2020-2021 Vermont

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Vermont

Members don't see this ad.

Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Vermont

2020-2021 Secondary Questions.
1. Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.

2. The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself.

3. Please use this box to describe how the COVID19 pandemic may have adversely impacted your application. (Optional)

4. Additional Comments (Optional):

Reactions: 1 users
1. Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process.

2. The Larner College of Medicine at the University of Vermont recognizes that diversity extends beyond chosen and unchosen identities and encompasses the entirety of an individual’s experiences. Reflect on a time you learned something from someone or a group of people who are unlike yourself.

3. Please use this box to describe how the COVID19 pandemic may have adversely impacted your application. (Optional)

Did you officially get the secondary from them?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are people planning to use the "additional comments" question, if at all? Would you use it as a "Why Larner" essay?

How are people planning to use the "additional comments" question, if at all? Would you use it as a "Why Larner" essay?
i had been thinking about either doing that or writing about the gap year that i’m currently taking, or maybe a blend of both of i can figure out how to combine them well

Reactions: 1 user

Are there any character/word limits?

Hey friends, for the question:
  • Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process. (Word Limit: 500)

Are people just focusing on one particular challenge? I've drafted something that starts with one specific challenging experience, then goes into what I learned and gained from it, which then flows into some additional, more general getting-through-obstacles, just to showcase how I've applied what I learned to my life since then. Just talking about a single experience feels like not much for 500 words (although I know you don't have to use all the space), but I don't want to disrespect the prompt by bringing in too many different things. Thoughts?

• Please reflect on a difficult and challenging non-academic experience you have faced. Include a description of the stressful event, how you dealt with it and what you have learned about others and yourself through this process. (Word Limit: 500)

Are people just focusing on one particular challenge? I've drafted something that starts with one specific challenging experience, then goes into what I learned and gained from it, which then flows into some additional, more general getting-through-obstacles, just to showcase how I've applied what I learned to my life since then. Just talking about a single experience feels like not much for 500 words (although I know you don't have to use all the space), but I don't want to disrespect the prompt by bringing in too many different things. Thoughts?

I personally went into a lot of detail about one specific instance and then basically just tied in at the very end how what I learned/skills I gained can apply to my future in medicine

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else received the secondary? Or is it just the one person above who seems to have one?..

I did this. I think this essay could be strong either way, and demonstrating how you used what you learned in other contexts is an important way to speak to the "what have you learned" part of the question.

For the Covid prompt, is it worth mentioning how some of my activities have stopped because of the pandemic? Tbh in the face of actual death, illness, and unemployment, a lapse in my volunteering seems almost ridiculous to write about, and probably assumed anyway. Thoughts?

I think you can mention it, but don’t try to make it into a sob story. Just say they were cancelled, and move on

what are you guys saying under Residency History

Does anyone know what “adverse judgments” are? I’m gonna guess I don’t have one but I tried to look it up and I don’t know what it means lol

Also for the challenge essay there is a challenge I mentioned in my personal statement and I described it briefly. Could I use that for the secondary essay or should I try to use a different challenge?

what are you guys saying under Residency History

What should I write in the Residency History section?
Please indicate the places you have lived. Include where you lived, the age(s) you were when you lived there, and the approximate population of the city or town.

The above text is from their FAQ and they give a sample of how to fill it out

Reactions: 3 users
What should I write in the Residency History section?
Please indicate the places you have lived. Include where you lived, the age(s) you were when you lived there, and the approximate population of the city or town.

The above text is from their FAQ and they give a sample of how to fill it out

Hey where did you find this FAQ? I looked, but I couldn't find it

Hey where did you find this FAQ? I looked, but I couldn't find it

It’a the very first thing in the Secondary portal FAQ! So once you log into the secondary there’s a link to an FAQ on the left hand side I believe

How many words did you guys write for the required essays? I'm at about 300 rn but don't think I can write anymore.

Two questions:

1. If I didnt fill out the Residency thing according to that FAQ that was posted ^^^ do you think they will look donw upon that? I just put the cities and years I was there

2. I read online that the "option" questions truly are optional and they shouldnt judge too harshly for not answering. Do we think this is really the case ? Im worried now cause i didnt answer them

Two questions:

1. If I didnt fill out the Residency thing according to that FAQ that was posted ^^^ do you think they will look donw upon that? I just put the cities and years I was there

2. I read online that the "option" questions truly are optional and they shouldnt judge too harshly for not answering. Do we think this is really the case ? Im worried now cause i didnt answer them

1. I doubt it’s an issue as long as it accurately represents where you lived and how long you lived there

2. I’m of the mindset that if they wanted everyone to answer it then they’d make it required. If you don’t have anything compelling to add for an optional question Then leave it blank. Of course that’s my personal opinion but seems to be relatively common

For the speeding ticket question, I received one about 3 years ago (for going 75 on the freeway where speed limit is 65), but I paid the ticket and did the traffic school for it, so technically it's not on my DMV record. Should I still say yes?

