2016-2017 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are MD/PhD applicants also considered for early acceptance? Do they accept them in the same batch of MD students are or they considered separately? I imagine it is more competitive since there is a lot less that get accepted. But there is also a lot less that apply.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone! I'm an M1 at UAMS, and I know the interview season is in full swing, so I thought I'd drop by to answer any questions that may be asked. I remember how helpful the student input was for me when I was applying and I figured I'd try to keep it going. Ms. DuPuy is a much better resource than me (check out her website!), but don't hesitate to ask me a question if you have one!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! I'm an M1 at UAMS, and I know the interview season is in full swing, so I thought I'd drop by to answer any questions that may be asked. I remember how helpful the student input was for me when I was applying and I figured I'd try to keep it going. Ms. DuPuy is a much better resource than me (check out her website!), but don't hesitate to ask me a question if you have one!

Do you know anyone from district 4 in your class? any idea of their AMCAS stats? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know anyone from district 4 in your class? any idea of their AMCAS stats? Thanks!

It's my understanding that Arkansas law requires that a relatively equal number of students from each district be accepted. There may be some caveats to this, but I'm not really aware of any, except that the admissions committee has a little bit of leeway with regard to OOS students (meaning a certain percentage of the class can be OOS), and that there are a few slots that can go to a qualified student from any district after a certain portion of the class has been filled.

All of that to say, I know plenty of people from the district 4 area in the class. We don't typically share stats with one another once we've been accepted, though, so I can't help much there (you'd be surprised how little your undergrad experience matters once you get here). Sorry I couldn't help more!

It's my understanding that Arkansas law requires that a relatively equal number of students from each district be accepted. There may be some caveats to this, but I'm not really aware of any, except that the admissions committee has a little bit of leeway with regard to OOS students (meaning a certain percentage of the class can be OOS), and that there are a few slots that can go to a qualified student from any district after a certain portion of the class has been filled.

All of that to say, I know plenty of people from the district 4 area in the class. We don't typically share stats with one another once we've been accepted, though, so I can't help much there (you'd be surprised how little your undergrad experience matters once you get here). Sorry I couldn't help more!

Thanks!!

Hello! OOS with ties to Arkansas (MO resident too). Anxious to hear from UAMS, but won't until earliest Dec?

Reactions: 1 user
Can we fast-forward to February?? This wait is killer!

Reactions: 5 users
The website says that the meeting to decide on OOS interviews is this Friday. I am not sure how closely they stick to the schedule posted on the website and how long it will take them to contact applicants for interviews but we should know relatively soon. I am OOS with ties too.

The website says that the meeting to decide on OOS interviews is this Friday. I am not sure how closely they stick to the schedule posted on the website and how long it will take them to contact applicants for interviews but we should know relatively soon. I am OOS with ties too.

I spoke with the office the other day and they said they are meeting Friday but we probably won't hear the same day. She said we should hear by the 15th though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
They make the big decision today. Here's to hoping all us OOS'ers get II.

how do you know? & would we get rejected today if no II?

The website says they decide on OOS applicants today December 9th. But they won't probably send an email out until sometime next week. I don't know when they send rejections.

Based on the postings in this thread in years past, in reference to out of state interview invites, I have seen that the committee sends OOS IIs on the day they meet to determine which candidates will receive invites. For example, in 2012 the committee met Dec. 14th. Just looked at the thread for that year and several people posted on here that they received OOS IIs on the same day. This has also been true for last year and year before. That being said, who knows if they all go out today! Best of luck to everyone! I'm a fellow OOSer and I'm crossing my fingers for all of us!

Friend of mine talked to someone on the committee and heard that we should hear something back by the 15th.

OOS interview invite at 5:27pm! Interview Jan 14th

So does anyone know if I didn't get an OOS II yesterday, am I out of the running?

Reactions: 1 users
In years past, the initial invites would be sent by email. Acceptances of those interview invites are then either affirmed or declined by return email. Be sure to always check your junk or spam file also. It was not unusual for some to land there since the invites are sent at once or in groups. There are a limited number of interview slots available, but it is not unusual to have several OSS decline to interview at this point in the process. When that happens, whoever is next on an "alternate interviewees list" will be sent an email. So remain hopeful and watchful. Once that window closes, usually before the holiday sometime, typically an email is sent to let those know who were reviewed but not selected to interview. The greater number invited are usually "with strong ties" but there are always others invited without ties who caught the attention of the Committee. Please know that there are so many qualified applicants who apply that not being invited doesn't mean you are not a qualified and excellent applicant. I wish you all successful outcomes!

Also, did you guys just reply to the email to confirm?

Yes, I responded accepting the invitation. She responded the next day and said she would be sending an email "next week" with more details about hotel arrangements and specific interview time.

Hey guys, I'm an M1 at UAMS and I was an OOS applicant. Just wanted to say congrats on getting interviews, a lot of OOS students apply here and they only accept about interview about 70 (I think, it's been a while) and accept about 20. So if you made it this far, they must like you! And fyi, it's a good idea to talk a bit about your Arkansas support system and ties to the state in your interview.
Good luck!

Did any in-staters receive an early accept yet? From past threads it looks like they usually send them out around this time. I think you can check on GUS as well.

Did any in-staters receive an early accept yet? From past threads it looks like they usually send them out around this time. I think you can check on GUS as well.
Nope. Talk about an amazing early Christmas present for all of those who end up getting it though!

Nope. Talk about an amazing early Christmas present for all of those who end up getting it though!

Oh yea, that would be amazing!

My guess is that they sent them out. I checked the academic schedule and all classes ended this week. Most academic institutional offices shut down the week before Christmas. They "officially" are supposed to mail out letters on the 18th, but that would be tomorrow. However, I assume nobody from admissions will be going out on a cold December Sunday afternoon to a closed post office to mail letters. If they did send them out, those academic powerhouses that got accepted will likely know from checking out their GUS landing page.

Anyone get accepted IS? Friend applying is wondering.

I am OOS but yes the early acceptances have gone out and quite a few people I know have been accepted, just FYI.

I am OOS but yes the early acceptances have gone out and quite a few people I know have been accepted, just FYI.
Thank you for letting us know! Did they mainly find out through mail? Is their GUS landing page updated to show that they were accepted? Thanks again!

Has anyone received the follow-up information email for the OOS interviewees? There are only so many times I can press refresh without going insane.

I haven't gotten it either. I figured they were just behind.

Has anyone received the follow-up information email for the OOS interviewees? There are only so many times I can press refresh without going insane.

Just received the OOS follow-up email. More info to come in early January.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone in their OOS interviews this weekend! :highfive:

It's about that time for early acceptance number 2.

Anyone know how acceptances are being given out this year? Is GUS actually being utilized or is it still snailmail?