2016-2017 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know how acceptances are being given out this year? Is GUS actually being utilized or is it still snailmail?
My buddy got one through snailmail for the first early acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
On our Gus landing page there is a "accept admission" tab. I would imagine that once someone is accepted it would be conveyed to GUS and that tab will show some kind decision. Maybe not though. Regardless, I will be compulsively checking that tab from now until the end of February lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Anybody get good news today or know anybody that got good news?

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody get good news today or know anybody that got good news?
If I understand correctly, the early admissions decisions were being mailed out today. Probably won't receive anything for a day or two.

So I recently saw an acceptance letter of someone who got accepted into the Dental Hygiene program at UAMS. In the letter it says, "In order to accept or decline this offer of admission, please log on to gus.uams.edu. You will navigate to the "Accept Admission" tab, and follow the steps to accept or decline your offer...." Apparently the "Accept Admission" tab was updated prior to this individual receiving the letter.

If the COM operates in the same manner, then I would imagine that those who get accepted in February will know before they actually receive a letter. That is, if they check their GUS page religiously.

But at the same time, acceptances are conditional at the COM so maybe they function differently. Does anybody have insight into this? Or has seen an acceptance letter for this year?

The letter asks you to sign and return a form. No mention of GUS. I haven't received one, but I've seen one.

Touché, last year indeed. Thank you for letting me know. Now I can chill on the GUS thing.
Letters will be USPS as usual. They're still working out GUS kinks as it is a new system. Most likely, your first interaction with GUS will be to accept financial aid, as that group was one of the first sections to get on board. The January letters are probably already in the mail by now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Wow, it is already February. In about 20 days letters go out. The admissions committee meets pretty soon to make the final decisions. I wonder how many applicants there were this year. This years thread seems a lot quieter than previous years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, it is already February. In about 20 days letters go out. The admissions committee meets pretty soon to make the final decisions. I wonder how many applicants there were this year. This years thread seems a lot quieter than previous years.

It has been a pretty quiet thread. I'm hoping that means good things for my application. :happy:

Last edited:
So I'm a student at UCA currently living in Conway, but my hometown is El Dorado. Is there any chance that calling them and telling them to send my letter to Conway would make them change me to the central district? Sorry if this is a dumb question lol, just trying to be cautious.

Last edited:
So I'm a student at UCA currently living in Conway, but my hometown is El Dorado. Is there any chance that calling them and telling them to send my letter to Conway would make them change me to the central district? Sorry if this is a dumb question lol, just trying to be cautious.
You just need to enter your AMCAS application to change your preferred address which will be used for mailing status letters. Once your do that, be sure to resubmit the app so the change is confirmed in AMCAS. It would be smart to exit the app and then re-enter it to double check the change was made. Preferred mailing addresses have no impact to your congressional district. You don't even have to call. You have time to do this, but don't wait too long.

My guess is that people will start getting letters on the Feb 24th &25th. Hopefully sooner though!! If we can endure this wait, we can endure anything!!

Letters should be mailed out by next Thursday or Friday from what I've been told. Hope all of us get good news! :)

I hope youre right. Did you hear that from admissions?
Crap, I got my weeks mixed up (working night shift has me all sorts of messed up)! It will be the following Thursday/Friday. So keep a look out from the 23rd onward! Sorry!!

Hey guys, first post on this thread, just been checking in and observing from afar. OOS from North Carolina but born and raised in AR, really hoping for an acceptance. Is everyone else as anxious as I am? And everyone else expecting this next week to be the longest week of their lives? :scared:

A current student there told me they received an email in the fall telling them that the number of applicants this cycle was down for UAMS, and they think maybe its cause of the two new schools in Arkansas.

Hey guys, first post on this thread, just been checking in and observing from afar. OOS from North Carolina but born and raised in AR, really hoping for an acceptance. Is everyone else as anxious as I am? And everyone else expecting this next week to be the longest week of their lives? :scared:

I am very anxious. It has been hard to stay focused. I hope we all get good news next week!

A current student there told me they received an email in the fall telling them that the number of applicants this cycle was down for UAMS, and they think maybe its cause of the two new schools in Arkansas.

That is really interesting. It makes sense though. UAMS has had a monopoly since the beginning, but now they have a little competition from these other schools. I would imagine that these schools have disproportionally pulled away UAMS applicants from districts one and three. I have a feeling that these schools will provide some incentive to change the district legislature thing. I mean now that there are three schools in Arkansas for Medical training, why should UAMS have to choose 25 people from each district? This may even lead to them starting to select a larger number of out of state applicants. Interesting times.

I am very anxious. It has been hard to stay focused. I hope we all get good news next week!

That is really interesting. It makes sense though. UAMS has had a monopoly since the beginning, but now they have a little competition from these other schools. I would imagine that these schools have disproportionally pulled away UAMS applicants from districts one and three. I have a feeling that these schools will provide some incentive to change the district legislature thing. I mean now that there are three schools in Arkansas for Medical training, why should UAMS have to choose 25 people from each district? This may even lead to them starting to select a larger number of out of state applicants. Interesting times.
The state law requires that 70% of the first 150 seats are equally distributed among the four congressional districts. There are 174 seats in the class. So, to meet the law, there must be 27 from each district in the class unless doing so would endanger the school's accreditation. Each year there is fluctuation in the number of applicants. I don't think there was a significant reduction of applicants in this cycle. The last cycle as I was about to retire was up a little. The tuition at the two DO schools is about double, so I think the draw may come from the pool of applicants whose metrics are good but perhaps not quite as competitive as those applying to allopathic schools. Secondly, a smaller number whose preference is for DO might draw off a small number. Thirdly, I suspect there may be a slight impact with re-applicants. Again, this will be a small number. I won't state the specific number, but several years ago there was quite a drop in the number of applicants, but we were still able to select an excellent class. I wish each of you the best outcome! If you don't receive an offer, check out my website: www.premedcoach.biz. Hope you don't need me!

