2016-2017 University of Vermont Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Diversity Statement
The University of Vermont College of Medicine values diversity as a driver of excellence. We actively seek diversity and inclusion within our academic community of students, faculty, and staff, as well as those we serve through teaching, research, patient care and community engagement. We are committed to building an educational community made up of members with diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds.

In reflecting on your personal background, talents, opinions and life experiences, how might you contribute to the overall diversity of the UVM COM community (3000 characters maximum)?

2. Additional Short Answer Essay Topics (different from last year!)
Please write a short response to one of the following prompts. For either question, when composing your essay, please consider the personal growth you experienced, an impact you may have had on others or a transformation you may have experienced (3000 characters maximum).

Topic 1:
In your journey towards a career in medicine, what experience do you think most convinced you that you want to serve others as a physician?

--OR--

Topic 2:
There are many different types of teams. Effective teams are composed of people with diverse life experiences and varying viewpoints. Reflect on an experience you have had working on a team.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This looks like a real solid school in a real solid state. Really hoping to get to visit! Anyone know what they are looking for in an application?

Anyone know when UVM typically makes first contact with applicants?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when UVM typically makes first contact with applicants?
Hey, Skippy....I know that last year, secondaries started going out on 7/7. I also know that a lot of schools have started sending 'em out earlier this year. There doesn't seem to be much action on this thread yet. Anyone out there have more information to share?

Joining this conversation! No secondary yet, but hoping for one... UVM seems GREAT (besides the very high OOS tuition :()

Secondary Received! (at work but I will try to post the prompts as soon as I can access them)

Prompts:
1. Diversity Statement
The University of Vermont College of Medicine values diversity as a driver of excellence. We actively seek diversity and inclusion within our academic community of students, faculty, and staff, as well as those we serve through teaching, research, patient care and community engagement. We are committed to building an educational community made up of members with diverse talents, experiences, opinions, and backgrounds.

In reflecting on your personal background, talents, opinions and life experiences, how might you contribute to the overall diversity of the UVM COM community (2500 characters maximum)?

2. Additional Short Answer Essay Topics (different from last year!)
Please write a short response to one of the following prompts. For either question, when composing your essay, please consider the personal growth you experienced, an impact you may have had on others or a transformation you may have experienced (2500 characters maximum).

Topic 1:
In your journey towards a career in medicine, what experience do you think most convinced you that you want to serve others as a physician?

--OR--

Topic 2:
There are many different types of teams. Effective teams are composed of people with diverse life experiences and varying viewpoints. Reflect on an experience you have had working on a team.

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 1 users
So for step 3, where we have the option to "comment" on our selected coursework, what are people planning on doing? Is there any reason to add anything?

So for step 3, where we have the option to "comment" on our selected coursework, what are people planning on doing? Is there any reason to add anything?

I think the only reason to comment would be if it was an unconventional class you are using to satisfy a requirement that may require some explanation as to how it is equivalent, or if you potentially had a poor grade in the course and you wanted to explain. If you have all As in these courses (some Bs are fine too) and they are literally classes like "OChem 1, Gen Chem 2, Physics 1, etc..." then I don't see why they would require any explanation because it is obvious why you are using "Introduction to Biology" and "Intro to Bio Lab" to cover the bio requirement.

If you really are stressing though, go ahead an email admissions. I had a question about why there was only one additional space for a rec letter when we can actually submit an additional three, and they got back to me within minutes and were very kind and helpful. For those interested, just put the names of everyone submitting extra letters in the "Optional Recommender" space.

"Residency History
Please list the cities and town in which you have lived from birth to the present. Please include the present approximate population of each."

I'm legitimately not sure I'm going to be able to fit them all in the 675 characters. This is going to take me a while :/

Any OOS receive a secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary email this morning. OOS, verified 6/29

Really hoping for an II from UVM. I've got the secondary ready to and am just waiting for AMCAS to verify my primary. :grumpy:

OOS! Verified 6/7. Just got secondary now

I got the secondary invite, but the informational page says instructions will be sent soon. Anyone else having this problem?

Just got the same thing. I'll wait a day or two before I give them a call
I had the same message. I refreshed the screen, it went away, and I was able to start on the application.

Just added a few hours ago and received secondary very soon after? I thought they screened?

I think it said to note if the lab portion was included in the class, which for me it is. I just wrote 'Lab included'.

Edit: In response to, "So for step 3, where we have the option to "comment" on our selected coursework, what are people planning on doing? Is there any reason to add anything?"

