2016-2017 University of Illinois Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ditto, interviewed in October. Lol I waited for 6 months, whats a few more? :smack:

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 3/3 and was waitlisted. I'm thinking that at this point they just waitlisted or rejected everyone who interviewed March-April.. hanging in there :)

UMed Decisions just went out. Accepting that Chicago campus transfer, so that leaves open another Rockford spot. Best wishes to all the WL'd applicants, really hope to see you on the other side soon enough!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you post what they say if you call?

So I just got off of the phone with them and they said they can't tell us when they'll start seeing movement off the waitlist, when they'll stop moving people off of the waitlist, or how many people they expect to move off. They said that we should all be receiving letters in the mail with more information by the end of the week if you're in state, but maybe longer if you're out of state.

Reactions: 2 users
So I just got off of the phone with them and they said they can't tell us when they'll start seeing movement off the waitlist, when they'll stop moving people off of the waitlist, or how many people they expect to move off. They said that we should all be receiving letters in the mail with more information by the end of the week if you're in state, but maybe longer if you're out of state.
Is the waitlist ranked by chance?

UMed Decisions just went out. Accepting that Chicago campus transfer, so that leaves open another Rockford spot. Best wishes to all the WL'd applicants, really hope to see you on the other side soon enough!
Congrats!

Reactions: 1 user
How funny and very in character for the process so far with UI! We can't tell you much, but when we do tell you, it will be via one of the slowest methods for communication we still use on a daily basis. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm happy for the info.

Waitlisted, interviewed 3/3 in Rockford. Whatever, I'll be matriculating somewhere where the price tag is friendlier to OOS. Good luck everyone!

Is anybody else still decision pending..... I am losing my patience with this school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looks like they split folks into quartiles in previous years. Folks seemed to find out via an official waitlist email. Here's hoping that trend holds. Need more data!
Do you mean the quartiles by how well of an applicant we are?

Do you mean the quartiles by how well of an applicant we are?
Essentially, yes. It's supposed to be the case that the first quartile would be accepted off the list first, then second, and so on. They do factor in demographics, etc., so it's not perfect.

I'm still "application in process". Honestly, I don't even care anymore coz I'll be going to med school abroad (for free!) and it happens to be in partnership with UIC, so I will have the option to do some of my electives there. Though at this point I will likely pick a different school since the way UIC treats its applicants is so unprofessional. You'd think the application fee would cover a few email updates. -.-

Does anybody have any success stories about getting campus placement switched after petition?

They seriously said they'll send it via mail? I think they have my old address still. Considering how long they've taken to get back to some people on here, they should definitely send out emails.

anyone wanna call gary today? :D
I would be interested to hear if anyone did too! Being on the West Coast and working makes calling a bit tough. Thanks to anyone who has more info!

Just gave up my spot here for an IS school. Also accepted to CE-Med and waitlisted for UMed. Hope it goes to one of you here. Best wishes, everyone!

Was able to call today on my break. Got the same info as acetominoFINE, with two small extra tidbits. Firstly, they do not accept letters of intent (no way of getting them to the admissions committee). Secondly, she seemed to suggest that by being on the wait list at this point we are either first or second quartile, with the implication being that 3rd and 4th quartiles go rejections. So, if your letter says second quartile, there may be hope, but it's really like saying bottom half of the wait list (and second quartile of those not offered outright acceptances). At least that's the impression I got.

Was able to call today on my break. Got the same info as acetominoFINE, with two small extra tidbits. Firstly, they do not accept letters of intent (no way of getting them to the admissions committee). Secondly, she seemed to suggest that by being on the wait list at this point we are either first or second quartile, with the implication being that 3rd and 4th quartiles go rejections. So, if your letter says second quartile, there may be hope, but it's really like saying bottom half of the wait list (and second quartile of those not offered outright acceptances). At least that's the impression I got.

So if my letter says bottom half I am second quartile? Or does this mean I'm third or fourth

So if my letter says bottom half I am second quartile? Or does this mean I'm third or fourth

He means that they will send us a letter stating what quartile we're in and that 3rd/4th quartile are basically a rejection since they are so far down the list. Meaning 2nd quartile will actually be 2nd half and 1st quartile will be 1st half. If that makes sense.

