2016-2017 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was anyone who was continued in October accepted today?

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. I was really high on Pritzker after the interview but being continued a bunch tells me they think I'm an expendable candidate that might easily be eclipsed by coming interviewees. Even if I get in late in the game I don't know if I can get past that.
Exactly! I don't like feeling like I'm expendable and they're just keeping me around in case nobody "better" in their view, applies. That's so disrespectful. And the way they expect us to grovel, and keep telling them how much we like Pritzker is just adding insult to injury.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly! I don't like feeling like I'm expendable and they're just keeping me around in case nobody "better" in their view, applies. That's so disrespectful. And the way they expect us to grovel, and keep telling them how much we like Pritzker is just adding insult to injury.
I'm in this position at another school and feel this 1000%.

@applesaucey @UNMedGa @artemis7 I was thinking this way too at first. However, I realized that this feeling would make much more sense if you are doing Ph.D. or MD/PhD (where advisors, research opportunities, administrative help matters a lot). For MD, I think they care about students but as a whole student body instead of as individuals. The opportunities you get in med school (over and beyond your peers), you will mostly get yourself. So I'm not sure if it really matters when you get in/how much they value you, as long as you get in. So basically, don't make an emotional decision when you are deciding where to go for the next four years.

@applesaucey @UNMedGa @artemis7 I was thinking this way too at first. However, I realized that this feeling would make much more sense if you are doing Ph.D. or MD/PhD (where advisors, research opportunities, administrative help matters a lot). For MD, I think they care about students but as a whole student body instead of as individuals. The opportunities you get in med school (over and beyond your peers), you will mostly get yourself. So I'm not sure if it really matters when you get in/how much they value you, as long as you get in. So basically, don't make an emotional decision when you are deciding where to go for the next four years.

I see where you're coming from and I agree to an extent, but I think for my situation it makes sense to feel the way I do. I've gotten into an equally ranked school where the professor who interviewed me sent me an email saying that I was exactly what they were looking for. When they emphasize fit so much, I think something small like when I got accepted can make a big difference with most other factors being equal.

I see where you're coming from and I agree to an extent, but I think for my situation it makes sense to feel the way I do. I've gotten into an equally ranked school where the professor who interviewed me sent me an email saying that I was exactly what they were looking for. When they emphasize fit so much, I think something small like when I got accepted can make a big difference with most other factors being equal.

I think that feeling you and others have makes sense if it isn't your top choice. And mentioning the equally ranked school echoes that too.

At least it seems when a school is someone's absolute top choice people can wait until July and still be ecstatic. So the fact that you feel that way may have some evaluative value.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I guess I understand that. I just wish this process were more transparent. Maybe I'm being naive, but I think if they have an idea of what they're looking for in the student body, they should tell us before we waste our time and money and we get our hopes up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Denied pre-II today by email. Complete since early August. The timing was unfortunate, as I was just preparing to send them a strong update. I love the University of Chicago and it has long been a dream of mine to be a part of that institution. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted - what an extraordinary accomplishment.

Denied pre-II today by email. Complete since early August. The timing was unfortunate, as I was just preparing to send them a strong update. I love the University of Chicago and it has long been a dream of mine to be a part of that institution. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted - what an extraordinary accomplishment.

Sorry to hear, there's always residency!
You were never on hold I presume?

Received an interview invite this morning!! At this point, will I be interviewing for the waitlist?

Anyone receive an II after being on hold ?

I'm guessing I'm getting rejected soon then. All the faces I remember being in the same situation got IIs this morning. Still "complete" (late August)

Congrats guys!!

I'm guessing I'm getting rejected soon then. All the faces I remember being in the same situation got IIs this morning. Still "complete" (late August)

Congrats guys!!

can you explain your second sentence?

II, complete mid-August, so excited!

This happened to me at Emory. After getting into my top choice, I went ahead and withdrew my candidacy there. The process is like dating; you want to go to a school that wants you.