Don't know why I can't quote properly :playful:

Your supplemental application has been received. Please note that it may take 6-8 weeks for all materials to be processed; at certain times of the year, it may take as many as 10-12 weeks. You should continue to periodically check on the status of your file through the Online Applicant Center. We appreciate your patience!

So does this mean my file is complete? I dont see anywhere to check the actual status or see if they got my LoR. Submitted it earlier this afternoon.

Does everyone else's secondary say that Section 4 of the supplemental has been removed? Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything...

The links to the prompts state a 2500 character limit, but in the actual application there is a 3000 character limit. Would it look bad to use the 3000 character limit?

The links to the prompts state a 2500 character limit, but in the actual application there is a 3000 character limit. Would it look bad to use the 3000 character limit?
Quoting because I also want to know the answer to this. I'd hate to write a 3000 character essay just to have the committee's version of it be cut-off

Quoting because I also want to know the answer to this. I'd hate to write a 3000 character essay just to have the committee's version of it be cut-off
I asked my pre-med advisor about this for another application and he said to definitely abide by the shorter limit 1. in case it gets cut off 2. 2500 falls within the rule or 3000 max but not the other way and 3. because, according to him, everyone prefers when their required reading is shorter than expected.

Hopefully that helps! I'm sure you could call to confirm too,
just my 2 cents!

Hey @WedgeDawg the secondaries actually allow for 3000 characters this year. There is also a 1000 character optional space for additional info.

BTW that was the sketchiest secondary I have filled out yet. I'm not totally convinced it actually went through...

BTW that was the sketchiest secondary I have filled out yet. I'm not totally convinced it actually went through...

I agree. When I applied 2 years, ago I submitted in September, and still wasn't complete in December, when I ended up withdrawing.

I agree. When I applied 2 years, ago I submitted in September, and still wasn't complete in December, when I ended up withdrawing.

Ew. I would really like to go here too :-/

When I clicked submit, it when straight to an error message. I logged back in and all of my information was still there and it says my secondary application has been received. I guess it worked but meh. I wish every school used that one really good system. The one that Sinai and NYU use.

Heads up on the character counts: The admissions office said abide by the 2500 limit and if you go a bit over it's ok. It's just that if you use all of the 3000 it might not save

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Interviews are scheduled between late August and mid-March. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview."

Bored at work and decided to check my application status today and this is what it said. I looked through last year's thread and from what I could gather the statuses go from secondary --> preliminary review --> pooled applicants (not everyone gets this) --> interview (not every pooled applicant gets one, but you have to have the pooled status before getting one)
But hey at least this means things are happening!!

What's up with the speeding ticket section?
Anyone have any thoughts about this? First, why do they even care about a speeding ticket and second, what is there to possibly say for the "description." It's just a speeding ticket..

Anyone have any thoughts about this? First, why do they even care about a speeding ticket and second, what is there to possibly say for the "description." It's just a speeding ticket..

I think that question is hilarious because I got a ticket for running a stop sign, which I think everyone would agree is a much more dangerous/stupid violation, but I do not have to disclose it.

I have a ton (more than 10) speeding tickets from when I was like 18. I thought I was really cool when I was younger. I don't remember anything about these there's no way I'm filling them all out

"Your file is complete and has been preliminarily reviewed. You are within a pool of applicants from which an interview may be extended. Please note that this does not guarantee you will be offered an interview and you may not see an update to your status for several months.

Interviews are scheduled between late August and mid-March. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to interview."

Bored at work and decided to check my application status today and this is what it said. I looked through last year's thread and from what I could gather the statuses go from secondary --> preliminary review --> pooled applicants (not everyone gets this) --> interview (not every pooled applicant gets one, but you have to have the pooled status before getting one)

Congratulations! Just submitted my secondary... Hope to be joining you there soon.
#smallpoolofone

+1

How are people answering the diversity question? I'm finding that I just talk about how I've had diverse experiences and understand the value of diversity rather than how I will actually "contribute", if that makes sense. I'm almost positive I'm overthinking this question hahaha.

+2
images

is it safe to say they don't actually screen and the small pool is what we traditionally think of as a screen? its a bit misleading to say they screen in msar if that's the case, but whatever, i like this school :).

also, me too! :)

is it safe to say they don't actually screen and the small pool is what we traditionally think of as a screen? its a bit misleading to say they screen in msar if that's the case, but whatever, i like this school :).

also, me too! :)
I believe it is an automatic screen prior to sending out secondaries and then a more holistic review of your app before the small pool