My dad sent me a picture of the letter. Bottom half :(

He means that they will send us a letter stating what quartile we're in and that 3rd/4th quartile are basically a rejection since they are so far down the list. Meaning 2nd quartile will actually be 2nd half and 1st quartile will be 1st half. If that makes sense.

So are you saying there is a top/bottom half to the 1st quartile and a top/bottom half to the second quartile?

So are you saying there is a top/bottom half to the 1st quartile and a top/bottom half to the second quartile?
Top half is 1st/2nd quartile and bottom half is 3rd/4th quartile

Hmmm. Theres gotta be a decent chance that someone could get in from the 3rd or 4th quartile. Otherwise, they wouldn't even waitlist them.

Did anyone received financial aid/Does this school offer any aid or is it just all loans?

Just got off the phone with the financial aid office. They said all scholarships have already been extended by admissions (they only have enough for ~10 people).

Everything else from the institution is in loans. Summer is required. Their COA breakdown on the website doesn't include health insurance (~$4,000 per year). The total COA in their breakdown doesn't include a Summer term for either IS or OOS so the totals should be higher.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does it seem that everyone who has their status changed to waitList in the bottom half (3rd/4th quartile) and basically those with decision pending still are most likely the 1st and 2nd quartiles? I haven't seen anyone post yet that they are in the top half after receiving their letter.

I haven't received a letter yet. Are you all IS? So anxious. I checked last years thread and it seems like people were getting pulled from all quartiles some from the second and third before the first... I dk though last year seemed like a total mess.

Does it seem that everyone who has their status changed to waitList in the bottom half (3rd/4th quartile) and basically those with decision pending still are most likely the 1st and 2nd quartiles? I haven't seen anyone post yet that they are in the top half after receiving their letter.

No, my friend had his status change to wait list and is in the top half.

I haven't received a letter yet. Are you all IS? So anxious. I checked last years thread and it seems like people were getting pulled from all quartiles some from the second and third before the first... I dk though last year seemed like a total mess.
I haven't received my letter yet either and I'm IS! I feel like that means we should have gotten it by now but who knows. Here's to hoping that this year is not as much of a mess as last year.

I called the admissions office an hour ago and asked the lady that since I was placed in the bottom half of the waitlist if that means that I am in the 3rd or 4th quartile, and she said that it means that I am in the second quartile... but doesn't a quartile mean 4? Shouldn't there be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quartile? I feel like she was trying to imply that there was only a 1st and 2nd quartile and that the 1st quartile is the top half and the 2nd quartile is the bottom half. Just thought I would let you guys know what I found out so we can try to figure out what our statuses might mean :).

Also, I was placed in the bottom half and am in-state

I called the admissions office an hour ago and asked the lady that since I was placed in the bottom half of the waitlist if that means that I am in the 3rd or 4th quartile, and she said that it means that I am in the second quartile... but doesn't a quartile mean 4? Shouldn't there be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quartile? I feel like she was trying to imply that there was only a 1st and 2nd quartile and that the 1st quartile is the top half and the 2nd quartile is the bottom half. Just thought I would let you guys know what I found out so we can try to figure out what our statuses might mean :).

That makes me feel better. If "2nd quartile" is "bottom half," that would be great! Doesn't make sense, but at least I feel better haha. I'm also IS and I got "bottom half."

I would really just like to know how much movement we can expect to see on the waitlist and if it's at all likely that we could be accepted off the bottom half.

That's what I was trying to say with my original post on this whole quartile mess. It sounds like the 3rd and 4th quartile got straight rejections (or will) at some point. They seem to have split those who didn't get acceptances before 4/30 into quartiles, rejected the bottom two quartiles, and put the top two quartiles on the wait list. As a result, the first and second quartiles are really the top and bottom half of the waitlist.

That's what I was trying to say with my original post on this whole quartile mess. It sounds like the 3rd and 4th quartile got straight rejections (or will) at some point. They seem to have split those who didn't get acceptances before 4/30 into quartiles, rejected the bottom two quartiles, and put the top two quartiles on the wait list. As a result, the first and second quartiles are really the top and bottom half of the waitlist.
Did the person you spoke to mention that there were going to be 3rd and 4th quartiles mentioned in the letters?