2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same email.

In fairness to UVM, it's possible they have reviewed everyone but have a full class. So they may be waiting to see what sort of attrition they experience in the next few weeks before they determine how many remaining candidates can be accepted vs. waitlisted. In some ways, it's nicer than having them just send out a blanket waitlist to remaining candidates...

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I'd rather be waitlisted and then offered an acceptance. People who wouldn't have made UVM their first choice will just drop out of the waitlist, so it will basically weed itself out.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder how many of us got that email yesterday and are still in "purgatory". There seem to be at least 5 in this thread alone

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/25

Also received the "Please be patient" email yesterday.

I wonder how many of us got that email yesterday and are still in "purgatory". There seem to be at least 5 in this thread alone
I have a feeling the ADCOM is just really far behind, they've had a lot of bad snowstorms up there apparently. I don't think it's any reflection of our quality of applicants since many rejections have already gone out.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a feeling the ADCOM is just really far behind, they've had a lot of bad snowstorms up there apparently. I don't think it's any reflection of our quality of applicants since many rejections have already gone out.

Nah, I live here, and snow has shut down the school for MAYBE two days this winter. I'm not sure why they're behind, but it's not from weather.

I think they are holding onto a bunch of people they want to accept, but they don't have any room and are hoping that people will withdraw in the next few weeks, so they can let some of us in. I think that's kind of unrealistic, though, because most people won't withdraw until the multiple acceptance deadline (April 30th).

My theory is that we're essentially just waitlisted, but at the top of the pile. (I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG THOUGH). Not sure why they don't just waitlist us, it's not like any of us will get to go to second look day anyway...

Nah, I live here, and snow has shut down the school for MAYBE two days this winter. I'm not sure why they're behind, but it's not from weather.

I think they are holding onto a bunch of people they want to accept, but they don't have any room and are hoping that people will withdraw in the next few weeks, so they can let some of us in. I think that's kind of unrealistic, though, because most people won't withdraw until the multiple acceptance deadline (April 30th).

My theory is that we're essentially just waitlisted, but at the top of the pile. (I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG THOUGH). Not sure why they don't just waitlist us, it's not like any of us will get to go to second look day anyway...
Maybe they want to accept us and fear a WL will deter us from considering them once they do have enough open spots for us all.

I really like all of these theories haha you guys are boosting my spirits, I want to go here so bad! I got the update email and am really hoping it's a good sign

I really like all of these theories haha you guys are boosting my spirits, I want to go here so bad! I got the update email and am really hoping it's a good sign

To my knowledge they have sent a decent amount of rejections out, that may mean they did a rough "once over" and cut those applicants who are obvious standouts.

Hopefully that means those remaining without a decision are under serious consideration for a spot in the class (or at least on the waitlist)

I could be wrong though.

Reactions: 1 users
I got the email and also fondly remember the interview day lunch. #1 lunch by far, A+++

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know when the official acceptances go out? Also, do parents generally go to second look day too or is it just students?

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the official acceptances go out? Also, do parents generally go to second look day too or is it just students?
None of the second looks I have been to had parents. No idea about official acceptances... what exactly do you mean by official?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email this morning:

"Thank you for your patience. We know you have been waiting many weeks--in some cases even months--for a decision from the Admissions Committee. We now are asking for you to be patient just a little bit longer.

We will send you an update about your status on or before Friday, April 28th."

Got the same email the other day. Also got an email detailing why they denied me for in-state tuition, despite being born and raised there. Vermont applicants, be aware that they are super strict about their in-state tuition requirements...:(

Got the same email the other day. Also got an email detailing why they denied me for in-state tuition, despite being born and raised there. Vermont applicants, be aware that they are super strict about their in-state tuition requirements...:(
Have you lived out of state since? For how long?

Same here. Well my appeal hasn't come back yet. I don't know about you, but it made me remarkably angry.

If you get denied in-state tuition do you still get classified as an in-state applicant for admissions purposes?

Had anyone heard any news from Vermont since receiving the email about the delay in decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When are financial aid packets dispersed?

looking for a place to live? Look no further; 2 bedroom condo with bathroom, kitchen, and living room. 5 minute walk to church street "downtown" where all the bars and restaurants are, and a 10 minute walk to campus/the hospital. PM for details

Absolutely loved Vermont but I will be withdrawing my app tomorrow.. hope my spot and merit aid can go to one of you guys who are all patiently waiting :)

Had anyone heard any news from Vermont since receiving the email about the delay in decisions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Complete silence on my side... hoping for movement this week in the positive direction!

Have you lived out of state since? For how long?

I have been out of state for a year as part of a research fellowship. The problem is, to get the educational/clinical/research experience required to be a competitive applicant at UVM, you pretty much have to leave the state. Vermont isn't exactly brimming with clinical and research opportunities.

Withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 7 users
I have been out of state for a year as part of a research fellowship. The problem is, to get the educational/clinical/research experience required to be a competitive applicant at UVM, you pretty much have to leave the state. Vermont isn't exactly brimming with clinical and research opportunities.

Totally true. That's really rough. I'm sorry :(

Withdrew my acceptance and merit scholarship earlier this week; best of luck to all, especially those on the waitlist! :)

Reactions: 6 users
On the bright side, it's definitely gonna be next week that we hear! :)

OR IS IT?????
I don't know about the rest of you but I am probably gonna be out if they go back on their word (i.e. don't tell us by the 28th). This is just crazy. Between finding an apartment and my fiance finding a job, they are putting people like me in a real bind. Too bad because I really want this school!

I don't know about the rest of you but I am probably gonna be out if they go back on their word (i.e. don't tell us by the 28th). This is just crazy. Between finding an apartment and my fiance finding a job, they are putting people like me in a real bind. Too bad because I really want this school!

Totally agree. I'm half expecting them to just waitlist all of us on Friday rather than giving actual decisions

Totally agree. I'm half expecting them to just waitlist all of us on Friday rather than giving actual decisions

I know its tough because they interview a lot of people but if the numbers keep climbing they either have to push up the dates (start interviews a month earlier) or put some caps on applications. Something has to give because at the end of the day it is the school that ends up looking bad even though in many cases I assume it isn't their fault.

Reactions: 2 users

If that happens I'm going to be so annoyed.... but, it seems like at least a few people have withdrawn in the past couple of weeks, so probably a few of us will get spots? *knocks on every wood surface in the tri state area*

withdrew my oos acceptance today. good luck to everyone waiting.

Reactions: 5 users
Still waiting.... Hoping for the best. I would love to go here, and I really don't want to reapply this cycle.

This wait is actually causing me way too much stress. How does it take over 3 months to make a decision?