2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just spoke to a very kind lady who said that many applications (including mine) were reviewed this past week and deferred to the April meeting for a final decision. But then she said I could call a Gary late next week for a better update. Mixed signals to say the least.
Ah lol, I haven't seen anyone from mid/late Feb-March report that they had a decision made. Obviously we have a small portion of everyone who interviewed here on SDN, but still, I think if they made any decision at all someone would have reported something in the past almost 2 months. I feel like we weren't "deferred" I simply think they just didn't meet. Plus, when they defer you, they send you an email telling you, I've seen some people report that on here.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just spoke to a very kind lady who said that many applications (including mine) were reviewed this past week and deferred to the April meeting for a final decision. But then she said I could call a Gary late next week for a better update. Mixed signals to say the least.

....so if no one received a status update so far and no one does, this would mean that they looked at a bunch of applications and decided to not make a decision on anyone? What would be the point of having a meeting in the first place? lol

Reactions: 1 users
Just received a UMed interview invitation this morning, but I haven't even been accepted to UIC. Still "Decision Pending." Fingers crossed for us all!

Congrats. This sounds like really good news. What if the UMED knows you are already accepted, but you haven't gotten the official acceptance. I hope you get in. Goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats. This sounds like really good news. What if the UMED knows you are already accepted, but you haven't gotten the official acceptance. I hope you get in. Goodluck
Thanks, but I highly doubt it. As much as I'd like to believe that's the case they mentioned in the invitation that acceptance to UMed is contingent on upon acceptance to the college, which is not influenced by the UMed interview results. Guess I'll just keep waiting!

So much for hearing back by the end of March... They said we would hear back by now during the 2/17 interview date.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys this is probably a dumb question but how do we go about knowing whether we qualify or not for the GradPLUS loans and how we can apply for these. I dont remember financial aid discussing this in any of my interviews. I know the direct loan is automatic and I already know how much Im going to receive per year but I'm not sure how to go about obtaining the rest from GradPLUS. Thank you!

Hey guys this is probably a dumb question but how do we go about knowing whether we qualify or not for the GradPLUS loans and how we can apply for these. I dont remember financial aid discussing this in any of my interviews. I know the direct loan is automatic and I already know how much Im going to receive per year but I'm not sure how to go about obtaining the rest from GradPLUS. Thank you!

Log into your portal and check to see if it's on your award letter. If it is there, you'll have to fill out the MPN from FAFSA (there's a link in the award letter itself). I think that's all that has to be done.

"We would like to let you know that your application is still under consideration and that as soon as we complete the interview process in March we will have an update for you. We know that this is a very strenuous time for you, but were hoping to alleviate some of the stress by letting you know that you are in a very select group of excellent individuals under active consideration to become a member of our Fall 2017 class. Thank you for your interest in the University of Illinois College of Medicine." - Sent on February 3rd

March has ended and I'm stressed

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks, but I highly doubt it. As much as I'd like to believe that's the case they mentioned in the invitation that acceptance to UMed is contingent on upon acceptance to the college, which is not influenced by the UMed interview results. Guess I'll just keep waiting!
Seems like a bunch of wasted time on both ends if they don't accept you

Log into your portal and check to see if it's on your award letter. If it is there, you'll have to fill out the MPN from FAFSA (there's a link in the award letter itself). I think that's all that has to be done.

that's the thing too I don't even have the link to check my portal. :( what a mess.

"We would like to let you know that your application is still under consideration and that as soon as we complete the interview process in March we will have an update for you. We know that this is a very strenuous time for you, but were hoping to alleviate some of the stress by letting you know that you are in a very select group of excellent individuals under active consideration to become a member of our Fall 2017 class. Thank you for your interest in the University of Illinois College of Medicine." - Sent on February 3rd

March has ended and I'm stressed
I think they didn't anticipate to extend the interview cycle when they sent you this. Interviews didn't end in March, I think someone else posted on here that there's a date on April 10th or so. I hope you hear back soon :)

The link is in the award letter notification sent via email
Ahhhh ok. Yeah I haven't received that yet. I just replied to my acceptance packet because it had originally been sent back to the school when they had my address wrong. You are very kind, thank you!

Does anyone here have to do the summer pre-matriculation program in Chicago during the summer? I was wondering if anyone had heard from previous students who had done it about how rigorous the program is and how much it weighs on your application even after you've accepted into the med school. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
So what's the consensus on when we should hear back or when the commitment met/is going to meet?

Does anyone here have to do the summer pre-matriculation program in Chicago during the summer? I was wondering if anyone had heard from previous students who had done it about how rigorous the program is and how much it weighs on your application even after you've accepted into the med school. :/

I was wondering if the summer premarticulation program is for students on conditional acceptance only. Do you think it is optional, and any admitted student can participate or is it for selected students....also how does a person know they are doing the program? Do they get notified on the acceptance letter?

