2020-2021 Nova Southeastern (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you have an idea about their MCAT and GPA averages ?
they mentioned trying to bump it up to 3.7 & 515 this year. But it all really depends on who commits to the final class and shows up on day one.

Update: Unsure about just how high GPA is for incoming class.

Members don't see this ad.

web site says around 50 seats, but when i called to check the status, i kind of heard 200, now i am not sure if i heard correctly
50 seats. They accept/conditionally accept up to 150.

well if they're interviewing until MAY then I hope not. But it does seem like a 50% acceptance rate since 300+ interview and 140+ get in
It's about 50 seats for 300 interviews. The 150 is the accepted + conditionally accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
they mentioned trying to bump it up to 3.7 & 515 this year. But it all really depends on who commits to the final class and shows up on day one.

Update: Unsure about just how high GPA is for incoming class.
What you mean unsure how high incoming gpa? Anybody know how they interpret grad GPAs

Just waitlisted, interviewed last Friday March 5th lol so fast I pretty much interviewed for a waitlist spot fml

OOS, CA, ORM, 511, 3.85

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 2 users
What you mean unsure how high incoming gpa? Anybody know how they interpret grad GPAs
I wasn't able to refer to any notes to back up the 3.7, but they did mention their aim for mean GPA/MCAT for the incoming classes.

In my understanding, it is a waitlist that often clears.

Generally speaking, that is not what conditional acceptances are. Conditional acceptances mean you are accepted to the school pending all conditions are met, often including: finishing all current classes with an acceptable GPA, degree completion, successful criminal background screen, residency verification and/or tuition waivers, immunizations, and other post-admission requirements. This is based off what other medical schools have sent me, unless NSU is completely different.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Generally speaking, that is not what conditional acceptances are. Conditional acceptances mean you are accepted to the school pending all conditions are met, often including: finishing all current classes with an acceptable GPA, degree completion, successful criminal background screen, residency verification and/or tuition waivers, immunizations, and other post-admission requirements. This is based off what other medical schools have sent me, unless NSU is completely different.
That is not what they said in the interview... but then again I'd never discuss those details after signing an NDA.

Is there anything I can do to get a II here at this point?

• Hmm
Reactions: 6 users
Just got an II! IS. Complete first day, sent an update about a month ago. Interview is in April.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Pre-II rejection about 10 min ago. In-state ORM. Bit on the lower-stat end and submitted my 2° on Feb. 28th, so not at all surprised. Did not send any update or interest letter, but I’m glad the turnaround time was fast. Best of luck everyone!

• Care
  • Sad
Pre-II rejection about 10 min ago. In-state ORM. Bit on the lower-stat end and submitted my 2° on Feb. 28th, so not at all surprised. Did not send any update or interest letter, but I’m glad the turnaround time was fast. Best of luck everyone!

+1 but I sent in my app in September

• Sad
  • Care
+1 pre II R, OOS, complete early August, sent update about 3 weeks ago. not a great R email either in my opinoon.

• Care
  • Sad
Does anyone know if they are still interviewing? I haven’t heard anything since submitting in July

Is there anything I can do to get a II here at this point?
I remember sending a couple of emails here and there about the status of my app to make sure it was complete and being reviewed, etc. Got the II about a month later but not sure if it's just a coincidence. They're interviewing for another 45-60 days so there is still lots of time

• Love
II this morning! Interview is for the end of April. Am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point?

• Love
II this morning! Interview is for the end of April. Am I just interviewing for a waitlist spot at this point?
Not necessarily! I was waitlisted after my interview but was accepted off the waitlist 1 week later! Good luck and congratulations!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else been on the waitlist since the end of October? (or for a long time in general?)

• Hmm
Just got an II! OOS. Complete late August. LM 69

Last edited:
This thread has been super inactive for some reason. Quick question though: Does this school post-II reject or is it always post-II waitlist/acceptance?

This thread has been super inactive for some reason. Quick question though: Does this school post-II reject or is it always post-II waitlist/acceptance?
I heard getting a rejection post-II here is super rare because they interview so few people, so they pick their interviewees very carefully. I believe 300 total interviews, 150 total accepted (that includes majority of acceptances which are off of the wait-list, all the way up through July).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all- I was recently accepted and was wondering if there were any current students I could PM with some questions? Thanks!

Received II yesterday for a late April interview

Hi guys! I was recently accepted here and am super excited about potentially attending. That being said they recently sent out the expected cost of tuition and it comes in around $115,000. My family has never been wealthy and I only have enough savings to move down there, so I will in all likelihood be accepting around $460,000 in loans by the end of school. The thought of owing that much money - likely more due to interest - is incredibly stressful. Does anyone know if it is even possible to pay this off/be successful despite taking that much on? Any advice on loans/repayment would be much appreciated.

