2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, I noticed you had questions about SPP. It's invite only and not everyone who is in SPP is conditionally admitted. There are students who opt to do the program to solidify their science prior to fall.

In terms of how rigorous the program is, VERY. I completed it last summer and it is very intense, but also very helpful for certain classes depending on your science background. SPP is hard because of the fast pace, but it is not as intense as medical school; it's a nice preview to the work ahead.

PM me if you have any more questions!
Thank you I will :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone speak to what the IMED interview is like or what to expect?

Asked an M1 friend: one interview with current umed member(s), nothing outrageous just basic questions ie. why you want to do umed (don't answer I want to be in Chicago not Rockford), commitment to under-served communities, etc.

Thanks! Open file?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm withdrawing my application, post-interview. Haven't heard back yet, but I've already been accepted to another school that I really want to attend. I hope that helps bump some people up on the acceptance list/waitlist. Cheers, folks!

Reactions: 5 users
I got placed in Rockford :yuck:. Anyone else going here?

I will be going to the Rockford campus and I'm quite excited about it!

1. Affordable living (can find 2 bedrooms for <$800)

2. Plenty of forest preserves and a state park (Rock Cut State Park)

3. Not too far from Chicago hospitals (I've head that we may apply to rotate in Chicago without it counting as an "away" rotation)

4. Lack of residencies (besides family medicine) may allow for more exposure and experience.

Reasons 3 and 4 I'll verify at Second Look.

Is there a Facebook page for the Rockford students?

I don't believe there is a FB group/page.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

3. Not too far from Chicago hospitals (I've head that we may apply to rotate in Chicago without it counting as an "away" rotation)

4. Lack of residencies (besides family medicine) may allow for more exposure and experience.

Hey Thanks for this! One more question? Do you know what the actual cost of attendance is for OOS including financial expenses? Cause my husband has a total of 86000 a year on his award letter but that seems little to me according to the info they gave us on interview day. I don't have anything info for me yet cause my acceptance packet arrived late :/.

Yeah sorry to be confusing. My reply is all the way at the bottom. Lol

do you knw then if the chicago page is possibly shared with the rockford students?

do you knw then if the chicago page is possibly shared with the rockford students?

You could go on the Chicago fb page and ask if they'll create a separate, official one for Rockford. Or maybe you (or someone else) could just create one for Rockford since an incoming M1 made one for Peoria (see below). I'm sure people would appreciate it.

Now that I think about it, last year the admins at Urbana created the group for UPR students. They were extremely organized and shared a ton of information. I guess since Urbana's gone now, no one really took over the job of creating fb pages for the other campuses.

BTW, it's a bummer that you didn't get the campus you wanted, but, hey, you got into med school! How awesome is that? :)

For those of you accepted to the Peoria campus, fellow M1's have created a Facebook page: Log into Facebook | Facebook

You could go on the Chicago fb page and ask if they'll create a separate, official one for Rockford. Or maybe you (or someone else) could just create one for Rockford since an incoming M1 made one for Peoria (see below). I'm sure people would appreciate it.

Now that I think about it, last year the admins at Urbana created the group for UPR students. They were extremely organized and shared a ton of information. I guess since Urbana's gone now, no one really took over the job of creating fb pages for the other campuses.

BTW, it's a bummer that you didn't get the campus you wanted, but, hey, you got into med school! How awesome is that? :)

you are so right. Gotta learn to count my blessings. Yeah I will go about setting up a page if one has not been set up yet. thanks :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!!! Here's the link for the Rockford accepted students. Another student was nice enough to make it for us.

or University of Illinois College of Medicine Class of 2021 in Rockford.

Last edited:
Yeah sorry to be confusing. My reply is all the way at the bottom. Lol

On a sheet they gave me on interview day, it says $99,096 for M1 OOS. Are you and your husband both starting medical school at UIC?

On a sheet they gave me on interview day, it says $99,096 for M1 OOS. Are you and your husband both starting medical school at UIC?

Yeah that's what mine says too but the tuition has changed to the best of my knowledge. We might we might not. He might go to a different school.

Has anybody heard back about interview times for CE-Med? I emailed them my preference for time slot, but haven't gotten any response.

Has anybody heard back about interview times for CE-Med? I emailed them my preference for time slot, but haven't gotten any response.

