicant. (our stats are even very similar) Looking forward to meeting you!

Does anyone know what the latest MCAT Nova will accept for this cycle is? I tried to look through the FAQs but I didn't see anything about MCAT dates.

I'm strongly thinking about signing up for a January retake. I got a good score the first time around, but I was very unprepared and I entirely attribute a decent score to being good at taking standardized tests instead of having actual knowledge. I'm hoping I could perhaps make up for some other deficits in my application if I boost my MCAT score a bit.

Does anyone know what the latest MCAT Nova will accept for this cycle is? I tried to look through the FAQs but I didn't see anything about MCAT dates.

I'm strongly thinking about signing up for a January retake. I got a good score the first time around, but I was very unprepared and I entirely attribute a decent score to being good at taking standardized tests instead of having actual knowledge. I'm hoping I could perhaps make up for some other deficits in my application if I boost my MCAT score a bit.

Considering that they are supposedly trying to give out interview decisions in 2-3 weeks, I don't think taking the MCAT again for this cycle would help you very much. Regardless of much your score increases, if it were to increase, they wouldn't get your score till February. They would either use your current scores to make an invite decision or put your application on hold till February and most schools only interview till March. Just my own speculation though, someone on an admissions committee could probably give you a more concrete answer.

Things we have learned so far: No complete emails. No additional info need if you FAP qualified. Majority PBL but unknown details. Class of 50. MMI interview. Probable scholarships but no word on full rides for inaugural class. Insane turnaround re:II for some but no hard cut offs or known screens.

Reactions: 6 users
Things we have learned so far: No complete emails. No additional info need if you FAP qualified. Majority PBL but unknown details. Class of 50. MMI interview. Probable scholarships but no word on full rides for inaugural class. Insane turnaround re:II for some but no hard cut offs or known screens.

This is fun. It's like a medical school mystery box!

Reactions: 7 users
Throwing my hat in the ring! Hopefully there's discounted tuition for incoming students haha

Submitted over the weekend.... derp , not expecting a quick turnaround since they probably received a bunch but fingers crossed!

I gave it a go, too. Who knows.... I love the location, though. Financial incentives would make me think about it ^_^

I gave it a go, too. Who knows.... I love the location, though. Financial incentives would make me think about it ^_^

Do you really have 15 II already? Send some my way. I take VISA II transfers or gift card II, i'm not picky haha

Reactions: 10 users
Congratulations!

I'm sure that method definitely works for some people, but I honestly didn't do squat to prepare for my MMI. I formulated an answer for why medicine, strengths/weaknesses, etc. and that was all. It landed me an acceptance, so I'm a proponent of not doing a ton of prepping for MMI. I think if you show you're thoughtful of different viewpoints and act like a normal human then you'll be okay.

I'm sure that method definitely works for some people, but I honestly didn't do squat to prepare for my MMI. I formulated an answer for why medicine, strengths/weaknesses, etc. and that was all. It landed me an acceptance, so I'm a proponent of not doing a ton of prepping for MMI. I think if you show you're thoughtful of different viewpoints and act like a normal human then you'll be okay.
Wow, werent you asked any ethical during your MMI?? So you were asked traditional questions by multiple interviewers?? is that what you are saying?

Yeah I'd have to agree with you that really, beyond the normal interview prep, there isn't much to do. As I said in my original post, I watched a lot of videos and stuff but ending up ditching those methods down the stretch and felt as though I did better at that point. I'd only say do practice questions for the sake of testing your own abilities to formulate responses.

Wow, werent you asked any ethical during your MMI?? So you were asked traditional questions by multiple interviewers?? is that what you are saying?

Not the person you asked, but ... I had several traditional q's during mine. Why med, strength/weakness, and hobbies. That said, there were definitely ethical questions as well. But I'd say it was pretty much a 50/50 split between ethics and normal questions.

I was asked a couple traditional and a few ethical questions. I guess it might help that I took a couple ethics class in college. Doubtful, but maybe. MMIs are just looking to see how personable and flexible you are. They aren't going to not let you in if your ethical answer is different than your interviewer. Explore different options verbally and see both sides of the coin. For example: what are your thoughts on gun control? I wouldn't just go out and say "GUNS R BAD BAN THEM". Explore both sides and see the good and bad in both. It's fine to have an opinion, but just be flexible.

Yeah I'd have to agree with you that really, beyond the normal interview prep, there isn't much to do. As I said in my original post, I watched a lot of videos and stuff but ending up ditching those methods down the stretch and felt as though I did better at that point. I'd only say do practice questions for the sake of testing your own abilities to formulate responses.

Whoops lol I guess reading the whole post before switching back tabs to MNF would be helpful..