2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed in third week of Feb.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone see that they recently updated the cost of attendance and it has DRAMATICALLY increased on the financial page?

The first year cost of attendance is $79,632 for IS and $126,810 for OOS. The tuition and fees alone are $98,538 for M1 OOS.

Were there tuition/fees for the "summer" between M3/M4 before?

The estimated tuition/fees (not including COL) for 4 years for OOS is $329,400 (or $82,400 per year)

Am I reading this right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Did anyone see that they recently updated the cost of attendance and it has DRAMATICALLY increased on the financial page?

The first year cost of attendance is $79,632 for IS and $126,810 for OOS. The tuition and fees alone are $98,538 for M1 OOS.

The estimated tuition/fees (not including COL) for 4 years for OOS is $329,400 (or $82,400 per year)

Am I reading this right?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile[/QUOT

You might be reading it wrong. Im pretty sure it went down not up

Am I reading this right?

yes you read it wrong. it went down a little bit compared to last year, but still high nontheless

Am I reading this right?

first year IS should be 34,227 minus COL, with cost of living it should be around 55,000 for the first year.
first year OOS should be 65,679 minus COL, with cost of living it should be around 86,000 for the first year.

Obviously the summers when we have class itll be more expensive.

Is summer mandatory?

I have no idea. I know the schedule they gave us during interview shows that we have summers off during M1 and M4 but not sure for M2 and M3. Also, that information was outdated because it was showing the tuition cost for last year which was higher so i dont know how much to go by that.

Whooo I was worried for a second there. Glad the prices dropped to something more manageable.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who still have a "decision pending" status in their online portal...do you guys think this means that we're waitlisted? Does anybody want to call Gary and ask lol (poor Gary)

Reactions: 1 user
I was told most people were either going to get accepted or denied but my status didn't change either.

Reactions: 1 users
It seems as though the people that were accepted yesterday interviewed in February, so maybe they only reviewed the applicants that interviewed before March/April?

It seems as though the people that were accepted yesterday interviewed in February, so maybe they only reviewed the applicants that interviewed before March/April?

I interviewed 2/1 at Chicago and haven't heard back at all, should I take this as a waitlist? People who have interviewed weeks after me have gotten a response before me.

Last edited:
I interviewed 2/1 at Chicago and haven't heard back at all, should I take this as a waitlist? People who have interviewed weeks after me have gotten a response before me.
Yeah i interviewed 2/6 no response yet. I think they are overwhelmed and havent gotten to apps or something because it seems like they havent even rejected anyone which is odd. I dont expect anything until May 1st and onwards..which sucks since they promised first week of March for my interview day.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah i interviewed 2/6 no response yet. I think they are overwhelmed and havent gotten to apps or something because it seems like they havent even rejected anyone which is odd. I dont expect anything until May 1st and onwards..which sucks since they promised first week of March for my interview day.

UPDATE: so I interviewed in Peoria on 2/23 and didn't have any status change/email yesterday so I called admissions today and talked to a woman (Gary is out of the office lol good call man), she said that they will be sending out decisions every day until the end of next week so it doesn't mean anything about whether you got accepted they just have a lot of applicants to review because they didn't review anybody at the march meeting

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah so after going to Second Look today I believe my original interpretation was correct.

Gotta love that mandatory summer tuition.

Estimated $98,538 tuition and fees for M1 OOS. Wayyyy more then the $75k on MSAR.

Their breakdown of costs for COA doesn't even include health insurance fees so maybe it's more.

How was second look? What was the general vibe? Any new information about aid/curriculum/etc...?

How was second look? What was the general vibe? Any new information about aid/curriculum/etc...?

Great question. Can anyone that went to second look, talk a bit about thier experince

UPDATE: so I interviewed in Peoria on 2/23 and didn't have any status change/email yesterday so I called admissions today and talked to a woman (Gary is out of the office lol good call man), she said that they will be sending out decisions every day until the end of next week so it doesn't mean anything about whether you got accepted they just have a lot of applicants to review because they didn't review anybody at the march meeting
Did anyone get accepted or a status change yesterday?