For the speeding ticket question, I received one about 3 years ago (for going 75 on the freeway where speed limit is 65), but I paid the ticket and did the traffic school for it, so technically it's not on my DMV record. Should I still say yes?
I would.

I was hoping that they would change the second essay, but alas. I've been thinking about that one for a while and I don't know how to answer it. I'm wondering if I could somehow modify my traditional diversity essay (which is about growing up as one of the few POC in Vermont) and make it fit their prompt?

I was hoping that they would change the second essay, but alas. I've been thinking about that one for a while and I don't know how to answer it. I'm wondering if I could somehow modify my traditional diversity essay (which is about growing up as one of the few POC in Vermont) and make it fit their prompt?

Without knowing the details of your traditional diversity essay, I think you could probably spin it to talk about what you learned from white Vermonters. Just because the question mentions that diversity extends beyond identity doesn't mean you can't write about identity if it applies.

Are there any current students available to answer questions?

1. What do you think about the integrated curriculum? What is the weekly schedule like? What kinds of events are required?

2. How awful is the weather / winter in Burlington truly? What do people do for fun in the free time? What is the vibe of the area?

3. Research - do most students do bench research, clinical research, or none? Is there a competitive culture around research?

4. Any thoughts on the facilities for the school (preclinical) or affiliated hospitals? I heard it's beautiful but there are away rotations?

Reactions: 2 users
For the residency question, if I moved for college should I input that as a separate residency, even if my legal permanent residence is still my hometown?

Also, for the required courses, did you guys put the name of the course (e.g. "Equilibrium, Acids, and Bases") or the course code (e.g. "Chem 10A")?

Last edited:
For the courses, are yall just putting the minimum courses that satisfy the prereq, or are you listing them all? I took a ton of bio classes and im sure that's the same for many in this thread. curious if yall are listing every qualifying class

For the courses, are yall just putting the minimum courses that satisfy the prereq, or are you listing them all? I took a ton of bio classes and im sure that's the same for many in this thread. curious if yall are listing every qualifying class
I just put the minimum requirement. Im sure they will look at all the classes you took.

For the residency question, if I moved for college should I input that as a separate residency, even if my legal permanent residence is still my hometown?

Also, for the required courses, did you guys put the name of the course (e.g. "Equilibrium, Acids, and Bases") or the course code (e.g. "Chem 10A")?
I put my college years as a separate residency, so I have my college town sandwiched between my hometown, if that makes sense. I remember the example made it appear that a college town was listed separately so I just went for it, especially since for me my college town was significantly smaller than my hometown and I wanted to show that I've spent time in a more rural area.

I also just put the course code.

Need help on the challenging non-academic experience essay!

I'm sure if the story I want to write about is "non-academic." I wanted to write about how I was working full-time since my family was dependent on my paychecks to pay for bills. This made it difficult for me to balance my work/personal life and school. Would this count as non-academic since it is not necessarily talking about a challenge within a class or subject?

Need help on the challenging non-academic experience essay!

I'm sure if the story I want to write about is "non-academic." I wanted to write about how I was working full-time since my family was dependent on my paychecks to pay for bills. This made it difficult for me to balance my work/personal life and school. Would this count as non-academic since it is not necessarily talking about a challenge within a class or subject?

I would say so. Even though you're bringing up how it affected things like school it's still not an academic topic. It's not like you're talking about how hard you found the MCAT or something like that.

Without knowing the details of your traditional diversity essay, I think you could probably spin it to talk about what you learned from white Vermonters. Just because the question mentions that diversity extends beyond identity doesn't mean you can't write about identity if it applies.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I could make it work, although I'm not actually sure what I learned from white Vermonters. I've been trying to think of this, but nothing exactly comes to mind. I really want to finish this secondary too, since UVM is one of my top choices.

Another thought that randomly came to me is talking about my experience working "as a ski bum" which I did for a little while after college. I've always been a person who is "looking towards the next thing" which is good because it keeps me ambitious but often leads to me not fully appreciating the moment. While bumming it out a bit, I met a ton of people who were just truly content with their situation. Sure we might not have had prestigious jobs or anything, but we were in an awesome location, living a life that a lot of people dream about. I was often thinking towards the future, while they were just happy being in the mountains. I've been trying to adopt their viewpoint a little bit, while still working towards my goals of course. Not sure if that would work, but its a thought.