Reactions: 3 users
The state law requires that 70% of the first 150 seats are equally distributed among the four congressional districts. There are 174 seats in the class. So, to meet the law, there must be 27 from each district in the class unless doing so would endanger the school's accreditation. Each year there is fluctuation in the number of applicants. I don't think there was a significant reduction of applicants in this cycle. The last cycle as I was about to retire was up a little. The tuition at the two DO schools is about double, so I think the draw may come from the pool of applicants whose metrics are good but perhaps not quite as competitive as those applying to allopathic schools. Secondly, a smaller number whose preference is for DO might draw off a small number. Thirdly, I suspect there may be a slight impact with re-applicants. Again, this will be a small number. I won't state the specific number, but several years ago there was quite a drop in the number of applicants, but we were still able to select an excellent class. I wish each of you the best outcome! If you don't receive an offer, check out my website: www.premedcoach.biz. Hope you don't need me!

Thank you for answering our questions! You are right. I had no idea that tuition was that drastically different between DO and MD

I just hope I'm competitive enough to make the District 4 list. I am freaking the heck out right now.

OOS from Texas, keeping all my fingers and toes crossed. What is everyone doing to keep their minds busy these next few days?

I just hope I'm competitive enough to make the District 4 list. I am freaking the heck out right now.
Happy to see another District 4 applicant on here! I didn't come across one when I interviewed.. Crazy! Hopefully we make it!

Happy to see another District 4 applicant on here! I didn't come across one when I interviewed.. Crazy! Hopefully we make it!
I talked to one and I know one! Let's hope we make the cut!!!! Ahhhhh! I was chill until I got on SDN today! This is going to be a crazy week!

I talked to one and I know one! Let's hope we make the cut!!!! Ahhhhh! I was chill until I got on SDN today! This is going to be a crazy week!
Hopefully there's only us 4 applying from here then ;) best of luck!!

OOS from Texas, keeping all my fingers and toes crossed. What is everyone doing to keep their minds busy these next few days?
I somehow managed to be off work for the next 5 days... I will be sleeping in a tent by my mailbox :rofl:

I somehow managed to be off work for the next 5 days... I will be sleeping in a tent by my mailbox :rofl:

Lmao my mailman is shady. He doesn't always deliver my mail on time. He better be in his toes after the 23rd lol

I'm district II which I think is a pretty competitive one. I'm starting to get sick just thinking about it..​

I'm district II which I think is a pretty competitive one. I'm starting to get sick just thinking about it..​
You're gonna be okay! You posted your states on another thread and you're competitive! You're gonna be great!!!!

So glad to know everyone else is freaking out too. :laugh::scared: We'll make it through somehow! I'm just trying to focus on classes and think about anything other than my mailbox.

You're gonna be okay! You posted your states on another thread and you're competitive! You're gonna be great!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement! I have a really good feeling about you as well. Hopefully in a week from now we will all be laughing at the fact that we were so anxious about these letters coming out.

Fellow OOS applicant from NC here! Anxiously awaiting the letter next week. I heard the admissions committee is wrapping up final decisions today at noon... our fates will be sealed very soon. Good luck to everyone!

Fellow OOS applicant from NC here! Anxiously awaiting the letter next week. I heard the admissions committee is wrapping up final decisions today at noon... our fates will be sealed very soon. Good luck to everyone!

Though I am appreciative of your insider trading, now I can feel the knots forming in my stomach. Best of luck everyone!

Hello fellow NC resident! Best of luck!
Let the longest week ever commence!

Since I live in Kansas, I have no expectations of getting this letter before next Monday.

I am not sure how true this is, but I heard from somebody who is a post doc at UAMS that they were sending them out on Tuesday. I asked this person how they knew and he/she said, "I have my connections." So... take it or leave it lol. Regardless, I am very nervous right now.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not sure how true this is, but I heard from somebody who is a post doc at UAMS that they were sending them out on Tuesday. I asked this person how they knew and he/she said, "I have my connections." So... take it or leave it lol. Regardless, I am very nervous right now.
:scared::xf:

seriously a nervous wreck but also kind of thinking I might get in because I was wait listed last year and my application has only gotten better?

seriously a nervous wreck but also kind of thinking I might get in because I was wait listed last year and my application has only gotten better?

Someone on the admissions committee told me that half the board thinks waitlisted students outta get in the next year and half don't necessarily think so, so if your app is stronger your definately in!!!! Good luck!!!

Someone on the admissions committee told me that half the board thinks waitlisted students outta get in the next year and half don't necessarily think so, so if your app is stronger your definately in!!!! Good luck!!!
I'm freaking out :( I'm from district 4 URM. Really don't know what my chances are at this point.

Rumor has it that the final round of acceptances are coming out around Feb. 24th so good luck to everyone!

that's good news! I literally moved to little rock from fayetteville in July in case I got in off the wait list for 2016. I've been working as a medical scribe since then. Plus my interview was better this year. fingers crossed y'all!