2020-2021 Nova Southeastern (MD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I sent nothing haha I was WL about a month ago and nothing till this A
gotchu, I was also WLd like 2 weeks ago and still haven't sent anything. Glad they started some movement though

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when financial aid is supposed to be released? Or has anyone received a merit or need-based scholarship at all?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when financial aid is supposed to be released? Or has anyone received a merit or need-based scholarship at all?
I asked Dr. Eason about this, this was her response: "Those with a deadline and application, generally students will not hear until after the deadline so we can review all applications. However, the other scholarships non-application based, for newly accepted students we aim to notify individuals prior to April 30th."

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted. Interviewed last Friday, quick turnaround but to be expected at this point given what they told us

Has anyone been accepted or rejected from the waitlist and how long does is take to find out? Or are you just indefinitely on the waitlist once you’re placed?
Someone was accepted on Wednesday...there’s no definitive timeline! You either get accepted or you get a rejection email during the summer

not sure if any current students are on this thread, but if so, can anyone confirm if students receive an iPad from the school? I'm looking to get an iPad for note taking but don't want to purchase one if we're provided one from the school

Did you send any updates or get any additional emails since you were added to the waitlist? I also interviewed in October and havent head anything beyond being placed on the waitlist.

Did you send any updates or get any additional emails since you were added to the waitlist? I also interviewed in October and havent head anything beyond being placed on the waitlist.
No I didn’t send an update or receive additional emails from them since October

A couple questions for any accepted students/current students!

On my acceptance letter it noted:

As a condition of your acceptance, you will be required to successfully complete an online pre-matriculation program designed to strengthen your foundational knowledge in Biochemistry and Immunology. As noted, the program is entirely online and the required materials for the course will be offered at no additional cost to you. Further information regarding the details of the pre-matriculation program will be provided to you in the coming months.

I was just wondering if everyone has to complete this and if anyone’s received information on the length/start date of that as I was hoping to travel most of the summer before starting.

Also on their application timeline it mentioned the second look being in April, has this already took place and what did you think if you attended?

I am stressing a little bit about having to make a decision on this school by April 30 so any insight helps :)

A couple questions for any accepted students/current students!

On my acceptance letter it noted:

As a condition of your acceptance, you will be required to successfully complete an online pre-matriculation program designed to strengthen your foundational knowledge in Biochemistry and Immunology. As noted, the program is entirely online and the required materials for the course will be offered at no additional cost to you. Further information regarding the details of the pre-matriculation program will be provided to you in the coming months.

I was just wondering if everyone has to complete this and if anyone’s received information on the length/start date of that as I was hoping to travel most of the summer before starting.

Also on their application timeline it mentioned the second look being in April, has this already took place and what did you think if you attended?

I am stressing a little bit about having to make a decision on this school by April 30 so any insight helps :)
The second look happened this past Monday 4/19, but it was recorded so hopefully they will email it out or post on the admitted class Facebook page

Members don't see this ad :)
Have they announced what classes will look like in July as far as hybrid or mostly in-person based on student vaccination rates?

How many seats are currently filled and how many more do they plan to fill for the incoming class?
I asked the admissions committee this around March and at that time they had about 45 seats filled and had sent out between 60-75 acceptances. In 2020 I believe they sent out 150+ acceptances in total which I'm guessing over half were from WL movement. fingers crossed tho, whatever the outcome is we'll all prob still be fine and be successful whether now or later

Just got an email about moving from the WL to the Alternate list.

Does anyone remember them discussing this from the interview day? It sounds like they use the alternate list to gauge interest in granting an acceptance, kind of like a waiting room in between WL and A.

I assume that would deter anyone who already holds an acceptance from accepting a spot on the alternate list, because they already have a guarenteed spot elsewhere. Pretty smart if that's the case.

Reactions: 4 users
oh my god after months on the waitlist I just got the acceptance email

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know how this schools compares to Albany in terms of tuition and cost of living? I’m from FL. I have a lease to sign in Albany but kinda hoping I get off the alternate list at nova?! Idk?! I’m losing it. Help me! From the previous threads, seems like nova is more expensive.