Yeah so after going to Second Look today I believe my original interpretation was correct.

Gotta love that mandatory summer tuition.

Estimated $98,538 tuition and fees for M1 OOS. Wayyyy more then the $75k on MSAR.

Their breakdown of costs for COA doesn't even include health insurance fees so maybe it's more.

It is mandatory? So if you did a global health exp. or research elsewhere you'd still have to pay? Or can we not do these typical experiences during M1 summer with the new curriculum? I can't find the new curriculum map online. However, there is a sheet of paper they gave us during our interview labeled "Schematic Outline of Phase 1 Courses" that makes it seems like we would have 8 weeks off in the summer. At the same time the labeling of the outline makes it seem as if we do have courses in the early summer so maybe that's why there is a mandatory tuition? But 15k for a few weeks seems steep. I can call next week to make sure though.

It is mandatory? So if you did a global health exp. or research elsewhere you'd still have to pay? Or can we not do these typical experiences during M1 summer with the new curriculum? I can't find the new curriculum map online. However, there is a sheet of paper they gave us during our interview labeled "Schematic Outline of Phase 1 Courses" that makes it seems like we would have 8 weeks off in the summer. At the same time the labeling of the outline makes it seem as if we do have courses in the early summer so maybe that's why there is a mandatory tuition? But 15k for a few weeks seems steep. I can call next week to make sure though.

Yeah if you look at last years tuition, the summer tuition was less than what it was for a full semester. I hope that's the case this year cause I don't know how they can justify full tutition for 2 months instead of 4.

Does anyone know how successful the attempts to appeal a location shift end up working out? I was placed on the Rockford campus and would prefer the Chicago campus. I have a legitimate reason to want to shift to Chicago and am just curious if it ever works out.

Does anyone know how successful the attempts to appeal a location shift end up working out? I was placed on the Rockford campus and would prefer the Chicago campus. I have a legitimate reason to want to shift to Chicago and am just curious if it ever works out.

No idea but how do you go about appealing? Just curious

Did anyone else not hear back from Urban Medicine....They said I was going to hear back my march, but I never did. Maybe I got a silent rejection

Did anyone else not hear back from Urban Medicine....They said I was going to hear back my march, but I never did. Maybe I got a silent rejection

Their interviews were only during Second Look Day (this past Friday). If you didn't hear with an invitation, then you're probably no longer in consideration, unfortunately.

The outline for the curriculum presentation during second week indicated the 7 weeks of GI/Renal/Endocrine block and 1 week synthesis would take place during the first half of the summer term. The second half of the summer term (8 weeks) we'd have off to do whatever we want (research, travel, fun). The associate dean giving the presentation indicated that terms are charged as a 16 week increment.

The "Cost" section of the financial page indicates this would be $30k+ for those 7 weeks.

The outline for the curriculum presentation during second week indicated the 7 weeks of GI/Renal/Endocrine block and 1 week synthesis would take place during the first half of the summer term. The second half of the summer term (8 weeks) we'd have off to do whatever we want (research, travel, fun). The associate dean giving the presentation indicated that terms are charged as a 16 week increment.

The "Cost" section of the financial page indicates this would be $30k+ for those 7 weeks.

If they're charging tuition as 16 week increments then shouldn't the summer term be half the tuition? I don't understand why we have to pay for the other 8 weeks we won't be having classes. That's ridiculous.

Do you mind giving more info about second look?

Do you mind giving more info about second look?
Here you go-hope this is helpful.

tldr; they have support (tutoring, career health, etc) if you reach out, they like research, the current M1s are great, new curriculum looks promising, building is old but has some pretty parts.