Last edited:
Ahhhh ok. Yeah I haven't received that yet. I just replied to my acceptance packet because it had originally been sent back to the school when they had my address wrong. You are very kind, thank you!

Sorry, it is not in the email itself, but there is a link in the email that will take you to the UIC portal. Once your on the portal you can view your award. At the near bottom of the award page, you'll see the link.

I was wondering if the summer premarticulation program is for students on conditional acceptance only. Do you think it is optional, and any admitted student can participate or is it for selected students....also how does a person know they are doing the program? Do they get notified on the acceptance letter?

It's only for selected students and they say that your acceptance is based on how well you perform. You have to have a minimum pass level in order be considered which is annoying to deal with after you have been accepted

Sorry, it is not in the email itself, but there is a link in the email that will take you to the UIC portal. Once your on the portal you can view your award. At the near bottom of the award page, you'll see the link.
Ok I will wait for the email and go from there. Hopefully it answers all my questions lol. Thank you!

M
It's only for selected students and they say that your acceptance is based on how well you perform. You have to have a minimum pass level in order be considered which is annoying to deal with after you have been accepted

uhhh, Hopefully it goes well for people in the program.

FYI: Received an email today from GMED placing me on their waitlist for an interview. The email said they may schedule future interview dates for the program.

We appreciate your interest in the UIC College of Medicine Global
Medicine (GMED) Program.

We wanted to let you know that at this time, the GMED admissions committee
has placed you on a wait list for an interview. If we are able to schedule
an additional interview date, we will let you know via email.

We hope you continue to pursue your interest in Global Health, and we
wish you the best in your future careers.

Have an afternoon interview scheduled for IMED which is pleasant.

So what's the consensus on when we should hear back or when the commitment met/is going to meet?
Everyone is hearing different things when they call admissions, apparently.

I called yesterday and She said the committee met on Thursday but if your application is still "decision pending", then you will have to wait until next decision. Apparently some decisions have already came out from March 30th and some decisions were postponed.

I called yesterday and She said the committee met on Thursday but if your application is still "decision pending", then you will have to wait until next decision. Apparently some decisions have already came out from March 30th and some decisions were postponed.

I find it a bit strange that if they did indeed meet at the end of March, that no one on this forum, from the tens and tens of people that interviewed in the past month and a half (and those that were deferred in earlier months), heard any sort of news of an acceptance or deferral until the next meeting. Maybe it's possible that anybody who got accepted or has gotten a deferral email does not post on this forum or just elected not to post, but heck what do I know. Has nobody gotten a deferral email saying that they were deferred until the next decision meeting?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I find it a bit strange that if they did indeed meet at the end of March, that no one on this forum, from the tens and tens of people that interviewed in the past month and a half (and those that were deferred in earlier months), heard any sort of news of an acceptance or deferral until the next meeting. Maybe it's possible that anybody who got accepted or has gotten a deferral email does not post on this forum or just elected not to post, but heck what do I know. Has nobody gotten a deferral email saying that they were deferred until the next decision meeting?

Nope absolutely nothing since 3/3. I just spoke to the Admissions Office though and they said to do what some of you have already done-contact Gary on Thursday for more info.

Hey all - lowkey lurker here. I have an interview scheduled for this coming Monday at UIC; is it worth going at this point? Or would it just be an interview for the waitlist? I'm OOS and already accepted at my own state school, so I'm kind of leaning towards cancelling right now (partially because of price, partially because I'm lazy and don't want to do another interview haha). It seems like a great program though and I don't want to regret giving up the opportunity.

Hey all - lowkey lurker here. I have an interview scheduled for this coming Monday at UIC; is it worth going at this point? Or would it just be an interview for the waitlist? I'm OOS and already accepted at my own state school, so I'm kind of leaning towards cancelling right now (partially because of price, partially because I'm lazy and don't want to do another interview haha). It seems like a great program though and I don't want to regret giving up the opportunity.
You can call and ask if they're interviewing for the waitlist!