Haha while I agree somewhat, come next Fall, if you were to go to such a school where you were initially continued at, neither you nor the school is gonna be worried/care about whether the school wanted you more or less than any other candidate.

Reactions: 5 users
II this morning! hope i don't freeze while i'm there :laugh:

I've thought this exact thing before. You don't really want to go to the school that looked at you and said "meh."

I'd happily take the last spot off the waitlist to attend my top schools!

Reactions: 7 users
Haha while I agree somewhat, come next Fall, if you were to go to such a school where you were initially continued at, neither you nor the school is gonna be worried/care about whether the school wanted you more or less than any other candidate.

It matters when you're choosing between schools though (or deciding to keep waiting, maintain interest with updates/letters). At least for me, call it superficial or whatever, but things like little communication, deferrals, poor interactions with an interviewer, students and administration, all affect my perception of schools.

Same here. One interviewer at Emory was exceedingly rude to me (probably the rudest interviewer I've encountered on the interview trail). Had I been accepted elsewhere then, I would've withdrawn as soon as I step out of the admissions office there. If I don't feel welcome at an institution on interview day, I'd rather not attend that school.

If I could do something over from this app cycle, it would be giving harsher feedback on the post-interview surveys... I've always been afraid to complain about interviewers for fear that it could come back to bite me later, but I feel bad when the dean says "we keep our interviews casual and conversational" and then the interview is neither of those things. It definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth, turns away good students, and the only way the school will find out about it is if people speak up.

Has anybody that interviewed MSTP heard anything except continuation?

I'd happily take the last spot off the waitlist to attend my top schools!

I guess I got lucky - I came into the app cycle with a top choice and they rejected me, but I also got way more attention generally than I expected, so I became pretty open to other schools and what they offer and was lucky enough to be accepted somewhere right out, and happen to also really like the school a lot. So the opportunity to mutually cool off on schools who cool off to me is probably somewhat of a luxury.

Last edited:
Same here. I was really high on Pritzker after the interview but being continued a bunch tells me they think I'm an expendable candidate that might easily be eclipsed by coming interviewees. Even if I get in late in the game I don't know if I can get past that.

Hey guys! I know that this process can seem very personal at times, but I promise you if you were continued it wasn't for any personal reasons. I know that at a lot of schools the majority of their class comes from continued students (WashU comes to mind) and I know that in my class at Pritzker a bunch of my classmates were on hold and some were waitlisted. I don't think there is any bad blood there.

Schools put a lot of emphasis on fit and crafting a class of students that provides the diversity of experiences for their entire class to learn from. This doesn't mean that if you took a more traditional path that you're any less of an applicant or anything, it's simply that they want a wide breadth of backgrounds. I have classmates who were lawyers and in the military and nurses and all types of interesting stuff. I know that the school likes to make sure that those different types of backgrounds are represented because it helps all of us learn accordingly. When we talk about veteran health it's really nice to have veterans in the room, same goes for a lot of different parts of society.

All in all what I'm saying is - don't take it personally! If we invited you for an interview we liked you and thought you were a great candidate! I totally understand your feeling though, as I had similar feelings during my interview experience.

PLEASE report this stuff! One of the reasons I chose Pritzker was because my interviews were so chill. We pride ourselves on that so please report anyone who is not adhering to that standard!

thanks for the encouragement. can you provide some perspective for us who were put on "hold" for a while, do we still get any chance to receive an II?

Last edited:
II 3 days ago (23rd). Lizzy m 76, complete early August. Current available interview days are January 10, 12, and 19.

Anyone receive an II after being on hold ?

I did last Friday night! I've been on hold for a couple months but sent them a pretty brief email reiterating my interest and miraculously got an invite the next day, haha.

I did last Friday night! I've been on hold for a couple months but sent them a pretty brief email reiterating my interest and miraculously got an invite the next day, haha.
Congrats! Mind sharing your complete date?

Congratulations, do you mind share your stats?