• Care
Hi guys! I was recently accepted here and am super excited about potentially attending. That being said they recently sent out the expected cost of tuition and it comes in around $115,000. My family has never been wealthy and I only have enough savings to move down there, so I will in all likelihood be accepting around $460,000 in loans by the end of school. The thought of owing that much money - likely more due to interest - is incredibly stressful. Does anyone know if it is even possible to pay this off/be successful despite taking that much on? Any advice on loans/repayment would be much appreciated.
Hi! I might be wrong but I heard during my interview that this school was very scholarship friendly (if I am mistaken feel free to correct me). In terms of med school financing I know there are some good options on a federal level. I think the rough details are that if you practice in an underserved area they slash some tuition off. Again this is not concrete but maybe jumping points for you to find more info. Hope that helps and congrats on your acceptance!

Are you sure you are not talking about the cost of attendance? Tuition should be 60k give or take. Are they actually raising it by another 50k?

I would not do medical school for $460,000

Are you sure you are not talking about the cost of attendance? Tuition should be 60k give or take. Are they actually raising it by another 50k?

I would not do medical school for $460,000
Hi yes I am talking about total cost the school quoted me. This includes room and board, transportation etc. Either way I will have no income and will have to pay for all of this with loans.

Hi yes I am talking about total cost the school quoted me. This includes room and board, transportation etc. Either way I will have no income and will have to pay for all of this with loans.

I was curious to see their cost of attendance breakdown, but I couldn't find anything online. 115k seems a little steep to me.

If tuition is ~60k, how does everything else amount to an additional 55k? Are there crazy administrative fees or something? What I've seen so far at other schools has been around the ~30k range, bringing total cost of attendance, including tuition, to about an average of ~90k per year.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you don't have to take out the entire 115k if you think you won't need all of it. That's just the maximum amount you can take out in loans at this particular school. How much are they estimating for transportation, housing, books, etc.? If it seems a little inflated and you think you can get by with a lower amount (e.g. living with a roommate instead of by yourself, using public transport instead of a car, renting books instead of buying, etc.) then you can definitely do that. The less you take out in loans, the less interest will accrue.

And if you can, definitely try paying at least some of the interest while you're still in school. If you're able to manage your time well and ONLY if it won't affect your studies, try tutoring once a week for an hour or two to make some extra money. With the total estimate of 460k and 4.3% interest rate on direct unsubsidized loans (maximum of 20,500 per year x 4 years = 82,000) + 5.3% on Grad PLUS loans that cover the rest (378k), you're looking at owing a total of ~555k by the time you graduate. I haven't even factored in interest capitalization, where you'll be paying interest on top of the unpaid interest.

Also, apply for any and all scholarships that you might be eligible for. Every little bit helps. It looks like they have some scholarships available (Steven and Rosemary Kircher Scholarships, Changing Lives MD Scholarship) that require you to fill out a separate application. You can find it on their website.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I was curious to see their cost of attendance breakdown, but I couldn't find anything online. 115k seems a little steep to me.

If tuition is ~60k, how does everything else amount to an additional 55k? Are there crazy administrative fees or something? What I've seen so far at other schools has been around the ~30k range, bringing total cost of attendance, including tuition, to about an average of ~90k per year.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you don't have to take out the entire 115k if you think you won't need all of it. That's just the maximum amount you can take out in loans at this particular school. How much are they estimating for transportation, housing, books, etc.? If it seems a little inflated and you think you can get by with a lower amount (e.g. living with a roommate instead of by yourself, using public transport instead of a car, renting books instead of buying, etc.) then you can definitely do that. The less you take out in loans, the less interest will accrue.

And if you can, definitely try paying at least some of the interest while you're still in school. If you're able to manage your time well and ONLY if it won't affect your studies, try tutoring once a week for an hour or two to make some extra money. With the total estimate of 460k and 4.3% interest rate on direct unsubsidized loans (maximum of 20,500 per year x 4 years = 82,000) + 5.3% on Grad PLUS loans that cover the rest (378k), you're looking at owing a total of ~555k by the time you graduate. I haven't even factored in interest capitalization, where you'll be paying interest on top of the unpaid interest.

Also, apply for any and all scholarships that you might be eligible for. Every little bit helps. It looks like they have some scholarships available (Steven and Rosemary Kircher Scholarships, Changing Lives MD Scholarship) that require you to fill out a separate application. You can find it on their website.

Hope this helps and good luck.
The amount he mentioned looks about right compared to the COA quoted by FIU (another Miami based Med school) for out of state students. It's very expensive to go to school in Miami because of the cost of living (it's reflected even in the school tuition because they have bills & expenses to pay too).

You could live with that amount of debt. There are income based repayment plans which only ever take so much of your paycheck.

The real question is, should you take out that much money to go to med school? Only you can answer whether you should do it or not.
Maybe the school will offer some sort of scholarship money or maybe you don't have any other acceptances... tough call.