Honestly, you're probably not gonna hear about an acceptance/WL to this school for a LONG time if you interview now. If you follow the thread there are so many of us who have been left hanging without an answer for a couple months or even longer as there hasn't really been any movement from this school. Absolute silence, period, which is way worse than being placed on a waitlist. Imagine how many people they'd have to review before they get to you. At this point they're probably just waiting for traffic day and hoping that people self-eliminate so they don't have to review their app. lol. If you're at peace with your in-state school and the **much** lower tuition, then I'd call it a day and stick with that, unless there's something in particular that's drawing you to UIC. Good luck deciding though!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Who wants to call Gary today :angelic:

Hey guys! Just got off the phone with Gary at admissions, and he said that not a single decision was made in the March meeting. He said that the remainder of applicants who haven't heard anything will be reviewed in the April meeting, which will be either the 3rd or 4th week of April but we will definitely all hear before the April 30th deadline. So...keep waiting people!!! He said that basically they're waiting for people holding spots at multiple schools to say no to them so they can fill their spots. That being said: if you're holding multiple spots, PLEASE pick a school so the rest of us can get in!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Who wants to call Gary today :angelic:
I called. I was told that the committee didn't make any decisions on any March or mid-Feb interviews and that I (we?) can expect a decision the next time they meet - which would be this month "in a couple of weeks". *facepalm*

I called. I was told that the committee didn't make any decisions on any March or mid-Feb interviews and that I (we?) can expect a decision the next time they meet - which would be this month "in a couple of weeks". *facepalm*
This poor guy. I just called and he gave me the same speech haha

Reactions: 3 users
Can any M2 or M1 students speak to the GMED interview?

I received the interview invite this week :soexcited:and it's a program I'm extremely interested in. I'm trying to anticipate the interview style and the kind of questions they might be asking.
bumping this :)

Does anybody know how to withdraw an acceptance?

Whoever helps me gets my Chicago spot :)

Reactions: 4 users
Does anybody know how to withdraw an acceptance?

Whoever helps me gets my Chicago spot :)

There should be the option to withdraw in the accepted student portal page. That option is displayed in all of the schools that have accepted me. If you don't see that option/don't have access to any sort of portal then you can just email the admissions office.

Is there an official facebook group??? It seems like the current one is filled with mainly m1 from the previous class and future m1s from other schools. It's a little frustrating

There should be the option to withdraw in the accepted student portal page. That option is displayed in all of the schools that have accepted me. If you don't see that option/don't have access to any sort of portal then you can just email the admissions office.

Which was the accepted student portal? I feel like they gave us a bunch of portals, I'm not even sure which one to use anymore. The one that had the "In progress/in process/etc" does not seem to have that option.

For those of you have been accepted, I had a couple of questions.

1. One of the pre-enrollment requirement is sending them our transcript. Which address do we use?
2. The other pre-enrollment requirement is the Hep-B form. Where do you access this?
3. Any recommendation on how to best/cheaply receive immunization titer tests for the CB requirements? I have Aetna for insurance, but I can't seem to find information on whether titer tests are covered for the vaccinations they have listed on CB.

For those of you have been accepted, I had a couple of questions.

1. One of the pre-enrollment requirement is sending them our transcript. Which address do we use?
2. The other pre-enrollment requirement is the Hep-B form. Where do you access this?
3. Any recommendation on how to best/cheaply receive immunization titer tests for the CB requirements? I have Aetna for insurance, but I can't seem to find information on whether titer tests are covered for the vaccinations they have listed on CB.

1) I sent mines to the admissions office address found on thier website.

2) Hep B form i.e immunizations is found via castlebranch. You will need the UIC code when making an account.

3) not sure

I was able to get a student discount by showing my student ID at "The Vaccine Center" in Chicago.

Send the transcript to the admissions address found on the website.

Ignore the Hep B status. Just use castlebranch.

Does anyone know anything about the UMed interview format?

Does anyone know anything about the UMed interview format?
Asked an M1 friend: one interview with current umed member(s), nothing outrageous just basic questions ie. why you want to do umed (don't answer I want to be in Chicago not Rockford), commitment to under-served communities, etc.

Have any of you guys completed the Master Promissory Note or the Entrance Counseling forms yet? Or have been asked to?

Have any of you guys completed the Master Promissory Note or the Entrance Counseling forms yet? Or have been asked to?

The MPN you have to do on your own by following instructions bottom of award letter. MPN is only for the grad plus. And you must do entrance counseling. Otherwise they won't disburse the money when the time comes, in August.

The MPN you have to do on your own by following instructions bottom of award letter. MPN is only for the grad plus. And you must do entrance counseling. Otherwise they won't disburse the money when the time comes, in August.

actually i was told by one school that the MPN has to be done for both the grad plus loan and the direct loan but im not sure if that is the same for every school. But thanks!

actually i was told by one school that the MPN has to be done for both the grad plus loan and the direct loan but im not sure if that is the same for every school. But thanks!

Also, I noticed you had questions about SPP. It's invite only and not everyone who is in SPP is conditionally admitted. There are students who opt to do the program to solidify their science prior to fall.

In terms of how rigorous the program is, VERY. I completed it last summer and it is very intense, but also very helpful for certain classes depending on your science background. SPP is hard because of the fast pace, but it is not as intense as medical school; it's a nice preview to the work ahead.

PM me if you have any more questions!