Does anyone know how this schools compares to Albany in terms of tuition and cost of living? I’m from FL. I have a lease to sign in Albany but kinda hoping I get off the alternate list at nova?! Idk?! I’m losing it. Help me! From the previous threads, seems like nova is more expensive.
If you want to live in the Miami-Dade area, it's going to be quite expensive! Maybe you can really search hard for a kind hearted soul to rent you a room for cheap, like some of my friends have done in the past, but it's not going to be easy to find, you'll work for it.

If you're on the alternate list though, odds are good you'll get picked up soon!

not sure what you're used to in terms of rent, but I think you can get a decent place to live that is affordable if you sign with roommates. Now, in general, yes Miami-Dade area is more expensive in terms of restaurants, stores, etc. but it's a beautiful place to be! Like mentioned above, if you do your research, you can find a place to live that is affordable for you.

not sure what you're used to in terms of rent, but I think you can get a decent place to live that is affordable if you sign with roommates. Now, in general, yes Miami-Dade area is more expensive in terms of restaurants, stores, etc. but it's a beautiful place to be! Like mentioned above, if you do your research, you can find a place to live that is affordable for you.
Isn't NSU in Broward county though? like in Ft-Lauderdale?

Isn't NSU in Broward county though? like in Ft-Lauderdale?
yes!! more Davie/Ft. Lauderdale, but that area (from my experience of living in south Florida and looking for apartments) is still on the upper end. but again, having roommates will bring the cost down

Is there a Facebook group or a GroupMe for NOVA MD??

So are we basically waiting for waves of acceptances like in last year's thread or is it more they accept as people drop off?

It’s looks like they admitted a lot of people recently because the facebook group is filled. Anyone have any insight from admissions as to how many seats are confirmed and how many are remaining?
I only see 38 right now

What’s the commit to enroll deadline here?

Edit: jk found it it’s June 18th

Are we allowed to contact admissions to ask how much more waitlist movement is expected? I’m assuming some of us on the waitlist here are expected to put down a deposit soon at another school, so if you’re in the same boat, wanted to know your thoughts?
Absolutely. I'm surprised someone hasn't posted an update from the admissions office on here yet actually.

When I left the Facebook there were 38 people in there, 35 students and 3 admin.

Thanks for sharing. Do you know if there are others in the class who haven’t joined the Facebook group or if there are still 15 open seats?
No idea, there was no groupme and Facebook was pretty quiet. So it’s either 15 open seats or that many people don’t have Facebook lol

Did I hear Nova MD is not accredited yet? Shouldn’t this be in big, bold letters somewhere?

Did I hear Nova MD is not accredited yet? Shouldn’t this be in big, bold letters somewhere?

It's currently provisionally accredited by LCME. It's a 3-step process: preliminary -> provisional -> full accreditation. Provisional is the highest status that a school can have that hasn't had a graduating class yet.

It's currently provisionally accredited by LCME. It's a 3-step process: preliminary -> provisional -> full accreditation. Provisional is the highest status that a school can have that hasn't had a graduating class yet.
Oh thank you for explaining this. Should i be worried about this? I am very conflicted choosing between NOVA MD and Albany? Does anybody have any advise? I would appreciate any info. Also didn’t they graduate their first class this year?

Oh thank you for explaining this. Should i be worried about this? I am very conflicted choosing between NOVA MD and Albany? Does anybody have any advise? I would appreciate any info. Also didn’t they graduate their first class this year?

The first graduating class will be the class of 2022. I wouldn't really worry too much about the accreditation thing. Most new US MD schools that get to provisional status reach full accreditation. NOVA should get theirs in 2023, I believe.

As for NOVA vs. Albany, I'm not too sure. It really depends on the financial aid offer, location preference, hospital affiliations for rotations, research opportunities, etc. Newer schools are still in the process of working out the kinks and establishing connections. Hope this helps and good luck. :)

The first graduating class will be the class of 2022. I wouldn't really worry too much about the accreditation thing. Most new US MD schools that get to provisional status reach full accreditation. NOVA should get theirs in 2023, I believe.

As for NOVA vs. Albany, I'm not too sure. It really depends on the financial aid offer, location preference, hospital affiliations for rotations, research opportunities, etc. Newer schools are still in the process of working out the kinks and establishing connections. Hope this helps and good luck. :)
Ok. That was informative. Thank you. So do we get federal loans normally with the provisional accreditation?

Albany for sure

I picked Nova over a more established MD program. Happy to PM and talk with you