2016-2017 University of Chicago (Pritzker) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."
Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Additional Information. Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to applying here. It's my top choice, so I'm hoping for a little interview love.

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Likewise. Dream school. I don't have research experience, so fingers crossed they like my education / social justice background!

Members don't see this ad :)
UChicago has been my dream school since high school! Hoping my years of research help since my stats aren't crazy high...

Reactions: 1 users
Applying here, mostly because optimism isn't dead yet

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know how they view students who finished their prereqs at a Junior College before transferring? And what is their policy on multiple MCAT attempts? (average or take the latest)?

Secondary Received

Secondary questions (same as last year):

"At the University of Chicago, in an atmosphere of interdisciplinary scholarship and discovery, the Pritzker School of Medicine is dedicated to inspiring diverse students of exceptional promise to become leaders and innovators in science and medicine for the betterment of humanity."
Essay Question 1. Our Mission Statement above is an expression of our core purpose and educational philosophy. In particular, it highlights the value we place on diversity since we regard the diversity of the entering class as essential for educational excellence. Please write an essay on how you would enhance diversity at Pritzker and advance the Pritzker mission. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 550 words.

Essay Question 2. Tell us about a difficult or challenging situation you have encountered and how you dealt with it. In your response, identify both the coping skills you called upon to resolve the dilemma, and the support person(s) from whom you sought advice. We suggest that you limit your essay to about 400 words.

Additional Information. Please feel free to use this space to convey any additional information that you might wish the Committee to know. We suggest that you limit your text to about 200 words.

@WedgeDawg

Just got my secondary! Verified 6/7 :)

+1 secondary. One of my top choice schools. Woo!

+1 secondary
pre-verification!

Members don't see this ad :)
4d5b7de944fc0dd37ca1aff9950d92e2e9bd0d95739dd3189a81022eb80e3ae2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone submit the secondary and fee and letters, but the fee and letters aren't showing up as received in the website?

Yep. But the website says that sometimes it takes a few days to process applications. I wouldn't worry just yet, especially if you received the payment receipt email!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Is anyone writing anything for the Additional Information section? Maybe a "Why UChicago?" Or is it better to leave it blank?

Is anyone writing anything for the Additional Information section? Maybe a "Why UChicago?" Or is it better to leave it blank?

So long as there's a purpose to your extra info, and you're not just using up space. It doesn't hurt, but it can help. Whereas leaving it blank also won't hurt, but also won't help.

Did anyone submit the secondary and fee and letters, but the fee and letters aren't showing up as received in the website?

From what I remember, everything (or many things are) is updated manually, so it can take a day or two for things to happen. The admissions office at Pritzker is really amazing to do so much of that by hand!

How long is everyone's diversity statement? 550 words is pretty hefty!!! I am also struggling with how to incorporate how I would advance the mission. Do they mean while in school, in our careers, both?

How long is everyone's diversity statement? 550 words is pretty hefty!!! I am also struggling with how to incorporate how I would advance the mission. Do they mean while in school, in our careers, both?

I only used half of the word limit, I think it would have been a stretch for me to use more and I am pretty non-traditional. It seemed like they were basically saying diversity is part of their mission and so by being a unique person you are advancing that mission.

It seemed like they were basically saying diversity is part of their mission and so by being a unique person you are advancing that mission.

Oh gosh. I didn't even think about it that way. So you didn't specifically address how you will advance the mission? What you are saying totally makes sense, I just had thought of it as a separate question!

Got my secondary. Remember for Pritzker if you are a Fee Assistance applicant you have to email them you Fee Assistance approval to get the fee waiver - isn't applied automatically like with most schools. My guess is they get a few extra bucks out of requiring people to do an extra step haha

Secondary submitted! Now just have to wait for the interview hopefully.

did you address the mission in your diversity statement or leave it as diversity?
They asked me how I was diverse so I talked about that. I may have included something about how diversity is good for communities but that's about it.

Oh gosh. I didn't even think about it that way. So you didn't specifically address how you will advance the mission? What you are saying totally makes sense, I just had thought of it as a separate question!

Well I addressed some of the other topics they mentioned in their mission statement while talking about my unique qualities, but I mainly focused on basically explaining how I am different because again I think that is what they were looking for. Ultimately it is a diversity essay, so if you cover that I think it should be alright, but that's just my interpretation.

how hard and fast are the "we suggest that you limit your essay to.."? My greatest challenge essay is currently at 442. Is that okay, or should it be like no more than ~410?

how hard and fast are the "we suggest that you limit your essay to.."? My greatest challenge essay is currently at 442. Is that okay, or should it be like no more than ~410?

If you check last year's thread you'll see some discussion about this. It seems like it's not a huge deal if you go over. I let myself go over by no more than 50 words because I'm a bit verbose. I doubt anyone would count your words unless it was clearly excessively long.

II! Admissions seems to move quickly!

Reactions: 4 users
August 16. There's also August 18, 22, and 24

How long is it taking for your payment to show up on your portal? I submitted and payed over 24 hours ago, and it still doesn't show my payment as complete.

Got my first interview invite here! Anything I should cover before then?

Already sending out II's? Holy crap that's fast haha

Right? Big incentive to get this challenge essay done tonight! Mine is sitting at 600 words though! need to trim some fat.

The day it was released. I had the essays prewritten

The day it was released. I had the essays prewritten

I swear nothing beats pre writing - this would be so much more stressful if I didn't do it. Congrats on the II. My secondary got marked complete yesterday so I hope that means a II is forthcoming for me too!! Same stats as you 77-78

I swear nothing beats pre writing - this would be so much more stressful if I didn't do it. Congrats on the II. My secondary got marked complete yesterday so I hope that means a II is forthcoming for me too!! Same stats as you 77-78
I hope us lowly low 70 LizzyM's get some love too ;)

Reactions: 5 users
I wish all of you the best of luck! And thanks!
So the answer is yes to power stats IIs today. CONGRATS to you both. Hoping to follow in your footsteps with LizzyM ~ 75
PS ~75 is NOTHING to sneeze at!