They started out the day talking about what support they offered through the office of student affairs, residency preparednes etc. In sum, they have review sessions for every class taught by peer tutors, they have small group and one on one tutoring if you need it/ask for it (one med student who is a mom and can't stay late for the review sessions said she asked for and got a personal anatomy tutor). They assign you two different advisors to help you with your residency plans, help you find mentors in your potential speciality, can review your cv, personal statement, and give your practice residency interviews.

There was a current M3 that talked but honestly I don't remember anything she said besides if you want to get involved in student government and work with the school on curriculum, academic affairs etc. you should.

Then a very enthusiastic surgeon Dr. Bartholomew talked a whole lot about research. If it was up to her, everyone would be doing research. They have a couple of different internal funding things you can apply for for M1 summer, but you can also go elsewhere (personal opinion-don't know how plausible that will be because the new schedule has us in school much later).

During lunch, a lot of med students came to answer questions and talk a lot about their experiences. In my room they talked a lot about treating school like a job, making med school fit into your life not your life fit into med school, how they found mentors for research-email pi's, apply for funding, be happy, and what student organizations they joined-do the things you want to do and volunteer with patients that remind you why you are going to med school.

Then they had a presentation on curriculum. I can't remember all the details, but it is a HUGE difference from the current curriculum. It's set into approximately 8 week long blocks and is structured by organ system. They said they are trying to make the schedule more predictable. The M1 year goes over a month later than the current M1 year, but there are two two week breaks during the year. The current plan has the class finishing M2 year basic science courses in 18 months, and then has a built in 6 week block to study for Step1.

I can't remember the amount, but lectures are built into the week but attendance is not mandatory and they will be recorded. The required attendance courses are anatomy labs, 1-2 half day how to be a doctor clinical classes per week and there are also small group case based tbls similar to the current set up. At the end of each week there will be a quiz worth less than an exam on some of that week's material. He explained it as a way to help people stay on top of things, while also figuring out how to study without the dramatic consequences of bombing an exam. At the end of each block there is a week long "Synthesis" week where you have more personal study time, these more career focused or interest focused "colloquia," and time to meet with advisors. I'm not quite sure where exactly exams fit, either at regular intervals, or at the end of the block.
They are also introducing a required prematriculation self assessment online that will be available in July. It should be about forty hours of science review that the hope is will help students get back into the studying mindset as well as reviews basic concepts so classes can start more complex stuff earlier.

Then there was a student panel which was basically calm yourself-you'll be fine, tell your mom you are busy but you'll call her, don't get sick but if you do people will help you, and work hard but don't forget yourself.

The day ended with a tour of the building.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anybody know U of I's policy about the April 30 deadline? I heard there is some variation between schools regarding penalties about holding acceptances after April 30

Generally you need a pretty decent reason (medical issue, spouse's job can't transfer, taking care of family, etc). If it's just for personal reasons (don't want to leave friends, etc) you're very unlikely to be successful, especially wanting to go to Chicago.

Does anyone know if you have to accept University of Illinois before you know which campus you're in? Seems like for people with another medical school acceptance it's hard to commit to U of I (and lose your place at another medical school) before you know which campus you'll be in.

Does anyone know if you have to accept University of Illinois before you know which campus you're in? Seems like for people with another medical school acceptance it's hard to commit to U of I (and lose your place at another medical school) before you know which campus you'll be in.

Try calling and asking, maybe they'll let you know. Which campus are you hoping for?

Random question, but as someone deciding between this school and one or two others, how do we actually withdraw our acceptances from a school?

Has anyone called and asked about what a pending decision still means for us?

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone called and asked about what a pending decision still means for us?

Has this been confirmed? Was this a counselor? No one heard back on Friday or had a status change so I was unsure. Or are they just going to meet again this Thursday.

Has this been confirmed? Was this a counselor? No one heard back on Friday or had a status change so I was unsure. Or are they just going to meet again this Thursday.
Maybe they didn't Friday but oN Thursday people heard pretty late in the day, so let's see how today goes.

Reactions: 3 users