Yes, I got an email on April 12 with a specific interview date and time for CE-Med. This was for an onsite interview. I don't know what's going on for the remote/phone interviews though.

Can anyone speak to what the IMED interview is like or what to expect?

Current M1 in IMED here, the interviews should be during second look day, this Friday. I dressed business casual (dress shirt with tie and slacks) but one or two had a suit, so whatever makes you feel more comfortable. The interview is one on one with a faculty member. I would recommend looking at the website Innovation Medicine Program (IMED) - University of Illinois... to become familiar with what the program entails. It has only existed for two years, so it is difficult for us to answer questions on the capstone projects that we will do M4 year. The interview itself is relaxed and very similar to the med school interview. They will ask you to tell them about yourself (no surprise), expand on what you answered in the IMED application, and what your involvement in the program will help you achieve. Also have some questions ready at the end for them. We are currently in the last two weeks of finals so if we take longer to respond to messages, I apologize on behalf of the class. But shoot me any questions you may have and I'll try my best to get back to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think we might hear back this Thursday/Friday?

Reactions: 4 users

Willing to bet no, since second look is 4/21 and since more applicants might withdraw their acceptances as this month progresses. Just me trying to justify what might be another week of disappointment lol

Last edited:

When I talked to Gary a couple weeks back he said they'd be meeting the 4th Thursday of April, so no probably not!

Reactions: 1 users
When I talked to Gary a couple weeks back he said they'd be meeting the 4th Thursday of April, so no probably not!

When I talked to Gary he said that we'd hear the third OR fourth week of April. I'm really hoping it's today because it would be pretty inconsiderate for them to tell us 3 DAYS before the April 30th deadline...but then again the entire application process with this school has been outrageously inconsiderate and disorganized so who knows?!!

When I talked to Gary he said that we'd hear the third OR fourth week of April. I'm really hoping it's today because it would be pretty inconsiderate for them to tell us 3 DAYS before the April 30th deadline...but then again the entire application process with this school has been outrageously inconsiderate and disorganized so who knows?!!
Yes. I just spoke to him and he said the same thing. They possibly will meet today or next week. Either way, they will make final decisions and will let everyone know about their status.

Withdrew my acceptance earlier this week; best of luck to all, especially those on the waitlist! :)

Reactions: 3 users

I actually didnt think Illinois was so bad with the admissions process. I also got an interview at Indiana and I still havent heard from them.

I received an acceptance email 30 mins ago. :highfive: Super excited!! Can anyone tell me the time in which second look starts/ends tomorrow? As well as the specific location in which it begins on the Chicago campus?

I received an e-mail notice of admission too, but there is no indication of the campus. Is it typical for them to grant admission without telling you what campus?

I received an e-mail notice of admission too, but there is no indication of the campus. Is it typical for them to grant admission without telling you what campus?

no you will receive a separate letter with the campus assessment.

no you will receive a separate letter with the campus assessment.
Thanks. The e-mail said that they would be sending a letter confirming my admission. So I assume that the campus assignment will be in that letter?

Here's hoping they offer another batch of acceptances next Thursday. Just wish they'd do a waitlist like every other civilized school!

Thanks. The e-mail said that they would be sending a letter confirming my admission. So I assume that the campus assignment will be in that letter?

no :/. the admissions packet will contain the admission letter and information about vaccines and other forms that you have to fill out and return ASAP. A few a weeks after that youll get your campus assignment. At least that has been my experience. They also got my address wrong so it took a long time for me to get my acceptance packet so I dont really know exactly how long it will take.

From my understanding they send you a card to rank your campus preferences. You send that card back in and then they notify you of which campus you were placed in.

Still decision pending what the hell?!?!? :(

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when orientation/white coat ceremony is for Chicago or Rockford?

Didn't receive an acceptance today but my status online hasn't changed. Maybe they only got through some people today and others may come in tomorrow? I would hope to see some kind of change on my status.

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats!! :)

Do you see a status change on your portal?
I received an acceptance email 30 mins ago. :highfive: Super excited!! Can anyone tell me the time in which second look starts/ends tomorrow? As well as the specific location in which it begins on the Chicago campus?

Would you mind telling me where/when you interviewed?

Congrats!! Not sure if it's okay to publicly post the Second Look details so I just PM'ed you the details.