2016-2017 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,
Ties to AR can be more than family ties. Have you ever been to AR? Have you done a educational program here? Or anything? Are you from surrounding states? Is there a good reason why you want to come here? If you never been here at all, It can be very hard to get accepted to UAMS. Out of 174 people there are about 10 people who got accepted from out of state mostly from neighboring states the ones that I have talked to have been to AR before. Good luck.
Unfortunately I have not. Im from the east coast and never really even went to the midwest so I dont think im going to apply. Thank you very much for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

The Scholarship Committee usually meets as soon as they can. If they haven't met yet, they will soon. You can check the due date (April?) on your scholarship application and expect the committee will begin meeting soon thereafter. They will award and notify by mail and then continue to meet over the coming months until all scholarships are awarded. If someone defers or declines who had been awarded a scholarship, the money goes back into the pot to be awarded again. Bw sure to maintain your current address in the AMCAS application as they will use your preferred mailing address. Good luck!

Remembered reading this when I received a letter from UAMS (dated April 10, 2018) that I had been selected to receive a scholarship for the 18-19 school year. It is not a really big scholarship but it will definitely help and I am VERY appreciative. I remembered this post & was thinking there still may be a chance I could receive other scholarships from the committee...is that true? I ask because the letter states "AAMC traffic rules specify you must accept or relinquish offers by April 30, 2018" which I thought seemed to indicate they would have all scholarship offers awarded well before then. Any light you could shed on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Remembered reading this when I received a letter from UAMS (dated April 10, 2018) that I had been selected to receive a scholarship for the 18-19 school year. It is not a really big scholarship but it will definitely help and I am VERY appreciative. I remembered this post & was thinking there still may be a chance I could receive other scholarships from the committee...is that true? I ask because the letter states "AAMC traffic rules specify you must accept or relinquish offers by April 30, 2018" which I thought seemed to indicate they would have all scholarship offers awarded well before then. Any light you could shed on this would be much appreciated. Thanks!
The Scholarship Committee does try to get them awarded as quickly as they can, but it is not necessarily tied to the April 30th date. There is a chance, but I can't speak to how strong that chance might be. I wish you good fortune - literally!